Contact John Patsavellas
Areas of expertise
- Design, Strategy & Innovation
- Industrial Automation
- Manufacturing Systems
- Product and Service Design
- Smart Materials
- Sustainable Manufacturing
John Patsavellas is a senior lecturer in manufacturing management in Cranfield University having joined the UK’s most iconic postgraduate university following a career in the manufacturing industry spanning sectors as diverse as steel, food, paper products, pharma, fashion, building products and sanitaryware ceramics. He has been a boardroom director since 2004. John has an honours degree in mechanical engineering design from the University of Huddersfield, an MSc in manufacturing systems and management from the University of Bradford and an MBA from the University of Kingston. He has worked around the world, managing, buying, moving and building factories and deploying advanced technologies. His special interest and expertise lies in driving optimum efficiencies by the successful integration of people in the modern industrial reality, as well as designing the future aspects of sustainable productivity in high value manufacturing. John received the 2014 IMechE Manufacturing Excellence award for innovation in products and services. He has been the president of the European Resilient Flooring Manufacturers’ Institute (ERFMI) in Brussels, an active member of the All-Party Parliamentary Manufacturing Group (APMG) and an industrial visiting fellow of the School of Engineering in the University of Hertfordshire. John is a member of the IET’s Manufacturing Policy Panel and the IET’s Production and Design Sector.
- Manufacturing leadership & strategy
- Productivity improvement
- Operations management & leadership
- Supply Chain Management
- Robotics & automation
- Advanced materials applications
- General Management & Leadership
- Improving manufacturing operations
- Behavioural economics and medicine
Articles In Journals
- D'Souza R, Patsavellas J & Salonitis K (2020) Automated assembly of Li-ion vehicle batteries: A feasibility study, Procedia CIRP, 93 131-136.
- Okorie O, Ramesh S, Charnley F, David W, Patsavellas J & Salonitis K (2020) Manufacturing in the time of COVID-19: an assessment of barriers and enablers, IEEE Engineering Management Review, Available online 27 July 2020.
- Patsavellas J & Salonitis K (2019) The carbon footprint of manufacturing digitalization: Critical literature review and future research agenda, Procedia CIRP, 81 1354-1359.
- Puscasu O, Counsell N, Herfatmanesh MR, Peace R, Patsavellas J & Day R (2018) Powering lights with piezoelectric energy-harvesting floors, Energy Technology: Generation, Coversion, Storage, Distribution, 6 (5) 906-916.
- Litos L, Borzillo F, Patsavellas J, Cockhead D & Salonitis K (2017) Management tool design for eco-efficiency improvements in manufacturing - a case study, Procedia CIRP, 60 500-505.
- Saxena P, Murrell P, Sivarupan T, Patsavellas J, Salonitis K & Jolly MR (2021) Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on British foundries. In: 2021 TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition: TMS2021 Virtual, Online, 15-18 March 2021.
- Pimenidis E, Patsavellas J & Tonkin M (2021) Blockchain and artificial intelligence - managing a secure and sustainable supply chain. In: 13th International Conference on Global Security, Safety and Sustainability, Online, 14-15 January 2021.
- Patsavellas J, Salonitis K, Koziol K, Zakrewski L & Blackwood B (2020) Carbon nanotubes and graphene radiant heater printed on a cementitious flooring substrate: a feasibility study. In: TESConf 2020 - 9th International Conference on Through-life Engineering Services, Online, 3-4 November 2020.