Areas of expertise
- Electric Power Machines
- Energy Asset Management
- Power Systems & Turbines
- Renewable Energy
Dr Xin Zhang is a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Energy Systems at Cranfield University (since 2019), and an IEEE Senior Member. His research experience covers power system planning and operation, renewable energy integration to the grid, and power grid interaction with transport electrification (EV, electric aircraft).
Dr Zhang worked at National Grid UK (2011-2019), Chartered Engineer since 2017, where he undertook various roles including national generation scheduling, power system modelling and electricity market operation, mainly in the UK Electricity National Control Centre. He has also initiated and managed several National Grid’s network innovation projects with UK universities. He completed a PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (2010), and an MSc (distinction) in Electrical Power Engineering (2007), both at the University of Manchester. He received the B.Eng. degree in Control Systems (2006) from Shandong University.
Dr. Xin Zhang’s professional membership and
- - Senior Member of IEEE
- - Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the UK Engineering Council
- - Committee member of the IET Registration & Standards Committee (R&SC) for Fellowship assessment and academic accreditation
***Full PhD Scholarship Opportunity***:
2020.10 - 2023.10, EPSRC DTP Doctoral Training Partnership, "Smart energy infrastructure for future power networks", UK/EU Tuition fee cover + £18,000 Stipend per year for 3 years, UK / EU only due to the EPSRC funding eligibility.
I am accepting PhD / MSc research students with a research interest in:
- - Power system planning, operation and control (distribution, transmission, generation dispatch, smart metering)
- - Power system with renewable and distributed energy resources (wind, solar, energy storage)
- - Smart grid / Smart city with electrified transport systems (transport electrification, EV, electric aircraft)
EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP), "Smart energy infrastructure for future power networks", partnership with HVSS Ltd and National Grid, PI, £99,721, 2020.10 - 2023.10
East West Railway Company, Industry-funded project "Solar East-West Rail", PI, £10,000, 2020.2 - 2020.6
Department for Transport, Technology Research Innovation Grants (T-TRIG), "Aircraft to Grid (A2G): Hybrid and Smart Charging for Electric Aircraft", PI, £30,000, 2019.12 - 2020.7
EPSRC (through Supergen Energy Networks), "GRid flexibility by Electrifying Energy Networks for Airport (GREEN Airport)" (SENFC1 - 023), PI, £50,000, 2019.9 - 2020.12
PhD Students (Primary Supervision):
Mr Zekun Guo, Oct 2019 - , BEng from Shandong University, MSc by Research from University of Edinburgh. Research topic: Electrifying Energy Networks for Green Airports.
Mr Emmanuel Agbaje, Feb 2020 - , BEng from University of Port Harcourt, MSc from University of Salford (Distinction), 5 years’ industrial experience in electrical engineering, PTDF Scholarship. Research topic: Smart Grid Control and Operation with Renewable Energy.
Ms Yuan Tian, Sep 2020 - , MEng from Tianjin University of Commerce, MSc by Research in Energy and Power at Cranfield University. Research topic: Multi-energy Systems with Energy Storage.
Ms Lijia Duan, Oct 2020 - , BSc from University of Delaware (United States), MSc Renewable Energy from Cranfield University. Research topic: Solar-Hydrogen-Storage Integrated Electric Vehicle Charging Station.
PhD Students (Co-Supervision):
Ms Delina Mawarni, Oct 2019 - , BEng and MSc from University of Indonesia, MSc from Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands. Research topic: Integration of Renewable Energy Generation System with the Grids.
EPSRC - Engineering and Physical Science Research Council
EPSRC Supergen - Energy Networks Hub
Department for Transport
EPSRC DTE Network Plus - Decarbonising Transport through Electrification
East West Railway Company
Smart Metering Systems - SMS Plc
High Voltage Substation Services (HVSS) Ltd
Articles In Journals
- Cui Y, Zhu J, Zoras S, Qiao Y & Zhang X (2020) Energy performance and life cycle cost assessments of a photovoltaic/thermal assisted heat pump system, Energy, 206 (September) Article No. 118108.
- Zhang G, Zhang F, Zhang X, Wang Z, Meng K & Yang Dong Z (2020) Mobile emergency generator planning in resilient distribution systems: a three-stage stochastic model with nonanticipativity constraints, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Available online 19 June 2020.
- Zhao P, Gu C, Xiang Y, Zhang X, Shen Y & Li S (2020) Reactive power optimization in integrated electricity and gas systems, IEEE Systems Journal, Available online 28 May 2020.
- Wang H, Gu C, Zhang X & Li F (2020) Optimal CHP planning in integrated energy systems considering network charges, IEEE Systems Journal, 14 (2) 2684-2693.
- Zhang G, Zhang F, Zhang X, Wu Q & Meng K (2020) A multi-disaster-scenario distributionally robust planning model for enhancing the resilience of distribution systems, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 122 (November) Article No. 106161.
- Zhang G, Zhang F, Zhang X, Meng K & Yang Dong Z (2020) Sequential disaster recovery model for distribution systems with co-optimization of maintenance and restoration crew dispatch, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Available online 12 May 2020.
- Xiang Y, Hong J, Yang Z, Wang Y, Huang Y, Zhang X, Chai Y & Yao H (2020) Slope-based shape cluster method for smart metering load profiles, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 11 (2) 1809-1811.
- Zhang G, Zhang F, Meng K, Zhang X & Dong ZY (2020) A fixed-point based distributed method for energy flow calculation in multi-energy systems, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Available online 15 January 2020.
- Xiang Y, Su Y, Wang Y, Liu J & Zhang X (2019) An explicit formula based estimation method for distribution network reliability, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 35 (August) 2109-2112.
- Li Z, Liu J, Xiang Y, Zhang X & Chai Y (2019) Modeling agricultural load based on crop evapotranspiration and light integration for economic operation of greenhouse power system, CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems, Available online 7 October 2019.
- Yan X, Gu C, Zhang X & Furong Li F (2019) Robust optimization-based energy storage operation for system congestion management, IEEE Systems Journal, 14 (2) 2694-2702.
- Wang C, Li J, Hu Y, Zhang X & Varga L (2019) Load frequency control based on equivalent-input-disturbance method for isolated small hybrid power system, DEStech Transactions on Environment, Energy and Earth Sciences.
- Wu G, Xiang Y, Liu J, Zhang X & Tang S (2019) Chance-constrained optimal dispatch of integrated electricity and natural gas systems considering medium and long-term electricity transactions, CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems, 5 (3) 315-323.
- Hu S, Xiang Y, Zhang X, Liu J, Wang R & Hong B (2019) Reactive power operability of distributed energy resources for voltage stability of distribution networks, Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy, 7 (4) 851-861.
- Cai D, Ding L, Zhang X & Terzija V (2019) Wide area inter-area oscillation control system in a GB electric power system, Journal of Engineering, 2019 (16) 3294-3300.
- Hu S, Xiang Y, Liu J, Gu C, Zhang X, Tian Y, Liu Z & Xiong J (2019) Agent-based coordinated operation strategy for active distribution network with distributed energy resources, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 55 (4) 3310-3320.
- Xiang Y, Hu S, Liu Y, Zhang X & Liu J (2019) Electric vehicles in smart grid: a survey on charging load modelling, IET Smart Grid, 2 (1) 25-33.
- Liu J, Li J, Xiang Y, Zhang X & Jiang W (2019) Optimal sizing of cascade hydropower and distributed photovoltaic included virtual power plant considering investments and complementary benefits in electricity markets, Energies, 12 (5) Article No. 952.
- Li Q, Bu S, Booth C, Urdal H, Zhu J, Hu J, Hung W, Wang C & Zhang X (2018) Synthetic inertia control strategy for doubly fed induction generator wind turbine generators using lithium-ion supercapacitors, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 33 (2) 773-783.
- Bu S, Zhang X, Zhu J & Liu X (2018) Comparison analysis on damping mechanisms of power systems with induction generator based wind power generation, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 97 (April) 250-261.
- Gu C, Zhang X, Ma K, Yan J & Song Y (2018) Impact analysis of electricity supply unreliability to interdependent economic sectors by an economic-technical approach, Renewable Energy, 122 (July) 108-117.
- Zhang X, Zhu J, Bu S, Li Q, Terzija V & Rowland S (2018) The development of low-current surface arcs under clean and salt-fog conditions in electricity distribution networks, IEEE Access, 6 (1) 15835-15843.
- Xia S, Bu S, Zhang X, Xu Y, Zhou B & Zhu J (2018) Model reduction strategy of doubly-fed induction generator-based wind farms for power system small-signal rotor angle stability analysis, Applied Energy, 222 (July) 608-620.
- Yan X, Zhang X, Gu C & Li F (2018) Power to gas: addressing renewable curtailment by converting to hydrogen, Frontiers in Energy, 12 (4) 560-568.
- Zhang X, Bruce A, Rowland S, Terzija V & Bu S (2018) Modeling the development of low current arcs and arc resistance simulation, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 25 (6) 2049-2057.
- Wang H, Gu C, Zhang X, Li F & Gu L (2018) Identifying the correlation between ambient temperature and gas consumption in a local energy system, CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems, 4 (4) 479-486.
- Liu J, Chai Y, Xiang Y, Zhang X, Gou S & Liu Y (2018) Clean energy consumption of power systems towards smart agriculture: roadmap, bottlenecks and technologies, CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems, 4 (3) 273-282.
- Bu S, Zhang X, Xia S, Xu Y, Zhou B & Lu X (2017) Reducing model complexity of DFIG-based wind turbines to improve the efficiency of power system stability analysis, Energy Procedia, 142 971-976.
- Zhang X & Rowland S (2012) Stability and energy of low current surface discharges on wet surfaces, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 19 (6) 2055-2062.
- Zhang X, Rowland SM & Terzija V (2010) Increased energy in stable dry-band arcs due to length compression, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 17 (2) 473-480.
- Rowland SM, Kopsidas K & Zhang X (2010) Aging of polyethylene ADSS sheath by low currents, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 25 (2) 947-952.