Contact Dr Wojciech Suder
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x5051
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
Wojciech Suder works as a lecturer at Welding Engineering and Laser Processing Centre at Cranfield. He holds a PhD degree in hybrid laser welding and MSc in materials science. His main research focus is on laser-matter interactions, laser processing, metal inert gas (MIG) processes, hybrid laser welding and development of new welding processes. Hi works actively towards promoting more robust “black art”-free laser welding, by encouraging better understanding of laser welding amongst the laser users. His work, therefore, has been strongly applied and closely collaborative with various industries.
Wojciech has been working at Cranfield University since 2012 as a research fellow in laser processing. Since January 2016 he has been appointed as a lecturer in laser processing and welding science. His area of expertise is in laser processing and hybrid laser welding for various applications from micro-joining to thick section welding. He holds a PhD in laser welding from Cranfield University and an MSc in Materials Science from Gdansk University of Technology. Over a couple of years he has been actively involved in research on fundamentals of laser-material interactions and development of laser welding for various applications.
The recent projects involve:
- Development of empirical models for laser processing
- New applications for laser processing
- Development of laser and hybrid laser welding for new materials
- High productivity hybrid welding of pipeline steels
- Development of new welding processes
- Development of laser based additive manufacture
The main clients include:
- Heerema Marine Contractors
- M2i Materials
- BAE Systems
- SPI Lasers
Articles In Journals
- Ayoola WA, Suder WJ & Williams SW (2019) Effect of beam shape and spatial energy distribution on weld bead geometry in conduction welding, Optics and Laser Technology, 117 (September) 280-287. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.8035760
- Suder W, Ganguly S, Williams S & Yudodibroto B (2017) Root stability in hybrid laser welding, Journal of Laser Applications, 29 (2) Article No. 022410.
- Ayoola WA, Suder WJ & Williams SW (2017) Parameters controlling weld bead profile in conduction laser welding, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 249 (November) 522-530.
- Coroado J, Meco S, Williams S, Ganguly S, Suder W, Quintino L & Assunção E (2017) Fundamental understanding of the interaction of continuous wave laser with aluminium, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 93 (9-12) 3165-3174.
- Elmesalamy AS, Abdolvand H, Walsh JN, Francis JA, Suder W, Williams S & Li L (2016) Measurement and modelling of the residual stresses in autogenous and narrow gap laser welded AISI grade 316L stainless steel plates, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 147 (November) 64-78.
- Sule J, Ganguly S, Suder W & Pirling T (2016) Effect of high-pressure rolling followed by laser processing on mechanical properties, microstructure and residual stress distribution in multi-pass welds of 304L stainless steel, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 86 (5-8) 1-12.
- Suder WJ & Williams SW (2012) Investigation of the effects of basic laser material interaction parameters in laser welding, Journal of Laser Applications, 24 (3) Article No. 032009.
- Suder W, Ganguly S, Williams S, Paradowska AM & Colegrove P (2011) Comparison of joining efficiency and residual stresses in laser and laser hybrid welding, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, 16 (3) 244-248.
- Suder WJ & Williams SW (2011) Use of fundamental laser material interaction parameters in laser welding, Journal of Laser Applications, 24 (3).
- Paradowska AM, Suder W & Williams S (2010) Neutron diffraction residual stress measurements in key-hole laser formed weldments, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 251 (1) 012049-1-012049-5.
- Colegrove P, Ikeagu C, Thistlethwaite A, Williams S, Nagy T, Suder W, Steuwer A & Pirling T (2009) Welding process impact on residual stress and distortion, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, 14 (8) 717-725.
- Suder W & Williams S Parameter selection in laser welding using the power factor concept, Optics and Laser Technology, 103 654-659.
- Sarfraz S, Shehab E, Salonitis K, Suder W & Zahoor S (2018) Evaluation of productivity and operating cost of laser drilling process – a case study. In: 16th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR 2018), Skovde, 11-13 September 2018.
- Ganguly S, Suder W, Williams SW & Yudodibroto B (2014) Mixing of filler wire in deep penetration hybrid laser arc welding . In: 67th IIW International Conference, Seoul, 17-18 July 2014.
- Williams S & Suder W (2011) Use of fundamental laser material interaction parameters in laser welding. In: 2011 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, Baltimore, 1 May 2011.