Contact Dr Venkat Sastry
Areas of expertise
Before joining Cranfield University in 1989, Venkat was a Lecturer at Plymouth Polytechnic having been appointed in 1987 following his work there as a Post Doctoral Research Fellow. At Plymouth his research included:
- scattering of acoustic waves by fluid loaded objects
- computation of special functions of complex order and complex argument
- asymptotic expansions of special functions
- computation of zeros of an analytic functions
- derivative free algorithms.
From 1981 to 1984 he was a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the Open University working on acoustic wave propagation in poro-elastic media. From 1980 to 1981 he was a research assistant at IISc, Bangalore working on helicopter dynamics including blade stability in the presence of induced flow.
Venkat was awarded his
- PhD from the Institute of Science, Bangalore, India in 1981 for his thesis Some Mixed Boundary Value Problems Arising in Diffraction Theory
- Post-graduate Diploma in Plasticity and Rheology, IIT Kharagpur in 1976
- MSc in Mathematics from IIT Madras in 1975.
Venkat is currently:
- principal investigator on the What to do Learners within an m-Learning Environment Need? project funded under Office of Naval Research Global Grant N62909-10-1-7121
- involved in the international Multichannel Learning Systems project coordinated by the Office of Naval Research Global.
- Programme Director for Chevening Cyber Security Fellowship (2013 - )
- Office Naval Research Global
- BAE SYSTEMS
- Numerical Algorithms Group
Articles In Journals
- Stringfellow ND, Smith RNL & Sastry VVSS (1999) A generic structure for scalar and vector boundary element codes using Fortran 90, Advances in Engineering Software, 30 (5) 313-325.
- Sastry VVSS (1997) Graphical user interfaces for numerical libraries, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 82 (1-2) 351-366.
- Talukdar S, Awan MA, Tremlett A, Sastry V & Purdy D (2013) Preview based vehicle steering control using neural networks. In: SAE 2013 World Congress and Exhibition, Detroit, MI, 16-18 April 2013.
- MacLean P & Sastry VVSS (2012) Assuring Quality in Flexible Delivery.. In: 19th EDiNEB (Eductional Innovation in Economics and Business) Conference, Haarlem, 2 May 2012.
- Jolliffe PM, Sastry VVSS & MacLean PJ (2011) UK Export Controls: A case-study in compliance training and education. In: 18th EDiNEB (Educational Innovation in Economics and Business) Conference, Lyons, 7 June 2011.
- Sastry VKK On e-Assessment. In: Defence Academies and Colleges 2009 International Conference. Network Centric Learning: Towards Authentic ePractices, Stellenbosch, 25 March 2009.
- Bocaniala CD & Sastry VVSS (2010) On enhanced situational awareness models for unmanned aerial systems. In: IEEE Aerospace conference 2010, Big Sky, MT, 6-13 March 2010.
- Sastry VVSS & MacLean PJ (2009) Embedding e-Assessment into Curriculum. In: Student Mobility and ICT: Dimensions of Transition, Universiteit van Amsterdam, 16 December 2009.
- Raza M & Sastry VVSS (2008) Variability in behavior of command agents with human-like decision making strategies. In: Tenth International Conference on Computer Modeling and Simulation, 2008 (UKSIM 2008), Cambridge, 1-3 April 2008.
- Gupta A, Gupta AK, Bocaniala C & Sastry VVSS (2008) Avoidance of threat zone by UAV for automated navigation.
- Patchett C & Sastry V (2008) A preliminary model of accident causality for uninhabited autonomous air systems and its implications for their decision architectures.
- Raza M & Sastry VVSS (2007) Command agents with human-like decision making strategies. In: 19th IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, 2007 (ICTAI 2007), Patras, 29-31 October 2007.
- McNaught KR, Sastry VVSS & Ng B (2005) Investigating the use of Bayesian networks to provide decision support to military intelligence analysts.
- Sastry L, Patchett C & Bathe MR (2003) The Performance of an Intelligent Agent in a Simulated Air Combat Environment. In: Procs 12th Behaviour Rep in Modelling & Sim, 2003, 1 January 2003.
- Sastry VVSS & MacLean P (2012) Opportunities for technology-enhanced remedial maths. In: Learning at the crossroads of theory and practice : research on innovative learning practices. Van den Bossche P, Gijselaers WH, Milter RG (ed.), Dordrecht ; New York :: Springer, p. 179-198.
- Sastry VVSS, Sastry & L (1999) SAMS Teach Yourself Tcl/Tk in 24 Hours. SAMS, ed. first.