Contact Dr Xiao Fang
- Tel: +44 (0) 1793 314678
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
- CBRN Focus Areas
- Explosives and Munitions
- Monitoring and Environmental Informatics
Xiao conducted his MPhil research on laser physics and devices and his PhD research on laser holography for micro-particle measurements. He undertook postdoctoral research on ultrafast laser mass spectroscopy and laser interaction with matter;
Dr Xiao Fang is a Senior Research Fellow and PhD supervisor in applied laser and spectroscopy.
Xiao's main research interests are:
- Laser interaction with matter for applications in laser ignition/initiation of energetic materials
- Applied laser/optical spectroscopy in sensitive detection/analysis of trace substances including CBRNE (Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosive).
Xiao's current activities are:
- Supervision of postgraduate research
- Research and development in laser induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS) for various applications in environmental monitoring, homeland security, forensic analysis, etc. including sensitive detection of trace heavy/toxic metals in water and soils, rapid detection/analysis of explosive materials and in-situ analysis/identification of firearm discharge residue and other forensic materials
- Research and development in the applications of molecular optical spectroscopy (including surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy techniques) for ultra-sensitive detection/analysis of bio-tissues and explosive materials
- Study of laser interaction with energetic materials and research and development in laser ignition applications
- Research and development in optical tracing of renewable materials.
Articles In Journals
- Fang X & Walton AJ (2023) Optical sensitising of insensitive energetic material for laser ignition, Optics and Laser Technology, 158, Part A, (February) Article No. 108767.
- Fang X, Stone M & Stennett C (2020) Pulsed laser irradiation of a nanoparticles sensitised RDX crystal, Combustion and Flame, 214 (April) 387-393.
- Churchyard S, Fang X & Vrcelj R (2019) Laser ignitibility of energetic crystals doped with gold nanoparticles, Optics and Laser Technology, 113 (May) 281-288.
- Fang X & Ahmad SR (2018) Laser ignitability of insensitive propellants, Advanced Materials Science, 3 (1) 1-4.
- Herreros DN & Fang X (2017) Laser ignition of elastomer-modified cast double-base (EMCDB) propellant using a diode laser, Optics and Laser Technology, 89 (March) 21-26.
- Fang X, Sharma M, Stennett C & Gill PP (2017) Optical sensitisation of energetic crystals with gold nanoparticles for laser ignition, Combustion and Flame, 183 (September) 15-21.
- Fang X & Ahmad SR (2016) Laser ignition of an optically sensitised secondary explosive by a diode laser, Central European journal of energetic materials, 13 (1) 103-115.
- Fang X & McLuckie WG (2015) Laser ignitibility of insensitive secondary explosive 1,1-diamino-2,2-dinitroethene (FOX-7), Journal of Hazardous Materials, 285 (March) 375-382.
- Fang X & Ahmad SR (2014) Elemental analysis in environmental land samples by stand-off laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy, Applied Physics B, 115 (4) 497-503.
- Fang X & Ahmad SR (2012) Detection of mercury in water by laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy with sample pre-concentration, Applied Physics B, 106 (2) 453-456.
- Peel CS, Fang X & Ahmad SR (2011) Dynamics of laser-induced cavitation in liquid, Applied Physics A, 103 (4) 1131-1138.
- Fang X & Ahmad SR (2009) Detection of explosive vapour using surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy, Applied Physics B, 97 (3) 723-726.
- Fang X & Ahmad SR (2007) Saturation effect at high laser pulse energies in laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy for elemental analysis in water, Laser and Particle Beams, 25 (4) 613-620.
- Fang X & Ahmad SR (2007) Sample presentation considerations in laser induced breakdown spectroscopy in aqueous solution, Environmental Technology, 61 (9) 1021-1024.
- Fang X & Ahmad SR (2005) An optical technique for in situ monitoring of trace elements in effluent, Environmental Technology, 26 1271-1276.
- Fang X, Ahmad SR, Mayo M & Iqbal S (2005) Elemental analysis of urinary calculi by laser induced plasma spectroscopy, Lasers in Medical Science, 20 (3-4) 132-137.
- Fang X, Rollason AJ & Dugdale DE (2004) Multipass optical cavity for inverse Compton interaction, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, 526 (3) 560-571.
- Ahmad SR, Keszler AM, Nemes L & Fang X (2004) Characterisation of carbon nano tube materials by Raman spectroscopy and microscopy - a case study of multiwalled and singlewalled samples, Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, 6 (4) 1269-1274.
- Ahmad SR, Contini AE, Fang X, Golding P, (2012) Laser ignition of an energetic polyphosphazene and its formulations with 2,2',4,4',6,6'-hexanitrostilbene (HNS).