Contact Dr Yuchun Xu
Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Manufacturing Systems
- Product and Service Design
- Sustainable Manufacturing
- Throughlife Engineering Services
- Vehicle Health Management
BackgroundDr Yuchun Xu joined Cranfield University as a Lecturer in June 2008. He is currently the Admission Tutor for MSc Manufacturing Programme (since 2011), and Director of PgCert in Cost Engineering course. He is a member of Association of Cost Engineers (ACostE). He has been active in research and has been the Member of International Programme Committee, Session Chair/Co-Chair of a number of international conferences.
Yuchun's current research area broadly covers cost engineering, life cycle modelling and cost analysis, design to cost; decision making and multidisciplinary optimisation; Remanufacture/repair/recycle and optimisation of End-of-Life Strategies; Sustainable design and manufacturing; Process modelling & improvement, quality management; and integrated maintenance to improve systems’ through-life service.
Yuchun obtained his BEng (Hons) degreein Automotive Engineering, and a PhD in Manufacturing Engineering from Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT), China in 1999. Prior to Cranfield University, he mainly worked as a Research Fellow/Associate in Queens University Belfast, Cardiff University and Tianjin University (China). He has built up experience in both traditional and non-traditional machining (such as Electrical Discharge machining etc.), mechatronics, instrumentation, and reverse engineering.
Yuchun has been actively collaborating with industry through his projects; his industrial customers vary from medium to multi-national companies including Rolls-Royce, Airbus and QinetiQ. He is open for collaboration with both industry and academia.
His research interests and expertise are in:
- Cost Engineering
- Life Cycle Modelling and Costing
- Remanufacture/Repair/Recycle and optimisation of End-of-Life Strategies
- Sustainable Design and Manufacturing
- Decision Making
- Process Modelling and Quality Management
- Integrated Maintenance
Dr Yuchun Xu is the Course Tutor of the Cost Engineering postgraduate programme.
- EU FP7
Articles In Journals
- Durazo-Cardenas I, Starr A, Turner CJ, Tiwari A, Kirkwood L, Bevilacqua M, Tsourdos A, Shehab E, Baguley P & Xu Y (2018) An autonomous system for maintenance scheduling data-rich complex infrastructure: Fusing the railways’ condition, planning and cost, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 89 (April) 234-253.
- Alefari M, Salonitis K & Xu Y (2017) The role of leadership in implementing lean manufacturing, Procedia CIRP, 63 756-761.
- Almanei M, Salonitis K & Xu Y (2017) Lean implementation frameworks: The challenges for SMEs, Procedia CIRP, 63 750-755.
- Xu Y & Chen M (2016) Improving Just-in-Time manufacturing operations by using Internet of Things based solutions, Procedia CIRP, 56 326-331.
- Wang Q, Tang D, Yin L, Salido M, Giret A & Xu Y (2016) Bi-objective optimization for low-carbon product family design, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 41 (October) 53-65.
- Masood T, Roy R, Harrison A, Xu Y, Gregson S & Reeve C (2015) Integrating through-life engineering service knowledge with product design and manufacture, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 28 (1) 59-74.
- Dai M, Tang DB, Xu Y & Li WD (2015) Energy-aware integrated process planning and scheduling for job shops, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 229 (1) 13-26.
- Chay T, Xu Y, Tiwari A & Chay F (2015) Towards lean transformation: The analysis of lean implementation frameworks, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 26 (7) 1031-1052.
- Xiao Y, Zhang R, Zhao Q, Kaku I & Xu Y (2014) A variable neighborhood search with an effective local search for uncapacitated multilevel lot-sizing problems, European Journal of Operational Research, 235 (1) 102-114.
- Xu Y, Fernandez Sanchez J & Njuguna J (2014) Cost modelling to support optimised selection of End-of-Life options for automotive components, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 73 (1-4) 399-407.
- Xu Y, Malisetty MK & Round M (2013) Configuration management in aerospace industry, Procedia CIRP, 11 183-186.
- Xu Y, Elgh F, Erkoyuncu J, Bankole O, Goh Y, Cheung W, Baguley P, Wang Q, Arundachawat P, Shehab E, Newnes L & Roy R (2012) Cost Engineering for manufacturing: Current and future research, International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 25 (4-5) 300-314.
- Xiao Y, Zhao Q, Kaku I & Xu Y (2012) Development of a Fuel Consumption Optimization Model for the Capacitated Vehicle Routing Problem, Computers and Operations Research, 39 (7) 1419-1431.
- Zhang D, Hu D, Xu Y & Zhang H (2012) A framework for design knowledge management and reuse for Product-Service Systems in construction machinery industry, Computers in Industry, 63 (4) 328-337.
- Turner CJ, Tiwari A, Olaiya R & Xu Y (2012) Process mining: From theory to practice, Business Process Management Journal, 18 (3) 493-512.
- Huang Z, Chang W, Xiao Y, Xu Y & Liu R (2010) Human Resources Allocation for Aircraft Maintenance with Predefined Sequence, Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics, 21 (6) 1008-1013.
- Zhang D, Hu D & Xu Y (2011) Development of a process based product design knowledge reuse system. In: 8th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, 2011, Shanghai,, 26-28 July 2011.
- Masood T, Roy R, Harrison A, Gregson S, Xu Y & Reeve C (2011) Challenges in digital feedback of through-life engineering service knowledge to product design and manufacture. In: DET2011 7th International Conference on Digital Enterprise Technology, Athens, 28 September 2011.
- Zhang D, Hu D & Xu Y (2010) A framework for ontology-based product design knowledge management. In: 2010 7th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD), Yantai, Shandong, 10-12 August 2010.
- Xu Y, Roy R, Cassaro G & Ramsden JJ (2009) Development of a cost estimating framework for nanotechnology based products. In: 16th ISPE International Conference on Concurrent Engineering (CE2009), Taiwan, 20-24 July 2009.
- Mgbemena C, Oyekan JO, Tiwari A, Xu Y, Fletcher S, Hutabarat W & Prabhu V (2016) Gesture detection towards real-time ergonomic analysis for intelligent automation assistance. In: Advances in Ergonomics of Manufacturing: Managing the Enterprise of the Future: Proceedings of the AHFE 2016 International Conference on Human Aspects of Advanced Manufacturing, July 27-31, 2016, Walt Disney World, Florida, USA, Springer International Publishing, p. 217-228.
- Xu Y, Sanchez J & Njuguna J (2016) Remanufacturing and whole-life costing of lightweight components. In: Lightweight Composite Structures in Transport, Elsevier Inc., p. 373-383.