Contact Dr Thomas Kissinger
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 758204
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation & Sensors
- Sensor Technologies
- Ultraprecision & Nano-engineering
- Welding and Laser Processing
Thomas is a trained physicist (Dipl.-Phys.) and electrical engineer (B.Sc) and has previously worked in the optical metrology industry. He is currently working as a Research Fellow at Engineering Photonics, Cranfield University, following on from his PhD there in the area of range-resolved interferometric signal processing for fibre sensing applications. His PhD thesis entiltled 'Range-resolved optical interferometric signal processing' won the 2016 Lord Kings Norton prize for the best overall PhD thesis across Cranfield University.
Thomas's main research areas are the applications of interferometric and other signal processing techniques to engineering problems in ares such as:
- Precision Interferometry and Vibrometry
- Optical Fibre Sensing
- Manufacturing Instrumentation
- Optical Gas Sensing
He is a Researcher Co-Investigator on the three year Engineering and Physical Research Council (EPSRC) grant 'Novel optical instrumentation for robotic manufacturing' and he is heavily involved with the Aerospace Technology Institute (ATI) funded project BladeSense. Both projects are partially based on applying the range-resolved interferometry technique developed developed during his PhD project to real-world problems.
In addition to this he works with Oxford Instruments Nanoscience on the application of displacement and vibration measurements to their products and is collaborates with Cranfield University's Welding Engineering Research Centre on the application of novel interferometric sensors to laser based welding and additive manufacturing.
- Oxford Instruments Nanoscience
- Airbus Helicopters UK
Articles In Journals
- Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines SE, James SW & Tatam RP (2018) Dynamic fiber-optic shape sensing using fiber segment interferometry, Journal of Lightwave Technology, 36 (4) 917-925. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5209120.v1
- Kissinger T, Correia R, Charrett T, James S & Tatam R (2016) Fiber segment interferometry for dynamic strain measurements, Journal of Lightwave Technology, 34 (19) 4620-4626.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2015) Range-resolved interferometric signal processing using sinusoidal optical frequency modulation, Optics Express, 23 (7) 9415-9431.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2013) Fibre segment interferometry using code-division multiplexed optical signal processing for strain sensing applications, Measurement Science and Technology, 24 (9) Article No. 094011.
- Kissinger T, James S & Tatam R (2017) Simultaneous optical interrogation of multiple tuning fork resonators using range-resolved interferometry. In: IEEE Sensors Conference 2017, Glasgow, 29 October - 1 November 2017.
- Kissinger T, Chehura E, James SW & Tatam RP (2017) Interferometric fibre-optic curvature sensing for structural, directional vibration measurements. In: Measurement Systems for Industrial Inspection X 2017, Munich, 26-29 June 2017.
- Kissinger T, Chehura E, James SW & Tatam RP (2017) Multiplexing curvature sensors using fibre segment interferometry for lateral vibration measurements. In: 25th International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors, OFS 2017, Jeju, 24-28 April 2017.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TO, James SW, Adams A, Twin A & Tatam RP (2016) Characterisation of a cryostat using simultaneous, single-beam multiple-surface laser vibrometry. In: 12th International AI VE. LA. Conference on Vibration By Laser and Noncontact Techniques: Advances and Applications, Ancona, 29 June - 1 July 2016.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH, James SW, Adams A, Twin A & Tatam RP (2015) Simultaneous laser vibrometry on multiple surfaces with a single beam system using range-resolved interferometry. In: SPIE optical metrology 2015, Munich, 22-25 June 2015.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH, James SW & Tatam RP (2015) Cost-effective vibration and displacement measurement using range-resolved interferometry. In: 10th International Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics, Edinburgh, 1-3 September 2015.
- Kissinger T, Goncalves Correia R, Charrett T, James S & Tatam R (2015) Multiplexing of long-gauge length fibre optic dynamic strain sensors using range-resolved interferometry. In: 10th International Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics, Heriott-Watt University, Edinburgh, 1-3 September 2015.
- Kissinger T, Correia R, Charrett TOH, James SW & Tatam RP (2015) Range-resolved signal processing for fibre segment interferometry applied to dynamic long-gauge length strain sensing. In: 24th international conference on optical fibre sensors (OFS-24), Curitiba, 28 September - 2 October 2015.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2012) Range-resolved single-sideband optical fibre interferometry for quasi-distributed dynamic strain sensing. In: 22nd International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors, 2012 (OFS 2012), Beijing, 15-19 October 2012.