Contact Dr Yigeng Xu
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754406
- Email: Yigeng.Xu@cranfield.ac.uk
Areas of expertise
BackgroundDr Xu received BEng and MEng degrees in Mechanical Engineering from Zhejiang University of Technology, China. He obtained his PhD from the University of Southampton working on damage tolerance characterisation of high strength airframe aluminium alloys.
Prior to his current appointment as Senior Lecturer in Structures at Cranfield University, Dr Xu was Senior Lecturer in Aerospace Structures at the University of Hertfordshire and Fatigue and Damage Tolerance Design Engineer at Airbus UK. He was also a visiting scholar and post-doctoral research assistant at the University of Oxford and had nine years teaching experience at the Zhejiang Sci-Tech University, China. He is the Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA) and the member of the International Scientific Committee of the International Conference of Fracture and Damage Mechanics.
Dr Xu has over 20 years teaching and research experience on structural integrity of lightweight materials and structures and developed an in-house structural integrity method (SIM1014) for Airbus. He has carried out following funded projects:
- Effect of ice accretion on the dynamic behaviour of wind turbine, funded by Albalqa’s Applied University in Jordan and Narvik University College in Norway, 01/2012 – 01/2016;
- Impact analysis of an amphibian aircraft landing on water, funded by the Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia, 07/2012 – 07/2016;
- Application of electromagnetic fields for enhancement of structural metal performance (EMFforMET), EU FP-7, 07/2011 – 06/2013;
- Enhanced damage tolerance design for aerospace industry, funded by India UK Staff Exchange Programme, 12/2012 – 01/2013;
- The use of inverse methods in determining applied dynamic loads on aerospace structures, funded by MBDA UK Ltd and EPSRC, 10/2008 – 09/2011;
- Load sequence effect and enhanced life prediction of airframe structures under spectrum loading, funded by Sir Geoffrey de Havilland Memorial Fund & Airbus UK, 10/2005 – 05/2009.
Dr Xu is the module leader of 'Thin-walled Structures' and 'Structural Stability' at Cranfield University. He is the course director of 'Introduction to Aircraft Stress Analysis' and 'Design, Durability and Integrity of Composite Aircraft Structures' for industrial professionals.
Dr Xu's research has been focused on the integrity and durability of advanced lightweight materials and structures. His areas of expertise include fatigue and damage tolerance analysis of metallic and composite structures, additive manufactured hybrid material systems for optimized structural performance, aerospace structure design and assembly, and computational method developing for structural health monitoring. Currently, he has been working on following funded projects:
- Powerplant integration with platform systems, funded by ATI & Rolls-Royce Plc., 12/2016 - 02/2020;
- Development of a novel, affordable neonate/infant transport incubator, funded by Innovate UK/mOm Incubators, 2017 - 2019
- Enhancement of the damage tolerance capacity of toughened composite laminates, funded by SATM, Cranfield University, 05/2016 - 04/2019;
- Measurement assisted tolerancing of large aircraft assemblies for adhesive bonding, funded by GKN Aerospace, 10/2015 - 09/2018.
- MBDA UK Ltd/EPSRC
- GKN Aerospace
- EC (FP7)
- Innovate UK/mOm Incubators
- Sir Geoffrey de Havilland Memorial Fund
Articles In Journals
- Grasso M, Xu Y, Russo Ro & Rosiello V (2018) Mixed mode fatigue crack propagation behaviour of aluminium F357 alloy, Engineering Failure Analysis, 90 463-475.
- Grasso M, De Iorio A, Xu Y, Haritos G, Mohin M & Chen YK (2017) An analytical model for the identification of the threshold of stress intensity factor range for crack growth, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2017 Article No. 3014172.
- Mohin MA, Toofany H, Babutskyi A, Lewis A & Xu YG (2016) Effect of electromagnetic treatment on fatigue resistance of 2011 aluminum alloy, Journal of Multiscale Modeling, 7 (3).
- Mohin M, Xu Y, Lewis A & Chrysanthou A (2016) Effect of plastic deformation on compliance curve based crack closure measurement, Key Engineering Materials, 713 240-243.
- Li M, Monjiza A, Xu Y & Wen P (2015) Finite block Petrov-Galerkin method in transient heat conduction, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, 60 106-114.
- Alsabagh ASY, Xu Y, Virk MS & Badran O (2015) Atmospheric ice loading and its impact on natural frequencies of wind turbines, Wind Engineering, 39 (1) 83-96.
- Ying P, Chen YK, Xu YG & Tian Y (2015) Computational and experimental investigations of an omni-flow wind turbine, Applied Energy, 146 74-83.
- Shen Z, Xu YG & Chrysanthou A (2014) Correlation of dent depth to maximum contact force and damage of composite laminates, Key Engineering Materials, 627 353-356.
- Ying P, Chen Y & Xu Y (2014) An aerodynamic analysis of a novel small wind turbine based on impulse turbine principles, Renewable Energy, 75 37-43.
- Khokhar RB, Chen YK, Xu Y & Calay RK (2013) Numerical simulation of combining mixing and separating flow in channel filled with porous media, Advanced Materials Research, 694-697 639-647.
- RB Khokhar, YK Chen, RK Calay & Y Xu (2013) Numerical scheme to simulate combined mixing and separating Newtonian fluid flow in a channel, Applied Mechanics and Materials, 303-306 2798-2805.
- Alsabagh ABSY, Tiu W, Xu Y & Virk M (2013) A review of the effects of ice accretion on the structural behavior of wind turbines, Wind Engineering, 37 (1) 59-70.
- Z Shen, YG Xu & A Chrysanthou (2013) Contact behaviour of composite laminate under quasi-static indentation load, Key Engineering Materials, 577-578.
- Xu YG, Tiu W & Xu YZ (2012) Numerical simulation of crack tip behaviour under fatigue loading, Key Engineering Materials, 525-526 517-520.
- Vishwakarma R, Turner D, Lewis A, Chen Y & Xu Y (2012) The use of pseudo-inverse methods in reconstructing loads on a missile structure, International Journal of Modelling, Identification and Control, 17 (3) 242-250.
- Xu YG, Shen Z, Tiu W, Xu YZ, Chen Y & Haritos G (2012) Delamination threshold load of composite laminates under low-velocity impact, Key Engineering Materials, 525-526 521-524.
- Singh KD, Xu Y & Sinclair I (2011) Strip yield modelling of fatigue crack under variable amplitude loading, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 25 (12) 3025-3036.
- Wen PH, Hon YC & Xu YG (2011) Inverse heat conduction problems by using particular solutions, Heat Transfer - Asian Research, 40 (2) 171-186.
- Xu YG, Wang L, Chen Y & Tiu W (2011) Load sequence effect on fatigue damage, Key Engineering Materials, 488-489 545-548.
- Wen PH, Adetoro M & Xu Y (2008) The fundamental solution of Mindlin plates with damping in the Laplace domain and its applications, Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements, 32 (10) 870-882.
- Wang L, Chen Y, Tiu W & Xu Y (2008) Simulation of near-tip crack behavior and its correlation to fatigue crack growth with a modified strip-yield model, International Journal of Modelling, Identification and Control, 5 (1) 77-91.
- Jiang C, Lou Y & Xu Y (2006) The finite element simulating calculation of surface crack growth under quasi-static loading, Jisuan Lixue Xuebao/Chinese Journal of Computational Mechanics.
- Li J, Xu Y & Zhu Z (2006) Improvement of Newman's model on fatigue crack closure, Zhongguo Jixie Gongcheng/China Mechanical Engineering, 17 (7).
- Xu Y, Chen J, Li J & Zhu Z (2005) Improved fatigue and damage tolerant material design for aerospace industry, Journal of Materials Science and Technology, 21 (6) 856-862.
- Xu YG, Gregson PJ & Sinclair I (2000) Systematic assessment and validation of compliance-based crack closure measurements in fatigue, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 284 (1-2) 114-125.
- Xu Y, Gregson PJ & Sinclair I (2000) Dispersoid and grain size effects on fatigue crack growth in AA2024-type alloys, Materials Science Forum, 331-337 1525-1530.
- Zhai T, Xu YG, Martin JW, Wilkinson AJ & Briggs GAD (1999) A self-aligning four-point bend testing rig and sample geometry effect in four-point bend fatigue, International Journal of Fatigue, 21 (9) 889-894.
- Xu Yigeng & Xu Yizhong (1995) An approximate expression of KImax of sphere/nozzle corner cracks, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 67 (3) 273-278.
- Xu Y & Cai S (1991) Assessment of fatigue life in relation to cylinder-nozzle corner cracks, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 46 (3) 269-277.
- Cai S & Xu Y (1988) Approximate expressions of maximum value of stress intensity factor of nozzle corner cracks, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 35 (5) 411-422.