Contact Dr Ying Jiang
Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Energy and the Environment
- Renewable Energy
- Waste Management and Resource Efficiency
Dr Jiang is a Lecturer in Bioenergy within the Centre for Thermal Energy Systems and Materials (CTEM), School of Water, Energy and Environment (SWEE). He is the Module manager for Principles of Renewable Energy Technologies and the Course Director for MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering. Trained as an Environmental scientist, Dr Jiang has a broad interest in pollution monitoring and control, fate of pollutants in the environment, and clean energy production. His current research focuses on renewable energy production through biological as well as thermochemical processes.
He is an internationally recognized expert on renewable energy production using anaerobic fermentation technology, particularly the involvement of trace element in the enzymatic functions in methanogenesis. His research using C-14 radioactive labelling technique and molecular biology approaches (Pyrosequencing and Florescence in situ hybridisation) revealed a significant methanogenic pathway shift from acetoclastic to hydrogenotrophic under high ammoniacal nitrogen condition. This shift of metabolic pathway explains the higher selenuim requirement during anaerobic digestion of high nitrogen feedstock due to a set of selenium-dependent enzymes invovled specifically in hydrogenotrophic pathway (Jiang et al. 2017; Jiang et al. 2018).
Additionally, he is currently developing studies integrating renewable energy production with plant based land remediation (phytoremediation) method to achieve low carbon and low-cost remediation (Jiang et al. 2015).
His current research is focusing on:
- Energy potential of organic matters and optimization of the overall energy balance of AD process;
- Trace element requirements for sustaining efficient AD processes;
- Impact of environmental factors, e.g. temperature, pH and ammonia concentration to methanogen population and methanogenesis pathways;
- Fate of heavy metal elements in biomass during thermochemical processes;
- Economic and feasibility analysis of biomass production from contaminated and non-agriculture land
- WRAP funded project reviewing the process efficiency of over 30 UK anaerobic renewable energy plants
- EU FP7 funded project (‘VALORGAS', Valorisation of Food Waste to Biogas).
Currently Ying is managing the delivery of a number of national and international collaborative research projects, exploring the potential of using phytoremediation for the cleaning up of metal contaminated land and the subsequent energy recovery from plant biomass. As an investigator on the Reinvent the Toilet Challenge: Nano-membrane Toilet (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation), he is leading a research team contributing to achieving the energy sustainability and system integration of the membrane toilet system.
In addition to his significant research role, he provides administrative support to MSc courses. He is the Module manager for a number of MSc level taught modules and the Course Director for MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering. In addition, he leads the marketing and strategic collaboration of the Energy and Power Doctoral Training Programme in Cranfield University.
Dr Jiang is a reviewer for BBSRC standard grant and was invited by the Welsh government to review Welsh Government’s Sêr Cymru II Programme. He is a reviewer for a number of peer-reviewed journals including Science of the Total Environment, Biomass and Bioenergy and Waste Management.
- EU FP 7 - 'Valorgas': Valorisation of Food Waste to Biogas
- WRAP - Review of the application of the Residual Biogas Potential test
- EPSRC - 'Cleaning Land for Wealth' (CL4W)
- EPSRC SUPERGEN Bioenergy Hub
- Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) - SP1011
- British Council - Newton Fund
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation: Reinvent the Toilet Challenge
Articles In Journals
- Hennigs J, Parker A, Collins M, Jiang Y, Kolios A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2019) Planning and communicating prototype tests for the Nano Membrane Toilet: A critical review and proposed strategy [version 1; peer review: awaiting peer review], Gates Open Research, 3 Article No. 1532.
- Lei M, Dong Z, Jiang Y, Longhurst P, Wan X & Zhou G (2019) Reaction mechanism of arsenic capture by a calcium-based sorbent during the combustion of arsenic-contaminated biomass: A pilot-scale experience, Frontiers of Environmental Science and Engineering, 13 (2) Article No. 24.
- Jiang Y, McAdam E, Zhang Y, Heaven S, Banks C & Longhurst P (2019) Ammonia inhibition and toxicity in anaerobic digestion: a critical review, Journal of Water Process Engineering, 32 (December) Article No. 100899.
- Mercer E, Davey CJ, Azzini D, Eusebi AL, Tierney R, Williams L, Jiang Y, Parker A, Tyrrel S, Cartmell E, Pidou M & McAdam EJ (2019) Hybrid membrane distillation reverse electrodialysis configuration for water and energy recovery from human urine: an opportunity for off-grid decentralised sanitation, Journal of Membrane Science, 584 (August) 343-352. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.8131562.v1
- Zhao S, Chen J, Liu Y, Jiang Y, Jiang C, Yin Z, Xiao Y & Cao S (2019) Silver nanoparticles confined in shell-in-shell hollow TiO2 manifesting efficiently photocatalytic activity and stability, Chemical Engineering Journal, 367 (July) 249-259.
- Jiang Y, Banks CJ, Zhang Y, Heaven S & Longhurst PJ (2018) Quantifying the percentage of methane formation via acetoclastic and syntrophic acetate oxidation pathways in anaerobic digesters waste management, Waste Management, 71 (January) 749-756.
- Cui J, Duan L, Jiang Y, Zhao C & Anthony EJ (2018) Migration and emission of mercury from circulating fluidized bed boilers co-firing petroleum coke and coal, Fuel, 215 (March) 638-646.
- Kolios A, Jiang Y, Somorin T, Sowale A, Anastasopoulou A, Anthony B, Fidalgo Fernandez B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Collins M & Tyrrel S (2018) Probabilistic performance assessment of complex energy process systems – The case of a self-sustained sanitation system, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 74-85.
- Anastasopoulou A, Kolios A, Somorin T, Sowale A, Jiang Y, Fidalgo B, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam E & Tyrrel S (2018) Conceptual environmental impact assessment of a novel self-sustained sanitation system incorporating a Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment approach, Science of the Total Environment, 639 (October) 657-672.
- Al-Badri S, Jiang Y & Wagland S (2018) Possible interactions and interferences of copper, chromium, and arsenic during the gasification of contaminated waste wood, Energies, 11 (8) Article No. 1966.
- Sotenko M, Coles S, Barker G, Song L, Jiang Y, Longhurst P, Romanova T, Shuvaeva O & Kirwan K (2017) Phytoremediation combined with biorefinery on the example of two agricultural crops grown on Ni soil and degraded by P. chrysosporium, International Journal of Phytoremediation, 19 (11) 965-975.
- Duan L, Chen J, Jiang Y, Li X, Longhurst P & Lei M (2017) Experimental and kinetic study of thermal decomposition behaviour of phytoremediation derived Pteris vittata, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 128 (2) 1207-1216.
- Duan L, Li X, Jiang Y, Lei M, Dong Z & Longhurst P (2017) Arsenic transformation behaviour during thermal decomposition of P. vittata, an arsenic hyperaccumulator, Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 124 (March) 584-591.
- Duan L, Cui J, Jiang Y, Zhao C & Anthony EJ (2017) Partitioning behavior of arsenic in circulating fluidized bed boilers co-firing petroleum coke and coal, Fuel Processing Technology, 166 (November) 107-114.
- Jiang Y, Zhang Y, Banks C, Heaven S & Longhurst P (2017) Investigation of the impact of trace elements on anaerobic volatile fatty acid degradation using a fractional factorial experimental design, Water Research, 125 (November) 458-465.
- Coulon F, Jones K, Li H, Hu Q, Gao J, Li F, Chen M, Zhu YG, Liu R, Liu M, Canning K, Harries N, Bardos P, Nathanail P, Sweeney R, Middleton D, Charnley M, Randall J, Richell M, Howard T, Martin I, Spooner S, Weeks J, Cave M, Yu F, Zhang F, Jiang Y, Longhurst P, Prpich G, Bewley R, Abra J & Pollard S. (2016) China’s soil and groundwater management challenges: lessons from the UK’s experience and opportunities for China, Environment International, 91 (May) 196-200.
- Duan L, Sun H, Jiang Y, Anthony E & Zhao C (2016) Partitioning of trace elements, As, Ba, Cd, Cr, Cu, Mn and Pb, in a 2.5 MWth pilot-scale circulating fluidised bed combustor burning an anthracite and a bituminous coal, Fuel Processing Technology, 146 (June) 1-8.
- Jiang Y, Brassington KJ, Prpich G, Paton GI, Semple KT, Pollard SJT & Coulon F (2016) Insights into the biodegradation of weathered hydrocarbons in contaminated soils by bioaugmentation and nutrient stimulation, Chemosphere, 161 (October) 300-307.
- Jiang Y, Lei L, Duan L & Longhurst P (2015) Integrating phytoremediation with biomass valorisation and critical element recovery: A UK contaminated land perspective, Biomass and Bioenergy, 83 328-339.
- Gutiérrez-Gutiérrez SC, Coulon F, Jiang Y & Wagland S (2015) Rare earth elements and critical metal content of extracted landfilled material and potential recovery opportunities, Waste Management, 42 (August) 128-136.
- Jiang Y, Ameh A, Lei M, Duan L & Longhurst P (2015) Solid–gaseous phase transformation of elemental contaminants during the gasification of biomass, Science of the Total Environment, 563-564 (September) 724-730.
- Jiang Y, Zhang Y & Banks CJ (2012) Determination of long chain fatty acids in anaerobic digesters using a rapid non-derivatisation GC-FID method., Water Science and Technology, 66 (4) 741-7.
- Jiang Y, Heaven S & Banks CJ (2012) Strategies for stable anaerobic digestion of vegetable waste, Renewable Energy, 44 206-214.
- Banks CJ, Zhang Y, Jiang Y & Heaven S (2012) Trace element requirements for stable food waste digestion at elevated ammonia concentrations., Bioresource Technology, 104 127-35.
- Jiang Y, Purchase D, Jones H & Garelick H (2011) Technical note: Effects of arsenate (as5+) on growth and production of glutathione (GSH) and phytochelatins (PCS) in Chlorella Vulgaris, International Journal of Phytoremediation, 13 (8) 834-844.
- Al-Badri SB, Jiang Y & Wagland ST (2018) Interactions and interferences of Cu, Cr and As during contaminated waste wood gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium study. In: 9th International Renewable Energy Congress (IREC 2018), Hammamet, 20-22 March 2018.
- Al-Badri S, Jiang Y & Wagland ST (2018) Reduce toxic emissions of As, Cr, and Cu phases during woody biomass gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium study. In: 5th International Conference on Environment and Renewable Energy (ICERE 2018), Vienna, 18-19 May 2018.
- Anastasopoulou A, Kolios A, Somorin T, Sowale A, Jiang Y, Fidalgo B, Parker A, Williams L, Collins M, McAdam EJ & Tyrrel S (2018) Probabilistic life cycle assessment of the nano membrane toilet. In: ICWERS 2018: 20th International Conference on Waste-to-Energy Technologies and Sustainability, Rome, 5-6 March 2018.