Contact Dr Stuart Wagland
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x2404
- Email: email@example.com
- Linkedin: http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/stuart-wagland/3/5b6/556/
Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Energy and the Environment
- Renewable Energy
- Waste Management & Resource Efficiency
Dr Wagland is an experienced waste management professional, applying his background in chemistry to understanding waste characteristics, developing novel analysis techniques and recovering value from waste materials. He has a PhD in waste chemistry from Cranfield University and his other degrees include a BSc (Hons) in Chemistry and an MSc in Display Technology (physics, chemistry and electronic engineering).
Dr Wagland is a Chartered Chemist, a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry, and a Fellow of the Higher Education Association. Since commencing his academic career, Dr Wagland has also obtained a PgCert in Academic Practice.
Dr Wagland joined Cranfield in 2009 as a Research Fellow, progressing to Academic Fellow in 2011, Lecturer in 2012 and Senior Lecturer in 2017. He established the MSc Energy from Waste course, accredited by the Chartered Institute for Waste Management.
Dr Wagland has expertise in the properties of solid waste materials, the recovery of resources, the energy potential of UK waste streams and enhanced landfill mining. His expertise spans waste and fuel characterisation techniques, waste treatment technologies and energy recovery processes (including anaerobic digestion, incineration, gasification and pyrolysis). Dr Wagland’s work on UK-wide assessment of waste contributed to substantial government investment in a demonstrator advanced thermal treatment facility aimed at accelerating the development of the UK capability in advanced thermal conversion.
Dr Wagland is currently a Senior Lecturer in Energy and Environmental Chemistry, based in the Centre for Climate and Environmental Protection, and the Course Director for the MSc Energy from Waste course.
Current projects include those funded by EU Horizon 2020, Innovate UK, the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and private waste companies. Dr Wagland’s research applies the concept of waste characterisation to develop town-scale advanced thermal treatment of wastes. This work extends to developing countries and is included in a current Innovate UK project to derive liquid fuels from the pyrolysis of wastes. Dr Wagland is currently working to develop image analysis techniques to be applied to mixed wastes to assess fuel properties.
Combining expertise in waste chemistry, characterisation techniques and conversion processes, Dr Wagland is also working on critical resource recovery from enhanced landfill mining. This work is funded through the EPSRC (doctoral training programme) and EU Horizon 2020 projects, including SMART GROUND and the NEW MINE Marie Curie training network.
Dr Wagland is a steering committee member of the European Enhanced Landfill Mining Consortium (EURELCO), which has a membership of over 50 organisations from across the EU.
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Department of Energy and Climate Change [DECC]
- Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs [Defra]
- Energy Technologies Institute [ETI]
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council [EPSRC]
- Innovate UK
- National Physical Laboratory [NPL]
- Syngas Products
Articles In Journals
- Zhang J, Fidalgo B, Wagland S, Shen D, Zhang X & Gu S (2019) Deoxygenation in anisole decomposition over bimetallic catalysts supported on HZSM-5, Fuel, 238 (February) 257-266.
- Vrancken C, Longhurst P & Wagland S (2019) Deep learning in material recovery: development of method to create training database, Expert Systems with Applications, 125 (July) 268-280.
- Darabkhani HG, Jurado N, Prpich G, Oakey JE, Wagland ST & Anthony EJ (2018) Design, process simulation and construction of a 100 kW pilot-scale CO2 membrane rig: improving in situ CO2 capture using selective exhaust gas recirculation (S-EGR), Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 50 (February) 128-138.
- Sarkka H, Karrtinen T, Hannus E, Hirvonen S, Valjus T, Lerssi J, Dino GA, Rossetti P, Griffiths Z, Wagland ST & Coulon F (2018) Investigation of municipal solid waste (MSW) and industrial landfills as a potential source of secondary raw materials, Detritus, 1 (March) 83-90.
- Canopoli L, Fidalgo B, Coulon F & Wagland ST (2018) Physico-chemical properties of excavated plastic from landfill mining and current recycling routes, Waste Management, Early online.
- Pastre G, Griffiths Z, Val J, Tasiu AM, Camacho-Dominguez V, Wagland S & Coulon F (2018) A decision support tool for enhanced landfill mining, Detritus, 1 91-101.
- Jurado N, Somorin T, Kolios AJ, Wagland S, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2018) Design and commissioning of a multi-mode prototype for thermochemical conversion of human faeces, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 507-524.
- Dino GA, Rossetti P, Perotti L, Alberto W, Sarkka H, Coulon F, Stuart W, Griffiths Z & Rodeghiero F (2018) Landfill mining from extractive waste facilities: The importance of a correct site characterisation and evaluation of the potentialities. A case study from Italy, Resources Policy, 59 (December) 50-61.
- Al-Badri S, Jiang Y & Wagland S (2018) Possible interactions and interferences of copper, chromium, and arsenic during the gasification of contaminated waste wood, Energies, 11 (8) Article No. 1966.
- Frank RR, Cipullo S, Garcia J, Davies S, Wagland ST, Villa R, Trois C & Coulon F (2017) Compositional and physicochemical changes in waste materials and biogas production across 7 landfill sites in UK, Waste Management, 63 (May) 11-17.
- Vrancken C, Longhurst PJ & Wagland ST (2017) Critical review of real-time methods for solid waste characterisation: Informing material recovery and fuel production, Waste Management, 61 (March) 40-57.
- García J, Davies S, Villa R, Gomes DM, Coulon F & Wagland ST (2016) Compositional analysis of excavated landfill samples and the determination of residual biogas potential of the organic fraction, Waste Management, 55 (September) 336-344.
- Onabanjo T, Patchigolla K, Wagland S, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Energy recovery from human faeces via gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium modelling approach, Energy Conversion and Management, 118 364-376.
- Wagland S & Martins Gomes D (2016) No longer a wasted opportunity, Materials Recycling World 25-25.
- Frank RR, Davies S, Wagland ST, Villa R, Trois C & Coulon F (2016) Evaluating leachate recirculation with cellulase addition to enhance waste biostabilisation and landfill gas production, Waste Management, 55 (September) 61-70.
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Dino GA, Rossetti P, Biglia G, Coulon F, Gomes D, Wagland S, Luste S, Särkkä H, Ver C, Delafeld M & Pizza A (2016) SMART GROUND Project: SMART Data Collection and Integration Platform to Enhance Availability and Accessibility of Data and Information in the EU Territory on Secondary Raw Materials, Energy Procedia, 97 15-22.
- Cook E, Wagland S & Coulon F (2015) Investigation into the non-biological outputs of mechanical-biological treatment facilities, Waste Management, 46 (December) 212-226.
- Peddireddy S, Longhurst PJ & Wagland ST (2015) Characterising the composition of waste-derived fuels using a novel image analysis tool, Waste Management, 40 9-13.
- Emkes H, Coulon F & Wagland S (2015) A decision support tool for landfill methane generation and gas collection, Waste Management, 43 307-318.
- Phillips KJ, Longhurst PJ & Wagland ST (2014) Assessing the perception and reality of arguments against thermal waste treatment plants in terms of property prices, Waste Management, 34 (1) 219-225.
- Velis CA, Wagland S, Longhurst P, Robson B, Sinfield K, Wise S & Pollard S (2013) Response to comment on "solid recovered fuel: Materials flow analysis and fuel property development during the mechanical processing of biodried waste", Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (24) 14535-14536.
- Velis CA, Wagland S, Longhurst P, Robson B, Sinfield K, Wise S & Pollard S (2013) Solid Recovered Fuel: Materials Flow Analysis and Fuel Property Development during the Mechanical Processing of Biodried Waste., Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (6) 2957-2965.
- Wagland ST, Dudley R, Naftaly M & Longhurst PJ (2013) Determination of renewable energy yield from mixed waste material from the use of novel image analysis methods, Waste Management, 33 (11) 2449-2456.
- Wagland ST, Veltre F & Longhurst PJ (2012) Development of an image-based analysis method to determine the physical composition of a mixed waste material, Waste Management, 32 (2) 245-248.
- Velis C, Wagland S, Longhurst P, Robson B, Sinfield K, Wise S & Pollard S (2012) Solid Recovered Fuel: Influence of Waste Stream Composition and Processing on Chlorine Content and Fuel Quality., Environmental Science and Technology, 46 (3) 1923-1931.
- Wagland ST, Kilgallon P, Coveney R, Garg A, Smith R, Longhurst PJ, Pollard SJ & Simms N (2011) Comparison of coal/solid recovered fuel (SRF) with coal/refuse derived fuel (RDF) in a fluidised bed reactor., Waste Management, 31 (6) 1176-1183.
- Black I, Seaton R, Chackiath S, Wagland ST, Pollard SJT & Longhurst PJ (2011) The 'bankability' of the new waste technologies: an econometric method for risk sharing in private finance waste contracts, Environmental Technology, 32 (15) 1699-1707.
- Wagland ST, Godley AR & Tyrrel SF (2011) Investigation of the application of an enzyme-based biodegradability test method to a municipal solid waste biodrying process, Waste Management, 31 (7) 1467-1471.
- Wagland ST, Tyrrel SF, Godley AR & Smith R (2009) Test methods to aid in the evaluation of the diversion of biodegradable municipal waste (BMW) from landfill., Waste Management, 29 (3) 1218-1226.
- Wagland ST, Godley AR, Frederickson J, Tyrrel SF & Smith R (2008) Comparison of a novel enzymatic biodegradability test method with microbial degradation methods, Communications in Waste and Resource Management, 9 (3) 80-86.
- Wilson SL, Cranton WM, Ranson R, Koutsogeorgis DC, Mosley A, Thomas CB, Boutaud G, Wagland S, Mastio EA, Lipiec S, Spiller A, Scott J & Stoute S (2005) Optimization of the electrical and optical properties of ink-jet-printed SnO(2):Sb using thermal annealing and excimer-laser processing, SID International Symposium. Digest of Technical Papers, 36 (1) 530-533.
- Dino GA, Rossetti P, Lorenzi A, Mister I, Cazzaniga A, Coulon F, Griffiths Z & Wagland S (2018) Exploiting secondary raw materials from extractive waste facilities: a case study. In: 4th International Symposium On Enhanced Landfill Mining, Mechelen, 5-6 February 2018.
- Al-Badri SB, Jiang Y & Wagland ST (2018) Interactions and interferences of Cu, Cr and As during contaminated waste wood gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium study. In: 9th International Renewable Energy Congress (IREC 2018), Hammamet, 20-22 March 2018.
- Canopoli L, Fidalgo B & Wagland ST (2018) Characterisation of excavated plastics for thermochemical upcycling to platform chemicals and liquid fuels. In: 4th International Symposium On Enhanced Landfill Mining, Mechelen, 5-6 February 2018.
- Al-Badri S, Jiang Y & Wagland ST (2018) Reduce toxic emissions of As, Cr, and Cu phases during woody biomass gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium study. In: 5th International Conference on Environment and Renewable Energy (ICERE 2018), Vienna, 18-19 May 2018.
- Jurado N, Harradine M, Gomm S, Anthony EJ & Wagland ST (2017) Prediction of syngas composition from pyrolysis of waste-derived feedstocks in the UK using Aspen Plus. In: 8th International Conference on Clean Coal Technologies, Cagliari, 8-12 May 2017.
- Särkkä H, Kaartinen T, Hannus E, Hirvonen S, Valjus T, Lerssi J, Dino GA, Piergiorgio R, Griffiths Z, Wagland S & Coulon F (2017) Assessing the opportunities of landfill mining as a source of critical raw materials in Europe. In: 16th International waste management and landfill symposium: Sardinia 2017, Sardinia, 2-6 October 2017.
- Wagland ST & Longhurst PJ (2012) Monitoring of renewable energy yield of mixed wastes by image analysis of input residual waste materials. In: 4th International Symposium on Energy from Biomass and Waste, 2012, San Servolo, Venice, 12-15 November 2012.
- Wagland ST, Smith R, Godley AR, Tyrrel SF & Blakey N (2008) The development of a novel biodegradability test method based on the enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose. In: Waste 2008 Conference: Waste and Resource Management - A Shared Responsibility, Stratford-upon-Avon, 16 September 2008.
- Wagland ST, Smith R, Godley AR, Tyrrel SF & Blakey N (2007) Development and application of an Enzymatic Hydrolysis test to assess the biodegradability of organic waste material. In: 11th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, 2007 (Sardinia 2007), S. Margherita di Pula, Cagliari, 1 October 2007.