Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Structures
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Aerospace Materials
Dr Iroizan Ubulom is a research fellow in Aircraft Engine Structures, Systems Integration and Aero Performance at the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre, School of Power and Propulsion at Cranfield University (CU), UK.
Prior to this role, Dr
Ubulom completed his Doctorate degree at the University of New South Wales, Australia,
investigating the problem of fatigue and high-temperature creep deformation on
a gas turbine engine blade by using a fluid-structure interaction approach. Dr
Ubulom also holds a Master’s degree in Gas Turbine Technology from Cranfield
University in 2012 and a Bachelor’s degree in Aircraft Maintenance from the
Malaysian Institute of Aviation Technology in 2011. Dr Ubulom also has prior
work experience at various organisations including: Mitsubishi Hitachi Power
System, Malaysian Airlines and ExxonMobil Corporations. He is a member of AIAA
and a certified professional engineer with Engineers Australia.
In his current role as a research fellow at the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre, Cranfield University. Dr Ubulom is involved in several projects covering: Aircraft performance assessment, airframe/powerplant integration analyses for a newly proposed passenger aircraft configuration, High-altitude Pseudo satellites systems, engine performance predictions and techno-economic airframe studies.
Articles In Journals
- Ubulom I (2021) Influence of fluid-structure interaction modelling on the stress and fatigue life evaluation of a gas turbine blade, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 235 (5) 1019-1038.
- Ubulom I (2020) Application of Spectral Method for Vibration-Induced High-Cycle Fatigue Evaluation of an High-Pressure Turbine Blade, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Available online 11 November 2020 (6) Article No. GTP-20-1395. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4049099
- Ubulom IA, Neely AJ & Shankar K (2017) Fluid-structure interactions for high-cycle fatigue life investigation of gas turbine blades. In: 23rd International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines (ISABE 2017): Economy, Efficiency and Environment, Manchester, UK, 4-8 September 2017.
- Ubulom IA, Fien A, Neely AJ & Shankar K (2016) Turbine blade life prediction using fluid-thermal-structural interaction simulation. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2016: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition, Seoul, 13-17 June 2016.
- Ubulom IA, Krishna K & Neely AJ (2015) Fatigue and fracture parameter estimation of a turbine blade. In: 22nd International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines (ISABE) 2015, Phoenix, AZ, 25-30 October 2015.
- Ubulom IA, Shankar K & Neely AJ (2015) Turbine blade life prediction using fluid-thermal-structural interaction modelling. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2015: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2015), Montreal, Québec, 15-19 June 2015.
- Ubulom IA, Neely AJ & Shankar K (2014) Heat transfer prediction of a turbine stage using fluid-thermal-structural interaction simulation. In: 19th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, Melbourne, 8-11 December 2014.