Contact Dr Vinod Kumar
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754786
- Email: Vinod.Kumar@cranfield.ac.uk
- Google Scholar
Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Energy and the Environment
- Renewable Energy
- Waste Management and Resource Efficiency
Before joining Cranfield University, Dr Vinod Kumar was a Marie Curie International Incoming Fellow working at the EPSRC/BBSRC Synthetic Biology Research Centre (SBRC) at University of Nottingham, UK. Prior to this, he worked as Post-Doctoral Fellow in France, South Korea and the United Kingdom. His primary skills spans across multidisciplinary research domains such as Biochemical Engineering, Microbial Fermentations, Industrial Biotechnology, Metabolic Engineering and Synthetic Biology. He has worked on different biological systems; fungal, yeast and bacterial. He is a seasoned researcher whose expertise lies in the development of low cost, energy efficient and sustainable bioprocesses for production of biofertilizers, biopesticides, biofuels and biochemicals.
Dr Kumar qualified Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP) in October 2020 and is a Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA). He earned his M.Sc. (Chemistry) and PhD (Biochemical Engineering & Biotechnology) degree from Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Delhi), which is among the top five engineering institutes in India. He graduated in B.Sc (Hons) Chemistry from Hindu College, University of Delhi, India and was ranked first. Dr Kumar has qualified national as well as international level competition with top ranks. He qualified Marie Curie Fellowship with an overall score of 97.1/100. He qualified Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) examination in Chemistry (All India rank 4th with 99.77 percentile in GATE 2002) as well as Life Sciences (All India rank 1st with 99.99 percentile in GATE 2005). He also qualified joint CSIR-UGC (India) examination three times and two times secured position among top 20% awardees.
We have openings for self-funded PhD and M.Sc. by Research students in areas of Microbial Biotechnology and Circular Biorefining including Fermentation Technology, Metabolic Engineering, Waste Valorisation, Downstream Processing and Sustainability Assessment.
Oil is central to global manufacturing and theoretically, it is possible to replace all of the fossil carbon used in global manufacturing with renewable bio-derived products made from waste non-edible carbonaceous biomass. This transition to low carbon biomanufacturing provides a massive opportunity nationally as well as globally and will drive progress towards a carbon-neutral society. Significant advancements have been made in the fields of low carbon/renewable heat and power, while the fuels, chemicals and polymer sector remain largely dependent on petroleum even today, indicating a significant opportunity exists to develop this area through targeted research and innovation. The integration of non-edible carbon-based renewable feedstocks with a circular biorefining approach is gradually raising attention as this green approach will provide new technologies for bio-waste utilisation and developing future biorefinery systems.
Microbes are amazing microscopic living entities that display diverse metabolic pattern so as to survive in different environments. As a result, they have immense potential to synthesise and accumulate wide range of molecules, therefore, can serve as cell factories for the efficient production of the chemicals essential for a modern industrial society. His current research activities are at nexus of Metabolic/Pathway Engineering, Bioprocessing and Waste Valorisation. The work leads to development of new intensified technologies for production of high value products from agro-industrial waste streams rich in renewable carbon using microbes as cell factories. The designing of cleaner synthetic routes and processes makes the production of a range of chemicals possible in a way that maximises efficiency and minimises waste through a circular economy approach. Presently, his research team is engaged in production of various bio-based products like xylitol, 2,3-butanediol, Itaconic, lactic and succinic acid, at high titres from waste streams like sugarcane bagasse, brewer's spent grains, crude glycerol, unconsumed food, bread & bakery waste etc using preferably GRAS (generally regarded as safe) microbes. His research group also design robust strains using synthetic biology, metabolic and evolutionary engineering approaches. The microbial systems are engineered not only for overproducing the desired product but also exhibiting greater tolerance against high substrate levels, end-product toxicity and inhibitors present in the waste streams. Recently, he has also stepped into new areas of downstream processing and sustainability assessment.
On Teaching side, Dr Kumar
is leading two modules, Biofuels and Biorefining and Bioprocess Engineering for
M.Sc. Advanced Chemical Engineering course. He is TDN (Thematic Doctoral
Network) Lead for Energy & Power. He also holds a Visiting
Faculty position in the Department of Chemical Engineering at the Indian
Institute of Technology, Delhi, India. In addition, Dr Kumar serve as Associate
Editor for various prestigious Journals: 3Biotech; Microbial Cell Factories; Frontier in Bioengineering and
Biotechnology, Food and Bioproducts Bioprocessing.
Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
Articles In Journals
- Agrawal D, Gopaliya D, Willoughby N, Khare SK & Kumar V (2023) Recycling potential of brewer's spent grains for circular biorefineries, Current Opinion in Green and Sustainable Chemistry, 40 (April) Article No. 100748.
- Agrawal D, Gopaliya D, Willoughby N, Khare SK & Kumar V (2023) Recycling potential of brewer’s spent grains for circular biorefineries, Current Opinion in Green and Sustainable Chemistry, 40 (April) Article No. 100748.
- Agrawal D & Kumar V (2023) Recent progress on sugarcane-bagasse based lactic acid production: technical advancements, potential and limitations, Industrial Crops and Products, 193 (March) Article No. 116132.
- Kumar V, Brancoli P, Narisetty V, Wallace S, Charalampopoulos D, Dubey BK, Kumar G, Bhatnagar A, Bhatia SK & Taherzadeh MJ (2023) Bread waste – a potential feedstock for sustainable circular biorefineries, Bioresource Technology, 369 (February) Article No. 128449.
- Workie E, Kumar V, Bhatnagar A, He Y, Dai Y, Tong YW, Peng Y, Zhang J & Fu C (2023) Advancing the bioconversion process of food waste into methane: A systematic review, Waste Management, 156 (February) 187-197.
- Dharmaraja J, Shobana S, Arvindnarayan S, Francis RR, Jeyakumar RB, Saratale RG, Veeramuthu AK, Bhatia SK, Kumar V & Kumar G (2023) Lignocellulosic biomass conversion via greener pretreatment methods towards biorefinery applications, Bioresource Technology, 369 (February) Article No. 128328.
- Wicker RJ, Kwon E, Khan E, Kumar V & Bhatnagar A (2023) The potential of mixed-species biofilms to address remaining challenges for economically-feasible microalgal biorefineries: a review, Chemical Engineering Journal, 451, Part 1 (January) Article No. 138481.
- Zhang J, Chen J, Ma R, Kumar V, Tong YW, He Y & Mao F (2022) Mesophilic and thermophilic anaerobic digestion of animal manure: Integrated insights from biogas productivity, microbial viability and enzymatic activity, Fuel, 320 (July) Article No. 123990.
- Singh NK, Yadav M, Singh V, Padhiyar H, Kumar V, Bhatia SK & Show PL (2022) Artificial intelligence and machine learning-based monitoring and design of biological wastewater treatment systems, Bioresource Technology, 369 (February) Article No. 128486.
- Chandel N, Ahuja V, Gurav R, Kumar V, Tyagi VK, Pugazendhi A, Kumar G, Kumar D, Yang YH & Bhatia SK (2022) Progress in microalgal mediated bioremediation systems for the removal of antibiotics and pharmaceuticals from wastewater, Science of the Total Environment, 825 (June) Article No. 153895.
- Sharma J, Kumar V, Prasad R & Gaur NA (2022) Engineering of Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a consolidated bioprocessing host to produce cellulosic ethanol: recent advancements and current challenges, Biotechnology Advances, 56 (May-June) Article No. 107925.
- Banu JR, Preethi, Gunasekaran M, Kumar V, Bhatia SK & Kumar G (2022) Enhanced biohydrogen generation through calcium peroxide engendered efficient ultrasonic disintegration of waste activated sludge in low temperature environment, Bioresource Technology, 365 (December) Article No. 128164.
- Lay CH, Dharmaraja J, Shobana S, Arvindnarayan S, Priya RK, Jeyakumar RB, Saratlae RG, Park YK, Kumar V & Kumar G (2022) Lignocellulose biohydrogen towards net zero emission: a review on recent developments, Bioresource Technology, 364 (November) Article No. 128084.
- Awasthi MK, Yan B, Sar T, Gómez-García R, Ren L, Sharma P, Binod P, Sindhu R, Kumar V, Kumar D, Mohamed BA, Zhang Z & Taherzadeh MJ (2022) Organic waste recycling for carbon smart circular bioeconomy and sustainable development: a review, Bioresource Technology, 360 (September) Article No. 127620.
- Awasthi MK, Harirchi S, Sar T, VS Vigneswaran, Rajendran K, Gómez-García R, Hellwig C, Binod P, Sindhu R, Madhavan A, Kumar AA, Kumar V, Kumar D, Zhang Z & Taherzadeh MJ (2022) Myco-biorefinery approaches for food waste valorization: present status and future prospects, Bioresource Technology, 360 (September) Article No. 127592.
- Shaji A, Shastri Y, Kumar V, Ranade VV & Hindle N (2022) Sugarcane bagasse valorization to xylitol: techno-economic and life cycle assessment, Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining, 16 (5) 1214-1226.
- Hawi S, Goel S, Kumar V, Pearce O, Nishio Ayre W & Ivanova EP (2022) Critical review of nanopillar-based mechanobactericidal systems, ACS Applied Nano Materials, 5 (1) 1-17.
- Awasthi MK, Kumar V, Yadav V, Sarsaiya S, Awasthi SK, Sindhu R, Binod P, Kumar V, Pandey A & Zhang Z (2022) Current state of the art biotechnological strategies for conversion of watermelon wastes residues to biopolymers production: a review, Chemosphere, 290 (March) Article No. 133310.
- Devi N, Singh S, Manickam S, Cruz-Martins N, Kumar V, Verma R & Kumar D (2022) Itaconic acid and its applications for textile, pharma and agro-industrial purposes, Sustainability, 14 (21) Article No. 13777.
- Umai RD, Jacob S & Kumar V (2022) Deep eutectic solvent pretreatment of water hyacinth for improved holocellulosic saccharification and fermentative co-production of xylitol and lipids using Rhodosporidium toruloides NCIM 3547, Fermentation, 8 (11) Article No. 591.
- Reshmy R, Philip E, Madhavan A, Sirohi R, Pugazhendhi A, Binod P, Awasthi MK, Vivek N, Kumar V & Sindhu R (2022) Lignocellulose in future biorefineries: strategies for cost-effective production of biomaterials and bioenergy, Bioresource Technology, 344, Part B (January) Article No. 126241.
- Alankar SS, Sajesh N, Rastogi S, Sakhuja S, Rajeswari G, Kumar V, Chandel AK & Jacob S (2022) Bioprocessing of fermentable sugars derived from water hyacinth into microbial lipids and single cell proteins by oleaginous yeast Rhodosporidium toruloides NCIM 3547, Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery, Available online 9 October 2021.
- Thakur S, Verma A, Kumar V, Yang XJ, Krishnamurthy S, Coulon F & Thakur VK (2022) Cellulosic biomass-based sustainable hydrogels for wastewater remediation: Chemistry and prospective, Fuel, 309 (February) Article No. 122114.
- Amani S, Khademvatan S, Mohebodini M, Jafari M & Kumar V (2022) Ficus carica hairy roots: In vitro anti-leishmanial activity against Leishmania major promastigotes and amastigotes, Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, 15 (5) 220-229.
- Wicker RJ, Autio H, Daneshvar E, Sarkar B, Bolan N, Kumar V & Bhatnagar A (2022) The effects of light regime on carbon cycling, nutrient removal, biomass yield, and polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB) production by a constructed photosynthetic consortium, Bioresource Technology, 363 (November) Article No. 127912.
- Narisetty V, Adlakha N, Singh NK, Dalei S, Prabhu AA, Nagarajan S, Kumar AN, Nagoth JA, Kumar G, Singh V & Kumar V (2022) Integrated biorefineries for repurposing of food wastes into value-added products, Bioresource Technology, 363 (November) Article No. 127856.
- Baral P, Kumar V & Agrawal D (2022) Emerging trends in high-solids enzymatic saccharification of lignocellulosic feedstocks for developing an efficient and industrially deployable sugar platform, Critical Reviews in Biotechnology, 42 (6) 873-891.
- Narisetty V, Prabhu AA, Bommareddy RR, Cox R, Agrawal D, Misra A, Haider MA, Bhatnagar A, Pandey A & Kumar V (2022) Development of hypertolerant strain of Yarrowia lipolytica accumulating succinic acid using high levels of acetate, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 10 (33) 10858-10869.
- Baral P, Jana A, Kumar V & Agrawal D (2022) Comparative assessment of sugarcane bagacillo and bagasse at lab-scale for production of sugars and green chemicals via biochemical platform, Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery, Available online 08 June 2022.
- Narisetty V, Okibe MC, Amulya K, Jokodola EO, Coulon F, Tyagi VK, Lens PN, Parameswaran B & Kumar V (2022) Technological advancements in valorization of second generation (2G) feedstocks for bio-based succinic acid production, Bioresource Technology, 360 (September) Article No. 127513.
- Bhatia SK, Ahuja V, Chandel N, Gurav R, Bhatia RK, Govarthanan M, Tyagi VK, Kumar V, Pugazendhi A, Banu JR & Yang YH (2022) Advances in algal biomass pretreatment and its valorisation into biochemical and bioenergy by the microbial processes, Bioresource Technology, 358 (August) Article No. 127437.
- Balasundaram G, Vidyarthi PK, Gahlot P, Arora P, Kumar V, Kumar M, Kazmi AA & Tyagi VK (2022) Energy feasibility and life cycle assessment of sludge pretreatment methods for advanced anaerobic digestion, Bioresource Technology, 357 (August) Article No. 127345.
- Narisetty V, Narisetty S, Jacob S, Kumar D, Leeke GA, Chandel AK, Singh V, Srivastava VC & Kumar V (2022) Biological production and recovery of 2,3-butanediol using arabinose from sugar beet pulp by Enterobacter ludwigii, Renewable Energy, 191 (May) 394-404.
- Hans S, Kumar N, Gohil N, Khambhati K, Bhattacharjee G, Deb SS, Maurya R, Kumar V, Reshamwala S & Singh V (2022) Rebooting life: engineering non-natural nucleic acids, proteins and metabolites in microorganisms, Microbial Cell Factories, 21 (1) Article No. 100.
- Narisetty V, Nagarajan S, Gadkari S, Ranade VV, Zhang J, Patchigolla K, Bhatnagar A, Awasthi MK, Pandey A & Kumar V (2022) Process optimization for recycling of bread waste into bioethanol and biomethane: a circular economy approach, Energy Conversion and Management, 266 (August) Article No. 115784.
- Narisetty V, Zhang L, Zhang J, Lin CS, Tong YW, Show PL, Bhatia SK, Misra A & Kumar V (2022) Fermentative production of 2,3-Butanediol using bread waste – A green approach for sustainable management of food waste, Bioresource Technology, 358 (August) Article No. 127381.
- Singh GP, Bangar SP, Yang T, Trif M, Kumar V & Kumar D (2022) Effect on the properties of edible starch-based films by the incorporation of additives: a review, Polymers, 14 (10) Article No. 1987.
- Ucm R, Aem M, Lhb Z, Kumar V, Taherzadeh MJ, Garlapati VK & Chandel AK (2022) Comprehensive review on biotechnological production of hyaluronic acid: status, innovation, market and applications, Bioengineered, 13 (4) 9645-9661.
- Umai D, Kayalvizhi R, Kumar V & Jacob S (2022) Xylitol: bioproduction and applications - a review, Frontiers in Sustainability, 3 Article No. 826190.
- Awasthi MK, Paul A, Kumar V, Sar T, Kumar D, Sarsaiya S, Liu H, Zhang Z, Binod P, Sindhu R, Kumar V & Taherzadeh MJ (2022) Recent trends and developments on integrated biochemical conversion process for valorization of dairy waste to value added bioproducts: A Review, Bioresource Technology, 344, Part A, Article No. 126193.
- Amraoui Y, Prabhu AA, Vivek N, Coulon F, Chandel AK, Willoughby N, Jacob S, Koutinas A & Kumar V (2022) Enhanced 2,3-Butanediol production by mutant Enterobacter ludwigii using Brewers’ spent grain hydrolysate: process optimization for a pragmatic biorefinery loom, Chemical Engineering Journal, 427 (January) Article No. 130851.
- Mailaram S, Narisetty V, Ranade VV, Kumar V & Maity SK (2022) Techno-economic analysis for the production of 2,3-butanediol from brewers’ spent grain using pinch technology, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 61 (5) 2195-2205.
- Narisetty V, Parhi P, Mohan B, Hazeena SH, Kumar AN, Gullón B, Srivastava A, Nair LM, Alphy MP, Sindhu R, Kumar V, Castro E, Awasthi MK & Binod P (2022) Valorization of renewable resources to functional oligosaccharides: Recent trends and future prospective, Bioresource Technology, 346 (February) Article No. 126590.
- Koolivand A, Abtahi H, Parhamfar M, Saeedi R, Coulon F, Kumar V, Villaseñor J, Sartaj M, Najarian N, Shahsavari M, Seyedmoradi P, Rahimi L & Bagheri F (2022) The effect of petroleum hydrocarbons concentration on competition between oil-degrading bacteria and indigenous compost microorganism in petroleum sludge bioremediation, Environmental Technology and Innovation, 26 (May) Article No. 102319.
- Koolivand A, Abtahi H, Parhamfar M, Saeedi R, Coulon F, Kumar V, Villaseñor J, Sartaj M, Najarian N, Shahsavari M, Seyedmoradi P, Rahimi L & Bagheri F (2022) The effect of petroleum hydrocarbons concentration on competition between oil-degrading bacteria and indigenous compost microorganisms in petroleum sludge bioremediation, Environmental Technology and Innovation, 26 (May) Article No. 102319.
- Cox R, Narisetty V, Nagarajan S, Agrawald D, Ranade VV, Salonitis K, Venus J & Kumar V (2022) High-level fermentative production of lactic acid from bread waste under non-sterile conditions with a circular biorefining approach and zero waste discharge, Fuel, 313 (April) Article No. 122976. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.18133832.v1
- Narisetty V, Cox R, Bommareddy RR, Agrawal D, Ahmad E, Pant KK, Chandel AK, Bhatia SK, Kumar D, Parameswaran B, Gupta VK & Kumar V (2022) Valorisation of xylose to renewable fuels and chemicals, an essential step in augmenting the commercial viability of lignocellulosic biorefineries, Sustainable Energy and Fuels, 6 (1) 29-65.
- Jokodola EO, Narisetty V, Castro E, Durgapal S, Coulon F, Sindhu R, Binod P, Banu JR, Kumar G & Kumar V (2022) Process optimisation for production and recovery of succinic acid using xylose-rich hydrolysates by Actinobacillus succinogenes, Bioresource Technology, 344, Part B (January) Article No. 126224.
- Banu JR, Ginni G, Kavitha S, Kannah RY, Kumar V, Kumar SA, Gunasekaran M, Tyagi VK & Kumar G (2021) Polyhydroxyalkanoates synthesis using acidogenic fermentative effluents, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 193, Part B (December) 2079-2092.
- Shaji A, Shastri Y, Kumar V, Ranade VV & Hindle N (2021) Economic and environmental assessment of succinic acid production from sugarcane bagasse, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 9 (38) 12738-12746.
- Gopaliya D, Kumar V & Khare SK (2021) Recent advances in itaconic acid production from microbial cell factories, Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, 36 (September) Article No. 102130.
- Amraoui Y, Narisetty V, Coulon F, Agrawal D, Chandel AK, Maina S, Koutinas A & Kumar V (2021) Integrated fermentative production and downstream processing of 2,3-butanediol from sugarcane bagasse-derived xylose by mutant strain of Enterobacter ludwigii, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 9 (30) 10381-10391.
- Paritosh K, Kumar V, Pareek N, Sahoo D, Bajon Fernandez Y, Coulon F, Radu T, Kesharwani N & Vivekanand V (2021) Solid state anaerobic digestion of water poor feedstock for methane yield: an overview of process characteristics and challenges, Waste Disposal and Sustainable Energy, 3 (3) 227-245.
- Narisetty V, Amraoui Y, Abdullah A, Ahmad E, Agrawal D, Parameswaran B, Pandey A, Goel S & Kumar V (2021) High yield recovery of 2,3-butanediol from fermented broth accumulated on xylose rich sugarcane bagasse hydrolysate using aqueous two-phase extraction system, Bioresource Technology, 337 (October) Article No. 125463.
- Narisetty V, Prabhu AA, Al-Jaradah K, Gopaliya D, Hossain AH, Khare SK, Punt PJ & Kumar V (2021) Microbial itaconic acid production from starchy food waste by newly isolated thermotolerant Aspergillus terreus strain, Bioresource Technology, 337 (October) Article No. 125426.
- Saini AK, Radu T, Paritosh K, Kumar V, Pareek N, Tripathi D & Vivekanand V (2021) Bioengineered bioreactors: a review on enhancing biomethane and biohydrogen production by CFD modeling, Bioengineered, 12 (1) 6418-6433.
- Baral P, Munagala M, Shastri Y, Kumar V & Agrawal D (2021) Cost reduction approaches for fermentable sugar production from sugarcane bagasse and its impact on techno-economics and the environment, Cellulose, 28 (10) 6305-6322.
- Baral P, Pundi A, Kumar A, Singh R, Kumar V & Agrawal D (2021) Salting-out assisted solvent extraction of L (+) lactic acid obtained after fermentation of sugarcane bagasse hydrolysate, Separation and Purification Technology, 269 (August) Article No. 118788.
- Amani S, Mohebodini M, Khademvatan S, Jafari M & Kumar V (2021) Piriformospora indica based elicitation for overproduction of phenolic compounds by hairy root cultures of Ficus carica, Journal of Biotechnology, 327 (February) 43-53.
- Anae J, Ahmad N, Kumar V, Thakur VK, Gutierrez T, Yang XJ, Cai C, Yang Z & Coulon F (2021) Recent advances in biochar engineering for soil contaminated with complex chemical mixtures: remediation strategies and future perspectives, Science of the Total Environment, 767 (May) Article No. 144351.
- Bhatia SK, Vivek N, Kumar V, Chandel N, Thakur M, Kumar D, Yang YH, Pugazendhi A & Kumar G (2021) Molecular biology interventions for activity improvement and production of industrial enzymes, Bioresource Technology, 324 (March) Article No. 124596.
- Vivek N, Hazeena SH, Alphy MP, Kumar V, Magdouli S, Sindhu R, Pandey A & Binod P (2021) Recent advances in microbial biosynthesis of C3 – C5 diols: Genetics and process engineering approaches., Bioresource Technology, 322 (February) Article No. 124527.
- Subramanian K, Sarkar MK, Wang H, Qin ZH, Chopra SS, Jin M, Kumar V, Chao Chen C, Tsang CW & Lin CSK (2021) An overview of cotton and polyester, and their blended waste textile valorisation to value-added products: A circular economy approach – research trends, opportunities and challenges, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, Available online 28 August 2021.
- Narisetty V, Castro E, Durgapal S, Coulon F, Jacob S, Kumar D, Awasthi MK, Pant KK, Parameswaran B & Kumar V (2021) High level xylitol production by Pichia fermentans using non-detoxified xylose-rich sugarcane bagasse and olive pits hydrolysates, Bioresource Technology, 342 (December) Article No. 126005.
- Konde KS, Nagarajan S, Kumar V, Patil SV & Ranade VV (2021) Sugarcane bagasse based biorefineries in India: potential and challenges, Sustainable Energy and Fuels, 5 (1) 52-78.
- Narisetty V, Cox R, Willoughby N, Aktas E, Tiwarie B, Matharu AS, Salonitis K & Kumar V (2021) Recycling bread waste into chemical building blocks using a circular biorefining approach, Sustainable Energy and Fuels, 5 (19) 4842-4849.
- Maina S, Prabhu AA, Vivek N, Vlysidis A, Koutinas A & Kumar V (2021) Prospects on bio-based 2,3-butanediol and acetoin production: Recent progress and advances, Biotechnology Advances, Available online 29 June 2021, Article No. 107783.
- Ascencio JJ, Philippini RR, Gomes FM, Pereira FM, da Silva SS, Kumar V & Chandel AK (2021) Comparative highly efficient production of β-glucan by Lasiodiplodia theobromae CCT 3966 and its multiscale characterization, Fermentation, 7 (3) Article No. 108.
- Rajeswari G, Jacob S, Chandel AK & Kumar (2021) Unlocking the potential of insect and ruminant host symbionts for recycling of lignocellulosic carbon with a biorefinery approach: a review, Microbial Cell Factories, 20 (1) Article No. 107.
- Bhatia SK, Otari SV, Jeon JM, Gurav R, Choi YK, Bhatia RK, Pugazhendhi A, Kumar V, Banu JR, Yoon JJ, Choi KY & Yang YH (2021) Biowaste-to-bioplastic (polyhydroxyalkanoates): Conversion technologies, strategies, challenges, and perspective, Bioresource Technology, 326 (April) Article No. 124733.
- Kim Y, Lama S, Agawal D, Kumar V & Park S (2021) Acetate as a potential feedstock for the production of value-added chemicals: Metabolism and applications, Biotechnology Advances, 49 (July-August) Article No. 107736.
- Gadkari S, Kumar D, Qin ZH, Lin CS & Kumar V (2021) Life cycle analysis of fermentative production of succinic acid from bread waste, Waste Management, 126 (May) 861-71-871.
- Kaur AP, Bhardwaj S, Dhanjal DS, Nepovimova E, Cruz-Martins N, Kuča K, Chopra C, Singh R, Kumar H, Șen F, Kumar V, Verma R & Kumar D (2021) Plant prebiotics and their role in the amelioration of diseases, Biomolecules, 11 (3) Article No. 440.
- Abtahi H, Parhamfar M, Saeedi R, Villaseñor J, Sartaj M, Kumar V, Coulon F, Parhamfar M, Didehdar M, Seifi H & Koolivand A (2020) Effect of competition between petroleum-degrading bacteria and indigenous compost microorganisms on the efficiency of petroleum sludge bioremediation: field application of mineral-based culture in the composting process, Journal of Environmental Management, 258 (March) Article No. 110013.
- Goel S, Knaggs M, Goel G, Zhou XW, Upadhyaya HM, Thakur VK, Kumar V, Bizarri G, Tiwari A, Murphy A, Stukowski A & Matthews A (2020) Horizons of modern molecular dynamics simulation in digitalized solid freeform fabrication with advanced materials, Materials Today Chemistry, 18 (December) Article No. 100356.
- Baral P, Pundir A, Kumar V, Kurmi AK & Agrawal D (2020) Expeditious production of concentrated glucose-rich hydrolysate from sugarcane bagasse and its fermentation to lactic acid with high productivity, Food and Bioproducts Processing, 124 (November) 72-81.
- Koolivand A, Saeedi R, Coulon F, Kumar V, Sartaj M, Villaseñor J, Asghari F & Hesampoor F (2020) Bioremediation of petroleum hydrocarbons by vermicomposting process bioaugmentated with indigenous bacterial consortium isolated from petroleum oily sludge, Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 198 (July) Article No. 110645.
- Dhalaria R, Verma R, Kumar D, Puri S, Tapwal A, Kumar V, Nepovimova E & Kuca K (2020) Bioactive compounds of edible fruits with their anti-aging properties: a comprehensive review to prolong human life, Antioxidants, 9 (11) Article No. 1123.
- Kumar H, Bhardwaj K, Dhanjal DS, Nepovimova E, Șen F, Regassa H, Singh R, Verma R, Kumar V, Kumar D, Bhatia SK & Kuča K (2020) Fruit extract mediated green synthesis of metallic nanoparticles: a new avenue in pomology applications, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 21 (22) Article No. 8458.
- Kumar H, Chen BH, Kuca K, Nepovimova E, Kaushal A, Nagraik R, Bhatia SK, Dhanjal DS, Kumar V, Kumar A, Upadhyay NK, Verma R & Kumar D (2020) Understanding of colistin usage in food animals and available detection techniques: a review, Animals, 10 (10) Article No. 1892.
- Parhamfar M, Abtahi H, Godini K, Saeedi R, Sartaj M, Villaseñor J, Coulon F, Kumar V, Soltanighias T, Ghaznavi-Rad E & Koolivand A (2020) Biodegradation of heavy oily sludge by a two-step inoculation composting process using synergistic effect of indigenous isolated bacteria, Process Biochemistry, 91 (April) 223-230.
- Prabhu AA, Bosakornranut E, Amraoui Y, Agrawal D, Coulon F, Vivekanand V, Thakur VK & Kumar V (2020) Enhanced xylitol production using non-detoxified xylose rich pre-hydrolysate from sugarcane bagasse by newly isolated Pichia fermentans, Biotechnology for Biofuels, 13 (1) Article No. 209.
- Lugani Y, Rai R, Prabhu AA, Maan P, Hans M, Kumar V, Kumar S, Chandel AK & Sengar RS (2020) Recent advances in bioethanol production from lignocelluloses: a comprehensive review with a focus on enzyme engineering and designer biocatalysts, Biofuel Research Journal, 7 (4) 1267-1295.
- Baral P, Jain L, Kurmi AK, Kumar V & Agrawal D (2020) Augmented hydrolysis of acid pretreated sugarcane bagasse by PEG 6000 addition: a case study of Cellic CTec2 with recycling and reuse, Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, 43 (3) 473-482.
- Prabhu AA, Ledesma-Amaro R, Lin CSK, Coulon F, Kumar Thakur V & Kumar V (2020) Bioproduction of succinic acid from xylose by engineered yarrowia lipolytica without pH control, Biotechnology for Biofuels, 13 (1) Article No. 113.
- Kumar H, Bhardwaj K, Kaur T, Nepovimova E, Kuča K, Kumar V, Bhatia SK, Dhanjal DS, Chopra C, Singh R, Guleria S, Bhalla TC, Verma R & Kumar D (2020) Detection of bacterial pathogens and antibiotic residues in chicken meat: a review, Foods, 9 (10) Article No. 1504.
- Prabhu AA, Thomas DJ, Ledesma-Amaro R, Leeke GA, Medina A, Verheecke-Vaessen C, Coulon F, Agrawal D & Kumar V (2020) Biovalorisation of crude glycerol and xylose into xylitol by oleaginous yeast Yarrowia lipolytica, Microbial Cell Factories, 19 (1) Article No. 121.
- Thakur S, Chaudhary J, Kumar V & Thakur VK (2019) Progress in pectin based hydrogels for water purification: trends and challenges, Journal of Environmental Management, 238 (May) 210-223.
- Longhurst P & Kumar V (2018) Recycling of food waste into chemical building blocks, Current Opinion in Green and Sustainable Chemistry, 13 (October) 118-122.
- Kumar V & Park S (2017) Potential and limitations of Klebsiella pneumoniae as a microbial cell factory utilizing glycerol as the carbon source, Biotechnology Advances, 36 (January-Febuary) 150-167.
- Kumar V, Durgapal M, Sankaranarayanan M, Somasundar A, Rathnasingh C, Song H, Seung D & Park S (2016) Effects of mutation of 2,3-butanediol formation pathway on glycerol metabolism and 1,3-propanediol production by Klebsiella pneumoniae J2B, Bioresource Technology, 214 (August) 432-440.
- Kumar V, Hart AJ, Keerthiraju ER, Waldron PR, Tucker GA & Greetham D (2015) Expression of mitochondrial cytochrome C oxidase chaperone gene (COX20) improves tolerance to weak acid and oxidative stress during yeast fermentation, PLoS ONE, 10 (10) Article No. e0139129.
- Kumar V, Hart AJ, Wimalasena TT, Tucker GA & Greetham D (2015) Expression of RCK2 MAPKAP (MAPK-activated protein kinase) rescues yeast cells sensitivity to osmotic stress, Microbial Cell Factories, 14 (85).
- Durgapal M, Kumar V, Yang TH, Lee HJ, Seung D & Park S (2014) Production of 1,3-propanediol from glycerol using the newly isolated Klebsiella pneumoniae J2B, Bioresource Technology, 159 (May) 223-231.
- Ashok S, Raja SM, Ko Y, Sankaranarayanan M, Zhou S, Kumar V & Park S (2013) Effect of puuC overexpression and nitrate addition on glycerol metabolism and anaerobic 3-hydroxypropionic acid production in recombinant Klebsiella pneumoniae ΔglpKΔdhaT, Metabolic Engineering, 15 10-24.
- Ashok S, Sankaranarayanan M, Ko Y, Jae KE, Ainala SK, Kumar V & Park S (2013) Production of 3-hydroxypropionic acid from glycerol by recombinant Klebsiella pneumoniae ΔdhaTΔyqhD which can produce vitamin B12 naturally, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 110 (2) 511-524.
- Kumar V, Ashok S & Park S (2013) Recent advances in biological production of 3-hydroxypropionic acid, Biotechnology Advances, 31 (6) 945-961.
- Kumar V, Sankaranarayanan M, Durgapal M, Zhou S, Ko Y, Ashok S, Sarkar R & Park S (2013) Simultaneous production of 3-hydroxypropionic acid and 1,3-propanediol from glycerol using resting cell system of D-lactic acid deficient mutant of Klebsiella pneumoniae with overexpression of KGSADH, Bioresource Technology, 135 555-563.
- Arasu MV, Sarkar R, Sekar BS, Kumar V, Rathnasingh C, Choi J, Song H, Seung D & Park S (2013) Isolation of a novel Pseudomonas species SP2 which produce vitamin B12 under aerobic condition, Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, 18 (1) 43-51.
- Ko Y, Ashok S, Zhou S, Kumar V & Park S (2012) Aldehyde dehydrogenase activity is important to the production of 3-hydroxypropionic acid from glycerol by recombinant Klebsiella pneumoniae, Process Biochemistry, 47 (7) 1135-1143.
- Kumar V, Sankaranarayanan M, Jae KE, Durgapal M, Ashok S, Ko Y, Sarkar R & Park S (2012) Co-production of 3- hydroxypropionic acid and 1,3-propanediol from glycerol using resting cells of Klebsiella pneumoniae J2B strain with overexpression of KGSADH, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 96 (2) 373-383.
- Fontanille P, Kumar V, Christophe G, Nouaille R & Larroche C (2012) Biovalorization of volatile fatty acids into microbial lipids by oleaginous yeast Yarrowia lipolytica, Bioresource Technology, 114 443-449.
- Kumar V, Rajauria G, Sahai V & Bisaria VS (2012) Culture filtrate of root endophytic fungus Piriformospora indica promotes the growth and lignan production of Linum album hairy root cultures, Process Biochemistry, 47 (6) 901-907.
- Kumar V, Sarma MVRK, Saharan K, Srivastava R, Kumar L, Sahai V, Bisaria VS & Sharma AK (2012) Effect of formulated root endophytic fungus Piriformospora indica and plant growth promoting rhizobacteria fluorescent pseudomonads R62 and R81 on Vigna mungo, World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 28 (2) 595-603.
- Christophe G, Deo JL, Kumar V, Nouaille R, Fontanille P & Larroche C (2012) Production of oils from acetic acid by the oleaginous yeast Cryptococcus curvatus, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 167 (5) 1270-1279.
- Kumar V (2012) Production of amylase and chlamydospores by Piriformospora indica, a root endophytic fungus, Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, 1 (1) 124-128.
- Christophe G, Kumar V, Nouaille R, Gaudet G, Fontanille P, Pandey A, Soccol CR & Larroche C (2012) Recent developments in microbial oils production: a possible alternative to vegetable oils for biodiesel without competition with human food, Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, 55 (1) 29-46.
- Sarma MVRK, Kumar V, Saharan K, Srivastava R, Sharma AK, Prakash A, Sahai V & Bisaria VS (2011) Application of inorganic carrier-based formulations of fluorescent pseudomonads and Piriformospora indica on tomato plants and evaluation of their efficacy, Journal of Applied Microbiology, 111 (2) 456-466.
- Kumar V, Sahai V & Bisaria VS (2011) High-density spore production of Piriformospora indica, a plant growth-promoting endophyte, by optimization of nutritional and cultural parameters, Bioresource Technology, 102 (3) 3169-3175.
- Arasu MV, Kumar V, Ashok S, Song H, Rathnasingh C, Lee HJ, Seung D & Park S (2011) Isolation and characterization of the new Klebsiella pneumoniae J2B strain showing improved growth characteristics with reduced lipopolysaccharide formation, Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, 16 (6) 1134-1143.
- Farkya S, Baldi A, Kumar V, Datta V, Mehra R, Gupta N, Jain A, Srivastava AK & Bisaria VS (2010) Impact of symbiotic fungi on production of secondary metabolites by plant cell culture, Asia-Pacific Journal of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, 18 (1) 51-53.
- Farkya S, Rajouria G, Kumar V & Bisaria VS (0) High podophyllotoxin producing hairy root line of Linum Album: Influence of carbohydrates, temperature and photoperiod, Current Biotechnology, 2 (2) 134-143. Dataset/s: 10.2174/22103031113039990008
- Kumar V (2012) Novel electrochemical bioreactor array for the regulation and regeneration of NAD+ using genetically engineered Klebsiella pneumoniae. In: 15th International Biotechnology Symposium and Exhibition, Daegu, 16 September 2012.
- Kumar V, Christophe G, Fontanille P, Nouaille R & Larroche C (2011) Production of microbial lipids from volatile fatty acids using yeasts. In: Récents Progrès en Génie des Procédés, Paris, 1 January 2011.
- Kumar V & Sahai V (2009) Piriformospora indica—A versatile arbuscular micorrhizae-like fungus for enhanced production of plant metabolites and crop yield. In: Asia Pacific Biochemical Engineers Conference, Kobe, 24 November 2009.
- Bisaria VS, Baldi A, Kumar V, Gupta N, Jain A, Farkya S & Srivastava AK (2008) Interaction of phytopromotional fungi and plant cells on synthesis of plant-derived metabolites. In: 13th International Biotechnology Symposium and Exhibition, Dalian, 12 November 2008 - 17 January 2017.
- Kumar D, Brown T, Kant Bhatia S & Kumar V (2022) Techno-economic analysis for evaluating biorefinery strategies. In: Biomass Utilization: Conversion Strategies, Springer, p. 229-245.
- Kumar V, Ashok S & Park S (2014) Microbial Production of 3-Hydroxypropionic Acid from Renewable Sources: A Green Approach as an Alternative to Conventional Chemistry. In: Bioprocessing of Renewable Resources to Commodity Bioproducts. Bisaria VS, Kondo A (ed.), Hoboken, NJ, USA: John Wiley & Sons,, p. 381-407. Dataset/s: 10.1002/9781118845394.ch14
- Kumar V, Sahai V & Bisaria VS (2013) Effect of Piriformospora indica on enhanced biosynthesis of anticancer drug, podophyllotoxin, in plant cell cultures of Linum album. In: Piriformospora indica: Sebacinales and Their Biotechnological Applications. Varma A, Kost G, Oelmüller R (ed.), Berlin: Springer, p. 119-137.