Areas of expertise
- Aviation Management & Operations
- Systems Engineering
- Throughlife Engineering Services
BackgroundTim gained his first degree at Imperial College London and has subsequently gained a postgraduate diploma from Salford University and his PhD in Aerospace from Cranfield university. Prior to academia he worked with BAE Systems and MBDA as a senior engineering manager and department head, spending almost 18 years contributing to and leading international teams on major defence projects. At Cranfield he is now a Senior Lecturer in Systems Engineering and Head of the Aerospace Integration Research Centre, helping to establish and manage the £35m venture with government, Airbus and Rolls-Royce.
Current activitiesTim is the Head of Aerospace Integration Research Centre at Cranfield, which performs research into aircraft and airspace of the future through diverse topics such as aircraft and aircraft systems design, flight dynamics, simulation, Air Traffic Management, thermal management and autonomy. He also performs research, consultancy and teaching in Systems Engineering with a particular focus on:
- Systems Thinking
- Systems Design and Architecture
- Lifecycle Management and Design Reviews
- Systems of Systems
- Through-Life Engineering Services.
ClientsClients have included:
- Abu Dhabi Electricity and Water Authority
- BAE Systems
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratories (DSTL)
- Lockheed Martin UK
- Ministry of Defence (MoD)
- Raytheon Systems
- Rolls Royce
- Various other government organisations
Articles In Journals
- Deane, S, Avdelidis HP, Ibarra-Castanedo C, Zhang H, Yazdani Nezhad H, Williamson AA, Mackley T, Davis MJ, Maldague X & Tsourdos A (2019) Application of NDT thermographic imaging of aerospace structures, Infrared Physics and Technology, 97 (March) 456-466.
- Ruiz Estebanez L, Shehab E, Sydor P, Mackley T, John P & Harrison A (2015) Enhancing service requirements of technical product-service systems, Procedia CIRP, 37 7-11.
- Ruiz Estébanez L, Shehab E, Sydor P, Mackley T, John P & Harrison A (2015) An integrated aerospace requirement setting and risk analysis tool for life cycle cost reduction and system design improvement, Procedia CIRP, 38 78-83.
- Tomas XC, Shehab E, Sydor P, Mackley T, John P & Harrison A (2014) An aerospace requirements setting model to improve system design, Procedia CIRP, 22 287-292.
- Mackley T (2015) A problem solving method using context types. In: IEEE International Symposium on Systems Engineering (ISSE), Rome, 28-30 September 2015.
- Mackley TC, Deane JR & John P (2010) Addressing the time dimension and agility in the provision of capability. In: 5th International Conference on System of Systems Engineering (SoSE), Loughborough, 22-24 June 2010.
- Mackley T, Barker S, John P & Deane J (2009) Developing agile systems for systems of systems in a network enabled environment. In: INCOSE 2009 : 19th Annual International Symposium of INCOSE & 3rd Asia-Pacific Conference on Systems Engineering, Republic of Singapore, 20-23 July 2009.
- Kasser J & Mackley T (2008) Applying systems thinking and aligning it to systems engineering. In: 18th International Conference, Annual International Symposium of the International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE 2008) , Utrect, 15-19 June 2008.
- Mackley T (2008) The role of lifecycle systems in the through-life engineering of system solutions. In: 18th International Conference, Annual International Symposium of the International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE 2008) , Utrect, 15-19 June 2008.
- Mackley T (2005) Generic measures of effectiveness for systems. In: International Council on Systems Engineering, INCOSE 2005, Rochester, New York, United States of America, 10-15 July 2005.