Areas of expertise
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Electric Power Machines
- Energy Asset Management
- Power Systems & Turbines
- Renewable Energy
Dr Xin Zhang is a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Energy Systems at Cranfield University since 2019. His research experience covers power system planning and operation with renewable energy, and grid interaction with land-air transport electrification (electric vehicles, electric aircraft). He is currently supervising 6 PhD students (as primary supervisor) and researching on a few projects (as PI) funded by EPSRC and Department for Transport.
Dr Zhang worked at National Grid UK for 8 years before joining Cranfield, Chartered Engineer since 2017, where he undertook power system planning and real-time operation, mainly in the UK Electricity National Control Centre. He has also initiated and managed several National Grid’s network innovation projects with UK universities.
Education and Qualification:
- - PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Manchester
- - MSc (distinction) in Electrical Power Engineering, The University of Manchester
- - B.Eng. degree in Control Systems, Shandong University
Professional membership and Services:
- - Senior Member of IEEE
- - Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the UK Engineering Council
- - Committee member of the IET Registration & Standards Committee (R&SC) for Fellowship assessment and academic accreditation
- - Leader of Supergen Architectures Working Group, EPSRC Supergen Energy Networks Hub
***Full PhD Scholarship Opportunity***:
2020.10 - 2023.10, EPSRC DTP Doctoral Training Partnership, "Smart energy infrastructure for future power networks", UK/EU Tuition fee cover + £18,000 Stipend per year for 3 years, UK / EU only due to the EPSRC funding eligibility.
I am accepting PhD / MSc research students with a research interest in:
- - Power system planning, operation and control (distribution, transmission, generation dispatch, smart metering)
- - Power system with renewable and distributed energy resources (wind, solar, energy storage)
- - Smart grid / Smart city with electrified transport systems (transport electrification, urban air mobility, EV, electric aircraft)
PI, 2021.1 - 2021.7: Department for Transport, Technology Research Innovation Grants (T-TRIG2020), "Solar-Hydrogen-Storage Integrated Electric Vehicle Charging Station in Future Cities", £30,000
PI, 2020.9 - 2023.9: EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP), "Smart energy infrastructure for future power networks", partnership with HVSS Ltd and National Grid, £99,721
PI, 2020.2 - 2020.6: East West Railway Company, Industry-funded project "Solar East-West Rail", £20,000
PI, 2019.12 - 2020.7: Department for Transport, Technology Research Innovation Grants (T-TRIG2019), "Aircraft to Grid (A2G): Hybrid and Smart Charging for Electric Aircraft", £30,000
PI, 2019.9 - 2020.12: EPSRC (through Supergen Energy Networks), "GRid flexibility by Electrifying Energy Networks for Airport (GREEN Airport)" (SENFC1 - 023), £50,000
PhD Students (Primary Supervision):
Mr Zekun Guo, Oct 2019 - , BEng from Shandong University, MSc by Research from University of Edinburgh. Research topic: Electrifying Energy Networks for Green Airports.
Mr Emmanuel Agbaje, Feb 2020 - , BEng from University of Port Harcourt, MSc from University of Salford (Distinction), 5 years’ industrial experience in electrical engineering, PTDF Scholarship. Research topic: Smart Grid and Control and Operation for Urban Air Mobility.
Ms Yuan Tian, Sep 2020 - , MSc by Research in Energy and Power at Cranfield University. Research topic: Multi-energy Systems in Future Electrified Airport.
Ms Lijia Duan, Sep 2020 - , BSc from University of Delaware (United States), MSc Renewable Energy from Cranfield University. Research topic: Solar-Hydrogen-Storage Integrated Electric Vehicle Charging Station.
Mr Al Husien Dabashi, Sep 2020 - , BEng (First-Class Hons) in Electronic & Communications Engineering from The University of Leeds. Research topic: Smart energy infrastructure for future power networks - EPSRC DTP Studentship.
Ms Susan Adedokun, Sep 2020 - , BEng (Hons) in Computer and Information Engineering, MBA from Kingston Business School, CEng, Research topic: Self-sufficient and sustainable energy systems to enhance electricity supply and resilience in developing countries.
Perspective Research Students:
BoZheng Li, Sep 2021 - , BEng in Electronic Information Engineering, Southwest Jiaotong University, Research topic: Optimization of Charging Grids for Electric Vertical Take-off and Landing Aircrafts (eVTOLs).
EPSRC - Engineering and Physical Science Research Council
EPSRC Supergen - Energy Networks Hub
Department for Transport
EPSRC DTE Network Plus - Decarbonising Transport through Electrification
East West Railway Company
Smart Metering Systems - SMS Plc
High Voltage Substation Services (HVSS) Ltd
Articles In Journals
- Xiang Y, Cai H, Liu J & Zhang X (2021) Techno-economic design of energy systems for airport electrification: A hydrogen-solar-storage integrated microgrid solution, Applied Energy, Available online 2 January 2021, Article No. 116374.
- Xiang Y, Zhou L, Huang Y, Zhang X, Liu Y & Liu J (2021) Reactive coordinated optimal operation of distributed wind generation, Energy, 218 (March) Article No. 119417.
- Zhao P, Gu C, Hu Z, Zhang X, Chen X, Hernando-Gil I & Ding Y (2020) Economic-effective multi-energy management with voltage regulation networked with energy hubs, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Available online 15 October 2020.
- Zhang G, Zhang F, Meng K, Zhang X & Dong ZY (2020) A fixed-point based distributed method for energy flow calculation in multi-energy systems, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 11 (October) 2567-2580.
- Zhang G, Zhang F, Zhang X, Meng K & Yang Dong Z (2020) Sequential disaster recovery model for distribution systems with co-optimization of maintenance and restoration crew dispatch, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 11 (6) 4700-4713.
- Zhao P, Gu C, Xiang Y, Zhang X, Shen Y & Li S (2020) Reactive power optimization in integrated electricity and gas systems, IEEE Systems Journal, Available online 28 May 2020.
- Cui Y, Zhu J, Zoras S, Qiao Y & Zhang X (2020) Energy performance and life cycle cost assessments of a photovoltaic/thermal assisted heat pump system, Energy, 206 (September) Article No. 118108.
- Zhang G, Zhang F, Zhang X, Wang Z, Meng K & Yang Dong Z (2020) Mobile emergency generator planning in resilient distribution systems: a three-stage stochastic model with nonanticipativity constraints, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Available online 19 June 2020 (6).
- Wang H, Gu C, Zhang X & Li F (2020) Optimal CHP planning in integrated energy systems considering network charges, IEEE Systems Journal, 14 (2) 2684-2693.
- Zhang G, Zhang F, Zhang X, Wu Q & Meng K (2020) A multi-disaster-scenario distributionally robust planning model for enhancing the resilience of distribution systems, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 122 (November) Article No. 106161.
- Xiang Y, Hong J, Yang Z, Wang Y, Huang Y, Zhang X, Chai Y & Yao H (2020) Slope-based shape cluster method for smart metering load profiles, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 11 (2) 1809-1811.
- Li Z, Liu J, Xiang Y, Zhang X & Chai Y (2019) Modeling agricultural load based on crop evapotranspiration and light integration for economic operation of greenhouse power system, CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems, Available online 7 October 2019.
- Xiang Y, Su Y, Wang Y, Liu J & Zhang X (2019) An explicit formula based estimation method for distribution network reliability, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 35 (August) 2109-2112.
- Yan X, Gu C, Zhang X & Furong Li F (2019) Robust optimization-based energy storage operation for system congestion management, IEEE Systems Journal, 14 (2) 2694-2702.
- Wang C, Li J, Hu Y, Zhang X & Varga L (2019) Load frequency control based on equivalent-input-disturbance method for isolated small hybrid power system, DEStech Transactions on Environment, Energy and Earth Sciences.
- Wu G, Xiang Y, Liu J, Zhang X & Tang S (2019) Chance-constrained optimal dispatch of integrated electricity and natural gas systems considering medium and long-term electricity transactions, CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems, 5 (3) 315-323.
- Hu S, Xiang Y, Zhang X, Liu J, Wang R & Hong B (2019) Reactive power operability of distributed energy resources for voltage stability of distribution networks, Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy, 7 (4) 851-861.
- Cai D, Ding L, Zhang X & Terzija V (2019) Wide area inter-area oscillation control system in a GB electric power system, Journal of Engineering, 2019 (16) 3294-3300.
- Hu S, Xiang Y, Liu J, Gu C, Zhang X, Tian Y, Liu Z & Xiong J (2019) Agent-based coordinated operation strategy for active distribution network with distributed energy resources, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 55 (4) 3310-3320.
- Xiang Y, Hu S, Liu Y, Zhang X & Liu J (2019) Electric vehicles in smart grid: a survey on charging load modelling, IET Smart Grid, 2 (1) 25-33.
- Liu J, Li J, Xiang Y, Zhang X & Jiang W (2019) Optimal sizing of cascade hydropower and distributed photovoltaic included virtual power plant considering investments and complementary benefits in electricity markets, Energies, 12 (5) Article No. 952.
- Li Q, Bu S, Booth C, Urdal H, Zhu J, Hu J, Hung W, Wang C & Zhang X (2018) Synthetic inertia control strategy for doubly fed induction generator wind turbine generators using lithium-ion supercapacitors, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 33 (2) 773-783.
- Bu S, Zhang X, Zhu J & Liu X (2018) Comparison analysis on damping mechanisms of power systems with induction generator based wind power generation, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 97 (April) 250-261.
- Gu C, Zhang X, Ma K, Yan J & Song Y (2018) Impact analysis of electricity supply unreliability to interdependent economic sectors by an economic-technical approach, Renewable Energy, 122 (July) 108-117.
- Xia S, Bu S, Zhang X, Xu Y, Zhou B & Zhu J (2018) Model reduction strategy of doubly-fed induction generator-based wind farms for power system small-signal rotor angle stability analysis, Applied Energy, 222 (July) 608-620.
- Zhang X, Zhu J, Bu S, Li Q, Terzija V & Rowland S (2018) The development of low-current surface arcs under clean and salt-fog conditions in electricity distribution networks, IEEE Access, 6 (1) 15835-15843.
- Yan X, Zhang X, Gu C & Li F (2018) Power to gas: addressing renewable curtailment by converting to hydrogen, Frontiers in Energy, 12 (4) 560-568.
- Zhang X, Bruce A, Rowland S, Terzija V & Bu S (2018) Modeling the development of low current arcs and arc resistance simulation, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 25 (6) 2049-2057.
- Wang H, Gu C, Zhang X, Li F & Gu L (2018) Identifying the correlation between ambient temperature and gas consumption in a local energy system, CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems, 4 (4) 479-486.
- Liu J, Chai Y, Xiang Y, Zhang X, Gou S & Liu Y (2018) Clean energy consumption of power systems towards smart agriculture: roadmap, bottlenecks and technologies, CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems, 4 (3) 273-282.
- Bu S, Zhang X, Xia S, Xu Y, Zhou B & Lu X (2017) Reducing model complexity of DFIG-based wind turbines to improve the efficiency of power system stability analysis, Energy Procedia, 142 971-976.
- Zhang X & Rowland S (2012) Stability and energy of low current surface discharges on wet surfaces, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 19 (6) 2055-2062.
- Zhang X, Rowland SM & Terzija V (2010) Increased energy in stable dry-band arcs due to length compression, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 17 (2) 473-480.
- Rowland SM, Kopsidas K & Zhang X (2010) Aging of polyethylene ADSS sheath by low currents, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 25 (2) 947-952.