Contact Dr Wei Zhang
Dr Zhang received BSc and MSc degrees in Electronic Engineering from Southeast University in China. He obtained his PhD from the Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China working on Optical fibre sensing technology for electricity industry.
Before joining Cranfield University, Dr Zhang had been a Senior Research Fellow in Aston Institute of Photonics Technologies at Aston University since 2002. Dr Zhang had industrial experience working as Senior Photonic Engineer at Indigo Photonics Ltd from 2001 to 2002. He was a post-doctoral research fellow at Aston University from September 1997 to September 2001 and was a visiting scholar at City University, from January 1995 to January 1996, and October 1996 to August 1997. Dr Zhang held a lectureship at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China before coming to UK.
With 30 years of experience and expertise Dr Zhang has been principal investigator, co-investigator and recognised researcher on over 20 research projects, and authored/co-authored some 140 papers in referenced international journals and conferences, one book chapter and hold 3 patents.
- Optical sensing and measurement for in-process precision manufacturing
- Non destructive test for production line
- Optical distributed sensing for structural health monitoring
Dr Zhang has carried out projects funded by EPSRC, Innovate UK/TSB/DTI, EC (FP7) and industry.
- SAFUEL, EC (FP7), 2012 – 2016.
- Ziebel USA, 09/2011- 01/2012.
- INSENSYS, 01/2011 – 06/2011.
- PHOSFOS, EC (FP7), 2009 – 2011
- CONSTRUCT, UK TSB, 2006 – 2009.
- INTEGRATED WING, UK TSB, 2006 – 2009.
- LASEWAVE, UK DTI, 2004 – 2006.
- Femtosecond inscription of photonic components, EPSRC, 07/2002 - 01/2003,
- High performance passive and active fibre Bragg grating based techniques for microwave photonic system, EPSRC, 2000 - 2001
- Microwave and millimetre wave signal processing in-fibre using Bragg gratings, EPSRC, 1997 - 2000
- An optical fibre strain measurement system using coherence optical grating techniques, EPSRC project, October 1996 to August 1997
Articles In Journals
- Zhang W, Webb D, Lao L, Hammond D, Carpenter M & Williams C (2019) Water content detection in aviation fuel by using PMMA based optical fiber grating, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 282 (March) 774-779.
- Zhang W & Webb DJ (2019) General expression of poly(methyl methacrylate) optical fiber Bragg grating sensing response, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 31 (3) 234-237.
- Zhang W, An L, Sherar P & Tian W (2018) Posture optimization algorithm for large structure assemblies based on skin model, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2018 Article No. 9680639.
- Zhang W & Webb DJ (2016) PMMA based optical fiber bragg grating for measuring moisture in transformer oil, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 28 (21) 2427-2430.
- Liu C, Cardoso MR, Zhang W & Chen X (2016) Characterization of polymer fiber bragg grating with ultrafast laser micromachining, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 28 (13) 1450-1453.
- Zhang W, Webb DJ & Peng GD (2015) Enhancing the sensitivity of poly(methyl methacrylate) based optical fiber Bragg grating temperature sensors, Optics Letters, 40 (17) 4046-4049.
- Zhang W, Abang A, Webb DJ & Peng GD (2015) Wavelength drift of PMMA-based optical fiber Bragg grating induced by optical absorption, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 27 (4) 336-339.
- Chen W, Zhang W, Chen L, Hong Y & Webb DJ (2015) Enhancing the humidity response time of polymer optical fiber Bragg grating by using laser micromachining, Optics Express, 23 (20) 25942-25949.
- Zhang W & Webb DJ (2014) Humidity responsivity of poly(methyl methacrylate)-based optical fiber Bragg grating sensors, Optics Letters, 39 (10) 3026-3029.