Contact Elizabeth Box
Areas of expertise
- Ergonomics, Human Factors, Driver Safety
- Safety, Resilience, Risk & Reliability
Elizabeth Box is a part-time PhD Research Student at the Driving Research group, under the supervision of Dr Lisa Dorn. Elizabeth is also Research Director at the RAC Foundation, a transport policy and research organisation which explores the economic, mobility, safety and environmental issues related to roads and their users in the UK.
Elizabeth has an MA in Geography, from Trinity College, University of Cambridge and an MSc in Transport Planning from Oxford Brookes University. She is an advisor on a number of road safety industry and government project boards, a judge for the annual Prince Michael International Road Safety Awards and a Fellow of the TRL Academy. Elizabeth is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute for Highways and Transport and a member of the Consortium of Adolescent Road Safety (CADROSA). Elizabeth is trained in several facilitation techniques including the ICA ToP Focused Conversation Method & the ToP Consensus Workshop Method. Elizabeth is also a SeriousWork Certified Facilitator of LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® Methods and Materials.
Elizabeth’s PhD research focuses on taking a systems approach to improve young driver road safety. The overall aim of her thesis research is to evaluate whether the content and format of pre-driver theatre and workshop interventions can help pre-drivers to develop effective strategies for coping with road related risk.
The research is being supported by the RAC Foundation, National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC), Kent Fire & Rescue Service, Road Safety GB, the Department for Transport and the Road Safety Trust. For more information, please visit the project site at https://www.racfoundation.org/collaborations/pre-driver-theatre-workshop-education-research-pdtwer or see the ISRCTN study trial record ISRCTN71350920 https://doi.org/10.1186/ISRCTN71350920.
Articles In Journals
- Greenwood IM, Box E, Helman S & Jones S (2020) Safety of young drivers, BMJ, 371 (m4614).
- Jones S, McKenna F, Stradling S, Christie N, Mullarkey T, Davies D, Box E, Townsend J & Dalton J (2015) Crashes involving young drivers, BMJ, 350.
- Jones S, McKenna F, Stradling S, Christie N, Mullarkey T, Davies D, Box E, Townsend J & Dalton J (2014) Green paper on safety of young drivers has stalled, BMJ, 348.