Contact Dr Suresh Perinpanayagam
Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Autonomous Systems
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Electric Power Machines
- Mechatronics & Advanced Controls
- Monitoring and Environmental Informatics
- Safety, Resilience, Risk & Reliability
- Sensor Technologies
- Space Systems
- Throughlife Engineering Services
- Vehicle Health Management
Dr Suresh Perinpanayagam is a Senior Lecturer in Intelligent Systems and a Chartered Engineer at the Integrated Vehicle Health Management (IVHM) Centre, Cranfield University. Suresh’s expertise is in Data-Centric Engineering and Digital Twins for Intelligent Systems. Suresh has a Bachelor and Master in Aeronautical Engineering from Imperial College London. He pursued his PhD at the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre at Imperial College, under the auspices of the European FP7 programme. During this tenure, he worked with major engine manufacturers in Europe (Rolls-Royce, UK; MTU, Germany; SNECMA, France).
Suresh was on sabbatical at Charles Darwin University (CDU) as an Associate Professor and the Clough-sponsored Chair on Predictive Analytics and Intelligent Maintenance (https://clough.com.au/clough-collaboration-with-charles-darwin-university/) for the oil and gas sector. This position was fully funded by Clough Australia. Suresh has also collaborated with the SMART Centre on Future Urban Mobility, established by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in partnership with the National Research Foundation of Singapore (NRF).
Suresh has worked on over 25 industry-led projects funded by industry partners, Aerospace Technology Institute (ATI), Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), UK Research and Innovation, and European Commission. He has received grants worth more than US$4 million over his career as principal investigator. Suresh has provided academic mentoring and leadership to over fifty early and mid-career researchers to develop their research. He has successfully completed supervision of thirty-five Master’s students and six PhD theses as principal supervisor.
Suresh has worked at the Ford Motor Company Development Centres in Dunton, UK and Merknick, Germany, and implemented an integrated engineering platform for new vehicle development. This platform saved millions of pounds for vehicle development and eventually established the company as an agile establishment. Suresh also worked as a Research Scientist at the Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (SIMTech), an A*STAR (Agency for Science, Technology and Research) research institute in Singapore. Suresh was one of the pioneering researchers who was awarded S$1 million project funded by The Boeing Company, EADS and Singapore's Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC) under the auspices of the SERC Aerospace Research Programme.
Suresh is a member of the EPSRC Peer Review College and the working group developing the IEEE Standard for Prognostics and Health Management. Suresh is also a Knowledge Exchange co-ordinator in Cranfield.
Suresh has developed and teaches Data-Centric Engineering (IVHM) courses to Cranfield’s Master’s students. He also teaches “Availability, Maintainability, Risk and Resilience” courses. He has also supervised Master’s group and individual projects for these MSc courses. Suresh has served as the external examiner for a dozen PhD theses.
Suresh is an associate editor for IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics – Special Issue on Robust Design and Reliability in Power Electronics. He is a member of the Editorial Board of Microelectronics Reliability – Special Issue on Reliability of Power Electronics.
AI-Optimised Maintenance Paradigm for Aircraft Systems
Reliability and Health Monitoring of Power Electronics
Twins in Condition Monitoring for Aerospace Systems
IoT based Maintenance and Asset Management
Suresh’s research interest is in Data-Centric Engineering and Digital Twins for Intelligent Systems. Suresh focuses on Sensory Systems, Advanced Reasoners, Artificial Intelligence, Predictive Capabilities and Decision-Making for Intelligent Systems which demonstrate self-health awareness, operational resilience, failure recovery, system re-configurability, and end-of-life prediction. These real-time data-centric smart elements will enable systems to adapt their operations and performance to environments that are complex, rapidly changing, and incompletely understood.
These adaptive intelligent systems will provide health management capability for the aerospace, automotive, rail, infrastructure and energy sectors. Adaptive Intelligent systems for self-health awareness will play an ever-increasing role in the above-mentioned industries, from design to manufacture, through-life engineering and end-of-life disposal of these assets. These Adaptive intelligent systems will also enable industry to realise their Industry 4.0 ambitions.
Suresh has developed data centric engineering concepts in industry-led projects funded by The Boeing Company, Rolls-Royce, Thales, BAE Systems and Meggitt. He is also a principal investigator on the EU-FP7 Rep-AIR project, employing data-centric engineering and digital twin concepts together with Additive Manufacturing to future repair and maintenance for the aerospace industry (https://www.theengineer.co.uk/ten-minutes-with-an-expert-in-additive-manufacturing-for-aircraft-maintenance/).
Suresh, as a principal investigator, has recently received more than half a million pounds in funding from Innovate UK and Airbus for exploring Data-centric Engineering and Digital Twin concepts for Future Landing Gear platforms.
Suresh has developed a data-centric platform for health monitoring of power electronics modules and devices. This platform not only considers real-time information from power electronics modules but also physics-of-failure data, highly-accelerated life test data, and various environmental conditions. Suresh is exploring a ground base data-centric system to provide advance failure warnings for automotive, aerospace, rail, power and energy customers. He is working with The Manufacturing Technology Centre, Ansty, to set up this capability.
Suresh has also received funding from the Northern Territory Government, Australia for developing Cost-Effective Maintenance of Remotely-Operated Hybrid Mini-Grid Systems (http://www.cdu.edu.au/newsroom/renewable-energy-research-development-projects).
Suresh currently also works in DARTeC (https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/centres/digital-aviation-research-and-technology-centre) to advance his Data-Centric Engineering and Digital Twins for Intelligent Systems research for future aviation.
- Thales Group
- Meggitt Systems
- The Boeing Company
- Airbus Group
- Network Rail
- BAE Systems
- Lufthansa Technik AG
- Western Power Distribution
Articles In Journals
- Garza P, Perinpanayagam S, Aslam S & Wileman A (2020) Qualitative validation approach using digital model for the health management of electromechanical actuators, Applied Sciences, 10 (21) Article No. 7809.
- Aslam S, Jennions IK, Samie M, Perinpanayagam S & Fang Y (2020) Ingress of threshold voltage-triggered hardware trojan in the modern FPGA fabric–detection methodology and mitigation, IEEE Access, 8 31371-31397.
- Cubillo A, Uriondo A & Perinpanayagam S (2017) Computational mixed TEHL model and Stribeck curve of a journal bearing, Tribology Transactions, 60 (6) 1053-1062.
- Cubillo A, Vermeulen J, De La Peña M, Casanova I & Perinpanayagam S (2017) Physics-based integrated vehicle health management system for predicting the remaining useful life of an aircraft planetary gear transmission, International Journal of Structural Integrity, 8 (4) 484-495.
- Nel BJ & Perinpanayagam S (2017) A Brief Overview of SiC MOSFET Failure Modes and Design Reliability, Procedia CIRP, 59 280-285.
- Sebastian RK, Perinpanayagam S & Choudhary R (2017) Health management design considerations for an all electric aircraft, Procedia CIRP, 59 102-110.
- Alghassi A, Soulatiantork P, Samie M, Del Pozo AU, Perinpanayagam S & Faifer M (2017) Fault Tolerance Enhance DC-DC Converter Lifetime Extension, Procedia CIRP, 59 268-273.
- Soulatiantork P, Alghassi A, Faifer M & Perinpanayagam S. (2017) IGBT thermal stress reduction using advance control strategy, Procedia CIRP, 59 274-279.
- Portolés L, Jordá O, Jordá L, Uriondo A, Esperon-Migueza M & Perinpanayagam S (2016) A qualification procedure to manufacture and repair aerospace parts with electron beam melting, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 41 65-75.
- Alghassi A, Samie M & Perinpanayagam S (2016) Stochastic RUL calculation enhanced with TDNN-based IGBT failure modeling, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, 65 (2) 558-573.
- Syed WA, Perinpanayagam S, Samie M & Jennions I (2016) A novel intermittent fault detection algorithm and health monitoring for electronic interconnections, IEEE Transactions on Components Packaging and Manufacturing Technology Part A, 6 (3) 400-406.
- Mann JK, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions I (2016) Aging Detection Capability for Switch-Mode Power Converters, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 63 (5) 3216-3227.
- Cubillo A, Perinpanayagam S & Esperon-Miguez M (2016) A review of physics-based models in prognostics: Application to gears and bearings of rotating machinery, Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 8 (8) 1-20.
- Samie M, Motlagh AMS, Alghassi A, Perinpanayagam S & Kapetanios E (2015) Principle of Duality on Prognostics, International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 6 (6) 44-52.
- Alghassi A, Perinpanayagam S, Samie M & Sreenuch T (2015) Computationally efficient, real-time, and embeddable prognostic techniques for power electronics, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 30 (5) 2623-2634.
- Samie M, Perinpanayagam S, Alghassi A & Motlagh AMS (2015) Developing prognostic models using duality principles for DC-to-DC converters, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 30 (5) 2872-2884.
- Uriondo A, Esperon Miguez M & Perinpanayagam S. (2015) The present and future of additive manufacturing in the aerospace sector: A review of important aspects, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 229 (11) 2132-2147.
- Wileman AJ & Perinpanayagam S (2015) Integrated vehicle health management: An approach to dealing with lifetime prediction considerations on relays, Microelectronics Reliability, 55 (9-10) 2165-2171.
- Ahmad SW, Perinpanayagam S, Jennions I & Samie M (2015) A Carrier Signal Approach for Intermittent Fault Detection and Health Monitoring for Electronics Interconnections System, International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 6 (12).
- Samie M, Perinpanayagam S, Alghassi A, Motlagh AMS & Kapetanios E (2014) Developing prognostic models using duality principles for DC-to-DC converters, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 30 (5) 2872-2884.
- Alghassi A, Perinpanayagam S, Samie M & Sreenuch T (2014) Computationally efficient, real-time, and embeddable prognostic techniques for power electronics, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 30 (5) 2623-2634.
- Sreenuch T, Alghassi A, Perinpanayagam S & Xie Y (2014) Probabilistic Monte-Carlo Method for Modelling and Prediction of Electronics Component Life, International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 5 (1) 96-104.
- Walker RB, Vayanat R, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2014) Unbalance localization through machine nonlinearities using an artificial neural network approach, Mechanism and Machine Theory, 75 54-66.
- Ahmad WS, Perinpanayagam S, Jennions I & Khan S (2014) Study on intermittent faults and electrical continuity, Procedia CIRP, 22 71-75.
- Samie M, Dragffy G, Pipe T & Perinpanayagam S (2013) Unicellular self-healing electronic array, Procedia CIRP, 11 400-405.
- Wileman AJ & Perinpanayagam S (2013) Failure mechanisms of radar and RF systems, Procedia CIRP, 11 56-61.
- Wileman AJ & Perinpanayagam S (2013)
Prognostic health management of a RF transceiver chain, Procedia CIRP, 11 266-271.
- Walker RB, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2013)
Rotordynamic Faults: Recent advances in diagnosis and prognosis, International Journal of Rotating Machinery, 2013.
- Syed WA, Khan S, Phillips P & Perinpanayagam P (2013) Intermittent Fault Finding Strategies, Procedia CIRP, 11.
- Syed WA, Khan S, Phillips P & Perinpanayagam S (2013) Intermittent fault finding strategies, Procedia CIRP, 11 74-79.
- Cubillo A & Perinpanayagam S (2016) Challenges of redesigning a planetary transmission to be made by additive manufacturing. In: 14th International Conference on Manufacturing Research (ICMR 2016), Loughborough, 6-8 September 2016.
- Perinpanayagam S. (2016) Prognostics Health Management of Hybrid Powertrains. In: Future Powertrain Conference, The National Motorcycle Museum, Coventry Road, Bickenhill, Solihull, West Midlands. B92 0EJ, 24-25 February 2016.
- Choudhary R, Perinpanayagam S & Butans E (2016) Design and analysis of communication model for implementation of CBM based on OSA-CBM framework. In: 2016 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Yellowstone Conference Center, Big Sky, Montana, 5-12 March 2016.
- Perinpanayagam S (2015) Integrated Vehicle Health Management (IVHM) for Aircraft Electronics/Power Electronics. In: 25th European Symposium on Reliability of Electron Devices, Failure Physics and Analysis, Toulouse, 5-9 October 2015.
- Buddhi Arachchige, Suresh Perinpanayagam & Sreenuch Tarapong (2015) Effect of Uncertainties On the Health Monitoring of Aircraft Engines. In: ASME 2015 Verification and Validation Symposium, Las Vegas, NV, 11-15 May 2015.
- Cubillo A, Perinpanayagam S, Rodriguez M, Collantes I & Vermeulen J. (2015) Physics-Based IVHM Systems for Predicting the RUL of an Aircraft Planetary Gear Transmission. In: 5th EASN Workshop on Aerostructures, Manchester, 2-4 September 2015.
- Alghassi A, Soulatiantork P, Samie M, Perinpanayagam S & Faifer M (2015) Reliability enhance powertrain using fuzzy knowledge base prognostics model. In: 2015 17th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, Geneva, 8-10 September 2015.
- Alghassi A, Soulatiantork P, Samie M, Perinpanayagam S & Faifer M (2015) Relibility enhance powertrain using ANFIS base prognostics model. In: 2015 IEEE Conference on Prognostics and Health Management (PHM), Austin, TX, 22-25 June 2015.
- Choudhary R, Perinpanayagam S & Butans E (2015) IVHM System Integration Network Performance Analysis using different Middleware Technologies and Network Structure. In: ICN 2015, The Fourteenth International Conference on Networks, Barcelona, 19-24 April 2015.
- Samie M, Alghassi A & Perinpanayagam S (2015) Unified IGBT prognostic using natural computation. In: IEEE International Digital Signal Processing (DSP), Singapore, 21-24 July 2015.
- Samie M, Perinpanayagam S, Alghassi A, Motlagh A & Kapetanios E (2014) Reliability enhanced EV using pattern recognition techniques. In: 2014 IEEE International Electric Vehicle Conference (IEVC), Florence, 17-19 December 2014.
- Esperon Miguez M & Perinpanayagam S (2014) Merging Additive Manufacturing and Integrated Vehicle Health Management. In: 9th AIRTEC 2014 International Congress, Frankfurt, 28-30 October 2014.
- Cubillo A, Perinpanayagam S & Esperon Miguez M. (2014) Multiphysics-based Model for Prognostics in a Planetary Transmission. In: Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, Fort Worth, Texas, 29 September - 2 October 2014.
- Samie M, Motlagh AMS, Alghassi A, Perinpanayagam S & Kapetanios E (2014) Realising duality principle for prognostic models. In: The Ninth International Multi-Conference on Computing in the Global Information Technology, Sevilla, 22-26 June 2014.
- Walker RB, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2013) Localizing unbalance faults in rotating machinery. In: ASME Turbo Expo 2013: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, (GT2013), San Antonio, Texas, 3 June 2013.
- Alghassi A, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2013) Prognostic capability evaluation of power electronic modules in transportation electrification and vehicle systems. In: 15th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, 2013 , Lille, 2-6 September 2013.
- Alghassi A, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2013) A simple state-based prognostic model for predicting remaining usefullLife of IGBT power module. In: 15th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, 2013 , Lille, 2-6 September 2013.
- Walker R, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions I (2012) Simulating unbalance for future IVHM applications. In: 30th International Modal Analysis Conference (IMAC) 2012, Jacksonville, FL, 30 January - 2 February 2012.
- Walker R, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2012) Unbalance Localisation using High Fidelity Simulations. In: The Ninth International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies , London, 12 June 2012.
- Walker RB, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2012) Localizing common faults for improved aero engine maintenance. In: ASME 2012 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE2012), Houston, TX, 9-15 November 2012.
- Sirigineedi G, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions IK (2012) Neural network based classification of unbalances in rotating machinery. In: 9th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies 2012 (CM 2012 AND MFPT 2012), London, 12 June 2012.
- Bhambra JK, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions I (2011) Electronic prognostics and health management of aircraft avionics using digital power converters. In: Annual Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society 2011, Montreal, 25 September 2011.
- Bhambra JK, Perinpanayagam S, Taurand C & Peyrat S (2011) Health monitoring of POL converter using digital PWM controller. In: 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Diagnostics for Electric Machines, Power Electronics & Drives, Bologna, 5-8 September 2011.
- Walker R, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions I (2011) Physics-Based Simulation for Health Management of Rotating Machinery. In: 8th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies Conference, Cardiff, 20 June 2011.
- Perinpanayagam S & Ewins DJ (2004) Test strategy for component modal test for model validation. In: Proceedings of ISMA 2004: International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering, Katholieke Univ Leuven, 20-22 September 2004.
- Perinpanayagam S, Robb D, Ewins DJ & Barragan JM (2004) Non-linearities in an aero-engine structure: From test to design. In: Proceedings of the 2004 International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering, ISMA;, Leuven, 20-22 September 2004.
- S. Perinpanayagam & D. J. Ewins (2003) Free-Free, Fixed or Other Test Boundary Conditions for the Best Modal Test?. In: IMAC-XXI: Conference & Exposition on Structural Dynamics, Kissimmee, Florida, 3 February 2003.
- Wileman AJ & Perinpanayagam S A Prognostic Framework For Electromagnetic Relay Contacts. In: 2nd European Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, Nantes, 8 July 2014.
- Portoles L, Jordan O, Jordan L, Uriondo A, Esperon-Miguez M & Perinpanayagam S Additive Manufacturing: Certification in the aircraft market and a qualification procedure for metal parts. In: 5th EASN Conference, Manchester, 2 September 2015.
- Cubillo A, Perinpanayagam S., Rodriguez M, Collantes I & Vermeulen J. (2016) Prognostics Health Management System Based on Hybrid Model to Predict Failures of a Planetary Gear Transmission. In: Machine Learning for Cyber Physical Systems: Selected papers from the International Conference ML4CPS 2015. Niggemann, Oliver, Beyerer, Jürgen (ed.), Berlin: Springer- Verlag, p. 33-44.
- Suresh Perinpanayagam (2013) Sensor, Instrumentation and Signal Processing. In: Integrated Vehicle Health Management: The Technology. Ian K. Jennions (ed.), SAE International, p. 5-25.
- Walker R, Perinpanayagam S & Jennions I. (2012) Simulating Unbalance for Future IVHM Applications. In: Topics in Model Validation and Uncertainty Quantification, Volume 4 Proceedings of the 30th IMAC, A Conference on Structural Dynamics, 2012. T. Simmermacher, S. Cogan, L.G. Horta, R. Barthorpe (ed.), Springer, p. 141-148.