Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation & Sensors
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Sensor Technologies
- Structures and Materials
Dr Zhaorong Huang obtained his MSc in Physics from Beijing University and PhD in condensed matter physics. He worked mainly on the structural characterisation of materials using transmission and scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy techniques on subjects such as quasicrystals, reforming catalysts, and pyroelectric materials before joining Cranfield University in 1996.
He became a Senior Research Fellow in 2001 and since then has developed his research interests on the development of functional materials and devices.
He leads a group working on the application of functional materials, and nanotechnology, especially on the following areas:peizoelectric materials and devices; functional nanowires, functionalization of carbon composites, and sustainable elelctrochemical promotion of catalysis.
Dr Zhaorong Huang is a Senior Research Fellow in Functional Materials Physics.
He is the course director for the MSc course Applied Nanotechnology. Supervised PhD and MSc students from China, India, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, USA, EU and UK.
His current research interests and activities are:
- Piezoelectric actuators and ferroelectric thin films
- Pyroelectric materials and devices
- Electrochemical promotion of catalysis
- Functionalization of carbon composites
- Transparent conductive electrodes
- Thermoelectric materials and nanocomposites
- Structural characterisation of materials by using XRD, SEM, TEM and FIB techniques
- Energy harvesting using piezoelectric and thermoelectric materials
- Leverhulme Trust
- Innovate UK
- EU Framework Programme
Articles In Journals
- Achour A, Chen K, Reece MJ & Huang Z (2018) Enhanced thermoelectric performance of Cs doped BiCuSeO prepared through eco-friendly flux synthesis, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 735 (February) 861-869.
- Achour A, Chen K, Reece MJ & Huang Z (2017) Tuning of catalytic activity by thermoelectric materials for carbon dioxide hydrogenation, Advanced Energy Materials, Early online.
- Krishnaswamy S, Tinsley L, Marchante V, Addepalli S, Huang Z & Abhyankar H (2017) Effect of extrusion and compression moulding on the thermal properties of nylon-6/silica aerogel composites, Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, In Press.
- Lonne Q, Endrino J & Huang Z (2017) UV treatment of flexible copper nanowire mesh films for transparent conductor applications, Nanoscale Research Letters, 12 (577) 1-8.
- Huiling Xie, Zhaorong Huang, Shijun Guo & Ekiyor Torru (2015) Feasibility of an electrostatic energy harvesting device for CFCs aircraft, Procedia Engineering, 99 (2015) 1213-1222.
- Hockley M & Huang Z (2014) Strong electron emissions induced and extracted by pyroelectric crystals, Smart Materials and Structures, 23 (3).
- Hockley M & Huang Z (2013) Strong electron and ion emissions induced by a pyroelectric crystal, Journal of Applied Physics, 113 (3).
- Hockley M & Huang Z (2012) High intensity electron emission from ferroelectric cathode induced by a pyroelectric crystal, Applied Physics Letters, 101 (22).
- Hockley MJ, Chang HHS & Huang Z (2011) Pyroelectric coefficient difference under open and short circuit conditions and their enhancements in laminate composites, Journal of Applied Physics, 109 (6) 064102-064102.
- Pardo L, Jimenez R, Garcia A, Brebol K, Leighton G & Huang Z (2010) Impedance measurements for determination of elastic and piezoelectric coefficients of films, Advances in Applied Ceramics, 109 (3) 156-161.
- Kummari KL, Li D, Guo S & Huang Z (2010) Development of piezoelectric actuated mechanism for flapping wing micro-aerial vehicle applications, Advances in Applied Ceramics, 109 (3) 175-179.
- Leighton GJT & Huang Z (2010) Accurate measurement of the piezoelectric coefficient of thin films by eliminating the substrate bending effect using spatial scanning laser vibrometry, Smart Materials and Structures, 19 (6).
- Fernandez R, Holgado S, Huang Z, Calzada ML & Ricote J (2010) Use of the solvent chemistry for the control of the critical thickness of PbTiO3 ultrathin films, Journal of Materials Research, 25 (5) 890-898.
- Chang HHS & Huang Z (2010) Laminate composites with enhanced pyroelectric effects for energy harvesting, Smart Materials and Structures, 19 (6).
- Chung HC, Lal Kummari K, Croucher SJ, Lawson NJ, Guo S, Whatmore RW & Huang Z (2009) Development of piezoelectric fans for flapping wing application, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 149 (1) 136-142.
- Chang HHS & Huang Z (2009) Pyroelectric effect enhancement through product property under open circuit condition, Journal of Applied Physics, 106 (1) 014101-1-014101-9.
- Chang HHS, Whatmore RW & Huang Z (2009) Pyroelectric effect enhancement in laminate composites under short circuit condition, Journal of Applied Physics, 106 (11).
- Chung HC, Lal Kummari K, Croucher SJ, Lawson NJ, Guo S & Huang Z (2008) Coupled piezoelectric fans with two degree of freedom motion for the application of flapping wing micro aerial vehicles, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 147 (2) 607-612.
- Ricote J, Holgado S, Huang Z, Ramos P, Fernandez R & Calzada ML (2008) Fabrication of continuous ultrathin ferroelectric films by chemical solution deposition methods, Journal of Materials Research, 23 (10) 2787-2795.
- Popov C, Chang H, Record P M, Abraham E, Whatmore Roger W & Huang Zhaorong (2008) Direct and converse magnetoelectric effect at resonant frequency in laminar piezoelectric-magnetostrictive composite., Journal of Electroceramics, 20 (1) 53-58.
- Chang HHS & Huang Z (2008) Substantial pyroelectric effect enhancement in laminated composites, Applied Physics Letters, 92 (15) 152903-1-152903-3.
- Record P, Popov C, Fletcher J, Abraham E, Huang Z, Chang H & Whatmore RW (2007) Direct and converse magnetoelectic effect in laminate bonded Terfenol-D-PZT composites, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 126 (1) 344-349.
- Huang Z, Leighton GJT, Wright RV, Duval F, Chung HC, Kirby PB & Whatmore RW (2007) Determination of piezoelectric coefficients and elastic constant of thin films by laser scanning vibrometry techniques, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 135 (2) 660-665.
- Huang Z, Zhang Q, Corkovic S, Dorey RA, Duval FFC, Leighton G, Wright RV, Kirby PB & Whatmore RW (2006) Piezoelectric PZT films for MEMS and their characterization by interferometry, Journal of Electroceramics, 17 (2-4) 549-556.
- Huang Z, Zhang Q, Corkovic S, Dorey RA & Whatmore RW (2006) Comparative Measurements of Piezoelectric Coefficient of PZT Films by Berlincourt, Interferometer, and Vibrometer Methods, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, 53 (12) 2287-2293.
- Huang Zhaorong (2006) Theoretical Modelling on the Magnetization by Electric Field Through Product Property., Journal of Applied Physics, 100 (11).
- Marshall JM, Zhang Q, Huang Z & Whatmore RW (2005) Orientation control of low temperature deposited sol-gel PZT52/48 films, Ferroelectrics, 318 (1) 41-48.
- Battat J, Huang Zhaorong, Donohue P P, Todd M A & Whatmore Roger W (2004) Kinetics of Phase Transformations in Lead Scandium Tantalate Thin Films., Integrated Ferroelectrics, 60 87-94.
- Duval FFC, Dorey RA, Wright RV, Huang Z & Whatmore RW (2004) Fabrication of PZT composite thick films for high frequency membrane resonators, Journal of Electroceramics, 13 (1-3) 267-270.
- Duval F F C, Dorey RA, Wright RV, Huang Z & Whatmore RW (2004) Fabrication and modeling of high-frequency PZT composite thick films membrane resonators, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, 51 (10) 1255-1261.
- Duval FFC, Dorey RA, Wright RV, Huang Z & Whatmore RW (2004) High frequency PZT composite thick film resonators, Integrated Ferroelectrics, 63 (1) 27-33.
- Whatmore RW, Zhang Q, Huang Z & Dorey RA (2003) Ferroelectric thin and thick films for microsystems, Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing, 5 (2-3) 65-76.
- Dunn SC, Shaw CP, Huang Z & Whatmore RW (2002) Ultra high resolution of PZT 30/70 domains as imaged by PFM, Nanotechnology, 13 (4) 456-459.
- Komuro E, Su Q X, Huang Z, Kirby PB & Whatmore RW (2001) Effect of electrodes on GHZ ZnO thin film bulk-acoustic-wave resonator, Integrated Ferroelectrics, 34 (1-4) 227-236.
- Guo S, Yang D, Lal Kummari K & Huang Z (2009) A smart material flapping wing micro rotorcraft. In: 17th International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM 17), Edinburgh, 27-31 July 2009.
- Marshall JM, Zhang Q, Huang Z & Whatmore RW (2004) Orientation control of low temperature deposited sol-gel PZT52/48 films. In: 7th European Meeting on Applications of Polar Dielectrics (ECAPD7), Liberec, 6-9 September 2004.
- Dorey RA, Zhang Q, Marson S, Huang Z & Whatmore RW (2004) PZT thin films: fabrication and characterisation. In: International conference on materials technology and design of integrated piezoelectric devices, Cormayeur, Italy, 2 February 2004.
- Huang Z & Leighton G (2014) Interferometry for Piezoelectric Materials and Thin Films. In: Characterisation of Ferroelectric Bulk Materials and Thin Films. Cain MG (ed.), London: Springer, p. 87-113, ed. 1.