Areas of expertise
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
Dr Trung Hieu Tran achieved a BEng in Industrial and Systems Engineering at Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology (2005) and a PhD in Operational Research at National University of Singapore (2011). Prior to the Centre for Competitive Creative Design (C4D), Cranfield University, he held a Lecturer at Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology (2005-2006) and Research Fellow positions at National University of Singapore, University of Kent, University of Warwick, University of Nottingham and Brunel University London (2011-2020).
During the period of time, he has been trained in analysis, design and implementation of mathematical programming models, meta-heuristic algorithms and multi-criteria decision-making techniques in the areas of production planning and scheduling, logistics and supply chain management, port operations and urban planning. In addition, he has experienced in data mining, machine learning and agent-based model in urban complexity and sustainability, as well as large-scale network modelling and optimization under risk of operational disruptions in public transport, hub/fuel-station location and gas transmission.
Over the past year, he held a Co-Investigator role in the GCRF-OSIRIS project ‘Optimal investment strategies to minimize flood impact on road infrastructure systems in Vietnam’, funded by the British Academy’s Global Challenges Research Fund: Cities and Infrastructure Programme. He has been the leading author of several journal articles in European Journal of Operational Research, Transportation Science, Annals of Operations Research, Journal of Scheduling, OMEGA, etc. He has recently participated in the editorial board of Inquest Journal of E-waste, and Journal of Cloud Computing and Data Science.
His research interests focus on the theory and application of optimization methods (both mathematical programming models and meta-heuristic algorithms) in Operational Research, and agent-based modelling and artificial intelligence in Computer Science, for manufacturing, service and urban design under uncertainties (e.g., disruption, climate change). He is interested in national and international research collaborations, and supervising PhD and MSc students in the fields.
Dr Trung Hieu Tran is a Lecturer in Data Analytics at the C4D, Cranfield University. He supports two modules in Design Method, and leads one module in Creative Enterprise and Entrepreneurship. He has developed a research programme combined Operational Research techniques and Big Data analytics to support developing countries for solving challenging problems under impact of climate change. In addition, he leads the Data-driven Innovation Community of Practice at the C4D, which aims to drive forward a bid winning culture to deliver high profile R&D projects.
British Academy (UK)
Leverhulme Trust (UK)
National Grid (UK)
European Commission (EU)
Transport Development and Strategy Institute (VN)
Articles In Journals
- Tran TH & Nguyen TBT (2022) Minimizing total cost of home energy consumption under uncertainties, Electric Power Components and Systems, Available online 29 November 2022.
- Jiang Y, Tran TH & Williams L (2022) Advanced visual slam and image segmentation techniques for augmented reality, International Journal of Virtual and Augmented Reality, 6 (1) Article No. 63.
- Barton NA, Hallett SH, Jude SR & Tran TH (2022) Predicting the risk of pipe failure using gradient boosted decision trees and weighted risk analysis, npj Clean Water, 5 (1) Article No. 22.
- Barton NA, Hallett SH, Jude SR & Tran TH (2022) An evolution of statistical pipe failure models for drinking water networks: a targeted review, Water Supply, 22 (4) 3784-3813.
- Mead MI, Bevilacqua M, Loiseaux C, Hallett SH, Jude S, Emmanouilidis C, Harris J, Leinster P, Mutnuri S, Tran TH & Williams L (2022) Generalised network architectures for environmental sensing: case studies for a digitally enabled environment, Array, 14 (July) Article No. 100168.
- Jiang Y, Yang R, Zang C, Wei Z, Thompson J, Tran TH, Encinas-Oropesa A & Williams L (2022) Toward baggage-free airport terminals: a case study of London City Airport, Sustainability, 14 (1) Article No. 212.
- Ng K & Tran T (2019) A parallel water flow algorithm with local search for solving the quadratic assignment problem, Journal of Industrial and Management Optimization, 15 (1) 235-259.
- Tran T, Mao Y & Siebers P (2019) Optimising decarbonisation investment for firms towards environmental sustainability, Sustainability, 11 (20) Article No. 5718.
- Tran T, Mao Y, Nathanail P, Siebers P & Robinson D (2019) Integrating slacks-based measure of efficiency and super-efficiency in data envelopment analysis, Omega, 85 (June) 156-165.
- Tran T & Nguyen T (2019) Alternative-fuel station network design under impact of station failures, Annals of Operations Research, 279 (1-2) 151-186.
- Tran T, French S, Ashman R & Kent E (2018) Linepack planning models for gas transmission network under uncertainty, European Journal of Operational Research, 268 (2) 688-702.
- Tran T, French S, Ashman R & Kent E (2018) Impact of compressor failures on gas transmission network capability, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 55 (March) 741-757.
- Tran T, Nagy G, Nguyen T & Wassan N (2018) An efficient heuristic algorithm for the alternative-fuel station location problem, European Journal of Operational Research, 269 (1) 159-170.
- Tran T, O'Hanley J & Scaparra M (2017) Reliable hub network design: Formulation and solution techniques, Transportation Science, 51 (1) 358-375.
- Tran T, Scaparra M & O'Hanley J (2017) A hypergraph multi-exchange heuristic for the single-source capacitated facility location problem, European Journal of Operational Research, 263 (1) 173-187.
- Tran T & Ng K (2013) A hybrid water flow algorithm for multi-objective flexible flow shop scheduling problems, Engineering Optimization, 45 (4) 483-502.
- Tran T & Ng K (2011) A water-flow algorithm for flexible flow shop scheduling with intermediate buffers, Journal of Scheduling, 14 (5) 483-500.