Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Waste Management and Resource Efficiency
- Water Science and Engineering
Dr Tao Lyu has been working at Cranfield University in the Cranfield Water Science Institute since April 2020. He is a lecturer in Green Technologies and Environmental Engineering MSc course director (JSU-CU Cranfield Institute). He was awarded a PhD in Environmental Sciences from Aarhus University, Denmark (2016). His PhD research focused on emerging organic contaminants (micropollutants) removal in water and wastewater by Nature-based solutions, in particular treatment wetlands. After completing the project in the same department as an assistant researcher (2016.09-12), he moved to Nottingham Trent University as a Research Fellow (GCRF funded) in 2017. From September 2019, he was appointed as a Module Leader and lectured two modules to BSc (Hons) Environmental Sciences students. He expanded his research area on advanced nanotechnology development (e.g. nanobubble technology) for natural water restoration, eutrophication control, Harmful Algal blooms removal and sediment remediation.
Dr Tao Lyu works at the intersection of environmental engineering, chemistry and nanoscience, with a focus on sustainable wastewater treatment and natural water restoration. Dr Lyu is interested in supervising PhD, MSc students with the following research interests. Postdocs, visiting scholars, students, Self-funded PhD and student placements are also welcome. Please get in touch by email for more details.
Grants and funding
- 2021-2023, Royal Academy of Engineering - ‘Development of a nature-based solution for pharmaceutical wastewater treatment in Jordan.’ TSP2021\100376, UK PI, £79,698.
- 2021-2022, Industry-funded MRes studentship - ‘Improving the hydraulic performance of constructed wetlands for net-zero wastewater treatment’ Co-I.
- 2021, Industry partners and Environment Agency - ‘Summarising the evidence base on the use of treatment wetlands for phosphorus removal.’ Co-I.
- 2019-2021, Industry-funded project at Nottingham Trent University - ‘Oxygen nanobubble modified local soil material for indigenous macrophyte restoration.’ Co-I, £116,000
- 2019-2020, Industry-funded project at Nottingham Trent University - ‘Oxygen nanobubble technology for sediment remediation.’ Co-I, £21,000
- 2018, GCRF - ‘Enhancing water and soil remediation in India.’ Co-I, £17,000
- 2014, Daloon Foods Ltd. (Denmark) Travel grant, PI, DKK 21,000 = £3,000.
Management and teaching
- Thesis project coordinator for Water and Wastewater Engineering MSc
- Coordinator for Sewage Works of the Future Community of Practice (CoP)
- Water and Wastewater Engineering MSc (WWE M1&M2)
- Natural Based Solutions for Water and Land Management (NBS online short course)
- Environmental Innovation MSc course
- Water in Cities PhD course
- 2020-2024, PhD student: Chimamaka Amala, Developing the next generation of wetland technology
- 2021-2025, PhD student: Pinelopi Savvidou, Wastewater integrated selection environment: A UK model comprising regulation, resilience and sustainability
- 2021-2022, MRes student: Shuja-Ul-Hassan Syed, Improving the hydraulic performance of constructed wetlands for net-zero wastewater treatment
- 2021, MSc Thesis Project: Namgyel Dorji.
- 2021, MSc Group Project: Hannah Barry, Sharon Cherono, Giovanni Soruco Arnez, Takalani Mathivha
- 2020, MSc Thesis Project: Curtis Niles. Development of a tool for the selection of small sewage treatment technologies based on key attributes
- 2019, Research Assistants: Basgaer Moledina, Mick Cooper,
- 2018, Research Assistant: Samantha Best.
ClientsRoyal Academy of Engineering
The Environment Agency
Articles In Journals
- Wu Y, Tian W, Zhang Y, Fan W, Liu F, Zhao J, Wang M, Liu Y & Lyu T (2022) Nanobubble technology enhanced ozonation process for ammonia removal, Water (Switzerland), 14 (12) Article No. 1865.
- Li G, Hu R, Wang N, Yang T, Xu F, Li J, Wu J, Huang Z, Pan M & Lyu T (2022) Cultivation of microalgae in adjusted wastewater to enhance biofuel production and reduce environmental impact: pyrolysis performances and life cycle assessment, Journal of Cleaner Production, 355 (June) Article No. 131768.
- Huang Z, Zhang J, Pan M, Hao Y, Hu R, Xiao W, Li G & Lyu T (2022) Valorisation of microalgae residues after lipid extraction: Pyrolysis characteristics for biofuel production, Biochemical Engineering Journal, 179 (February) Article No. 108330.
- Xu R, Lyu T, Wang L, Yuan Y, Zhang M, Cooper M, Mortimer RJ, Yang Q & Pan G (2022) Utilization of coal fly ash waste for effective recapture of phosphorus from waters, Chemosphere, 287, Pt 4, Article No. 132431.
- Wang X, Lyu T, Dong R & Wu S (2022) Revealing the link between evolution of electron transfer capacity of humic acid and key enzyme activities during anaerobic digestion, Journal of Environmental Management, 301 (January) Article No. 113914.
- Fan W, Cui J, Li Q, Huo Y, Xiao D, Yang X, Yu H, Wang C, Jarvis P, Lyu T & Huo M (2021) Bactericidal efficiency and photochemical mechanisms of micro/nano bubble–enhanced visible light photocatalytic water disinfection, Water Research, 203 (September) Article No. 117531.
- Fan W, An W, Huo M, Xiao D, Lyu T & Cui J (2021) An integrated approach using ozone nanobubble and cyclodextrin inclusion complexation to enhance the removal of micropollutants, Water Research, 196 (May) Article No. 117039.
- Pan M, Lyu T, Zhan L, Matamoros V, Angelidaki I, Cooper M & Pan G (2021) Mitigating antibiotic pollution using cyanobacteria: removal efficiency, pathways and metabolism, Water Research, 90 (February) Article No. 116735.
- Su J, Lyu T, Cooper M, Mortimer RJ & Pan G (2021) Efficient arsenic removal by a bifunctional heterogeneous catalyst through simultaneous hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) catalytic oxidation and adsorption, Journal of Cleaner Production, 325 (November) Article No. 129329.
- Wang X, Lyu T, Dong R, Liu H & Wu S (2021) Dynamic evolution of humic acids during anaerobic digestion: Exploring an effective auxiliary agent for heavy metal remediation, Bioresource Technology, 320, Part A (January) Article No. 124331.
- Tang Y, Zhang M, Zhang J, Lyu T, Cooper M & Pan G (2021) Reducing arsenic toxicity using the interfacial oxygen nanobubble technology for sediment remediation, Water Research, 205 (October) Article No. 117657.
- Chu Q, Lyu T, Xue L, Yang L, Feng Y, Sha Z, Yue B, Mortimer RJG, Cooper M & Pan G (2021) Hydrothermal carbonization of microalgae for phosphorus recycling from wastewater to crop-soil systems as slow-release fertilizers, Journal of Cleaner Production, 283 (February) Article No. 124627.
- Li G, Zhang J, Li H, Hu R, Yao X, Liu Y, Zhou Y & Lyu T (2021) Towards high-quality biodiesel production from microalgae using original and anaerobically-digested livestock wastewater, Chemosphere, 273 (June) Article No. 128578.
- Wang X, Muhmood A, Lyu T, Dong R, Liu H & Wu S (2021) Mechanisms of genuine humic acid evolution and its dynamic interaction with methane production in anaerobic digestion processes, Chemical Engineering Journal, 408 (March) Article No. 127322.
- Zhang H, Lyu T, Liu L, Hu Z, Chen J, Su B, Yu J & Pan G (2021) Exploring a multifunctional geoengineering material for eutrophication remediation: simultaneously control internal nutrient load and tackle hypoxia, Chemical Engineering Journal, 406 (February) Article No. 127206.
- Wang S, Liu Y, Lyu T, Pan G & Li P (2020) Aquatic macrophytes in morphological and physiological responses to the nanobubble technology application for water restoration, ACS ES&T Water, 1 (2) 376-387.
- Song X, Zhang Y, Cao N, Sun D, Zhang Z, Wang Y, Wen Y, Yang Y & Lyu T (2020) Sustainable chromium (VI) removal from contaminated groundwater using nano-magnetite-modified biochar via rapid microwave synthesis, Molecules, 26 (1) Article No. 103.
- Wang C, Yin H, Bi L, Su J, Zhang M, Lyu T, Cooper M & Pan G (2020) Highly efficient and irreversible removal of cadmium through the formation of a solid solution, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 384 (February) Article No. 121461.
- Lyu T, Song L, Chen Q & Pan G (2020) Lake and river restoration: method, evaluation and management, Water (Switzerland), 12 (4) Article No. 977.
- Xu R, Lyu T, Zhang M, Cooper M & Pan G (2020) Molecular-level investigations of effective biogenic phosphorus adsorption by a lanthanum/aluminum-hydroxide composite, Science of the Total Environment, 725 (July) Article No. 138424.
- Pan M, Lyu T, Zhang M, Zhang H, Bi L, Wang L, Chen J, Yao C, Ali J, Best S, Ray N & Pan G (2019) Synergistic recapturing of external and internal phosphorus for in situ eutrophication mitigation, Water (Switzerland), 12 (1) Article No. 2.
- Su J, Lyu T, Yi H, Bi L & Pan G (2019) Superior arsenate adsorption and comprehensive investigation of adsorption mechanism on novel Mn-doped La2O2CO3 composites, Chemical Engineering Journal, Available online 29 November 2019, Article No. 123623.
- Liu F, Fiencke C, Guo J, Lyu T, Dong R & Pfeiffer E (2019) Optimisation of bioscrubber systems to simultaneously remove methane and purify wastewater from intensive pig farms, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 26 (16) 15847-15856.
- Lyu T, Wu S, Mortimer R & Pan G (2019) Nanobubble technology in environmental engineering: revolutionization potential and challenges, Environmental Science and Technology, 53 (13) 7175-7176.
- Pan G, Miao X, Bi L, Zhang H, Wang L, Wang L, Wang Z, Chen J, Ali J, Pan M, Zhang J, Yue B & Lyu T (2019) Modified Local Soil (MLS) technology for harmful algal bloom control, sediment remediation, and ecological restoration, Water (Switzerland), 11 (6) Article No. 1123.
- Zhang Y, Lyu T, Zhang L, Button M, Arias CA, Weber KP, Shi J, Chen Z, Brix H & Carvalho PN (2019) Microbial community metabolic profiles in saturated constructed wetlands treating iohexol and ibuprofen, Science of the Total Environment, 651 (2) 1926-1934.
- Wu Y, Lyu T, Yue B, Tonoli E, Verderio EAM, Ma Y & Pan G (2019) Enhancement of tomato plant growth and productivity in organic farming by agri-nanotechnology using nanobubble oxygation, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 67 (39) 10823-10831.
- Su J, Bi L, Wang C, Lyu T & Pan G (2019) Enhancement of cadmium removal by oxygen-doped carbon nitride with molybdenum and sulphur hybridization, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 556 (November) 606-615.
- Lyu T, Mortimer R & Pan G (2019) Comment on "a Pilot-Scale Field Study: In Situ Treatment of PCB-Impacted Sediments with Bioamended Activated Carbon", Environmental Science and Technology, 53 (10) 6103-6103.
- Jin X, Bi L, Lyu T, Chen J, Zhang H & Pan G (2019) Amphoteric starch-based bicomponent modified soil for mitigation of harmful algal blooms (HABs) with broad salinity tolerance: Flocculation, algal regrowth, and ecological safety, Water Research, 165 (November) Article No. 115005.
- Zhang L, Lyu T, Zhang Y, Button M, Arias CA, Weber KP, Brix H & Carvalho PN (2018) Impacts of design configuration and plants on the functionality of the microbial community of mesocosm-scale constructed wetlands treating ibuprofen, Water Research, 131 (March) 228-238.
- Zhang H, Shang Y, Lyu T, Chen J & Pan G (2018) Switching Harmful Algal Blooms to Submerged Macrophytes in Shallow Waters Using Geo-engineering Methods: Evidence from a 15N Tracing Study, Environmental Science and Technology, 52 (20) 11778-11785.
- Zhang H, Lyu T, Bi L, Tempero G, Hamilton D & Pan G (2018) Combating hypoxia/anoxia at sediment-water interfaces: A preliminary study of oxygen nanobubble modified clay materials, Science of the Total Environment, 637-638 550-560.
- Zhang L, Lyu T, Ramírez Vargas C, Arias C, Carvalho P & Brix H (2018) New insights into the effects of support matrix on the removal of organic micro-pollutants and the microbial community in constructed wetlands, Environmental Pollution, 240 (September) 699-708.
- Lyu T, He K, Dong R & Wu S (2018) The intensified constructed wetlands are promising for treatment of ammonia stripped effluent: Nitrogen transformations and removal pathways, Environmental Pollution, 236 273-282.
- Wu S, Lyu T, Zhao Y, Vymazal J, Arias C & Brix H (2018) Rethinking Intensification of Constructed Wetlands as a Green Eco-Technology for Wastewater Treatment, Environmental Science and Technology, 52 (4) 1693-1694.
- Lyu T, Zhang L, Xu X, Arias C, Brix H & Carvalho P (2018) Removal of the pesticide tebuconazole in constructed wetlands: Design comparison, influencing factors and modelling, Environmental Pollution, 233 (February) 71-80.
- Wang L, Miao X, Ali J, Lyu T & Pan G (2018) Quantification of Oxygen Nanobubbles in Particulate Matters and Potential Applications in Remediation of Anaerobic Environment, ACS Omega, 3 (9) 10624-10630.
- Carvalho P, Zhang Y, Lyu T, Arias C, Bester K & Brix H (2018) Methodologies for the analysis of pesticides and pharmaceuticals in sediments and plant tissue, Analytical Methods, 10 (30) 3791-3803.
- Ding Y, Lyu T, Bai S, Li Z, Ding H, You S & Xie Q (2018) Effect of multilayer substrate configuration in horizontal subsurface flow constructed wetlands: assessment of treatment performance, biofilm development, and solids accumulation, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 25 (2) 1883-1891.
- Luo H, Lyu T, Muhmood A, Xue Y, Wu H, Meers E, Dong R & Wu S (2018) Effect of flocculation pre-treatment on membrane nutrient recovery of digested chicken slurry: Mitigating suspended solids and retaining nutrients, Chemical Engineering Journal, 352 (November) 855-862.
- Pan G, Lyu T & Mortimer R (2018) Comment: Closing phosphorus cycle from natural waters: re-capturing phosphorus through an integrated water-energy-food strategy, Journal of Environmental Sciences, 65 (March) 375-376.
- Kizito S, Luo H, Wu S, Ajmal Z, Lv T & Dong R (2017) Phosphate recovery from liquid fraction of anaerobic digestate using four slow pyrolyzed biochars: Dynamics of adsorption, desorption and regeneration, Journal of Environmental Management, 201 260-267.
- Guo L, Lv T, He K, Wu S, Dong X & Dong R (2017) Removal of organic matter, nitrogen and faecal indicators from diluted anaerobically digested slurry using tidal flow constructed wetlands, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 24 (6) 5486-5496.
- Lv T, Zhang Y, Carvalho P, Zhang L, Button M, Arias C, Weber K & Brix H (2017) Microbial community metabolic function in constructed wetland mesocosms treating the pesticides imazalil and tebuconazole, Ecological Engineering, 98 378-387.
- Luo H, Lv T, Shi M, Wu S, Carvalho P & Dong R (2017) Stabilization of Preliminary Anaerobically Digested Slurry in Post-Storage: Dynamics of Chemical Characteristics and Hygienic Quality, Water, Air and Soil Pollution, 228 (8) Article No. 306.
- Wu S, Lv T, Lu Q, Ajmal Z & Dong R (2017) Treatment of anaerobic digestate supernatant in microbial fuel cell coupled constructed wetlands: Evaluation of nitrogen removal, electricity generation, and bacterial community response, Science of the Total Environment, 580 339-346.
- Kizito S, Lv T, Wu S, Ajmal Z, Luo H & Dong R (2017) Treatment of anaerobic digested effluent in biochar-packed vertical flow constructed wetland columns: Role of media and tidal operation, Science of the Total Environment, 592 197-205.
- Zhang Y, Lv T, Carvalho P, Zhang L, Arias C, Chen Z & Brix H (2017) Ibuprofen and iohexol removal in saturated constructed wetland mesocosms, Ecological Engineering, 98 394-402.
- Zhang L, Lv T, Zhang Y, Stein O, Arias C, Brix H & Carvalho P (2017) Effects of constructed wetland design on ibuprofen removal – A mesocosm scale study, Science of the Total Environment, 609 38-45.
- Lv T, Carvalho P, Casas M, Bollmann U, Arias C, Brix H & Bester K (2017) Enantioselective uptake, translocation and degradation of the chiral pesticides tebuconazole and imazalil by Phragmites australis, Environmental Pollution, 229 362-370.
- Lv T, Carvalho PN, Zhang L, Zhang Y, Button M, Arias CA, Weber KP & Brix H (2017) Functionality of microbial communities in constructed wetlands used for pesticide remediation: Influence of system design and sampling strategy, Water Research, 110 (March) 241-251.
- Ni P, Lyu T, Sun H, Dong R & Wu S (2017) Liquid digestate recycled utilization in anaerobic digestion of pig manure: Effect on methane production, system stability and heavy metal mobilization, Energy, 141 (December) 1695-1704.
- Bai S, Lyu T, Ding Y, Li Z, Wang D, You S & Xie Q (2017) Campus Sewage Treatment in Multilayer Horizontal Subsurface Flow Constructed Wetlands: Nitrogen Removal and Microbial Community Distribution, CLEAN - Soil, Air, Water, 45 (11) Article No. 1700254.
- Lv T, Zhang Y, Zhang L, Carvalho PN, Arias CA & Brix H (2016) Removal of the pesticides imazalil and tebuconazole in saturated constructed wetland mesocosms, Water Research, 91 (March) 126-136.
- Lv T, Zhang Y, Casas ME, Carvalho PN, Arias CA, Bester K & Brix H (2016) Phytoremediation of imazalil and tebuconazole by four emergent wetland plant species in hydroponic medium, Chemosphere, 148 459-466.
- Bai S, Lv T, Ding Y, Li X, You S, Xie Q & Brix H (2016) Multilayer substrate configuration enhances removal efficiency of pollutants in constructed wetlands, Water (Switzerland), 8 (12) Article No. 556.
- Zhang Y, Lv T, Carvalho PN, Arias CA, Chen Z & Brix H (2016) Removal of the pharmaceuticals ibuprofen and iohexol by four wetland plant species in hydroponic culture: plant uptake and microbial degradation, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23 (3) 2890-2898.
- Zhang Y, Carvalho PN, Lv T, Arias C, Brix H & Chen Z (2016) Microbial density and diversity in constructed wetland systems and the relation to pollutant removal efficiency, Water Science and Technology, 73 (3) 679-686.
- He K, Lv T, Wu S, Guo L, Ajmal Z, Luo H & Dong R (2016) Treatment of alkaline stripped effluent in aerated constructed wetlands: feasibility evaluation and performance enhancement, Water (Switzerland), 8 (9) Article No. 386.
- Arias C, Oirschot D, Kilian R, Pascual A, Carvalho P, Lv T, Zhang Y, Brix H & Alvarez J (2015) Design and performance evaluation of a highly loaded aerated treatment wetland managing effluents from a food processing industry in Denmark, Water Practice and Technology, 10 (4) 644-651.
- Wu S, Lv T, Kuschk P, Chen L & Dong R (2013) Comparative laboratory-scale study of resorcinol and nitrogen removal in different treatment wetlands, Advanced Materials Research, 726-731 1643-1653.
- Lv T, Wu S, Hong H, Chen L & Dong R (2013) Dynamics of nitrobenzene degradation and interactions with nitrogen transformations in laboratory-scale constructed wetlands, Bioresource Technology, 133 (April) 529-536.
- Li C, Wu S, Sun F, Lv T, Dong R & Pang C (2012) Performance of lab-scale tidal flow constructed wetlands treating livestock wastewater, Advanced Materials Research, 518-523 2631-2639.
- Wu S, Lv T, Li C, Kuschk P, Wiessner A, Pang C & Dong R (2012) Effect of nitrate on sulphur transformations depending on carbon load in laboratory-scale wetlands treating artificial sewage, Advanced Materials Research, 518-523 1902-1912.