Contact Dr Supriyo Ganguly
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x5054
- Email: email@example.com
Areas of expertise
BackgroundDr Ganguly joined Cranfield University as a lecturer in welding science in 2008. Previously, he has worked as a research fellow in the Manchester Materials Science Centre and Open University working as part of large consortia of industry and academia. In Manchester, he worked in the DEFUSE (Development of Fusion Welding for Wing Primary Structure) programme and in Open University in the KNOO (Keeping Nuclear Options Open) and MUZIC (Mechanistic Understanding of Zirconium Corrosion) projects. In the DEFUSE programme the main work was to characterise the fusion welded aluminium structure and to characterise the loss in strength and how to improve it through microstructural modification through compositional modification of the filler wire composition. In the KNOO and MUZIC projects his main areas of research were standardisation of residual stress measurement using neutron diffraction, understanding creep response in weld metal and heat affected zone of alloys used in high temperature application. The effects of thermal straining due to multi-pass welding were also studied in these programmes.
Dr Ganguly got his PhD thesis in residual stress measurement of welded aerospace alloys using neutron and synchrotron X-ray diffraction process from the Open University in 2004. In his PhD he combined the strain measurement using neutron and synchrotron X-rays to determine the three dimensional stress state in a welded component. It was part of EPSRC sponsored WELDES project .
He graduated from Bengal Engineering College, Calcutta University,now known as Bengal Engineering and Science University (BESU), India, as a metallurgical engineer in 1994. After his graduation he worked in M/s Usha Martin Industries Limited for 3 years and Tata Steel for 7 years as a metallurgist where he worked in iron and steel making, rolling and then as a technologist in the area of product and process development.
Current activitiesHis research explores the options of intelligent applications of laser and arc welding technologies based on the fundamental understanding of material interaction with heat sources. At present, Dr Ganguly's research focuses on the application of laser in joining of dissimilar metallic combinations, towards improving productivity and microstructural and metallurgical modification to create defect free sound joints for structural applications. The creation of functional surface layers and structures using arc and laser based heat sources is also an area of interest.
He is the principal investigator of an EPSRC sponsored project on laser joining of dissimilar metallic materials for advanced structural and engineering and co-investigator in the EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing for Laser-based Production Processes and High Deposition Rate Additive Manufacture of Complex Metal Parts (HiDepAM). He is also working with several industries in transportation, oil and gas, nuclear, aerospace and medical sectors. Other duties are the supervision of 6 PhD students and 2 post-doctoral research fellows.
His present research projects are:
- In the area of joining of dissimilar metallic alloys, where the research aims to understand experimentally the underpinning mechanism of intermetallic formation in fusion welding of different dissimilar metallic alloy combinations and to model the transient thermal field and correlate it with intermetallic formation
- Application of laser arc hybrid process can bring a step change in productivity in structural welding applications. Research is focussed in optimising the application of these two complimentary heat sources for specific industrial benefit
- Laser assisted arc welding is being explored in the extremely specialised area of deep sea dry hyperbaric welding
- Application of local mechanical tensioning and laser processing in multi-pass structural welds
- Application of GTAW and powder/multi-wire based processes to explore development of functional layers and coatings
- Application of spatially resolved laser shock peening to predict fatigue crack propagation in damage tolerant structures
ClientsHis research portfolio contains significant industrial partners in a variety of engineering sectors in UK and Europe and his industrial clientele comes from a variety of areas e.g. surface transportation, oil and gas, nuclear, aerospace and medical appliances. Apart from industries the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) of UK is one of the main sponsor of my research. He is the principal investigator of one running project and co-investigator of two more projects one of which is the EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacture in Laser-based Production Processes. A list of industrial and government clientele is given below:
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Ministry of Defence
- BAE Surface Ship Systems
- Airbus, UK
- Attica Components
- Heerema Marine Corps
- Subsea 7
- Man Diesel and Turbo
- ASD Westok
Articles In Journals
- Marinelli G, Martina F, Ganguly S, Williams S, Lewtas H & Hancock D (2019) Functionally graded structures of refractory metals by Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, Early online.
- Meco S, Ganguly S, Williams S & McPherson (2019) Design of laser welding applied to T joints between steel and aluminium, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 268 (January) 132-139.
- Hönnige J, Colegrove P, Ahmad B, Fitzpatrick M, Ganguly S, Lee T & Williams S (2018) Residual stress and texture control in Ti-6Al-4V wire + arc additively manufactured intersections by stress relief and rolling, Materials and Design, 150 (July) 193-205. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranﬁeld.rd.5849985, http://dx.doi.org/10.17862/cranﬁeld.rd.5849985
- Xu X, Ganguly S, Ding J, Dirisu P, Martina F, Liu X & Williams SW (2018) Improving mechanical properties of wire plus arc additively manufactured maraging steel through plastic deformation enhanced aging response, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, Early online.
- Joesbury AM, Colegrove PA, Van Rymenant P, Ayre DS, Ganguly S & Williams S (2018) Weld-bonded stainless steel to carbon fibre-reinforced plastic joints, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 251 241-250. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.5379748.v1
- Xu X, Ding J, Ganguly S, Diao C & Williams S (2018) Oxide accumulation effects on wire + arc layer-by-layer additive manufacture process, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 252 739-750. Dataset/s: 10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2017.10.030
- Xu X, Ganguly S, Ding J, Huo S, Williams S & Martina F (2018) Microstructural evolution and mechanical properties of maraging steel produced by wire + arc additive manufacture process, Materials Characterization, 143 (September) 152-162.
- Hönnige J, Colegrove P, Ganguly S, Eimer E, Kabra S & Williams S (2018) Control of residual stress and distortion in aluminium wire + arc additive manufacture with rolling, Additive Manufacturing, 22 (August) 775-783.
- Pardal G, Meco S, Dunn A, Williams S, Ganguly S, Hand DP & Wlodarczyk KL (2017) Laser spot welding of laser textured steel to aluminium, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 241 (March) 24-35.
- Meco S, Cozzolino L, Ganguly S, Williams S & McPherson N (2017) Laser welding of steel to aluminium: thermal modelling and joint strength analysis, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 247 (September) 121-133.
- Suder W, Ganguly S, Williams S & Yudodibroto B (2017) Root stability in hybrid laser welding, Journal of Laser Applications, 29 (2) Article No. 022410.
- Coroado J, Meco S, Williams S, Ganguly S, Suder W, Quintino L & Assunção E (2017) Fundamental understanding of the interaction of continuous wave laser with aluminium, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 93 (9-12) 3165-3174.
- Pardal G, Ganguly S, Williams S & Vaja J (2016) Dissimilar metal joining of stainless steel and titanium using copper as transition metal, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 86 (5-8) 1139-1150. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.3468905.v1, 10.17862/cranfield.rd.3468914.v1
- Sule J, Ganguly S, Suder W & Pirling T (2016) Effect of high-pressure rolling followed by laser processing on mechanical properties, microstructure and residual stress distribution in multi-pass welds of 304L stainless steel, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 86 (5-8) 1-12.
- Tremsin AS, Ganguly S, Meco SM, Pardal GR, Shinohara T & Feller WB (2016) Investigation of dissimilar metal welds by energy-resolved neutron imaging, Journal of Applied Crystallography, 49 (4) 1130-1140.
- Ganguly S, Sule J & Yakubu MY (2016) Stress engineering of multi-pass weld metal to enhance structural integrity, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 25 (8) 3238-3244.
- Meco S, Pardal G, Ganguly S, Williams S & McPherson N (2015) Application of laser in seam welding of dissimilar steel to aluminium joints for thick structural components, Optics and Lasers in Engineering, 67 22-30.
- Sule J & Ganguly S (2015) Application of Local Mechanical Tensioning and Laser Processing to Modify the Residual Stress State and Microstructural Features of Multi-Pass HSLA Steel, SAE International Journal of Materials and Manufacturing, 8 (2) 494-502.
- Sule J, Ganguly S, Coules H & Pirling T (2015) Application of local mechanical tensioning and laser processing to refine microstructure and modify residual stress state of a multi-pass 304L austenitic steels welds, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 18 141-150.
- Sule J, Ganguly S, Coules H & Pirling T (2015) Comparative study of evolution of residual stress state by local mechanical tensioning and laser processing of ferritic and austenitic structural steel welds, Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Automation, 5 (1) 33-42.
- Ofem U, Ganguly S, Williams S & Woodward N (2014) Investigation of Thermal Cycle and Metallurgical Characteristics of Hyperbaric Gas Metal Arc Welding, International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, 24 (3) 206-212.
- Ofem U, Ganguly S & Williams S (2014) Evaluation of laser-assisted gas metal arc welding for deep water hyperbaric application, International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, 24 (1) 61-67.
- Pardal G, Meco S, Ganguly S, Williams S & Prangnell P (2014) Dissimilar metal laser spot joining of steel to aluminium in conduction mode, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 73 (1-4) 365-373.
- Ganguly S, Wescott A, Nagy T, Colegrove P & Williams S (2014) Characterisation of residual stress state and distortion in welded plates stress engineered by local mechanical tensioning, Materials Science Forum, 772 187-191.
- Meco S, Ganguly S, Williams S & McPherson N (2014) Effect of laser processing parameters on the formation of intermetallic compounds in Fe-Al dissimilar welding, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 23 (9) 3361-3370.
- Coules HE, Cozzolino LD, Colegrove P, Ganguly S, Wen SW & Pirling T (2013) Neutron diffraction analysis of complete residual stress tensors in conventional and rolled gas metal arc welds, Experimental Mechanics, 53 (2) 195-204.
- Meco S, Pardal G, Ganguly S, Miranda RM, Quintino L & Williams S (2013) Overlap conduction laser welding of aluminium to steel, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 67 (1-4) 647-654.
- Haigh RD, Hutchings MT, James JA, Ganguly S, Mizuno R, Ogawa K, Okido S, Paradowska AM & Fitzpatrick ME (2013) Neutron diffraction residual stress measurements on girth-welded 304 stainless steel pipes with weld metal deposited up to half and full pipe wall thickness, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 101 1-11.
- Coules HE, Cozzolino LD, Colegrove P, Ganguly S, Wen S & Pirling T (2012) Residual strain measurement for arc welding and localised high-pressure rolling using resistance strain gauges and neutron diffraction, Journal of Strain Analysis for Engineering Design, 47 (8) 576-586.
- Coules HE, Colegrove P, Cozzolino LD, Wen SW, Ganguly S & Pirling T (2012) Effect of high pressure rolling on weld-induced residual stresses, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, 17 (5) 394-401.
- Herbst S, Williams S & Ganguly S (2012) A feasibility study on manufacturing of functionally graded structures using SiC ceramic powder in a steel-based matrix by gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW), Steel Research International, 83 (6) 546-553.
- Assuncao E, Ganguly S, Yapp D, Williams S & Paradowska A (2011) Characterisation of residual stress state in laser welded low carbon mild steel plates produced in keyhole and conduction mode, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, 16 (3) 239-243.
- Suder W, Ganguly S, Williams S, Paradowska AM & Colegrove P (2011) Comparison of joining efficiency and residual stresses in laser and laser hybrid welding, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, 16 (3) 244-248.
- Mehnen J, Ganguly S, Almeida P, Williams S, Colegrove P, Wang F & Ding J (2011) Thermo-mechanical analysis of Wire and Arc Additive Layer Manufacturing process on large multi-layer parts, Computational Materials Science, 50 (12) 3315-3322.
- Ganguly S, Edwards L & Fitzpatrick ME (2010) Problems in using a comb sample as a stress-free reference for the determination of welding residual stress by diffraction, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 528 (3) 1226-1232.
- Ganguly S, James JA, Fitzpatrick ME & Tanguy A (2010) Automation of a neutron diffractometer for analysis of residual stress inside complex engineering components, Applied Physics A, 99 (3) 601-606.
- Liljedahl CDM, Brouard J, Zanellato O, Lin J, Tan ML, Ganguly S, Irving PE, Fitzpatrick ME, Zhang X & Edwards L (2009) Weld residual stress effects on fatigue crack growth behaviour of aluminium alloy 2024-T351, International Journal of Fatigue, 31 (6) 1081-1088.
- Ganguly S, Pratihar S, Fitzpatrick ME & Edwards L (2008) Study of residual stress distribution in a stainless steel bead-on-plate simulation benchmark sample, Materials Science Forum, 571-572 367-373.
- Ganguly S, Stelmukh V, Edwards L & Fitzpatrick ME (2008) Analysis of residual stress in metal-inert-gas-welded Al-2024 using neutron and synchrotron X-ray diffraction, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 491 (1-2) 248-257.
- Liljedahl CDM, Tan ML, Zanellato O, Ganguly S, Fitzpatrick ME & Edwards L (2008) Evolution of residual stresses with fatigue loading and subsequent crack growth in a welded aluminium alloy middle tension specimen, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 75 (13) 3881-3894.
- Ganguly S, Fitzpatrick ME & Edwards L (2007) Use of neutron and synchrotron X-ray diffraction for evaluation of residual stresses in a 2024-T351 aluminum alloy variable-polarity plasma-arc weld, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A - Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science, 37 (2) 411-420.
- Pratihar S, Ganguly S, James JA, Fitzpatrick ME & Edward L (2007) Non-destructive determination of the 3D residual stress in a AA7050 upper wing skin-stringer panel using neutron diffraction, Journal of Neutron Research, 15 (3-4) 293-301.
- Steuwer A, Edwards L, Pratihar S, Ganguly S, Peel M, Fitzpatrick ME, Marrow TJ, Withers PJ, Sinclair I, Singh KD, Gao N, Buslaps T & Buffière J-Y (2006) In situ analysis of cracks in structural materials using synchrotron X-ray tomography and diffraction, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, 246 (1) 217-225.
- Lefebvre F, Ganguly S & Sinclair I (2005) Micromechanical aspects of fatigue in a MIG welded aluminium airframe alloy. Part 1. Microstructural characterization, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 397 (1-2) 338-345.
- Ganguly S, Fitzpatrick ME & Edwards L (2005) Comparative neutron and synchrotron X-ray diffraction studies to determine residual stress on an as-welded AA2024 plate, Materials Science Forum, 490-491 223-228.
- Zhang Y, Ganguly S, Edwards L & Fitzpatrick ME (2004) Cross-sectional mapping of residual stresses in a VPPA weld using the contour method, Acta Materialia, 52 (17) 5225-5232.
- Lefebvre F, Serrano G, Ganguly S & Sinclair I (2004) Simulation of fatigue behaviour in fusion welded 2024-T351, Materials Forum, 28 1110-1115.
- Ganguly S, Stelmukh V, Fitzpatrick ME & Edwards L (2004) Use of Neutron and Synchrotron X-ray Diffraction for Non-destructive Evaluation of Weld Residual Stresses in Aluminium Alloys, Journal of Neutron Research, 12 (1-3) 225-231.
- Zhang Y, Ganguly S, Stelmukh V, Fitzpatrick ME & Edwards L (2003) Validation of the Contour Method of Residual Stress Measurement in a MIG 2024 Weld by Neutron and Synchrotron X-ray Diffraction, Journal of Neutron Research, 11 (4) 181-185.
- Stelmukh V, Edwards L & Ganguly S (2003) Full stress tensor determination in a textured aerospace aluminium alloy plate using synchrotron X-ray diffraction, Textures and Microstructures, 35 (3-4) 175-183.
- Stelmukh V, Edwards L, Santisteban JR, Ganguly S & Fitzpatrick ME (2002) Weld stress mapping using neutron and synchrotron X-ray diffraction, Materials Science Forum, 404-407 599-604.
- Ganguly S, Chakrabarti I, Maheshwari MD & Mukherjee T (2002) Ultra clean steel for anti-friction bearing applications, ASTM Special Technical Publication, 1419 47-68.
- Roy MJ, Williams S, Colegrove P, Ganguly S & Hönnige JR (2016) Residual Stress Characterization and Control in the Additive Manufacture of Large Scale Metal Structures. In: International Conference on Residual Stresses (ICRS-10), Sydney, 3-7 July 2016.
- Ganguly S, Suder W, Williams SW & Yudodibroto B (2014) Mixing of filler wire in deep penetration hybrid laser arc welding . In: 67th IIW International Conference, Seoul, 17-18 July 2014.
- Nuruddin I, Ganguly S, Yapp D, Suder W & Williams S (2010) Hybrid laser-arc pipe girth welding. In: The 2nd South-East European IIW International Congress, 2010, Sofia, 21 October 2010.
- Acar M, Gungor S, Ganguly S, Bouchard PJ & Fitzpatrick ME (2009) Variation of mechanical properties in a multi-pass weld measured using digital image correlation. In: 2009 SEM Annual Conference on Experimental Mechanics, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 1 June 2009.
- Ganguly S, Turski M, Fitzpatrick ME, Edwards L, Smith MC & Bouchard PJ (2008) Full field measurement of plastic flow properties in a multi-pass austenitic stainless steel weld specimen. In: ASME 2008 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP 2008), Chicago, Illinois, 27-31 July 2008.
- Lin J, Ganguly Supriyo, Edwards L & Irving Phil E (2003) The Effects of Residual Stress and HAZ on Fatigue Crack Growth in MIG Welded 2024 and 7150 Aluminium.
- Assuncao DE, Ganguly S, Yapp D & Williams S Conduction mode: broadening the range of applications for laser welding. In: International Conference on Advances in Welding Science and Technology for Construction, Energy and Transportation (AWST 2010), Istanbul, 11 July 2010.