Areas of expertise
- Communications Systems
- Defence Info Systems
Ian is an experienced, conscientious, highly regarded researcher, consultant and academic specializing in emerging technologies, information systems development methodologies, digital business strategy, and networking and communications technologies.
Ian completed his undergraduate degree at Sheffield University, this was followed by a PGCert in IT and Urban History which was awarded jointly by Leicester University and Leiden University. He then completed a MSc in Information Management at Sheffield University.
Ian has worked at Sheffield University, Oxford University, Edinburgh Napier University, and Swansea University. He has been an external examiner at Bolton University, Edinburgh Napier University, Staffordshire University and Bedfordshire University. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Ian has over 25 years’ experience in academia working on projects that cover a wide range of topics including strategic management, tactical communications, service-based architecture, cyber defence, agile project management and agile systems development.
Ian has extensive experience of research and consultancy practice, including writing successful bids for new research and consultancy funding, representing UK interests on NATO research task groups and working with a wide range of stakeholders. Ian has significant abilities in demonstrating and disseminating the products of research and consultancy through publications, running workshops and presentations at international conferences and workshops. He has extensive client project management experience, along with excellent presentation, oral communication and written skills.
Ian is Course Director for the leading MOD educational course in Cyber Defence (CDIA) and is a module manager for modules that include emerging technologies, information systems development methods and tools, digital business strategy and incident management.
I am currently recruiting for doctoral research students in the areas of software defined networks. Please get in
contact if you are interested in pursuing a doctorate in this area.
- UK MOD
Articles In Journals
- Hidalgo A, Szabo I, Le Brun L, Owens I, Fletcher G & Hill M An Evidenced-Based Approach to Scoping Reviews, Electronic Journal of Information Systems Evaluation, 14 (1) 46-52.
- McAvoy J, Sammon D & Owens I (2007) A Simple Tool to Assist in Agile Methodology Adoption Decisions, Journal of Decision Systems, 16 (4) 451-469.
- Owens I, Beynon-Davies P & Williams MD (2004) The electronic procurement of ideas, International Journal of Technology Management, 2 (1) 3-19.
- Beynon-Davies p, Owens I & Williams M.D. (2004) Information Systems Evaluation and the Information Systems Development Process, Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 17 (4) 276-282.
- Nightingale J, Wang Q, Calero JM, Owens I, Johnsen FT, Hafs T & Manso M. (2016) Reliable full motion video services in disadvantaged tactical radio networks. In: International Conference on Military Communications and Information Systems, ICMCIS 2016, Brussels, Belgium, 23-24 May 2016.
- Nightingale J, Wang Q, Calero JM, Owens I & Grecos C (2015) Enhancing visual communications capabilities in tactical networks. In: International Conference on Military Communications and Information Systems, ICMCIS 2015, Cracow, Poland, 18-19 May 2015.
- Manso M, Calero JM, Barz C, Bloebaum TH, Chan K, Jansen N, Johnsen FT, Markarian G, Meiler PP, Owens I, Sliwa J & Wang Q (2015) SOA and wireless mobile networks in the tactical domain: results from experiments. In: Military Communications Conference, MILCOM 2015, Tampa, FL, 26-28 October 2015.
- Djamaa B., Richardson M., Barker P. & Owens I. (2015) Discovery of things: A fully-distributed opportunistic approach. In: IEEE 81st Vehicular Technology Conference, Glasgow, 11-14 May 2015.
- Owens I & Cunningham J (2012) The identification of service oriented architecture-specific critical success factors.. In: ECIME 2012 Proceedings of the 6th European Conference on Information Management and Evaluation, Cork, Ireland, 13-14 November 2012.
- Hidalgo LA, Owens I & Fletcher G (2011) An Evaluation of Web Services and Proxy Solutions.. In: European Conference on Information Management and Evaluation, Lisbon, Portugal, 9 September 2010.
- Sammon D, McAvoy J & Owens I (2009) Agile teams: reflective debate and shared understanding.. In: ECIME 2009 - 3rd European Conference on Information Management and Evaluation, Gothenburg, Sweden, 17-18 September 2009.
- Owens I, Beynon-Davies P & Williams MD (2004) Beyond Access: Bridging the Digital Divide. In: The proceedings of the 12th European conference paper on Information Systems, Finland, 1 June 2004.
- Owens I, Beynon-Davies P & Williams MD (2003) Electronic consultation at the National Assembly for Wales. In: Proceedings of the 11th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) *nominated for best paper award, Naples, 16-21 June 2003.
- Owens I, Beynon-Davies P, Williams MD & Hill R (2003) Electronic consultation: the case of the national assembly of Wales. In: ISOne World conference paper Proceedings, Information Institute ISBN 0905304438, 1 January 2003.
- Owens I & Shreuder F (2002) Telemedicine capabilities at the Welsh Regional Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery. In: Proceedings of 12th Annual BIT conference paper, Manchester, ISBN 0905304438, 1 January 2002.
- Owens I (2001) E-commerce in utilisation in SMEs IN South Wales. In: Proc. 6th UKAIS conference paper, Portsmouth ISBN 09540705, 1 January 2001.
- Owens I, Beynon-Davies P & Williams MD (2001) e-Government and the National Assembly of Wales. In: Proceedings of the European conference on eGovernment, Reading, ISBN 0-954-48801-4, 1 January 2001.
- Owens I & Beynon-Davies P (2001) A survey of electronic commerce utilisation in small and medium sized enterprises in S Wales: research in progress. In: Proc. 9th European conference paper on Information Systems, Slovenia, ISBN 9612321213, 1 January 2001.
- Owens I & Beynon-Davies P (2001) Professionalisation strategies and information systems. In: Proc. 6th UKAIS conference paper, Portsmouth ISBN 09540705, 1 January 2001.
- Hidalgo A, Le Brun L, Szabo I & Owens I Adopting Evidence Based Methods for Conducting Literature Reviews; Evidence from Three Studies. In: European Conference on Information Management and Evaluation, Lisbon, Portugal, 9 September 2010.