Contact Dr Venkat Sastry
Areas of expertise
- Autonomous Systems
- Operational Analysis and Simulation
Dr Venkat V S S Sastry joined Cranfield University as a post-doctoral research Fellow (1989 – 2003) where he taught extensively on postgraduate programmes involving topics from scientific computation, intelligent systems and programming languages (Fortran, C, MATLAB). During this period Venkat worked (1989 – 2003) on Knowledge Assisted Tool for Library Environment (KASTLE) as part of research team at Numerical Algorithms Ltd where he developed his interests in knowledge-based systems, scientific visualization and graphical user interfaces.
Dr Sastry worked on ASTRAEA 1 (collision detection, avoidance and resolution) and testing of these algorithms as part of a team and is the principal investigator on an ASTRAEA 2 project focusing on "Sense and Avoid" (BAESYSTEMS). Based on this work we were awarded “Winner of The Engineer, Technology + innovation awards 2008” for the best collaborative research team, BAE Systems, Cranﬁeld and Lancaster Universities for work on conﬂict avoidance and resolution algorithms for unmanned aerial vehicles.
Dr Sastry participated in a large international research effort as principal investigator on "What to do Learners within an m-Learning Environment Need?” (ONRG Grant N62909-10-1-7121) and is Co-Chair on Working Group for Testing and Evaluation, Mobile Learning Environments Project. He contributed to Testing and Evaluation of Multichannel Learning System project (2012 – 13).
Dr Sastry is Programme Director for the delivery of prestigious Chevening (India) Cyber Security Fellowship (2014 - ) and Chevening Western Balkans Cyber Security Fellowship (2019 - ).
Dr Sastry has successfully supervised four Ph.D. and three MPhil students on topics ranging from scientific computation and application of intelligent systems.
Venkat is currently:
- Programme Director for the delivery of the prestigious Chevening (India) Cyber Security Fellowship (2014 - ) and Chevening Western Balkans Cyber Security Fellowship (2019 - )
- Office Naval Research Global
- BAE SYSTEMS
- Numerical Algorithms Group
Articles In Journals
- Berry L, Rienties B, Littlejohn A & Sastry V (2020) A quasi-experimental study to explore the impact of PAR on becoming an Agile Warrior, Military Psychology, 32 (2) 198-211.
- Stringfellow ND, Smith RNL & Sastry VVSS (1999) A generic structure for scalar and vector boundary element codes using Fortran 90, Advances in Engineering Software, 30 (5) 313-325.
- Sastry VVSS (1997) Graphical user interfaces for numerical libraries, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 82 (1-2) 351-366.
- Talukdar S, Awan MA, Tremlett A, Sastry V & Purdy D (2013) Preview based vehicle steering control using neural networks. In: SAE 2013 World Congress and Exhibition, Detroit, MI, 16-18 April 2013.
- MacLean P & Sastry VVSS (2012) Assuring Quality in Flexible Delivery.. In: 19th EDiNEB (Eductional Innovation in Economics and Business) Conference, Haarlem, 2 May 2012.
- Jolliffe PM, Sastry VVSS & MacLean PJ (2011) UK Export Controls: A case-study in compliance training and education. In: 18th EDiNEB (Educational Innovation in Economics and Business) Conference, Lyons, 7 June 2011.
- Sastry VKK On e-Assessment. In: Defence Academies and Colleges 2009 International Conference. Network Centric Learning: Towards Authentic ePractices, Stellenbosch, 25 March 2009.
- Bocaniala CD & Sastry VVSS (2010) On enhanced situational awareness models for unmanned aerial systems. In: 2010 IEEE Aerospace conference, Big Sky, MT, 6-13 March 2010.
- Sastry VVSS & MacLean PJ (2009) Embedding e-Assessment into Curriculum. In: Student Mobility and ICT: Dimensions of Transition, Universiteit van Amsterdam, 16 December 2009.
- Raza M & Sastry VVSS (2008) Variability in behavior of command agents with human-like decision making strategies. In: Tenth International Conference on Computer Modeling and Simulation, 2008 (UKSIM 2008), Cambridge, 1-3 April 2008.
- Gupta A, Gupta AK, Bocaniala C & Sastry VVSS (2008) Avoidance of threat zone by UAV for automated navigation.
- Patchett C & Sastry V (2008) A preliminary model of accident causality for uninhabited autonomous air systems and its implications for their decision architectures.
- Raza M & Sastry VVSS (2007) Command agents with human-like decision making strategies. In: 19th IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, 2007 (ICTAI 2007), Patras, 29-31 October 2007.
- McNaught KR, Sastry VVSS & Ng B (2005) Investigating the use of Bayesian networks to provide decision support to military intelligence analysts.
- Sastry L, Patchett C & Bathe MR (2003) The Performance of an Intelligent Agent in a Simulated Air Combat Environment. In: Procs 12th Behaviour Rep in Modelling & Sim, 2003, 1 January 2003.
- Sastry VVSS & MacLean P (2012) Opportunities for technology-enhanced remedial maths. In: Learning at the crossroads of theory and practice : research on innovative learning practices. Van den Bossche P, Gijselaers WH, Milter RG (ed.), Dordrecht ; New York :: Springer, p. 179-198.
- Sastry VVSS, Sastry & L (1999) SAMS Teach Yourself Tcl/Tk in 24 Hours. SAMS, ed. first.