Contact Joanna Zawadzka
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x2708
- Email: joanna.zawadzka@Cranfield.ac.uk
- Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=70749252&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile
Areas of expertise
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Digital Agriculture
- Monitoring & Environmental Informatics
- Natural capital
- Soil Resources
BackgroundJoanna attained her MSc degree jointly from Warsaw University of Life Sciences and Cranfield University, where she studied Protection of Environment and Geographical Information Management respectively. She acquired knowledge of processes occurring within all aspects of environment, coupled with technical skills essential for analysis and assessment of environmental resources. After graduating she joined Cranfield University where she embarked on research projects concerned with digital soil mapping and terrain analysis. In her work she is using a variety of remote sensing and GIS techniques as well as statistical modelling to extract information on soil and terrain characteristics. She is also conducting research related to carbon sequestration within various types of environment as well as Ecosystem Goods and Services Assessment.
Joanna Zawadzka has a strong interest in spatial data analysis in the context of the environmental mapping and modelling. She uses various GIS, remote sensing, and statistical methods to extract, analyse, and interpret data on natural environment, contributing to a variety of research and commercial projects.
Joanna's recent activities include:
- mapping soil resilience using digital soil mapping techniques within England and Wales;
- mapping land surface temperature for three English towns: Milton Keynes, Bedford, and Luton, as part of the Urban-BESS (Biodiversity and Ecosystem Service Sustainability) project;
- application of data-mining techniques for understanding water purification processes in artificial wetlands located within the South Florida Water Management District;
- conducting an ecosystem goods and services assessment for a new road development in Norfolk;
- researching carbon sequestration in soil and biomass under various types of vegetation including energy crops;
- teaching digital terrain analysis and digital soil mapping in the Advanced GIS and Environmental Resource Survey MSc modules.
- Central Networks
- Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC)
- EDF Energy
- EU Framework 7
- ISRIC - World Soil Information
- Joint Resarch Centre (Ispra)
- Mott MacDonald
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- Teagasc - Irish Environmental Protection Agency
Articles In Journals
- Zawadzka J, Corstanje R, Harris J & Truckell I (2019) Downscaling Landsat-8 land surface temperature maps in diverse urban landscapes using multivariate adaptive regression splines and very high resolution auxiliary data, International Journal of Digital Earth, Early online.
- Zawadzka JE, Corstanje R, Fookes J, Nichols J & Harris J (2017) Operationalizing the ecosystems approach: assessing the environmental impact of major infrastructure development, Ecological Indicators, 78 (July) 75-84.
- Albanito F, Beringer T, Corstanje R, Poulter B, Stephenson A, Zawadzka J & Smith P (2016) Carbon implications of converting cropland to bioenergy crops or forest for climate mitigation: a global assessment, GCB Bioenergy, 8 (1) 81-95.
- Corstanje R, Grafius DR, Zawadzka J, Moreira Barradas J, Vince G, Ivanoff D & Pietro K (2016) A datamining approach to identifying spatial patterns of phosphorus forms in the Stormwater Treatment Areas in the Everglades, US, Ecological Engineering, 97 567-576.
- Zawadzka J, Mayr T, Bellamy P & Corstanje R (2015) Comparing physiographic maps with different categorisations, Geomorphology, 231 94-100.
- Taalab K, Corstanje R, Zawadzka J, Mayr T, Whelan MJ, Hannam JA & Creamer R (2015) On the application of Bayesian Networks in Digital Soil Mapping, Geoderma, 259-260 134-148.
- Busby JP, Entwisle D, Hobbs P, Jackson P, Johnson N, Lawley R, Linley K, Mayr T, Palmer R, Raines M, Reeves H, Tucker S & Zawadzka J (2012) A GIS for the planning of electrical earthing, Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology, 45 (3) 379-390.
- Simo I, Constanje R, Fealy R, Hallett SH, Hannam J, Holden N, Jahns G, Jones B, Massey P, Mayr T, McDonald E, Reidy B, Schulte R, Sills P, Spaargaren O, Zawadka J & Creamer RE (2014) Mapping Soils in Ireland. In: GlobalSoilMap: Basis of the global spatial soil information system, CRC Press.
- Mayr T, Rivas Casado M, Bellamy P, Palmer R, Zawadzka J & Corstanje R (2010) Two methods for using legacy data in digital soil mapping. In: Digital soil mapping: bridging research, environmental application, and operation. Boettinger JL, Howell DW, Moore AC, Hartemink AE, Kienast-Brown S (ed.), Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer, p. 191-202.