Contact Dr Zhugen Yang
Areas of expertise
- Biomedical Engineering
- Biosensors & Diagnostics
- Environment and Health
- Food Safety
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Monitoring and Environmental Informatics
- Water Science and Engineering
Dr Zhugen Yang earned his PhD in Micro and Nanotechnology from the University of Lyon (Ecole Centrale) in France, and MSc (SYSU) and BEng (HIT) in China. After completing a postdoc at the University of Cambridge, he was awarded EU Marie Curie Fellow at the University of Bath, when he was seconded to Norwegian Institute of Water Research (NIVA) in Oslo, Norway.
He received a prestigious UK NERC Fellowship in 2018 to start his independent academic career and established the research group of Advanced Sensors for Water-Environment-Health nexus. He was appointed as a Lecturer at James Watt School of Engineering at the University of Glasgow before the group moved to Cranfield University in 2019.
His research has been sponsored with over £1.2 million, from UKRI (EPSRC, NERC, BBSRC), Royal Academy of Engineering and industry, leading to over 40 referred articles (including PNAS, ES&T, Water Res, ACS Sensors, Anal Chem, Biosens Bioelectron) and conference presentations.
We currently have fully funded UK/oversea PhD students (UK/oversea) starting in Fall 2020.
We are consistently recruited talented PhD candidates in the areas of chemical, biological and microbial sensors, microfluidics, paper-based devices, molecular diagnosis, water quality, environmental health, analytical chemistry and illicit drugs of abuse. Please contact Dr Yang for query.
Postdoc and visiting fellows
Currently, the group has no openings for postdoc but we are always keen to support talented scientists in applying the third funding source (e.g. Leverulme Trust, Royal Commission 1851, UK Newton fellowship, EU Marie Curie) to explore exciting areas of scientific research.
Master's and placements
If you are interested for an inter or short-term project (no shorter than three months), please contact Dr Yang for further discussion.
Dr Yang is currently heading the sensors lab at Cranfield Water Science Institute (CWSI). His multidisciplinary team focuses on the development of low-cost, rapid and point-of-use sensors and devices for environmental science (e.g. microbial contamination in drinking water), public health (e.g. infectious, illicit drugs), and biomedical diagnostics (e.g. infectious disease and cancer).
He has recently developed a low-cost paper origami device for rapid diagnosis of infectious disease in India and field-tested malaria in Uganda, Africa. His Fellowship aims to develop lab-on-a-paper for and microbial source tracking and monitoring microbial contamination in drinking water. The device has been recently used for early warning COVID-19 with wastewater-based epidemiology, and feature in Science and other public media.
- £506,452, UK NERC NPIF Innovation Fellowship, (PI, 2018 – 2021, NE/R013349/1); with Scottish Water
- £310,286, UK Royal Academy of Engineering, (PI, 2020 – 2023, FF\1920\1\36); with Federal University Lafia, Nigeria & Cameron;
- £200,000, UK BBSRC, (Co-I, 2018 – 2020, BB/S004335/1); with Cefas, Cromarty Mussels Ltd.
- £122,008, UK EPSRC DTP PhD studentship, (Co-I, 2020-2023), with Thames Water
- £20,000, UK Royal Academy of Engineering, (PI, 2018 – 2020, FoDSF\1819\1\8); with Federal University Lafia
- £24,000, UK Royal Academy of Engineering, (Co-I, 2018 - 2019, FoEST1819\T6\4); with Tran Hung Dao University Hospital, Vietnam;
- £3,500 UK Scottish Research Partnership in Engineering (PI, 2018 – 2019, PECRE1819/05); with SUSTech, China
- Marie Curie Research Fellow, EU (2013- 2015), University of Bath, UK
NERC, EPSRC, BBSRC, Royal Academy of Engineering, Scottish Partnership of Research Funds, Scottish Water
Articles In Journals
- Mao K, Zhang H, Pan Y, Zhang K, Cao H, Li X & Yang Z (2020) Nanomaterial-based aptamer sensors for analysis of illicit drugs and evaluation of drugs consumption for wastewater-based epidemiology, Trends in Analytical Chemistry, Available online 06 July 2020 Article No. 115975.
- Bhalla N, Pan Y, Yang Z & Payam A (2020) Opportunities and challenges for biosensors and nanoscale analytical tools for pandemics: COVID-19, ACS Nano, Available online 18 June 2020.
- Mao K, Zhang H, Wang Z, Cao H, Zhang K, Li X & Yang Z (2020) Nanomaterial-based aptamer sensors for arsenic detection, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 148 (January) Article No. 111785.
- Mao K, Zhang H, Yang Z, (2020) Can a paper-based device trace COVID-19 sources with wastewater-based epidemiology?, Environmental Science and Technology, Available online 23 March 2020 (7).
- Mao K, Min X, Zhang H, Zhang K, Cao H, Guo Y & Yang Z (2020) Paper-based microfluidics for rapid diagnostics and drug delivery, Journal of Controlled Release, Available online 10 March 2020.
- Castrignano E, Yang Z, Feil E, Bade R, Castiglioni S, Casuanilles A, Gracia-Lor E, Hernandez F, Plosz B, Ramin P, Rousis N, Ryu Y, Thomas K, de Voogt P, Zuccato E & Kasprzyk-Hordern B (2020) Enantiomeric profiling of quinolones and quinolone resistance gene qnrS in European wastewaters, Water Research, Available online 10 March 2020, Article No. 115653.
- Chang C, Chen C, Yin R, Shen Y, Mao K, Yang Z, Feng X & Zhang H (2020) Bioaccumulation of Hg in rice leaf facilitates selenium bioaccumulation in rice (Oryza sativa L.) leaf in the Wanshan mercury mine, Environmental Science and Technology, Available online 26 February 2020 (6).
- Li P, Wang Z, Song R, Qian W, Wen P, Yang Z & He D (2020) Customizable fabrication for auxetic graphene assembled macrofilms with high conductivity and flexibility, Carbon, Available online 25 February 2020.
- Mao K, Ma J, Li X & Yang Z (2019) Rapid duplexed detection of illicit drugs in wastewater using gold nanoparticle conjugated aptamer sensors, Science of the Total Environment, 688 (October) 771-779.
- Reboud J, Xu G, Garrett A, Adriko M, Yang Z, Tukahebwa EM, Rowell C & Cooper JM (2019) Paper-based microfluidics for DNA diagnostics of malaria in low resource underserved rural communities, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 116 (11) 4834-4842.
- Yang Z, Xu G, Reboud J, Ali SA, Kaur G, McGiven J, boby n, Gupta P, Chaudhuri P & Cooper JM (2018) Rapid veterinary diagnosis of bovine reproductive infectious diseases from semen using paper-origami DNA microfluidics, ACS Sensors, 3 (2) 403-409.
- Castrignano E, Yang Z, Bade R, Baz-Lomba JA, Castiglioni S, Causanilles A, Covaci A, Gracia-Lor E, Hernandez F, Kinyua J, McCall AK, van Nuijs ALN, Ort C, Plosz BG, Ramin P, Rousis NI, Ryu Y, Thomas KV, de Voogt P, Zuccato E & Kasprzyk-Hordern B (2018) Enantiomeric profiling of chiral illicit drugs in a pan-European study, Water Research, 130 151-160.
- Alzahrani H, Antoine C, Aoki K, Baker L, Balme S, Bentley C, Bhattacharya G, Bohn PW, Cai Q, Cao C, Commandeur D, Crooks RM, Edwards M, Ewing A, Fu KY, Galeyeva A, Gao R, Hersbach T, Hillman R, Hu YX, Jiang L, Kanoufi F, Kranz C, Liu SC, Loffler T, Long YT, MacPherson J, McKelvey K, Minteer S, Mirkin M, Mount A, Nichols R, Nogala W, Ohl D, Qiu KP, Ren H, Rudd J, Schuhmann W, Siwy Z, Tian ZQ, Unwin P, Wang YX, Wilde P, Wu YF, Yang ZG & Ying YL (2018) Processes at nanoelectrodes: general discussion, Faraday Discussions, 210 235-265.
- Wei B, Mao K, Liu N, Zhang M & Yang Z (2018) Graphene nanocomposites modified electrochemical aptamer sensor for rapid and highly sensitive detection of prostate specific antigen, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 121 41-46.
- Alzahrani H, Bentley C, Bohn PW, Chikere C, Commandeur D, Crooks RM, Ehi-Eromosele C, Ewing A, Galeyeva A, Hersbach T, Hillman R, Kanoufi F, Koper M, Kranz C, Loffler T, Long YT, MacPherson J, McKelvey K, Minteer S, Mirkin M, Nichols R, Nogala W, Ohl D, Pelta J, Ren H, Rudd J, Schuhmann W, Tian ZQ, Unwin P, Vezzoli A, Willets K, Wu YF, Yang ZG, Zhan DP & Zhao CA (2018) Energy conversion at nanointerfaces: general discussion, Faraday Discussions, 210 333-351.
- Alzahrani H, Bentley C, Burrows R, Cao C, Cai Q, Chikere C, Crooks RM, Dunevall J, Edwards M, Ewing A, Gao R, Hillman R, Kahram M, Kanoufi F, Kranz C, Lemineur JF, Long YT, McKelvey K, Mirkin M, Moore S, Nogala W, Ren H, Schuhmann W, Unwin P, Vezzoli A, White H, Willets K, Yang ZG & Ying YL (2018) Dynamics of nanointerfaces: general discussion, Faraday Discussions, 210 451-479.
- Mao K, Zhou Z, Han S, Zhou X, Hu J, Li X & Yang Z (2018) A novel biosensor based on Au@Ag core-shell nanoparticles for sensitive detection of methylamphetamine with surface enhanced Raman scattering, Talanta, 190 263-268.
- Rousis NI, Gracia-Lor E, Zuccato E, Bade R, Baz-Lomba JA, Castrignanò E, Causanilles A, Covaci A, de Voogt P, Hernàndez F, Kasprzyk-Hordern B, Kinyua J, McCall A, Plósz BG, Ramin P, Ryu Y, Thomas KV, van Nuijs A, Yang Z & Castiglioni S (2017) Wastewater-based epidemiology to assess pan-European pesticide exposure, Water Research, 121 (September) 270-279.
- Yang Z, Xu G, Reboud J, Kasprzyk-Hordern B & Cooper JM (2017) Monitoring genetic population biomarkers with wastewater-based epidemiology, Analytical Chemistry, 89 (18) 9941-9945.
- Gracia-Lor E, Rousis NI, Zuccato E, Bade R, Baz-Lomba JA, Castrignanò E, Causanilles A, Hernández F, Kasprzyk-Hordern B, Kinyua J, McCall A, van Nuijs ALN, Plósz BG, Ramin P, Ryu Y, Santos MM, Thomas K, de Voogt P, Yang Z & Castiglioni S (2017) Estimation of caffeine intake from analysis of caffeine metabolites in wastewater, Science of the Total Environment, 609 1582-1588.
- Gracia-Lor E, Castiglioni S, Bade R, Been F, Castrignano E, Covaci A, Gonzalez-Marino I, Hapeshi E, Kasprzyk-Hordern B, Kinyua J, Lai FY, Letzel T, Lopardo L, Meyer MR, O'Brien J, Ramin P, Rousis NI, Rydevik A, Ryu Y, Santos MM, Senta I, Thomaidis NS, Veloutsou S, Yang Z, Zuccato E & Bijlsma L (2017) Measuring biomarkers in wastewater as a new source of epidemiological information: Current state and future perspectives, Environment International, 99 131-150.
- Mao K, Yang Z, Li J, Zhou X, Li X & Hu J (2017) A novel colorimetric biosensor based on non-aggregated Au@Ag core–shell nanoparticles for methamphetamine and cocaine detection, Talanta, 175 338-346.
- Mao K, Yang ZG, Du P, Xu ZQ, Wang ZL & Li XQ (2016) G-quadruplex-hemin DNAzyme molecular beacon probe for the detection of methamphetamine, RSC Advances, 6 (67).
- Yang Z, Castrignano E, Estrela P, Frost CG & Kasprzyk-Hordern B (2016) Community sewage sensors towards evaluation of drug use trends: detection of cocaine in wastewater with DNA-directed immobilization aptamer sensors, Scientific Reports, 6 Article No. 21024.
- Yang Z, D'Uriac MA, Goggins S, Kasprzyk-Hordern B, Thomas KV, Frost CG & Estrela P (2015) A novel DNA biosensor using a ferrocenyl intercalator applied to the potential detection of human population biomarkers in wastewater, Environmental Science and Technology, 49 (9) 5609-5617.
- Yang Z, Kasprzyk-Hordern B, Goggins S, Frost CG & Estrela P (2015) A novel immobilization strategy for electrochemical detection of cancer biomarkers: DNA-directed immobilization of aptamer sensors for sensitive detection of prostate specific antigens, The Analyst, 140 (8) 2628-2633.
- Yang Z, Kasprzyk-Hordern B, Frost CG, Estrela P & Thomas KV (2015) Community sewage sensors for monitoring public health, Environmental Science and Technology, 49 (10) 5845-5846.
- Yang Z, Chevolot Y, Gehin T, Solassol J, Mange A, Souteyrand E & Laurenceau E (2013) Improvement of protein immobilization for the elaboration of tumor-associated antigen microarrays: Application to the sensitive and specific detection of tumor markers from breast cancer sera, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 40 (1) 385-392.
- Yang Z, Chevolot Y, Gehin T, Dugas V, Xanthopoulos N, Laporte V, Delair T, Ataman-Onal Y, Choquet-Kastylevsky G, Souteyrand E & Laurenceau E (2013) Characterization of three amino-functionalized surfaces and evaluation of antibody immobilization for the multiplex detection of tumor markers involved in colorectal cancer, Langmuir, 29 (5) 1498-1509.
- Sui N, Monnier V, Yang Z, Chevolot Y, Laurenceau E, Souteyrand E & Dugas V (2012) Preparation of core-shell silver/silica nanopaticles and their application for enhancement of cyanine 3 fluorescence, International Journal of Nanoscience, 11 (04) Article No. 1240020.
- Yang Z, Chevolot Y, Ataman-Onal Y, Choquet-Kastylevsky G, Souteyrand E & Laurenceau E (2012) Cancer biomarkers detection using 3D microstructured protein chip: Implementation of customized multiplex immunoassay, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 175 22-28.
- Laurenceau E, Yang ZG, Chevolot Y, Attaman Y, Choquet-Kastylevsky G & Souteyrand E (2011) Tumor antigens titration on novel miniaturized immunoassay: 3D-Protein chip performance evaluation, Bulletin du Cancer, 98 S70-S70.
- Yang Z & Mai K (2011) Nonisothermal crystallization and melting behavior of beta-mucleated isotactic polypropylene and polyamide 66 blends, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 119 (6) 3566-3573.
- Yang Z, Laurenceau E, Chevolot Y, Önal YA, Choquet-Kastylevsky G & Souteyrand E (2011) Cancer biomarkers detection using microstructured protein chip: implementation of customized multiplex immunoassay, Procedia Engineering, 25 952-955.
- Yang Z & Mai K (2010) Crystallization and melting behavior of beta-nucleated isotactic polypropylene/polyamide 6 blends with maleic anhydride grafted polyethylene-vinyl acetate as a compatibilizer, Thermochimica Acta, 511 (1-2) 152-158.
- Yang Z, Zhang Z, Tao Y & Mai K (2009) Preparation, crystallization behavior, and melting characteristics of beta-nucleated isotactic polypropylene blends with polyamide 6, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 112 (1) 1-8.
- Yang Z, Chen C, Liang D, Zhang Z & Mai K (2009) Melting characteristic and beta-crystal content of beta-nucleated polypropylene/polyamide 6 alloys prepared using different compounding methods, Polymer International, 58 (12) 1366-1372.
- Zhang Z, Tao Y, Yang Z & Mai K (2008) Preparation and characteristics of nano-CaCO3 supported beta-nucleating agent of polypropylene, European Polymer Journal, 44 (7) 1955-1961.
- Yang Z, Zhang Z, Tao Y & Mai K (2008) Effects of polyamide 6 on the crystallization and melting behavior of P-nucleated polypropylene, European Polymer Journal, 44 (11) 3754-3763.
- Zhang Z, Wang C, Yang Z, Chen C & Mai K (2008) Crystallization behavior and melting characteristics of PP nucleated by a novel supported beta-nucleating agent, Polymer, 49 (23) 5137-5145.