Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Energy and the Environment
- Renewable Energy
- Waste Management & Resource Efficiency
Dr Jiang is a Lecturer in Bioenergy within the Centre for Bioenergy & Resource Management, School of Water, Energy and Environment (SWEE). He is the Module manager for Principles of Renewable Energy Technologies and the Course Director for MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering. Trained as an Environmental scientist, Dr Jiang has a broad interest in pollution monitoring and control, fate of pollutants in the environment, and clean energy production. His current research focuses on renewable energy production through biological as well as thermochemical processes. He is an internationally recognized expert on renewable energy production using anaerobic digestion (AD) technology and has an in-depth understanding of the biochemical pathways of methane formation. His expertise includes research into the symbiotic relationship between microorganisms involved in organic matter degradation under anoxic and anaerobic condition. Additionally, he is currently developing studies integrating renewable energy production with plant based land remediation (phytoremediation) method to achieve low carbon and low-cost remediation.
His current research is focusing on:
1. Energy potential of organic matters and optimization of the overall energy balance of AD process;
2. Trace element requirements for sustaining efficient AD processes;
3. Impact of environmental factors, e.g. temperature, pH and ammonia concentration to methanogen population and methanogenesis pathways;
4. Fate of heavy metal elements in biomass during thermochemical processes;
5. Economic and feasibility analysis of biomass production from contaminated and non-agriculture land;
Before joining Cranfield, Ying completed a number of high profile projects including:
1. WRAP funded project reviewing the process efficiency of over 30 UK anaerobic renewable energy plants
2. EU FP7 funded project (‘VALORGAS', Valorisation of Food Waste to Biogas).
Currently Ying is managing the delivery of a number of national and international collaborative research projects, exploring the potential of using phytoremediation for the cleaning up of metal contaminated land and the subsequent energy recovery from plant biomass. In addition to his significant academic outputs, he led the development of a new MSc course on Atmospheric Emission Technologies and currently provides administrative support to MSc courses and lead the marketing and strategic collaboration of the Doctoral Training Programme in Energy Theme.
EU FP 7 - 'Valorgas': Valorisation of Food Waste to Biogas
WRAP - Review of the application of the Residual Biogas Potential test
EPSRC - 'Cleaning Land for Wealth' (CL4W)
EPSRC SUPERGEN Bioenergy Hub
Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) - SP1011
British Council - Newton Fund
Articles In Journals
- Jiang Y, Banks CJ, Zhang Y, Heaven S & Longhurst PJ (2018) Quantifying the percentage of methane formation via acetoclastic and syntrophic acetate oxidation pathways in anaerobic digesters waste management, Waste Management, 71 (January) 749-756.
- Cui J, Duan L, Jiang Y, Zhao C & Anthony EJ (2018) Migration and emission of mercury from circulating fluidized bed boilers co-firing petroleum coke and coal, Fuel, 215 638-646.
- Duan L, Chen J, Jiang Y, Li X, Longhurst P & Lei M (2017) Experimental and kinetic study of thermal decomposition behaviour of phytoremediation derived Pteris vittata, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 128 (2) 1207-1216.
- Sotenko M, Coles S, Barker G, Song L, Jiang Y, Longhurst P, Romanova T, Shuvaeva O & Kirwan K (2017) Phytoremediation combined with biorefinery on the example of two agricultural crops grown on Ni soil and degraded by P. chrysosporium, International Journal of Phytoremediation, 19 (11) 965-975.
- Duan L, Li X, Jiang Y, Lei M, Dong Z & Longhurst P (2017) Arsenic transformation behaviour during thermal decomposition of P. vittata, an arsenic hyperaccumulator, Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 124 584-591.
- Duan L, Cui J, Jiang Y, Zhao C & Anthony EJ (2017) Partitioning behavior of arsenic in circulating fluidized bed boilers co-firing petroleum coke and coal, Fuel Processing Technology, 166 (November) 107-114.
- Jiang Y, Zhang Y, Banks C, Heaven S & Longhurst P (2017) Investigation of the impact of trace elements on anaerobic volatile fatty acid degradation using a fractional factorial experimental design, Water Research, 125 (November) 458-465.
- Coulon F, Jones K, Li H, Hu Q, Gao J, Li F, Chen M, Zhu YG, Liu R, Liu M, Canning K, Harries N, Bardos P, Nathanail P, Sweeney R, Middleton D, Charnley M, Randall J, Richell M, Howard T, Martin I, Spooner S, Weeks J, Cave M, Yu F, Zhang F, Jiang Y, Longhurst P, Prpich G, Bewley R, Abra J & Pollard S. (2016) China’s soil and groundwater management challenges: lessons from the UK’s experience and opportunities for China, Environment International, 91 (May) 196-200.
- Duan L, Sun H, Jiang Y, Anthony E & Zhao C (2016) Partitioning of trace elements, As, Ba, Cd, Cr, Cu, Mn and Pb, in a 2.5 MWth pilot-scale circulating fluidised bed combustor burning an anthracite and a bituminous coal, Fuel Processing Technology, 146 (June) 1-8.
- Jiang Y, Brassington KJ, Prpich G, Paton GI, Semple KT, Pollard SJT & Coulon F (2016) Insights into the biodegradation of weathered hydrocarbons in contaminated soils by bioaugmentation and nutrient stimulation, Chemosphere, 161 (October) 300-307.
- Jiang Y, Lei L, Duan L & Longhurst P (2015) Integrating phytoremediation with biomass valorisation and critical element recovery: A UK contaminated land perspective, Biomass and Bioenergy, 83 328-339.
- Gutiérrez-Gutiérrez SC, Coulon F, Jiang Y & Wagland S (2015) Rare earth elements and critical metal content of extracted landfilled material and potential recovery opportunities, Waste Management, 42 (August) 128-136.
- Jiang Y, Ameh A, Lei M, Duan L & Longhurst P (2015) Solid–gaseous phase transformation of elemental contaminants during the gasification of biomass, Science of the Total Environment, 563-564 (September) 724-730.
- Jiang Y, Zhang Y & Banks CJ (2012) Determination of long chain fatty acids in anaerobic digesters using a rapid non-derivatisation GC-FID method., Water Science and Technology, 66 (4) 741-7.
- Jiang Y, Heaven S & Banks CJ (2012) Strategies for stable anaerobic digestion of vegetable waste, Renewable Energy, 44 206-214.
- Banks CJ, Zhang Y, Jiang Y & Heaven S (2012) Trace element requirements for stable food waste digestion at elevated ammonia concentrations., Bioresource Technology, 104 127-35.
- Jiang Y, Purchase D, Jones H & Garelick H (2011) Technical note: Effects of arsenate (as5+) on growth and production of glutathione (GSH) and phytochelatins (PCS) in Chlorella Vulgaris, International Journal of Phytoremediation, 13 (8) 834-844.