Areas of expertise
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Mechatronics & Advanced Controls
- Throughlife Engineering Services
- Vehicle Health Management
Dr Zakwan Skaf leads the research of diagnostics and prognostics in the Cranfield IVHM Centre, He is the Course Director of the Introduction to Integrated Vehicle Health Management (IVHM) short course and Module Leader of Diagnostics and Prognostics for the MSc Through-life System Sustainment course at Cranfield University. He is also the project manager of Clean Sky 2- AIRMES project (a four-year project, running until 2019, which has received €5.2 million total funding (more than €500,000 to Cranfield).) Zakwan received the B.S. degree from the faculty of Mechanical Engineering in 2001, and the MSc and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Manchester, Control Systems Centre, Manchester, U.K. His research interest involves control engineering, condition monitoring, diagnostics, and prognostics related to aerospace, railway, and automotive applications.
Meggitt SA (MSA)
Transportes Aereos Portugueses (TAP)
Aerospace International Services (AIS)
ATOS Origin Integration SAS (ATOS)
L-UP SAS (L-UP)
Clean Sky 2
Articles In Journals
- Mattuvarkuzhali Ezhilarasu C, Skaf Z & Jennions IK (2019) The application of reasoning to aerospace Integrated Vehicle Health Management (IVHM): Challenges and opportunities, Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 105 (February) 60-73.
- Jung M, Niculita O & Skaf Z (2018) Comparison of different classification algorithms for fault detection and fault isolation in complex systems, Procedia Manufacturing, 19 111-118.
- Lee CH, Shin HS, Tsourdos A & Skaf Z (2018) New application of data analysis using aircraft fault record data, Journal of Aerospace Information Systems, 15 (5) 297-306.
- Qin T, Zeng S, Guo J & Skaf Z (2017) State of health estimation of Li-ion batteries with regeneration phenomena: a similar rest time-based prognostic framework, Symmetry, 9 (1) Article No. 4.
- Niculita O, Nwora O & Skaf Z (2017) Towards design of prognostics and health management solutions for maritime assets, Procedia CIRP, 59 122-132.
- Lin Y, Zakwan S & Jennions I (2017) A bayesian approach to fault identification in the presence of multi-component degradation, International Journal of Prognostics and Health Management, 8.
- Qin T, Zeng S, Guo J & Skaf Z (2016) A rest time-based prognostic framework for state of health estimation of lithium-ion batteries with regeneration phenomena, Energies, 9 (11) Article No. 896. Dataset/s: 10.3390/en9110896
- Skaf Z, Eker OF & Jennions IK (2015) A Simple State-Based Prognostic Model for Filter Clogging, Procedia CIRP, 38 177-182.
- Skaf Z (2015) Asset management: coupling business and technology, The Manufacturer, 7 December 2015.
- Eker OF, Skaf Z, Camci F & Jennions IK (2014) State-Based Prognostics with State Duration Information of Cracks in Structures, Procedia CIRP, 22 122-126.
- Niculita O, Skaf Z & Jennions IK (2014) The application of Bayesian change point detection in UAV fuel systems, Procedia CIRP, 22 115-121.
- Skaf Z, Wang H & Guo L (2011) Fault tolerant control based on stochastic distribution via RBF neural networks, Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics, 22 (1) 63-69.
- Ezhilarasu CM, Skaf Z & Jennions IK (2019) Progress towards a Framework for Aerospace Vehicle Reasoning (FAVER). In: Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society 2019, Scottsdale, Arizona, 23-26 September 2019.
- Ezhilarasu CM, Skaf Z & Jennions IK (2019) Understanding the role of a Digital Twin in Integrated Vehicle Health Management (IVHM). In: 2019 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC), Bari, 6-9 October 2019.
- Lee CH, Shin HS, Tsourdos A & Skaf Z (2018) Anomaly detection of aircraft engine in FDR (flight data recorder) data. In: IET 3rd International Conference on Intelligent Signal Processing (ISP 2017), 2017, London, 4-5 December 2017.
- Maindze A, Jennions I & Skaf Z (2017) Knowledge management yesterday and tomorrow: exploring an ‘Intellectual Paradox’. In: 15th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR 2017), Greenwich, London, 5-7 September 2017.
- Lee C, Shin H, Tsourdos A & Skaf Z (2017) Data analytics development of FDR (Flight Data Recorder) data for airline maintenance operations. In: 2017 IEEE International Conference on Multisensor Fusion and Integration for Intelligent Systems (MFI 2017), Daegu, Korea, 16-18 November 2017.
- Skaf Z, Eker O & Jennions I (2017) System component degradation: filter clogging in a UAV fuel system. In: Asia Pacific Conference of the Prognostics and Health Managment Society, 2017, Jeju, 12-15 July 2017.
- Eker OF, Khan F, Skaf Z, Camci F & Jennions I Collection of a benchmark Dataset for Prognostic Modelling. In: The Twelfth International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies, Oxford, 9 June 2015.
- Lin Y, Skaf Z & Jennions I (2015) A Survey on Operational Safety Assessment in the Aviation Industry and its Link to IVHM. In: SAE 2015 AeroTech Congress & Exhibition, Seattle, Washington, 22-24 September 2015.
- Skaf Z, Aliyev T, Shead L & Steffen T (2014) The state of the art in selective catalytic reduction control. In: SAE 2014 World Congress & Exhibition, Michigan, 8-10 April 2014.
- Zakwan Skaf, Martha A Zaidan, Robert F Harrison & nd Andrew R Mills (2013) Accommodating repair actions into gas turbine prognostics. In: Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society 2013, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA,, 14 October 2013.
- Zakwan Skaf Prognostics: Design, Implementation, and Challenges. In: 12th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies, Oxford, 9 June 2015.
- Skaf Z (2017) Introduction to condition monitoring. In: ASM Handbook, Volume 18, Friction, Lubrication, and Wear Technology, Materials Park, Ohio: ASM International, p. 1005-1009.
- Skaf Z (2012) Iterative Fault Tolerant Control for General Discrete-Time Stochastic Systems Using Output Probability Density Estimation. In: Diagnostics and Prognostics of Engineering Systems: Methods and Techniques. Seifedine Kadry (ed.), IGI Global, p. 1-24.