Contact Dr Yan Xu
Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Aviation Management & Operations
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
Dr. Yan Xu is a Lecturer in ATM/CNS, with the Centre for Autonomous and Cyber-Physical Systems in the School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing. Before taking the academic role, he conducted his postdoc research with the Centre for Aeronautics in the same school as a Research Fellow in UTM. Prior to joining Cranfield University, he received his Ph.D. in Aerospace Science and Technology from the Technical University of Catalonia, and received his M.Sc. and B.Eng. in Traffic Engineering from Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics. He performed a visiting study in early 2017 at the Ecole Nationale de l'Aviation Civile. His main research interests include air traffic flow and capacity management, aircraft trajectory optimisation, UAS traffic management and Urban Air Mobility.
Self-motivated PhD candidate with strong operations research, algorithm/software development and aviation background are encouraged to apply. Experience with air/unmanned traffic management are highly valued.
He is currently involved in the simulation, operation and upgrading activities of the ATM Laboratory based in the Digital Aviation Research and Technology Centre (DARTeC).
Ongoing research projects:
Cranfield PI of project ISOBAR (artificial Intelligence to forecaSt meteO-Based DCB imbAlances for netwoRk operations planning), 2020-2022, funded by SESAR JU, under the EU H2020 programme, ID: 891965.
Cranfield PI of EPSRC DTP programme in partnership with Boeing Research & Technology Europe: Contingency Management of the Advanced Air Mobility System of Systems: UAS/UAM, Integrated ATM/UTM and Infrastructures.
Cranfield Co-I of project AMU-LED (Air Mobility Urban - Large Experimental Demonstrations), 2021-2022, funded by SESAR JU, under the EU H2020 programme, ID: 101017702.
He is also involved in the GAUSS (Galileo-EGNOS as an Asset for UTM Safety and Security) project, which aims fast and thorough achievement of acceptable levels in terms of performance, safety and security for both, current RPAS (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems) and future UTM (UAV Traffic Management) operations.
Articles In Journals
- Yuan L, Jin J, Xu Y, Zhang N & Zhang B (2022) Study on recognition method of similar weather scenes in terminal area, Computer Systems Science and Engineering, 44 (2) 1171-1185.
- Tang Y, Xu Y & Inalhan G (2022) An integrated approach for on-demand dynamic capacity management service in U-space, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Available online 15 March 2022.
- Xu Y, Camargo L & Prats X (2021) Fast-time demand-capacity balancing optimizer for collaborative air traffic flow management, Journal of Aerospace Information Systems, 18 (8).
- Zhang Q, Le M & Yu X (2021) Collaborative delay management towards demand-capacity balancing within User Driven Prioritisation Process, Journal of Air Transport Management, 91 (March) Article No. 102017.
- Tian Y, He X, Xu Y, Wan L & Ye B (2020) 4D trajectory optimization of commercial flight for green civil aviation, IEEE Access, 8 62815-62829.
- Xu Y, Dalmau R, Melgosa M, Montlaur A & Prats X (2020) A framework for collaborative air traffic flow management minimizing costs for airspace users: enabling trajectory options and flexible pre-tactical delay management, Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 134 (April) 229-255. Dataset/s: 10.1016/j.trb.2020.02.012
- Xu Y, Prats X & Delahaye D (2020) Synchronised demand-capacity balancing in collaborative air traffic flow management, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 114 (May) 359-376.
- Xu Y & Prats X (2018) Linear holding for airspace flow programs: a case study on delay absorption and recovery, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 20 (3) 1042-1051.
- Xu Y, Dalmau R & Prats X (2018) Climb, cruise, and descent speed reduction for airborne delay without extra fuel, Journal of Aircraft, 55 (3) 1299-1304.
- Xu Y & Prats X (2018) Including linear holding in air traffic flow management for flexible delay handling, Journal of Air Transportation, 25 (4).
- Xu Y, Dalmau R & Prats X (2017) Maximizing airborne delay at no extra fuel cost by means of linear holding, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 81 (August) 137-152.
- Xu Y & Prats X (2017) Effects of linear holding for reducing additional flight delays without extra fuel consumption, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 53 (June) 388-397.
- Xu Y, Zhang H, Liao Z & Yang L (2016) A dynamic air traffic model for analyzing relationship patterns of traffic flow parameters in terminal airspace, Aerospace Science and Technology, 55 (August) 10-23.
- Zhang H, Xu Y, Yang L & Liu H (2014) Macroscopic model and simulation analysis of air traffic flow in airport terminal areas, Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, 2014 Article No. 741654.
- Su Y & Xu Y (2022) Risk-based flight planning and management for urban air mobility. In: AIAA Aviation 2022 Forum, Chicago, IL, 27 June - 1 July 2022.
- Altun AT, Xu Y, Inalhan G, Vidal-Franco I & Hardt M (2022) Contingency management concept generation for U-space system. In: 2022 Integrated Communication, Navigation and Surveillance Conference (ICNS), Dulles, 5-7 April 2022.
- Tang Y & Xu Y (2021) Multi-agent deep reinforcement learning for solving large-scale air traffic flow management problem: a time-step sequential decision approach. In: 2021 AIAA/IEEE 40th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), San Antonio, 3-7 October 2021.
- Chen Y, Xu Y, Hu M & Yang L (2021) Demand and capacity balancing technology based on multi-agent reinforcement learning. In: 2021 AIAA/IEEE 40th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), San Antonio, 3-7 October 2021.
- Chen Y, Xu Y, Hu M, Huang F & Nie Q (2021) A 4D-trajectory planning method based on hybrid optimization strategy for demand and capacity balancing. In: 2021 AIAA/IEEE 40th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), San Antonio, 3-7 October 2021.
- Huang C & Xu Y (2021) Integrated frameworks of unsupervised, supervised and reinforcement learning for solving air traffic flow management problem. In: 2021 AIAA/IEEE 40th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), San Antonio, 3-7 October 2021.
- Xu Y, Prats X & Yin J (2018) Coordinated trajectory management for integrated control of airport and airspace operations. In: 2018 IEEE/AIAA 37th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), London, 23-27 September 2018.
- Yin J, Hu Y, Ma Y, Xu Y, Han K & Chen D (2018) Machine learning techniques for taxi-out time prediction with a macroscopic network topology. In: 2018 IEEE/AIAA 37th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), London, 23-27 September 2018.
- Xu Y, Prats X & Delahaye D (2018) Synchronization of traffic flow and sector opening for collaborative demand and capacity balancing. In: 2018 IEEE/AIAA 37th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), London, 23-27 September 2018.
- Yang L, Yin S, Hu M & Xu Y (2017) A case study of non-linear dynamics of "human-flow" behavior in terminal airspace. In: 12th USA/Europe Air Traffice Management R and D Seminar, Seattle, 26-30 June 2017.
- Xu Y & Prats X (2017) Including linear holding in air traffic flow management for flexible delay handling. In: 12th USA/Europe Air Traffice Management R and D Seminar, Seattle, 26-30 June 2017.