Contact Dr Uyioghosa Igie
Areas of expertise
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Power Systems & Turbines
Dr Igie was awarded a BEng degree honours in Mechanical Engineering in 2007 from Brunel University (UK), which was followed by an MSc degree (Dynamics and Control) from the University of Bath (UK) in 2008.
He joined Cranfield University in 2009 to study for a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, on gas turbine compressor fouling degradation and performance enhancement approaches. The study involved experimental and numerical investigations in compressor aerodynamics and thermodynamic performance of the engine system.
Dr Igie gained his PhD in 2012 and became an academic staff in the same year. His research has remained focused on existing gas turbine performance enhancement through ancillary equipment (filtration systems, compressor and combustor water injection and compressor washing). Also, enhancements of gas turbine operational flexibility through compressed air extraction and injection in the TURBO-REFLEX project, as a Principal Investigator. His work on this has involved engine system performance modelling, high fidelity computational fluid dynamic analysis of an industrial compressor and a dry low emission combustor. On aircraft propulsion, he has led thermodynamic and aerodynamic studies on reducing the environmental impact of civil aviation through water injection, as well as methods of quantifying degradation in jet engines.
Dr Igie is the Course Director of the Power and Propulsion Gas Turbine Engineer Mastership, as well as the module leader of Gas Turbine Operations and Rotating Machines (GTORM) in the Thermal Power MSc course.
Current activitiesDr Igie’s research focuses on optimising Gas Turbine or Jet Engine Performance during operation for energy and aerospace applications. His research has covers actual engine operations involving analytical approaches, experimental testing and numerical methods (CFD) in areas of overall engine performance/health and turbomachinery aerodynamics.
Dr Igie has supervised several individual research projects - MSc & PhD. His research interests include the following:
Energy - Power Generation
- Gas Turbine Flexibility - Compressor and Combustor Analysis
- Gas Turbine Health Evaluation using Machine Generated Data
- Compressor Fouling (Degradation) Effects on Engine Performance
- Impact of Off-Line and On-Line Compressor Washing on Engine Performance
- Impact and Selection of Inlet Filtration Systems
- Modelling of Engine System
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Jet Engine Water Injection for Emission Reductions
- Compressor Fouling Effects on Jet Engine Performance
- Modelling of Engine System
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- BP, Azerbaijan
- Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, Thailand
- Mitsubishi Power, UK
- R-MC Power Recovery Ltd, UK
- Rolls Royce, UK
- Tableau Software, UK
Articles In Journals
- Szymanski A, Igie U, Abudu K & Hamilton R (2021) Aerodynamic limits of gas turbine compressor during high air offtakes for minimum load extension, Applied Thermal Engineering, 189 (May) Article No. 116697.
- Abudu K, Igie U, Roumeliotis I & Hamilton R (2021) Impact of gas turbine flexibility improvements on combined cycle gas turbine performance, Applied Thermal Engineering, 189 (May) Article No. 116703.
- Igie U, Abbondanza M, Szymański A & Nikolaidis T (2020) Impact of compressed air energy storage demands on gas turbine performance, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 235 (4) 850-865.
- Abudu K, Igie U, Minervino O & Hamilton R (2020) Gas turbine minimum environmental load extension with compressed air extraction for storage, Applied Thermal Engineering, 180 Article No. 115869. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12809402
- Abudu K, Igie U, Roumeliotis I, Szymanski A & Di Lorenzo G (2020) Aeroderivative gas turbine back-up capability with compressed air injection, Applied Thermal Engineering, 180 (November) Article No. 115844. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12813296
- Abudu K, Igie U, Minervino O & Hamilton R (2020) Gas turbine efficiency and ramp rate improvement through compressed air injection, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, Available online 15 June 2020.
- Block Novelo DA, Igie U & Nalianda D (2019) On-board compressor water injection for civil aircraft emission reductions: range performance with fuel burn analysis, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 67 (February) 449-463.
- Block Novelo DA, Igie U, Prakash V & Szymanski A (2019) Experimental investigation of gas turbine compressor water injection for NOx emission reductions, Energy, 176 (June) 235-248.
- Block Novelo DA & Igie U (2018) Aero engine compressor cooling by water injection - Part 2: Performance and emission reductions, Energy, 160 (October) 1236-1243.
- Block Novelo DA & Igie I (2018) Aero engine compressor cooling by water injection - Part 1: evaporative compressor model, Energy, 160 (October) 1224-1235.
- Block-Novelo DA & Igie U (2018) Reducing airport emissions through aircraft gas turbine water injection at take-off, Revista Internacional de Investigacion de Innovacion Tecnologica, 6 (34).
- Igie U & Sibilli T (2018) Transient thermal modelling of ball bearing using finite element method, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 140 (3) Article No. 032501, GTP-16-1232 032501-1-032501-7.
- Igie U (2017) Gas turbine compressor fouling and washing in power and aerospace propulsion, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 139 (12) Article No. GTP-17-1147 122602-1-122602-11.
- Igie U, Diez-Gonzalez P, Giraud A & Minervino O (2016) Evaluating gas turbine performance using machine-generated data: quantifying degradation and impacts of compressor washing, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 138 (12) 122601-122601-18.
- Igie U, Amoia D, Michailidis G & Minervino O (2016) Performance of inlet filtration system in relation to the uncaptured particles causing fouling in the gas turbine compressor, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 138 (1) 012601-GTP-15-1105.
- Igie U, Goiricelaya M, Nalianda D & Minervino O (2015) Aero engine compressor fouling effects for short- and long-haul missions, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 230 (7) 1312-1324.
- Agbadede R, Pilidis P, Igie UL & Allison I (2015) Experimental and theoretical investigation of the influence of liquid droplet size on effectiveness of online compressor cleaning for industrial gas turbines, Journal of the Energy Institute, 88 (4) 414-424.
- Igie U, Pilidis P, Fouflias D, Ramsden K & Laskaridis P (2014) Industrial gas turbine performance: Compressor fouling and on-line washing, Journal of Turbomachinery, 136 (10) Article No. 101001.
- Igie U & Minervino O (2014) Impact of inlet filter pressure loss on single and two-spool gas turbine engines for different control modes, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 136 (9) Article No. 091201.
- Fouflias D, Gannan A, Ramsden K, Pilidis P, Mba D, Teixeira J, Igie U & Lambart P (2010) Experimental investigation of the influence of fouling on compressor cascade characteristics and implications for gas turbine engine performance, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 224 (7) 1007-1018.
- Zawadzki N, Szymanski A, Block Novelo DA & Igie U (2020) Entropy generation and efficiency of a transonic rotor with water injection - a numerical study. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2020: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2020), London, 21-25 September 2020.
- Musa G, Igie U, Pilidis P & Sule G (2017) Economic viability of on-line compressor washing for different rated capacity. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2017: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2017), Charlotte, NC, 26-30 June 2017.
- Block Novelo DA & Igie U (2017) Case for exploring compressor water injection for airport emission reduction. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2017: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2017), Charlotte, NC, 26-30 June 2017.
- Mourouzidis C, Igie U, Pilidis P & Singh R (2015) Water injection on aircraft engines: a performance, emissions and economic study. In: ISABE 2015: 22nd International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines, Phoenix, AZ, 25-30 October 2015.
- Igie U, Pilidis P, Fouflias D, Ramsden K & Lambart P (2011) On-Line Compressor Cascade Washing for Gas Turbine Performance Investigation. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2011: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2011), Vancouver, BC, 6-10 June 2011.
- Giesecke D, Igie U, Pilidis P, RamsdenK & Lambart L Performance and techno-economic investigation of on-wing compressor wash for a short-range aero engine. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2012), Copenhagen, 11-15 June 2012.