Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Sensor Technologies
Dr Charrett is an experienced researcher in optical sensor and instrumentation development. He has a PhD from Cranfield University into the development of imaging Laser Doppler velocimetry instrumentation (2003-2006). He is a trained physicist with a MPhys (Hons) in Physics with Space Science and Technology (University of Leicester, 2002).
Dr Charrett joined Cranfield in 2006 as a Research Fellow progressing to Lecture in Optical sensors in 2015. He has been engaged in a variety of research projects within the Centre for Engineering Photonics, and has experience and expertise in instrumentation research, including image and signal processing, interferometry and laser speckle techniques.
Dr Charrett is a Lecturer in Optical Sensors based in the Centre for Engineering Photonics.
Current research interests include those funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) into the development and application of novel manufacturing instrumentation including:
- Optical fibre interferometry for welding additive manufacturing and laser processing
- Combined interferometry and laser speckle correlation for multi-degree of freedom robotic position and orientation sensing
- Optical fibre sensors for manufacturing robotics.
- Multi-wavelength laser speckle for orientation measurement
He also has research interests in:
- The development and application of novel laser speckle instrumentation; including laser speckle velocimetry for autonomous vehicle navigation and manufacturing robotics tool speed measurement.
- Speckle interferometry for object strain and shape measurements (Electronic speckle pattern interferometry, shearography).
- Novel signal/image processing approaches in laser speckle sensing.
- Full field imaging flow measurement instrumentation, including Planar Doppler velocimetry (PDV) / Interferometric Planar Doppler velocimetry (IPDV). Particle imaging velocimetry (PIV) and Filtered Rayleigh scattering (FRS)
- Optical coherence tomography for micro-fluidic channel structure, flow measurement, and online monitoring of fibre composite layup.
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
Astrium (Now Airbus Defence and Space)
Cranfield Welding and Laser Processing Centre
Oxford Instruments Nanoscience
The Manufacturing Technology Centre (MTC)
Articles In Journals
- Hallam JM, Rigas E, Charrett TO & Tatam RP (2020) 2D spatially-resolved depth-section microfluidic flow velocimetry using dual beam OCT, Micromachines, 11 (4) Article No. 351. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.11522517
- Rigas E, Hallam JM, Charrett TOH, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2019) Metre-per-second microfluidic flow velocimetry with dual beam optical coherence tomography, Optics Express, 27 (17) 23849-23863. Dataset/s: https://doi.org/10.17862/cranfield.rd.7628933.v1
- Charrett T & Tatam R (2019) Performance and analysis of feature tracking approaches in laser speckle instrumentation, Sensors, 19 (10) Article No. 2389. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.re.7673279
- Charrett T, Kissinger T & Tatam R (2019) Workpiece positioning sensor (wPOS): A three-degree-of-freedom relative end-effector positioning sensor for robotic manufacturing, Procedia CIRP, 79 620-625.
- Charrett TOH, Bandari Y, Michel F, Ding J, Williams SW & Tatam RP (2018) A non-contact laser speckle sensor for the measurement of robotic tool speed, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 53 (October) 187-196. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.4758472
- Kissinger T, Correia R, Charrett T, James S & Tatam R (2016) Fiber segment interferometry for dynamic strain measurements, Journal of Lightwave Technology, 34 (19) 4620-4626.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2015) Range-resolved interferometric signal processing using sinusoidal optical frequency modulation, Optics Express, 23 (7) 9415-9431.
- Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2015) Full-field interferometry using infinity corrected optics, Measurement Science and Technology, 27 (1) Article No. 015402.
- Charrett TOH, Bledowski IA, James SW & Tatam RP (2014) Frequency division multiplexing for interferometric planar Doppler velocimetry, Applied Optics, 53 (20) 4363-4374.
- Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2014) Objective speckle displacement: an extended theory for the small deformation of shaped objects, Optics Express, 22 (21) 25466-25480.
- Bledowski IA, Charrett TOH, Francis D, James SW & Tatam RP (2013) Frequency-division multiplexing for multicomponent shearography, Applied Optics, 52 (3) 350-358.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2013) Fibre segment interferometry using code-division multiplexed optical signal processing for strain sensing applications, Measurement Science and Technology, 24 (9) Article No. 094011.
- Francis D, Charrett TOH, Waugh L & Tatam RP (2012) Objective speckle velocimetry for autonomous vehicle odometry, Applied Optics, 51 (16) 3478-3490.
- Charrett TOH, Francis D & Tatam RP (2011) Quantitative shearography: error reduction by using more than three measurement channels, Applied Optics, 50 (2) 134-146.
- Charrett TOH, Waugh L & Tatam RP (2010) Speckle velocimetry for high accuracy odometry for a Mars exploration rover, Measurement Science and Technology, 21 (2) Article No. 025301.
- Lu Z-H, Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2009) Three-component planar velocity measurements using Mach-Zehnder interferometric filter-based planar Doppler velocimetry (MZI-PDV), Measurement Science and Technology, 20 (3) 034019-1-034019-15.
- Charrett TO, Nobes DS & Tatam RP (2007) Investigation into the selection of viewing configurations for 3D Planar Doppler Velocimetry (PDV) measurements, Applied Optics, 46 (19) 4102-4116.
- Lu Z-H, Charrett TOH, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2007) Mach-Zehnder interferometric filter based planar Doppler velocimetry (MZI-PDV), Journal of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, 9 (11) 1002-1013.
- Charrett TOH, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2007) Planar Doppler velocimetry using a Mach-Zehnder interferometric filter, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 85 (1) 012011-1-012011-8.
- Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2006) Single camera three component planar velocity measurements using two-frequency planar Doppler velocimetry (2ν-PDV), Measurement Science and Technology, 17 (5) 1194-1206.
- Charrett TOH, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2006) Single camera 3D planar Doppler velocity measurements using imaging fibre bundles, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 45 193-200.
- Charrett TO, Ford HD, Nobes D & Tatam RP (2004) Two-frequency planar doppler velocimetry (2v-PDV), Review of Scientific Instruments, 75 (11) 4487-4496.
- Gibson SJ, Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2019) Absolute angle measurement using dual-wavelength laser speckle for robotic manufacturing. In: SPIE Optical Metrology: Optical Measurement Systems for Industrial Inspection XI, 2019, Munich, 24-27 June 2019.
- Rigas E, Hallam J, Ford H, Charrett T & Tatam R (2018) Dual-channel OCT for velocity measurement in microfluidic channels. In: 26th International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors, 2018, Lausanne, 24-28 September 2018.
- Hallam J, Rigas E, Ford H, Charrett T & Tatam R (2018) Dual sensing-light-sheet OCT for microfluidic PTV. In: SPIE Optical Engineering + Applications: Interferometry XIX, 2018, San Diego, CA, 19-23 August 2018.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TO, James SW, Adams A, Twin A & Tatam RP (2016) Characterisation of a cryostat using simultaneous, single-beam multiple-surface laser vibrometry. In: 12th International AI VE. LA. Conference on Vibration By Laser and Noncontact Techniques: Advances and Applications, Ancona, 29 June - 1 July 2016.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH, James SW, Adams A, Twin A & Tatam RP (2015) Simultaneous laser vibrometry on multiple surfaces with a single beam system using range-resolved interferometry. In: SPIE Optical Metrology 2015, Munich, 22-25 June 2015.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH, James SW & Tatam RP (2015) Cost-effective vibration and displacement measurement using range-resolved interferometry. In: 10th International Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics, Edinburgh, 1-3 September 2015.
- Kissinger T, Correia R, Charrett TOH, James SW & Tatam RP (2015) Range-resolved signal processing for fibre segment interferometry applied to dynamic long-gauge length strain sensing. In: 24th international conference on optical fibre sensors (OFS-24), Curitiba, 28 September - 2 October 2015.
- Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2015) Objective speckle displacement resulting from the deformation of shaped objects. In: SPIE Optical Metrology 2015, Munich, 22-25 June 2015.
- Francis D, Charrett TOH, Waugh L & Tatam RP (2012) Speckle velocimetry for odometry measurements of autonomous vehicles. In: 5th International Conference on Optical Measurement Techniques, Antwerp, 4 April 2012.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2012) Range-resolved single-sideband optical fibre interferometry for quasi-distributed dynamic strain sensing. In: 22nd International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors, 2012 (OFS 2012), Beijing, 15-19 October 2012.
- Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2009) Speckle velocimetry for high accuracy and multi-dimensional odometry. In: Fringe 2009: 6th international workshop on advanced optical metrology, Stuttgart, 14-16 September 2009.
- Lu ZH, Charrett TOH, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2008) 3D planar velocity measurements, using Mach-Zehnder interferometric-filter-based planar Doppler velocimetry (MZI-PDV) and imaging fibre bundles. In: 19th International Conference on Optical Fibre Sensors (OFS-19), Perth, 15-18 April 2008.
- Charrett TO, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2006) Single camera 3D planar Doppler velocity measurements, using two frequency planar Doppler velocimetry (2v-PDV) and imaging fibre bundles. In: 44th AIAA aerospace sciences meeting and exhibit (MASM06), Reno, NV, 9-12 January 2006.
- Charrett TO, Ford HD & Tatam RP (2005) Single camera 3D planar velocity measurements using imaging fibre bundles and two frequency planar Doppler velocimetry (2nu-PDV). In: 17th international conference on optical fiber sensors, Bruges, 23-27 May 2005.
- Charrett TOH, Ford HD, Nobes DS & Tatam RP (2003) Dual Illumination Planar Doppler Velocimetry using a Single Camera.