Contact Dr Suresh Perinpanayagam
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x2377
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
- Autonomous Systems
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Electric Power Machines
- Mechatronics & Advanced Controls
- Monitoring and Environmental Informatics
- Sensor Technologies
- Throughlife Engineering Services
- Vehicle Health Management
Dr Suresh Perinpanayagam graduated with a Master of Engineering from Imperial College London in 1996. He first started work at the Ford Motor Company Development Centres in Dunton, UK and Merknick, Germany to implement an integrated engineering platform for new vehicle development. This platform saved millions of pounds in cost for vehicle development and eventually established the company as an agile establishment. After 3 years, Suresh returned to Imperial College London to complete his PhD. This was done at the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre at Imperial College, under the auspices of the FP7 programme. Suresh worked with major engine manufacturers in Europe (Rolls-Royce, UK; MTU, Germany; SNECMA, France).
After graduating in 2004, Suresh worked as a Associate Research Scientist at the Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (SIMTech), which is an A*STAR (Agency for Science, Technology and Research) research institute in Singapore. Suresh was one of the pioneering researchers who was awarded $1 million project funded by Boeing, EADS and Singapore's Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC) under the auspices of the SERC Aerospace Research Programme. The project looked at developing novel sensors and signal-processing techniques for the detection of defects on composites of thickness of more than one inch, such as those on the Boeing 787 skins. Suresh jointly collaborated with Imperial College London, UK, Uppsala University, Sweden and Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. Suresh managed fifteen people in this project which involved developing existing staff to work on the project and recruiting new staff, training them on the research activities, industrial engagement and focusing them on the business deliverables.
Dr Suresh Perinpanayagam is a Senior Lecturer in Intelligent Systems, in the Integrated Vehicle Health Management (IVHM) Centre at Cranfield University. He develops Adaptive Intelligent systems for providing health management capability for the aerospace, automotive, rail, infrastructure and energy sectors. Adaptive Intelligent systems coordinate perception, reasoning and action to pursue multiple goals while functioning autonomously in dynamic environments. Adaptive Intelligent systems for self-health awareness of assets are set to play an ever-increasing role in the above-mentioned industries, from design to manufacture, through- life engineering and end-of- life disposal of these assets. Suresh focuses on developing these capabilities for electrical, electronic and electro-mechanical systems and smart structures.
Suresh has rapidly established a research group with 5 current research grants as principal investigator worth £1.4M in total, including industrial projects, EPSRC, TSB and EU-FP7 projects. His research group consists of 2 research fellows, 5 full-time PhDs and a number of MSc students.
Suresh also manages a laboratory for Adaptive Intelligent system development with distributed (wired and wireless) sensor networks, data acquisition, data-mining, data management and energy harvesting capabilities for aerospace, rail, critical infrastructure and renewable energy systems. This laboratory develops data-mining techniques for anomaly detection, diagnostics, prognostics, information fusion, self-healing, predictive maintenance and logistical support for electro-mechanical systems from the above-mentioned sectors.
Suresh has published one book chapter on Sensors, Instrumentation and Signal Processing in the SAE International book on Integrated Vehicle Health Management and numerous research papers.
Dr Perinpanayagam has research expertise in the following key areas:
- Sensor networks for system health monitoring
- Technologies for Adaptive Intelligent systems: data-mining, artificial intelligence, diagnostics, prognostics, self-healing
- Knowledge representation and reasoning: logic and probabilistic reasoning, reasoning for spatial-temporal phenomena and non-monotonic reasoning
- Real-time hybrid (model-based and data-driven) prognostic models for system health management
- Dealing with uncertainty: resilient approaches for recognising, dealing with, and learning from errors and inconsistent sensor data
- Sensor fusion, data fusion and information fusion
- Software, hardware and communication architecture for health management systems
- Statistical techniques for reliability estimation for electrical machines, microelectronic and power electronic systems
- Multi-domain (electrical, thermal, mechanical, etc) failure model simulation for electrical machines, microelectronic and power electronic systems
- Highly-accelerated life test development for multi-domain failure model validation for electro-mechanical systems
- High-temperature sensors and electronics Energy-efficient and reconfigurable systems
- Multi-functional materials and additive manufacturing for integrated sensor-structure systems.
Suresh is part of the working group developing the IEEE Standard for Prognostics and Health Management. He is also the associate editor for IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics Special Issue on Robust Design and Reliability in Power Electronics.
- Thales Group
- Meggitt Systems
- The Boeing Company
- Network Rail
- BAE Systems
- Lufthansa Technik AG
- Central Networks
Articles In Journals
- Cubillo A, Uriondo A & Perinpanayagam S (2017) Computational mixed TEHL model and Stribeck curve of a journal bearing, Tribology Transactions, 60 (6) 1053-1062.
- Nel BJ & Perinpanayagam S (2017) A Brief Overview of SiC MOSFET Failure Modes and Design Reliability, Procedia CIRP, 59 280-285.
- Sebastian RK, Perinpanayagam S & Choudhary R (2017) Health management design considerations for an all electric aircraft, Procedia CIRP, 59 102-110.
- Alghassi A, Soulatiantork P, Samie M, Del Pozo AU, Perinpanayagam S & Faifer M (2017) Fault Tolerance Enhance DC-DC Converter Lifetime Extension, Procedia CIRP, 59 268-273.
- Soulatiantork P, Alghassi A, Faifer M & Perinpanayagam S. (2017) IGBT thermal stress reduction using advance control strategy, Procedia CIRP, 59 274-279.
- Cubillo A, Vermeulen J, De La Peña M, Casanova I & Perinpanayagam S (2017) Physics-based integrated vehicle health management system for predicting the remaining useful life of an aircraft planetary gear transmission, International Journal of Structural Integrity, 8 (4) 484-495.
- Portolés L, Jordá O, Jordá L, Uriondo A, Esperon-Migueza M & Perinpanayagam S (2016) A qualification procedure to manufacture and repair aerospace parts with electron beam melting, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 41 65-75.
- Alghassi A, Samie M & Perinpanayagam S (2016) Stochastic RUL calculation enhanced with TDNN-based IGBT failure modeling, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 65 (2) 558-573.
- Syed WA, Perinpanayagam S, Samie M & Jennions I (2016) A novel intermittent fault detection algorithm and health monitoring for electronic interconnections, IEEE Transactions on Components Packaging and Manufacturing Technology Part A, 6 (3) 400-406.
- Mann JK, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions I (2016) Aging Detection Capability for Switch-Mode Power Converters, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 63 (5) 3216-3227.
- Cubillo A, Perinpanayagam S & Esperon-Miguez M (2016) A review of physics-based models in prognostics: Application to gears and bearings of rotating machinery, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 8 (8) 1-20.
- Uriondo A, Esperon Miguez M & Perinpanayagam S. (2015) The present and future of additive manufacturing in the aerospace sector: A review of important aspects, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 229 (11) 2132-2147.
- Wileman AJ & Perinpanayagam S (2015) Integrated vehicle health management: An approach to dealing with lifetime prediction considerations on relays, Microelectronics Reliability, 55 (9-10) 2165-2171.
- Ahmad SW, Perinpanayagam S, Jennions I & Samie M (2015) A Carrier Signal Approach for Intermittent Fault Detection and Health Monitoring for Electronics Interconnections System, International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 6 (12).
- Samie M, Motlagh AMS, Alghassi A, Perinpanayagam S & Kapetanios E (2015) Principle of Duality on Prognostics, International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 6 (6) 44-52.
- Alghassi A, Perinpanayagam S, Samie M & Sreenuch T (2014) Computationally Efficient, Real-Time, and Embeddable Prognostic Techniques for Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 30 (5) 2623-2634.
- Sreenuch T, Alghassi A, Perinpanayagam S & Xie Y (2014) Probabilistic Monte-Carlo Method for Modelling and Prediction of Electronics Component Life, International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 5 (1) 96-104.
- Samie M, Perinpanayagam S, Alghassi A, Motlagh AMS & Kapetanios E (2014) Developing Prognostic Models Using Duality Principles for DC-to-DC Converters, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 30 (5) 2872-2884.
- Walker RB, Vayanat R, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2014) Unbalance localization through machine nonlinearities using an artificial neural network approach, Mechanism and Machine Theory, 75 54-66.
- Ahmad WS, Perinpanayagam S, Jennions I & Khan S (2014) Study on intermittent faults and electrical continuity, Procedia CIRP, 22 71-75.
- Samie M, Dragffy G, Pipe T & Perinpanayagam S (2013) Unicellular self-healing electronic array, Procedia CIRP, 11 400-405.
- Wileman AJ & Perinpanayagam S (2013) Failure mechanisms of radar and RF systems, Procedia CIRP, 11 56-61.
- Wileman AJ & Perinpanayagam S (2013)
Prognostic health management of a RF transceiver chain, Procedia CIRP, 11 266-271.
- Walker RB, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2013)
Rotordynamic Faults: Recent advances in diagnosis and prognosis, International Journal of Rotating Machinery, 2013.
- Syed WA, Khan S, Phillips P & Perinpanayagam P (2013) Intermittent Fault Finding Strategies, Procedia CIRP, 11.
- Syed WA, Khan S, Phillips P & Perinpanayagam S (2013) Intermittent fault finding strategies, Procedia CIRP, 11 74-79.
- Cubillo A & Perinpanayagam S (2016) Challenges of redesigning a planetary transmission to be made by additive manufacturing. In: 14th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR 2016), Loughborough, 6-8 September 2016.
- Perinpanayagam S. (2016) Prognostics Health Management of Hybrid Powertrains. In: Future Powertrain Conference, The National Motorcycle Museum, Coventry Road, Bickenhill, Solihull, West Midlands. B92 0EJ, 24-25 February 2016.
- Choudhary R, Perinpanayagam S & Butans E (2016) Design and analysis of communication model for implementation of CBM based on OSA-CBM framework. In: 2016 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Yellowstone Conference Center, Big Sky, Montana, 5-12 March 2016.
- Perinpanayagam S (2015) Integrated Vehicle Health Management (IVHM) for Aircraft Electronics/Power Electronics. In: 25th European Symposium on Reliability of Electron Devices, Failure Physics and Analysis, Toulouse, 5-9 October 2015.
- Buddhi Arachchige, Suresh Perinpanayagam & Sreenuch Tarapong (2015) Effect of Uncertainties On the Health Monitoring of Aircraft Engines. In: ASME 2015 Verification and Validation Symposium, Las Vegas, NV, 11-15 May 2015.
- Cubillo A, Perinpanayagam S, Rodriguez M, Collantes I & Vermeulen J. (2015) Physics-Based IVHM Systems for Predicting the RUL of an Aircraft Planetary Gear Transmission. In: 5th EASN Workshop on Aerostructures, Manchester, 2-4 September 2015.
- Alghassi A, Soulatiantork P, Samie M, Perinpanayagam S & Faifer M (2015) Reliability enhance powertrain using fuzzy knowledge base prognostics model. In: 2015 17th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, Geneva, 8-10 September 2015.
- Alghassi A, Soulatiantork P, Samie M, Perinpanayagam S & Faifer M (2015) Relibility enhance powertrain using ANFIS base prognostics model. In: 2015 IEEE Conference on Prognostics and Health Management (PHM), Austin, TX, 22-25 June 2015.
- Choudhary R, Perinpanayagam S & Butans E (2015) IVHM System Integration Network Performance Analysis using different Middleware Technologies and Network Structure. In: ICN 2015, The Fourteenth International Conference on Networks, Barcelona, 19-24 April 2015.
- Samie M, Alghassi A & Perinpanayagam S (2015) Unified IGBT prognostic using natural computation. In: IEEE International Digital Signal Processing (DSP), Singapore, 21-24 July 2015.
- Samie M, Perinpanayagam S, Alghassi A, Motlagh A & Kapetanios E (2014) Reliability enhanced EV using pattern recognition techniques. In: 2014 IEEE International Electric Vehicle Conference (IEVC), Florence, 17-19 December 2014.
- Esperon Miguez M & Perinpanayagam S (2014) Merging Additive Manufacturing and Integrated Vehicle Health Management. In: 9th AIRTEC 2014 International Congress, Frankfurt, 28-30 October 2014.
- Cubillo A, Perinpanayagam S & Esperon Miguez M. (2014) Multiphysics-based Model for Prognostics in a Planetary Transmission. In: Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, Fort Worth, Texas, 29 September - 2 October 2014.
- Samie M, Motlagh AMS, Alghassi A, Perinpanayagam S & Kapetanios E (2014) Realising duality principle for prognostic models. In: The Ninth International Multi-Conference on Computing in the Global Information Technology, Sevilla, 22-26 June 2014.
- Walker RB, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2013) Localizing unbalance faults in rotating machinery. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2013: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, (GT2013), San Antonio, Texas, 3 June 2013.
- Alghassi A, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2013) Prognostic capability evaluation of power electronic modules in transportation electrification and vehicle systems. In: 15th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, 2013 , Lille, 2-6 September 2013.
- Alghassi A, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2013) A simple state-based prognostic model for predicting remaining usefullLife of IGBT power module. In: 15th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, 2013 , Lille, 2-6 September 2013.
- Walker R, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions I (2012) Simulating unbalance for future IVHM applications. In: 30th International Modal Analysis Conference (IMAC) 2012, Jacksonville, FL, 30 January - 2 February 2012.
- Walker R, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2012) Unbalance Localisation using High Fidelity Simulations. In: The Ninth International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies , London, 12 June 2012.
- Walker RB, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2012) Localizing common faults for improved aero engine maintenance. In: ASME 2012 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE2012), Houston, TX, 9-15 November 2012.
- Sirigineedi G, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2012) Neural network based classification of unbalances in rotating machinery. In: 9th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies 2012 (CM 2012 AND MFPT 2012), London, 12 June 2012.
- Bhambra JK, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions I (2011) Electronic prognostics and health management of aircraft avionics using digital power converters. In: Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society 2011, Montreal, 25 September 2011.
- Bhambra JK, Perinpanayagam S, Taurand C & Peyrat S (2011) Health monitoring of POL converter using digital PWM controller. In: 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Diagnostics for Electric Machines, Power Electronics & Drives, Bologna, 5-8 September 2011.
- Walker R, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions I (2011) Physics-Based Simulation for Health Management of Rotating Machinery. In: 8th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies Conference, Cardiff, 20 June 2011.
- Perinpanayagam S & Ewins DJ (2004) Test strategy for component modal test for model validation. In: Proceedings of ISMA 2004: International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering, Katholieke Univ Leuven, 20-22 September 2004.
- Perinpanayagam S, Robb D, Ewins DJ & Barragan JM (2004) Non-linearities in an aero-engine structure: From test to design. In: Proceedings of the 2004 International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering, ISMA;, Leuven, 20-22 September 2004.
- S. Perinpanayagam & D. J. Ewins (2003) Free-Free, Fixed or Other Test Boundary Conditions for the Best Modal Test?. In: IMAC-XXI: Conference & Exposition on Structural Dynamics, Kissimmee, Florida, 3 February 2003.
- Wileman AJ & Perinpanayagam S A Prognostic Framework For Electromagnetic Relay Contacts. In: 2nd European Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, Nantes, 8 July 2014.
- Portoles L, Jordan O, Jordan L, Uriondo A, Esperon-Miguez M & Perinpanayagam S Additive Manufacturing: Certification in the aircraft market and a qualification procedure for metal parts. In: 5th EASN Conference, Manchester, 2 September 2015.
- Cubillo A, Perinpanayagam S., Rodriguez M, Collantes I & Vermeulen J. (2016) Prognostics Health Management System Based on Hybrid Model to Predict Failures of a Planetary Gear Transmission. In: Machine Learning for Cyber Physical Systems: Selected papers from the International Conference ML4CPS 2015. Niggemann, Oliver, Beyerer, Jürgen (ed.), Berlin: Springer- Verlag, p. 33-44.
- Suresh Perinpanayagam (2013) Sensor, Instrumentation and Signal Processing. In: Integrated Vehicle Health Management: The Technology. Ian K. Jennions (ed.), SAE International, p. 5-25.
- Walker R, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions I. (2012) Simulating Unbalance for Future IVHM Applications. In: Topics in Model Validation and Uncertainty Quantification, Volume 4 Proceedings of the 30th IMAC, A Conference on Structural Dynamics, 2012. T. Simmermacher, S. Cogan, L.G. Horta, R. Barthorpe (ed.), Springer, p. 141-148.