Areas of expertise
- Autonomous Systems
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Flight Physics
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Power Systems & Turbines
- Renewable Energy
BackgroundZeeshan has a background in Mechanical and Manufacturing engineering with several years of industrial experience in various industries. He received his PhD in Computational Engineering from Cranfield University.
Current activitiesDr Zeeshan Rana is currently working in the areas of Carbon Capture using Nano-technology which is an experimental project. He is also working on various projects related to Computational Fluid Dynamics for example investigations into complex hypersonic flows.
Articles In Journals
- Kuang B, Nnabuife SG, Sun S, Whidborne JF & Rana ZA (2022) Gas-liquid flow regimes identification using non-intrusive doppler ultrasonic sensor and convolutional recurrent neural networks in an S-shaped riser, Digital Chemical Engineering, Available online 19 January 2022, Article No. 100012.
- Rana ZA, Mauret F, Sanchez-Gil JM, Zeng K, Hou Z, Dayyani I & Könözsy L (2022) Computational analysis and design of an aerofoil with morphing tail for improved aerodynamic performance in transonic regime, The Aeronautical Journal, Available online 10 January 2022.
- Nnabuife SG, Kuang B, Rana ZA & Whidborne J (2022) Classification of flow regimes using a neural network and a non-invasive ultrasonic sensor in an S-shaped pipeline-riser system, Chemical Engineering Journal Advances, 9 (March) Article No. 100215.
- Bang CS, Rana ZA, Könözsy L, Marchante Rodriguez V & Temple C (2021) Aeroelastic analysis of a single element composite wing in ground effect using Fluid Structure Interaction, Journal of Fluids Engineering, Available online 20 November 2021.
- Kuang B, Rana Z & Zhao Y (2021) Sky and ground segmentation in the navigation visions of the planetary rovers, Sensors, 21 (21) Article No. 6996.
- Kuang B, Wisniewski M, Rana ZA & Zhao Y (2021) Rock segmentation in the navigation vision of the planetary rovers, Mathematics, 9 (23) Article No. 3048. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.16958728
- Nnabuife SG, Kuang B, Whidborne JF & Rana ZA (2021) Development of gas-liquid flow regimes identification using a noninvasive ultrasonic sensor, belt-shape features, and convolutional neural network in an S-shaped riser, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Available online 14 July 2021.
- Nnabuife SG, Kuang B, Whidborne J & Rana Z (2021) Non-intrusive classification of gas-liquid flow regimes in an S-shaped pipeline-riser using doppler ultrasonic sensor and deep neural networks, Chemical Engineering Journal, 403 (January) Article No. 126401.
- Zeng K, Li Z, Rana ZA & Jenkins KW (2021) Implicit large eddy simulations of turbulent flow around a square cylinder at Re=22,000, Computers and Fluids, 226 (August) Article No. 105000.
- Kuang B, Nnabuife SG & Rana Z (2021) Pseudo-image-feature-based identification benchmark for multi-phase flow regimes, Chemical Engineering Journal Advances, 5 (March) Article No. 100060.
- Arrondeau B & Rana ZA (2020) Computational aerodynamics analysis of non-symmetric multi-element wing in ground effect with humpback whale flipper tubercles, Fluids, 5 (4) Article No. 247.
- Castro X & Rana ZA (2020) Aerodynamic and structural design of a 2022 Formula One front wing assembly, Fluids, 5 (4) Article No. 237.
- Bagul P, Rana ZA, Jenkins KW & Könözsy L (2020) Computational engineering analysis of external geometrical modifications on the MQ-1 unmanned combat aerial vehicle, Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, 33 (4) 1154-1165.
- Exposito D & Rana ZA (2019) Computational investigations into heat transfer over a double wedge in hypersonic flows, Aerospace Science and Technology, 92 (September) 839-846.
- Gawryszewski K, Rana ZA, Jenkins KW, Ioannou P & Okonkwo D (2018) An automatic image analysis methodology for the measurement of droplet size distributions in liquid–liquid dispersion: round object detection, International Journal of Computers and Applications, 41 (5) 329-342.
- El Rafei M, Konozsy L & Rana ZA (2017) Investigation of numerical dissipation in classical and implicit large eddy simulations, Aerospace, 4 (4) 59-79.
- Sakellariou K, Rana ZA & Jenkins KW (2017) Optimisation of the surfboard fin shape using computational fluid dynamics and genetic algorithms, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part P: Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, 231 (4) 344-354.
- Rana ZA, Thomber B & Drikakis D (2013) Dynamics of sonic hydrogen jet injection and mixing inside scramjet combustor, Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, 7 (1) 13-39.
- Rana ZA, Thornber B & Drikakis D (2011) Transverse jet injection into a supersonic turbulent cross-flow, Physics of Fluids, 23 (4) 046103-1-046103-21.
- Rana ZA, Thornber B & Drikakis D (2011) On the importance of generating accurate turbulent boundary condition for unsteady simulations, Journal of Turbulence, 12 (35) 1-39.
- Wisniewski M, Rana ZA & Petrunin I (2021) Drone model identification by convolutional neural network from video stream. In: 2021 AIAA/IEEE 40th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), San Antonio, 3-7 October 2021.
- Yildirim S, Rana Z & Tang G (2021) Autonomous ground refuelling approach for civil aircrafts using computer vision and robotics. In: 2021 AIAA/IEEE 40th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), San Antonio, 3-7 October 2021.
- Kuang B, Rana Z & Zhao Y (2020) A novel aircraft wing inspection framework based on multiple view geometry and convolutional neural network. In: Aerospace Europe Conference 2020 (AEC2020), Bordeaux, France, 25-28 February 2020.
- Drikakis D & Rana ZA (2015) Low-frequency unsteadiness in 3D shock-wave/boundary layer interactions in a supersonic crossflow. In: 53rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Kissimmee, 5-9 January 2015.
- Antoniadis AF, Tsoutsanis P, Rana Z, Kokkinakis I & Drikakis D (2015) Azure: an advanced CFD software suite based on high-resolution and high-order methods. In: 53rd AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Kissimmee, 5-9 January 2015.
- Kokkinakis IW, Antoniadis AV, Drikakis D, Tsoutsanis P & Rana ZA (2015) High-order methods for hypersonic shock wave turbulent boundary layer interaction. In: 20th AIAA International Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems and Technologies Conference 2015, Glasgow, 6-9 July 2015.
- Könözsy L, Kokkinakis IW, Antoniadis AF, Rana ZA, Tsoutsanis P & Drikakis D (2015) High-order methods for shock wave turbulent boundary layer interaction. In: UK Turbulence Consortium Annual Review, Southampton, 3 September 2015.
- Rana ZA, Thornber BJR & Drikakis D (2011) Large eddy simulation of the fuel injection in scramjet combustion chambers. In: 7th European Symposium on Aerothermodynamics, 2011, Brugge, 9-12 May 2011.
- Rana ZA, Thornber BJR & Drikakis D (2011) Analysis of hydrogen injection into the combustor of HyShot-II scramjet engine using ILES. In: 49th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Orlando, Florida, 4-7 January 2011.
- Rana ZA, Thornber B & Drikakis D (2011) An ILES analysis of transverse jet injection in to supersonic cross-flow with synthetic turbulent boundary layer. In: 49th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Orlando, Florida, 4-7 January 2011.
- Rana ZA, Drikakis D & Thornber BJ Investigation of sonic jet mixing in a stream of supersonic cross-flow using large eddy simulations. In: 27th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, Nice, 19 September 2010.
- Rana ZA, Thornber BJR & Drikakis D (2009) Simulations of the HyShot-II (scramjet) model using high-resolution methods. In: 45th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, 2009, Denver, CO, 2-5 August 2009.