Contact Dr Yifan Zhao
Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Human Factors
- Industrial Automation
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Systems Engineering
- Throughlife Engineering Services
BackgroundDr Yifan Zhao received his PhD degree from the University of Sheffield in 2007. He also has MSc and BEng degrees from the Beijing Institute of Technology. Before joining in Cranfield in 2013, Yifan worked as a Research Fellow at the University of Sheffield, where his research activities focused on nonlinear signal processing and analysis for complex system and its cross-disciplinary applications in medical, climatic and industry areas.
Research opportunityThe Artificial Intelligence enabled Anomaly Detection research group currently has 6 research staff,10 PhD students and 5 MSc students. It has the following open PhD opportunities:
1. Development of a thermography-based Intelligent materials characterisation system
2. Early diagnosis of dementia based on EEG data using artificial intelligence approaches
3. Correlation and causality detection using nonlinear system identification methods
4. Development of driver behavior monitoring system for future autonomous vehicles
5. Digital Twin for predictive active thermography
6. Brain-Machine Interface for manufacturing
7. Medical image analysis using artificial intelligence approaches
8. Image quality improvement using deep learning
Dr Zhao has over 15 years’ experience on theory development of nonlinear system identification of Complex Systems, correlation and causality, spatio-temporal systems, computer vision, and general image and signal processing. Currently, he is leading a research group focusing on Artificial Intelligence enabled Anomaly Detection (AIAD), including both theoretical development and applications across Digital Manufacturing, Transport, Healthcare, Construction and Communication sectors.
His key research areas are:
- Health monitoring of complex systems
- Non-destructive Testing (e.g. Active Thermography)
- Computer vision in automated vehicles
- EEG/EMG/fMRI signal analysis
- Correlation and causality
- Image and video Super Resolution
- Medical image processing
- PI, Innovate UK, "The Learning Camera" (Ref: 22994), £274 K, 2018-2019
- PI, Lloyd
Registration Foundation, “Prototype development of a Real-time Electronic
Counterfeit Batch Inspection Technique (RECBIT)”, GA 100113, £250 K, 2018-2020
- Co-I, EPSRC, “Distributed
Intelligent Ultrasound Imaging System for Secure in-community Diagnostics
(SecureUltrasound)”, EP/R013950/1, £1 M, 2018-2021
- Co-I, Jaguar Land Rover and
EPSRC, "TASCC: Driver-Cognition-Oriented Optimal Control Authority
Shifting for Adaptive Automated Driving (CogShift)", EP/N012089/1, £2 M,
- Academic Supervisor, KTP with iDirect, “Anomaly
detection of satellite architectures”, £130 K, 2017-2019
- Co-I, BAE Systems, PhD project “Process
monitoring and control for Wire + Arc Additive Manufacture”, £100 K, 2016-2019
- Jaguar Land Rover
- BAE Systems
- BAM Nuttall Ltd
- IOTIC LABS
- ITA Labs
- Anti Counter Feiting Forum
Articles In Journals
- Bigg GR, Zhao Y & Hanna E (2019) Forecasting the severity of the Newfoundland iceberg season using a control systems model, Journal of Operational Oceanography, Early online.
- Zhao Y, Xie J, Zhang H, Zheng Y, Zhao Y, Qi H, Zhao Y, Su P, Liu J & Liu Y (2019) Retinal vascular network topology reconstruction and artery/vein classification via dominant set clustering, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Available online 3 July 2019 (5).
- Du W, Addepalli S & Zhao Y (2019) The spatial resolution enhancement for a thermogram enabled by controlled sub-pixel movements, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Early online August 2019.
- Honarvar Shakibaei Asli B, Flusser J, Zhao Y & Erkoyuncu J (2019) Filter-generating system of Zernike polynomials, Automatica, 108 (October) Article No. 108498.
- Durongbhan P, Zhao Y, Chen L, Zis P, De Marco M, Unwin JC, Venneri A, He X, Li Sheng, Zhao Y, Blackburn DJ & Sarrigiannis PG (2019) A dementia classification framework using frequency and time-frequency features based on EEG signals, IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 27 (5) 826-835. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7673702
- Du M, Ding Y, Meng X, Wei HL & Zhao Y (2019) Distractor-aware deep regression for visual tracking, Sensors, 19 (2) Article No. 387.
- Addepalli S, Zhao Y, Roy R, Galhenege W, Colle M, Yu J & Ucur A (2019) Non-destructive evaluation of localised heat damage occurring in carbon composites using thermography and thermal diffusivity measurement, Measurement, 131 (January) 706-713. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.3490688
- Sirikham A, Zhao Y, Yazdani Nezhad H, Du W & Roy R (2019) Estimation of damage thickness in fiber-reinforced composites using pulsed thermography, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 15 (1) Article No. TII-18-2286 445-453.
- Santos PDR, Sousa DB, Gamboa PV & Zhao Y (2018) Effect of design parameters on the mass of a variable-span morphing wing based on finite element structural analysis and optimization, Aerospace Science and Technology, 80 (September) 587-603.
- Na T, Xie J, Zhao Y, Zhao Y, Liu Y, Wang Y & Liu J (2018) Retinal vascular segmentation using superpixel-based line operator and its application to vascular topology estimation, Medical Physics, 45 (7) 3132-3146.
- Yazdani Nezhad H,Stratakis D, Ayre D, Addepalli S & Zhao Y (2018) Mechanical performance of composite bonded joints in the presence of localised process-induced zero-thickness defects, Procedia Manufacturing, 16 91-98.
- Zhao Y, Zhao Y, Zheng Y, Liu Y, Zhao Yifan, Luo L, Yang S, Na T, Wang Y & Liu J (2018) Automatic 2-D/3-D vessel enhancement in multiple modality images using a weighted symmetry filter, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 37 (2) 438-450.
- Zhao Y, Addepalli S, Sirikham A & Roy R (2018) A confidence map based damage assessment approach using pulsed thermographic inspection, NDT and E International, 93 (January) 86-97. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5480683.v1
- Xing Y, Lv C, Cao D, Wang H & Zhao Y (2018) Driver workload estimation using a novel hybrid method of error reduction ratio causality and support vector machine, Measurement, 114 (January) 390-397.
- Lv C, Cao D, Zhao Y, Auger DJ, Sullman M, Wang H, Dutka LM, Skrypchuk L & Mouzakitis A (2018) Analysis of autopilot disengagements occurring during autonomous vehicle testing, IEEE CAA Journal of Automatica Sinica, 5 (1) 58-68.
- Marsh R, Bigg G, Zhao Y, Martin MJ, Blundell JR, Josey SA, Hanna E & Ivchenko V (2018) Prospects for seasonal forecasting of iceberg distributions in the North Atlantic, Natural Hazards, 91 (2) 447-471.
- Sarrigiannis PG, Zhao Y, He F, Billings SA, Baster K, Rittey C, Yianni J, Zis P, Wei H, Hadjivassiliou M & Grunewald R (2018) The cortical focus in childhood absence epilepsy; evidence from nonlinear analysis of scalp EEG recordings, Clinical Neurophysiology, 129 (3) 602-6017.
- Witwit W, Zhao Y, Jenkins K & Addepalli S (2018) Global motion based video super-resolution reconstruction using discrete wavelet transform, Multimedia Tools and Applications, 77 (20) 27641-27660.
- Lv C, Wang H, Cao D, Zhao Y, Auger DJ, Sullman M, Matthias R, Skrypchuk L & Mouzakitis A (2018) Characterization of driver neuromuscular dynamics for human-automation collaboration design of automated vehicles, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Early online (6).
- Grenyer A, Addepalli S, Zhao Y, Oakey L, Erkoyuncu JA & Roy R (2018) Identifying challenges in quantifying uncertainty: case study in infrared thermography, Procedia CIRP, 73 108-113.
- Zhao Y, Laguna RC, Zhao Y, Liu JJ, He X, Yianni J & Sarrigiannis PG (2018) A wavelet-based correlation analysis framework to study cerebromuscular activity in essential tremor, Complexity, 2018 Article No. 7269494.
- Blackburn DJ, Zhao Y, De Marco M, Bell SM, He F, Wei HL, Lawrence S, Unwin ZC, Blyth M, Angel J, Baster K, Farrow TFD, Wilkinson ID, Billings SA, Venneri A & Sarrigiannis PG (2018) A pilot study investigating a novel non-linear measure of eyes open versus eyes closed EEG synchronization in people with Alzheimer's Disease and healthy controls, Brain Sciences, 8 (7) Article No. 134.
- Bai F, Gagar D, Foote P & Zhao Y (2017) Comparison of alternatives to amplitude thresholding for onset detection of acoustic emission signals, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 84 (Part A) 717-730.
- Zhao Y, Mehnen J, Sirikham A & Roy R (2017) A novel defect depth measurement method based on nonlinear system identification for pulsed thermographic inspection, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 85 (February) 382-395.
- Yitian Zhao, Yalin Zheng, Yonghuai Liu, Jian Yang, Yifan Zhao, Duanduan Chen & ongtian Wang (2017) Intensity and compactness enabled saliency estimation for leakage detection in diabetic and malarial retinopathy, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 36 (1) 51-63.
- Zhao Y, Su P, Yang J, Zhao Y, Zheng Y & Wang Y (2017) A compactness based saliency approach for leakages detection in fluorescein angiogram, International Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics, 8 (6) 1971-1979.
- Zhao Y, Zhao J, Yang J, Liu Y, Zhao Y, Zheng Y, Xia L & Wang Y (2017) Saliency driven vasculature segmentation with infinite perimeter active contour model, Neurocomputing, 259 201-209.
- Font comas T, Diao C, Ding J, Williams S & Zhao Y (2017) A passive imaging system for geometry measurement for the plasma arc welding process, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 64 (9) 7201-7209.
- Witwit W, Zhao Y, Jenkins K & Zhao Y (2017) Satellite image resolution enhancement using discrete wavelet transform and new edge-directed interpolation, Journal of Electronic Imaging, 26 (2) Article No. 23014.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Zhao Y, Liddel PD, Marchante VR & Roy R (2017) A novel process-linked assembly failure model for adhesively bonded composite structures, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 66 (1) 29-32. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4681009
- Whetton R, Zhao Y, Shaddad S & Mouazen AM (2017) Nonlinear parametric modelling to study how soil properties affect crop yields and NDVI, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 138 (June) 127-136.
- Whetton R, Zhao Y & Mouazen AM (2017) Quantifying individual and collective influences of soil properties on crop yield, Soil Research, 56 (1) 19-27.
- Sirikham A, Zhao Y & Mehnen J (2017) Determination of thermal wave reflection coefficient to better estimate defect depth using pulsed thermography, Infrared Physics and Technology, 86 1-10.
- Guo Y, Storm F, Zhao Y, Billings SA, Pavic A, Mazzà C & Guo L-Z (2017) A new proxy measurement algorithm with application to the estimation of vertical ground reaction forces using wearable sensors, Sensors, 17 (10) Article No. 2181. Dataset/s: 10.15131/shef.data.5341309
- Zhao Y, Hanna E, Bigg GR & Zhao Y (2017) Tracking nonlinear correlation for complex dynamic systems using a windowed error reduction ratio method, Complexity, 2017 Article No. 8570720.
- Zhao Y, Görne L, Yuen L-M, Cao D, Sullman M, Auger D, Lv C, Wang H, Matthias R, Skrypchuk L & Mouzakitis A (2017) An orientation sensor based head tracking system for driver behaviour monitoring, Sensors, 17 (11) Article No. 2692. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.17862/cranfield.rd.5616850
- Blackburn D, Sarrigiannis P, Yifan Z, De Marco M, Bell S, Venneri A, Billings S, Farrow T, Fei H, Unwin Z & Blythe M (2017) A novel quantitative EEG approach to distiguish Alzheimer’s disease from fronto tempura dementia and healthy controls, Journal of the Neurological Sciences, 381 (October).
- Zhao Y, Bigg GR, Billings SA, Hanna E, Sole AJ, Wei H, Kadirkamanathan V & Wilton DJ (2016) Inferring the variation of climatic and glaciological contributions to West Greenland iceberg discharge in the twentieth century, Cold Regions Science and Technology, 121 (January) 167-178.
- Witwit W, Zhao Y, Jenkins K & Zhao Y (2016) An optimal factor analysis approach to improve the wavelet-based image resolution enhancement techniques, Global Journal of Computer Science and Technology : F Graphics & Vision, 16 (3).
- Zhao Y, Liu Y, Wang Y, Wei B, Yang J, Zhao Y & Wang Y (2016) Region-based saliency estimation for 3D shape analysis and understanding, Neurocomputing, 197 (July) 1-13.
- Zhao Y, Tinsley L, Addepalli Sri, Mehnen J & Roy R (2016) A coefficient clustering analysis for damage assessment of composites based on pulsed thermographic inspection, NDT and E International, 83 (October) 59-67.
- Amrogowicz S, Zhao Y & Zhao Y (2016) An edge detection method using outer totalistic cellular automata, Neurocomputing, 214 (November) 643-653.
- Zhao Y, Mehnen J, Xu W, Alrashed M, Abineri S & Roy R (2015) Degradation assessment of industrial composites using thermography, Procedia CIRP, 38 147-152.
- Sarrigiannis PG, Zhao Y, He F, Wei H, Billings SA, Lawrence S, Rowe J, Romanowski C, Hoggard N, Rao DG, Grünewald R, Khan A, Hadjivassilliou M & Yianni J (2015) Direct functional connectivity between the thalamus (vim) and the contralateral motor cortex: just a single case observation or a common pathway in the human brain?, Brain Stimulation, 8 (6) 1230-1233.
- Guo LZ, Guo Y, Zhao Y, Billings SA, Coca D & Lang ZQ (2014) A spatial frequency domain analysis of the Belousov-Zhabotinsky reaction, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 24 (3).
- Sarrigiannis PG, Zhao Y, Wei H-L, Billings SA, Fotheringham J & Hadjivassiliou M (2014) Quantitative EEG analysis using error reduction ratio-causality test; validation on simulated and real EEG data, Clinical Neurophysiology, 125 (1) 32-46.
- Bigg GR, Wei HL, Wilton DJ, Zhao Y, Billings SA, Hanna E & Kadirkamanathan V (2014) A century of variation in the dependence of Greenland iceberg calving on ice sheet surface mass balance and regional climate change, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 470 (2166) Article No. 20130662.
- He F, Billings SA, Wei H-L, Sarrigiannis PG & Zhao Y (2013) Spectral analysis for nonstationary and nonlinear systems: A discrete-time-model-based approach, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 60 (8) 2233-2241.
- Zhao Y, Billings SA, Wei H, He F & Sarrigiannis PG (2013) A new NARX-based Granger linear and nonlinear casual influence detection method with applications to EEG data, Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 212 (1) 79-86.
- Zhao Y, Billings SA, Wei H & Sarrigiannis PG (2013) A parametric method to measure time-varying linear and nonlinear causality with Applications to EEG data, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 60 (11) 3141-3148.
- Zhao Y, Guo HM & Billings SA (2012) Identification of hybrid cellular automata using image segmentation methods, Journal of Cellular Automata, 7 (3) 243-258.
- Zhao Y, Wei HL & Billings SA (2012) A new adaptive fast cellular automaton neighborhood detection and rule identification algorithm, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B: Cybernetics, 42 (4) 1283-1287.
- Zhao Y, Guo HM & Billings SA (2012) Application of totalistic cellular automata for noise filtering in image processing, Journal of Cellular Automata, 7 (3) 207-221.
- Zhao Y, Coca D, Billings SA, Guo Y, Ristic RI, de Matosb LL & Dougherty A (2012) Identification of radius-vector functions of interface evolution for star-shaped crystal growth, Mathematical and Computer Modelling of Dynamical Systems, 18 (3) 261-272.
- Zhao Y, Billings SA, Wei H & Sarrigiannis PG (2012) Tracking time-varying causality and directionality of information flow using an error reduction ratio test with applications to electroencephalography data, Physical Review E, 86 (5) Article No. 051919.
- Guo Y, Zhao Y, Coca D & Billings SA (2011) A simple scalar coupled map lattice model for excitable media, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 21 (11) 3277-3292.
- Zhao Y, Coca D, Billings SA, Ristic RI & De Matos LL (2011) Identification of geometrical models of interface evolution for dendritic crystal growth, Physics Letters A, 375 (7) 1084-1091.
- Zhao Y, Billings SA, Guo Y, Coca D, Dematos LL & Ristic RI (2011) Spatio-temporal modeling of wave formation in an excitable chemical medium based on a revised fitzhughnagumo model, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 21 (2) 505-512.
- Zhao Y, Billings SA, Coca D, Guo Y, Ristic RI & Dematos LL (2011) Identification of a temperature dependent fitzhugh-nagumo model for the belousov-zhabotinskii reaction, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 21 (11) 3249-3258.
- Guo Y, Zhao Y, Billings SA, Coca D, Ristic RI & Dematos LL (2010) Identification of excitable media using a scalar coupled map lattice model, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 20 (7) 2137-2150.
- Wei HL, Billings SA, Zhao YF & Guo LZ (2010) An adaptive wavelet neural network for spatio-temporal system identification, Neural Networks, 23 (10) 1286-1299.
- Zhao Y, Billings SA, Coca D, Ristic RI & Dematos L (2009) Identification of the transition rule in a modified cellular automata model: The case of dendritic NH4BR crystal growth, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 19 (7) 2295-2305.
- Wei H-L, Billings SA, Zhao Y & Guo L (2009) Lattice dynamical wavelet neural networks implemented using particle swarm optimization for spatio-temporal system identification, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, 20 (1) 181-185.
- Zhao Y, Billings SA & Coca D (2009) Cellular automata modelling of dendritic crystal growth based on Moore and von Neumann neighbourhoods, International Journal of Modelling, Identification and Control, 6 (2) 119-125.
- Pan Y, Billings SA & Zhao Y (2008) The identification of Coupled Map Lattice models for autonomous cellular neural network patterns, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 18 (4) 985-996.
- Zhao Y, Billings SA & Routh AF (2007) Identification of excitable media using cellular automata models, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 17 (1) 153-168.
- Zhao Y, Billings SA & Routh AF (2007) Identification of the belousov-zhabotinskii reaction using cellular automata models, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 17 (5) 1687-1702.
- Zhao Y & Billings SA (2007) The Identification of Cellular Automata, Journal of Cellular Automata, 2 (1) 47-65.
- Zhao Y & Billings SA (2006) Neighborhood detection using mutual information for the identification of cellular automata, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B: Cybernetics, 36 (2) 473-479.
- Lv C, Wang H, Cao D, Zhao Y, Sullman M, Auger DJ, Brighton J, Matthias R, Skrypchuk L & Mouzakitis A (2018) A Novel Control Framework of Haptic Take-Over System for Automated Vehicles. In: 2018 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), Changshu, Suzhou, 26-30 June 2018.
- Lv C, Wang H, Cao D, Zhao Y, Auger DJ, Sullman M, Matthias R, Skrypchuk L & Mouzakitis A (2017) Characterisation of driver neuromuscular dynamics for haptic take-over system design for automated vehicles. In: IECON 2017 - 43rd Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Beijing, 29 October - 1 November 2017.
- Gagar D, Bai F, Zhao Y & Foote P (2016) New methods for onset detection of acoustic emission signals. In: 8th European Workshop On Structural Health Monitoring (EWSHM 2016), Bilbao, 5-8 July 2016. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4725937.v1
- Wei H-L, Zhao Y, Billings SA & Zhao J (2012) Fractional power NARX model identification using a harmony search algorithm. In: IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Measurement Systems and Applications, 2012, Tianjin, 2-4 July 2012.
- Carlos Reyes-Aldasoro C, Zhao Y, Coca D, Billings SA, Kadirkamanathan V, Tozer GM & Renshaw SA (2009) Analysis of immune cell function using in vivo cell shape analysis and tracking. In: 4th IAPR International Conference on Pattern, Sheffield, 7 September 2009.
- Rossiter A, Allen S, Bacon C, Bin Z, Pan Y, Zhao Y & Shead L (2007) Engaging year 1 students through problem based learning. In: ECC' 07 : European Control Conference, Kos, 2 February 2007.
- Wei HL, Zhao Y & Jiang R A wavelet neural network model for spatio-temporal image processing and modeling. In: 10th International Conference on Computer Science & Education (ICCSE 2015), Cambridge University, 22-24 July 2015.
- Yazdani Nezhad H, Ayre D, Addepalli P & Zhao Y Performance of aerospace composite bonded joints in the presence of process-induced defects. In: 39th International MATADOR Conference on Advanced Manufacturing, Manchester, 5-7 July 2017.