Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Energy and the Environment
- Renewable Energy
- Waste Management and Resource Efficiency
Before joining Cranfield University, Dr Vinod Kumar was a Marie Curie International Incoming Fellow in EPSRC/BBSRC Synthetic Biology Research Centre (SBRC) at University of Nottingham, UK. Prior to this, he worked as Post-Doctoral Fellow in France, South Korea and United Kingdom. He has worked on different biological systems; fungal, yeast and bacterial. His primary skills spans across Biochemical Engineering, Microbial Fermentations, Industrial Biotechnology, Metabolic Engineering and Synthetic Biology. Dr Kumar has worked on multidimensional projects aiming at Development of low cost, energy efficient and sustainable bioprocesses for production of biofertilizers, biopesticides, biofuels and biochemicals.
Dr Kumar earned his M.Sc. (Chemistry) and PhD (Biochemical Engineering & Biotechnology) degree from Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi), which is among the top five engineering institutes in India. He graduated in B.Sc (Hons) Chemistry from Hindu College, University of Delhi, India and was ranked first. Dr Kumar has qualified national as well as international level competition with top ranks. He qualified Marie Curie Fellowship with an overall score of 97.1/100. He qualified Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) examination in Chemistry (All India rank 4th with 99.77 percentile in GATE 2002) as well as Life Sciences (All India rank 1st with 99.99 percentile in GATE 2005). He also qualified joint CSIR-UGC (India) examination three times and two times secured position among top 20% awardees.
The research interests of Dr Kumar are bio-based production of fuels and chemicals from renewable sources. The work involves designing of microorganisms as cell factories for overproduction of industrially important compounds using Metabolic Engineering and Synthetic Biology tools. His current research focuses on development of second generation biorefinery, connecting industrial and agricultural waste streams to valuable products. Dr Kumar is very happy and quite excited to be a part of Cranfield University and looking forward to do some great work here.
Articles In Journals
- Baral P, Jain L, Kurmi AK, Kumar V & Agrawal D (2020) Augmented hydrolysis of acid pretreated sugarcane bagasse by PEG 6000 addition: a case study of Cellic CTec2 with recycling and reuse, Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, 43 (3) 473-482.
- Abtahi H, Parhamfar M, Saeedi R, Villaseñor J, Sartaj M, Kumar V, Coulon F, Parhamfar M, Didehdar M, Seifi H & Koolivand A (2020) Effect of competition between petroleum-degrading bacteria and indigenous compost microorganisms on the efficiency of petroleum sludge bioremediation: Field application of mineral-based culture in the composting process, Journal of Environmental Management, 258 (March) Article No. 110013.
- Thakur S, Chaudhary J, Kumar V & Thakur VK (2019) Progress in pectin based hydrogels for water purification: trends and challenges, Journal of Environmental Management, 238 (May) 210-223.
- Longhurst P & Kumar V (2018) Recycling of food waste into chemical building blocks, Current Opinion in Green and Sustainable Chemistry, 13 (October) 118-122.
- Kumar V & Park S (2017) Potential and limitations of Klebsiella pneumoniae as a microbial cell factory utilizing glycerol as the carbon source, Biotechnology Advances, 36 (January-Febuary) 150-167.
- Kumar V, Durgapal M, Sankaranarayanan M, Somasundar A, Rathnasingh C, Song H, Seung D & Park S (2016) Effects of mutation of 2,3-butanediol formation pathway on glycerol metabolism and 1,3-propanediol production by Klebsiella pneumoniae J2B, Bioresource Technology, 214 (August) 432-440.
- Kumar V, Hart AJ, Keerthiraju ER, Waldron PR, Tucker GA & Greetham D (2015) Expression of mitochondrial cytochrome C oxidase chaperone gene (COX20) improves tolerance to weak acid and oxidative stress during yeast fermentation, PLoS ONE, 10 (10) Article No. e0139129.
- Kumar V, Hart AJ, Wimalasena TT, Tucker GA & Greetham D (2015) Expression of RCK2 MAPKAP (MAPK-activated protein kinase) rescues yeast cells sensitivity to osmotic stress, Microbial Cell Factories, 14 (85).
- Durgapal M, Kumar V, Yang TH, Lee HJ, Seung D & Park S (2014) Production of 1,3-propanediol from glycerol using the newly isolated Klebsiella pneumoniae J2B, Bioresource Technology, 159 (May) 223-231.
- Ashok S, Raja SM, Ko Y, Sankaranarayanan M, Zhou S, Kumar V & Park S (2013) Effect of puuC overexpression and nitrate addition on glycerol metabolism and anaerobic 3-hydroxypropionic acid production in recombinant Klebsiella pneumoniae ΔglpKΔdhaT, Metabolic Engineering, 15 10-24.
- Ashok S, Sankaranarayanan M, Ko Y, Jae KE, Ainala SK, Kumar V & Park S (2013) Production of 3-hydroxypropionic acid from glycerol by recombinant Klebsiella pneumoniae ΔdhaTΔyqhD which can produce vitamin B12 naturally, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 110 (2) 511-524.
- Kumar V, Ashok S & Park S (2013) Recent advances in biological production of 3-hydroxypropionic acid, Biotechnology Advances, 31 (6) 945-961.
- Kumar V, Sankaranarayanan M, Durgapal M, Zhou S, Ko Y, Ashok S, Sarkar R & Park S (2013) Simultaneous production of 3-hydroxypropionic acid and 1,3-propanediol from glycerol using resting cell system of D-lactic acid deficient mutant of Klebsiella pneumoniae with overexpression of KGSADH, Bioresource Technology, 135 555-563.
- Arasu MV, Sarkar R, Sekar BS, Kumar V, Rathnasingh C, Choi J, Song H, Seung D & Park S (2013) Isolation of a novel Pseudomonas species SP2 which produce vitamin B12 under aerobic condition, Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, 18 (1) 43-51.
- Ko Y, Ashok S, Zhou S, Kumar V & Park S (2012) Aldehyde dehydrogenase activity is important to the production of 3-hydroxypropionic acid from glycerol by recombinant Klebsiella pneumoniae, Process Biochemistry, 47 (7) 1135-1143.
- Kumar V, Sankaranarayanan M, Jae KE, Durgapal M, Ashok S, Ko Y, Sarkar R & Park S (2012) Co-production of 3- hydroxypropionic acid and 1,3-propanediol from glycerol using resting cells of Klebsiella pneumoniae J2B strain with overexpression of KGSADH, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 96 (2) 373-383.
- Fontanille P, Kumar V, Christophe G, Nouaille R & Larroche C (2012) Biovalorization of volatile fatty acids into microbial lipids by oleaginous yeast Yarrowia lipolytica, Bioresource Technology, 114 443-449.
- Kumar V, Rajauria G, Sahai V & Bisaria VS (2012) Culture filtrate of root endophytic fungus Piriformospora indica promotes the growth and lignan production of Linum album hairy root cultures, Process Biochemistry, 47 (6) 901-907.
- Kumar V, Sarma MVRK, Saharan K, Srivastava R, Kumar L, Sahai V, Bisaria VS & Sharma AK (2012) Effect of formulated root endophytic fungus Piriformospora indica and plant growth promoting rhizobacteria fluorescent pseudomonads R62 and R81 on Vigna mungo, World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 28 (2) 595-603.
- Christophe G, Deo JL, Kumar V, Nouaille R, Fontanille P & Larroche C (2012) Production of oils from acetic acid by the oleaginous yeast Cryptococcus curvatus, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 167 (5) 1270-1279.
- Kumar V (2012) Production of amylase and chlamydospores by Piriformospora indica, a root endophytic fungus, Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, 1 (1) 124-128.
- Christophe G, Kumar V, Nouaille R, Gaudet G, Fontanille P, Pandey A, Soccol CR & Larroche C (2012) Recent developments in microbial oils production: a possible alternative to vegetable oils for biodiesel without competition with human food, Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, 55 (1) 29-46.
- Sarma MVRK, Kumar V, Saharan K, Srivastava R, Sharma AK, Prakash A, Sahai V & Bisaria VS (2011) Application of inorganic carrier-based formulations of fluorescent pseudomonads and Piriformospora indica on tomato plants and evaluation of their efficacy, Journal of Applied Microbiology, 111 (2) 456-466.
- Kumar V, Sahai V & Bisaria VS (2011) High-density spore production of Piriformospora indica, a plant growth-promoting endophyte, by optimization of nutritional and cultural parameters, Bioresource Technology, 102 (3) 3169-3175.
- Arasu MV, Kumar V, Ashok S, Song H, Rathnasingh C, Lee HJ, Seung D & Park S (2011) Isolation and characterization of the new Klebsiella pneumoniae J2B strain showing improved growth characteristics with reduced lipopolysaccharide formation, Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, 16 (6) 1134-1143.
- Farkya S, Baldi A, Kumar V, Datta V, Mehra R, Gupta N, Jain A, Srivastava AK & Bisaria VS (2010) Impact of symbiotic fungi on production of secondary metabolites by plant cell culture, Asia-Pacific Journal of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, 18 (1) 51-53.
- Farkya S, Rajouria G, Kumar V & Bisaria VS (0) High podophyllotoxin producing hairy root line of Linum Album: Influence of carbohydrates, temperature and photoperiod, Current Biotechnology, 2 (2) 134-143. Dataset/s: 10.2174/22103031113039990008
- Kumar V (2012) Novel electrochemical bioreactor array for the regulation and regeneration of NAD+ using genetically engineered Klebsiella pneumoniae. In: 15th International Biotechnology Symposium and Exhibition, Daegu, 16 September 2012.
- Kumar V, Christophe G, Fontanille P, Nouaille R & Larroche C (2011) Production of microbial lipids from volatile fatty acids using yeasts. In: Récents Progrès en Génie des Procédés, Paris, 1 January 2011.
- Kumar V & Sahai V (2009) Piriformospora indica—A versatile arbuscular micorrhizae-like fungus for enhanced production of plant metabolites and crop yield. In: Asia Pacific Biochemical Engineers Conference, Kobe, 24 November 2009.
- Bisaria VS, Baldi A, Kumar V, Gupta N, Jain A, Farkya S & Srivastava AK (2008) Interaction of phytopromotional fungi and plant cells on synthesis of plant-derived metabolites. In: 13th International Biotechnology Symposium and Exhibition, Dalian, 12 November 2008 - 17 January 2017.
- Kumar V, Ashok S & Park S (2014) Microbial Production of 3-Hydroxypropionic Acid from Renewable Sources: A Green Approach as an Alternative to Conventional Chemistry. In: Bioprocessing of Renewable Resources to Commodity Bioproducts. Bisaria VS, Kondo A (ed.), Hoboken, NJ, USA: John Wiley & Sons,, p. 381-407. Dataset/s: 10.1002/9781118845394.ch14
- Kumar V, Sahai V & Bisaria VS (2013) Effect of Piriformospora indica on enhanced biosynthesis of anticancer drug, podophyllotoxin, in plant cell cultures of Linum album. In: Piriformospora indica: Sebacinales and Their Biotechnological Applications. Varma A, Kost G, Oelmüller R (ed.), Berlin: Springer, p. 119-137.