Contact Dr Uyioghosa Igie
Areas of expertise
- Gas Turbines & Propulsion
- Power Systems & Turbines
Dr. Igie is a Lecturer in the Propulsion Engineering Centre, School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing [SATM]. He is the module leader of Gas Turbine Operations and Rotating Machines [GTORM] in the Thermal Power MSc course.
Dr. Igie obtained his Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Gas Turbine Engineering from Cranfield University in 2012. Prior to that, he obtained a Master's Degree (MSc Dynamics and Control) and Bachelor's Degree (BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering) from Bath University and Brunel University, UK, respectively.
Current activitiesDr Igie’s research focuses on optimising Gas Turbine or Jet Engine Performance during operation for energy and aerospace applications. His research has covers actual engine operations involving analytical approaches, experimental testing and numerical methods (CFD) in areas of overall engine performance/health and turbomachinery aerodynamics.
Dr Igie has supervised several individual research projects - MSc & PhD. His research interests include the following:
Energy - Power Generation
- Gas Turbine Flexibility
- Gas Turbine Health Evaluation using Machine Generated Data
- Compressor Fouling (Degradation) Effects on Engine Performance
- Impact of Off-Line and On-Line Compressor Washing on Engine Performance
- Impact and Selection of Inlet Filtration Systems
- Jet Engine Water Injection for Emission Reductions
- Compressor Fouling Effects on Jet Engine Performance
- BP, Azerbaijan
- Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, Thailand
- Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems, UK
- R-MC Power Recovery Ltd, UK
- Rolls Royce, UK
- Tableau Software, UK
Articles In Journals
- Abudu K, Igie U, Roumeliotis I, Szymanski A & Di Lorenzo G (2020) Aeroderivative gas turbine back-up capability with compressed air injection, Applied Thermal Engineering, 180 (November) Article No. 115844. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12813296
- Abudu K, Igie U, Minervino O & Hamilton R (2020) Gas turbine minimum environmental load extension with compressed air extraction for storage, Applied Thermal Engineering, Available online 14 August 2020 Article No. 115869. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.12809402
- Abudu K, Igie U, Minervino O & Hamilton R (2020) Gas turbine efficiency and ramp rate improvement through compressed air injection, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, Available online 15 June 2020.
- Igie U, Abbondanza M, Szymański A & Nikolaidis T (2020) Impact of compressed air energy storage demands on gas turbine performance, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, Available online 16 February 2020.
- Block Novelo DA, Igie U, Prakash V & Szymanski A (2019) Experimental investigation of gas turbine compressor water injection for NOx emission reductions, Energy, 176 (June) 235-248.
- Block Novelo DA, Igie U & Nalianda D (2019) On-board compressor water injection for civil aircraft emission reductions: range performance with fuel burn analysis, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 67 (February) 449-463.
- Block Novelo DA & Igie U (2018) Aero engine compressor cooling by water injection - Part 2: Performance and emission reductions, Energy, 160 (October) 1236-1243.
- Block Novelo DA & Igie I (2018) Aero engine compressor cooling by water injection - Part 1: evaporative compressor model, Energy, 160 (October) 1224-1235.
- Block-Novelo DA & Igie U (2018) Reducing airport emissions through aircraft gas turbine water injection at take-off, Revista Internacional de Investigacion de Innovacion Tecnologica, 6 (34).
- Igie U & Sibilli T (2018) Transient thermal modelling of ball bearing using finite element method, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 140 (3) Article No. 032501, GTP-16-1232 032501-1-032501-7.
- Igie U (2017) Gas turbine compressor fouling and washing in power and aerospace propulsion, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 139 (12) Article No. GTP-17-1147 122602-1-122602-11.
- Igie U, Diez-Gonzalez P, Giraud A & Minervino O (2016) Evaluating gas turbine performance using machine-generated data: quantifying degradation and impacts of compressor washing, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 138 (12) 122601-122601-18.
- Igie U, Amoia D, Michailidis G & Minervino O (2016) Performance of inlet filtration system in relation to the uncaptured particles causing fouling in the gas turbine compressor, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 138 (1) 012601-GTP-15-1105.
- Igie U, Goiricelaya M, Nalianda D & Minervino O (2015) Aero engine compressor fouling effects for short- and long-haul missions, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 230 (7) 1312-1324.
- Agbadede R, Pilidis P, Igie UL & Allison I (2015) Experimental and theoretical investigation of the influence of liquid droplet size on effectiveness of online compressor cleaning for industrial gas turbines, Journal of the Energy Institute, 88 (4) 414-424.
- Igie U, Pilidis P, Fouflias D, Ramsden K & Laskaridis P (2014) Industrial gas turbine performance: Compressor fouling and on-line washing, Journal of Turbomachinery, 136 (10) Article No. 101001.
- Igie U & Minervino O (2014) Impact of inlet filter pressure loss on single and two-spool gas turbine engines for different control modes, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 136 (9) Article No. 091201.
- Fouflias D, Gannan A, Ramsden K, Pilidis P, Mba D, Teixeira J, Igie U & Lambart P (2010) Experimental investigation of the influence of fouling on compressor cascade characteristics and implications for gas turbine engine performance, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 224 (7) 1007-1018.
- Zawadzki N, Szymanski A, Block Novelo DA & Igie U (2020) Entropy generation and efficiency of a transonic rotor with water injection - a numerical study. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2020, London, 21-26 September 2020.
- Musa G, Igie U, Pilidis P & Sule G (2017) Economic viability of on-line compressor washing for different rated capacity. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2017: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition, Charlotte, NC, 26-30 June 2017.
- Block Novelo DA & Igie U (2017) Case for exploring compressor water injection for airport emission reduction. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2017: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition, Charlotte, NC, 26-30 June 2017.
- Mourouzidis C, Igie U, Pilidis P & Singh R (2015) Water injection on aircraft engines: a performance, emissions and economic study. In: ISABE 2015: 22nd International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines, Phoenix, AZ, 25-30 October 2015.
- Igie U, Pilidis P, Fouflias D, Ramsden K & Lambart P (2011) On-Line Compressor Cascade Washing for Gas Turbine Performance Investigation. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2011: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2011), Vancouver, BC, 6-10 June 2011.
- Giesecke D, Igie U, Pilidis P, RamsdenK & Lambart L Performance and techno-economic investigation of on-wing compressor wash for a short-range aero engine. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition (GT2012), Copenhagen, 11-15 June 2012.