Contact Dr Thomas Kissinger
Areas of expertise
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Sensor Technologies
- Ultraprecision & Nano-engineering
- Welding and Laser Processing
Thomas is a Lecturer in Optical Instrumentation at the Centre for Engineering Photonics at Cranfield University and holder of a 5-year Royal Academy of Engineering Research Fellowship (2018-2023) with a project entitled "Doppler-enhanced lidar system using range-resolved interferometry". Thomas is a trained physicist (Dipl.-Phys.) and electrical engineer (B.Sc) and has previously worked in the optical metrology industry. He has been with the Centre for Engineering Photonics, first as a PhD student and then as a Research Fellow since 2011. His PhD in area of range-resolved interferometric signal processing for fibre sensing applications won the 2016 Lord Kings Norton prize for the best overall PhD thesis across Cranfield University.
Thomas's main research areas are the applications of interferometric and other optical measurement techniques to engineering problems in areas such as:
- 3D Imaging and Lidar
- Precision Optical Interferometry and Vibrometry
- Optical Fibre Sensing, in particular Fibre Optic Shape Sensing
- Manufacturing Instrumentation
- Optical Gas Sensing
- Cranfield Welding and Laser Processing Centre
- National Physical Laboratory (External supervision of PhD student)
- Oxford Instruments Nanoscience
- Airbus Helicopters UK
Articles In Journals
- Charrett T, Kissinger T & Tatam R (2019) Workpiece positioning sensor (wPOS): A three-degree-of-freedom relative end-effector positioning sensor for robotic manufacturing, Procedia CIRP, 79 620-625.
- Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines SE, James SW & Tatam RP (2018) Dynamic fiber-optic shape sensing using fiber segment interferometry, Journal of Lightwave Technology, 36 (4) 917-925. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5209120.v1
- Kissinger T, Correia R, Charrett T, James S & Tatam R (2016) Fiber segment interferometry for dynamic strain measurements, Journal of Lightwave Technology, 34 (19) 4620-4626.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2015) Range-resolved interferometric signal processing using sinusoidal optical frequency modulation, Optics Express, 23 (7) 9415-9431.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2013) Fibre segment interferometry using code-division multiplexed optical signal processing for strain sensing applications, Measurement Science and Technology, 24 (9) Article No. 094011.
- Kissinger T, Gomis B, Ding J, Williams SW & Tatam RP (2019) Measurements of wire + arc additive manufacturing layer heights during arc operation using coherent range-resolved interferometry (CO-RRI). In: Joint Special Interest Group meeting between euspen and ASPE Advancing Precision in Additive Manufacturing, Nantes, 16-18 September 2019.
- Weber S, Southgate D, Mullaney K, James S, Rutherford R, Sharma A, Lone M, Kissinger T, Chehura E, Staines S, Pekmezci H, Fragonara LZ, Petrunin I, Williams D, Moulitsas I, Cooke A, Lawson N, Rosales W, Tatam R, Morrish P, Fairhurst M, Atack R, Bailey G & Morley S (2018) Bladesense – a novel approach for measuring dynamic helicopter rotor blade deformation. In: 44th European Rotorcraft Forum (ERF 2018), Delft, 18-21 September 2018.
- Kissinger T, Chehura E, James SW & Tatam RP (2017) Multiplexing curvature sensors using fibre segment interferometry for lateral vibration measurements. In: 25th International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors, OFS 2017, Jeju, 24-28 April 2017.
- Kissinger T, Chehura E, James SW & Tatam RP (2017) Interferometric fibre-optic curvature sensing for structural, directional vibration measurements. In: Measurement Systems for Industrial Inspection X 2017, Munich, 26-29 June 2017.
- Kissinger T, James S & Tatam R (2017) Simultaneous optical interrogation of multiple tuning fork resonators using range-resolved interferometry. In: IEEE Sensors Conference 2017, Glasgow, 29 October - 1 November 2017.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TO, James SW, Adams A, Twin A & Tatam RP (2016) Characterisation of a cryostat using simultaneous, single-beam multiple-surface laser vibrometry. In: 12th International AI VE. LA. Conference on Vibration By Laser and Noncontact Techniques: Advances and Applications, Ancona, 29 June - 1 July 2016.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH, James SW, Adams A, Twin A & Tatam RP (2015) Simultaneous laser vibrometry on multiple surfaces with a single beam system using range-resolved interferometry. In: SPIE Optical Metrology 2015, Munich, 22-25 June 2015.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH, James SW & Tatam RP (2015) Cost-effective vibration and displacement measurement using range-resolved interferometry. In: 10th International Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics, Edinburgh, 1-3 September 2015.
- Kissinger T, Correia R, Charrett TOH, James SW & Tatam RP (2015) Range-resolved signal processing for fibre segment interferometry applied to dynamic long-gauge length strain sensing. In: 24th international conference on optical fibre sensors (OFS-24), Curitiba, 28 September - 2 October 2015.
- Kissinger T, Goncalves Correia R, Charrett T, James S & Tatam R (2015) Multiplexing of long-gauge length fibre optic dynamic strain sensors using range-resolved interferometry. In: 10th International Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics, Heriott-Watt University, Edinburgh, 1-3 September 2015.
- Kissinger T, Charrett TOH & Tatam RP (2012) Range-resolved single-sideband optical fibre interferometry for quasi-distributed dynamic strain sensing. In: 22nd International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors, 2012 (OFS 2012), Beijing, 15-19 October 2012.