Contact Dr Yan Xu
Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Aviation Management & Operations
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
Dr. Yan Xu is a Lecturer in ATM/CNS, with the Centre for Aeronautics in the School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing. Before taking the academic role, he conducted his postdoc research in the same school as a Research Fellow in UTM. Prior to joining Cranfield University, he received his Ph.D. in Aerospace Science and Technology from the Technical University of Catalonia (Spain), working with Prof. Xavier Prats, and received his M.Sc. and B.Eng. in Traffic Engineering from Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics (China). He performed a visiting study in early 2017 at the Ecole Nationale de l'Aviation Civile (France) hosted by Prof. Daniel Delahaye. His main research interests include air traffic flow management, aircraft trajectory optimisation and UAV traffic management.
Self-motivated PhD candidate with strong operations research, algorithm/software development and aviation background are encouraged to apply. Experience with air/unmanned traffic management are highly valued.
He is currently involved in the simulation, operation and upgrading activities of the ATM Laboratory based in the Aerospace Integrated Research Centre (AIRC).
He is the Cranfield PI of project ISOBAR (artificial Intelligence to forecaSt meteO-Based DCB imbAlances for netwoRk operations planning), 2020-2022, funded by SESAR JU, under the EU H2020 programme.
He is also involved in the GAUSS (Galileo-EGNOS as an Asset for UTM Safety and Security) project, which aims fast and thorough achievement of acceptable levels in terms of performance, safety and security for both, current RPAS (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems) and future UTM (UAV Traffic Management) operations.
Articles In Journals
- Tian Y, He X, Xu Y, Wan L & Ye B (2020) 4D trajectory optimization of commercial flight for green civil aviation, IEEE Access, 8 62815-62829.
- Xu Y, Dalmau R, Melgosa M, Montlaur A & Prats X (2020) A framework for collaborative air traffic flow management minimizing costs for airspace users: enabling trajectory options and flexible pre-tactical delay management, Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 124 (April) 229-255. Dataset/s: 10.1016/j.trb.2020.02.012
- Xu Y, Prats X & Delahaye D (2020) Synchronised demand-capacity balancing in collaborative air traffic flow management, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 114 (May) 359-376.
- Xu Y & Prats X (2018) Linear holding for airspace flow programs: a case study on delay absorption and recovery, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 20 (3) 1042-1051.
- Xu Y, Dalmau R & Prats X (2018) Climb, cruise, and descent speed reduction for airborne delay without extra fuel, Journal of Aircraft, 55 (3) 1299-1304.
- Xu Y & Prats X (2018) Including linear holding in air traffic flow management for flexible delay handling, Journal of Air Transportation, 25 (4).
- Xu Y & Prats X (2017) Effects of linear holding for reducing additional flight delays without extra fuel consumption, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 53 (June) 388-397.
- Xu Y, Dalmau R & Prats X (2017) Maximizing airborne delay at no extra fuel cost by means of linear holding, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 81 (August) 137-152.
- Xu Y, Zhang H, Liao Z & Yang L (2016) A dynamic air traffic model for analyzing relationship patterns of traffic flow parameters in terminal airspace, Aerospace Science and Technology, 55 (August) 10-23.
- Zhang H, Xu Y, Yang L & Liu H (2014) Macroscopic model and simulation analysis of air traffic flow in airport terminal areas, Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, 2014 Article No. 741654.
- Xu Y, Prats X & Yin J (2018) Coordinated trajectory management for integrated control of airport and airspace operations. In: 2018 IEEE/AIAA 37th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), London, 23-27 September 2018.
- Yin J, Hu Y, Ma Y, Xu Y, Han K & Chen D (2018) Machine learning techniques for taxi-out time prediction with a macroscopic network topology. In: 2018 IEEE/AIAA 37th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), London, 23-27 September 2018.
- Xu Y, Prats X & Delahaye D (2018) Synchronization of traffic flow and sector opening for collaborative demand and capacity balancing. In: 2018 IEEE/AIAA 37th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), London, 23-27 September 2018.
- Yang L, Yin S, Hu M & Xu Y (2017) A case study of non-linear dynamics of "human-flow" behavior in terminal airspace. In: 12th USA/Europe Air Traffice Management R and D Seminar, Seattle, 26-30 June 2017.
- Xu Y & Prats X (2017) Including linear holding in air traffic flow management for flexible delay handling. In: 12th USA/Europe Air Traffice Management R and D Seminar, Seattle, 26-30 June 2017.