Contact Dr Stuart Wagland
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x2404
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Linkedin: http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/stuart-wagland/3/5b6/556/
Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Energy and the Environment
- Renewable Energy
- Waste Management & Resource Efficiency
Stuart is an experienced waste management professional, applying his background in chemistry to understanding waste characteristics, developing novel analysis techniques and recovering value from waste materials. He has a PhD in waste chemistry from Cranfield University, obtained in 2008. His other degrees include BSc (Hons) in Chemistry and an MSc in Display Technology (physics, chemistry and electronic engineering). He is a Chartered Chemist [CChem], a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry [RSC]. Since commencing his academic career Stuart has obtained a Postgraduate Certificate [PgCert] in Academic Practice and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Association [HEA].
Stuart joined Cranfield in 2009 as a Research Fellow, progressing to Academic Fellow in 2011, Lecturer in 2012 and Senior Lecturer in 2017.
Dr Stuart Wagland is currently a Senior Lecturer in Energy and Environmental Chemistry, based in the Bioenergy and Resource Management Centre at Cranfield University. He is also the Technical Manager for the Energy and Power theme and the Course Director for the MSc Energy from Waste course.
He has expertise in the properties of solid waste materials, such as the composition, recovery of resources, the energy potential of UK waste streams and enhanced landfill mining. His expertise spans waste and fuel characterisation techniques, waste treatment technologies and energy recovery processes (including anaerobic digestion, incineration, gasification and pyrolysis). His work on UK-wide assessment of waste contributed to substantial government investment in a demonstrator advanced thermal treatment facility, which is aimed at accelerating the development of the UK capability in advanced thermal conversion.
Current projects include those funded by EU Horizon 2020, Innovate UK, the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council [EPSRC] and private waste companies. His research applies the concept of waste characterisation to develop town-scale advanced thermal treatment of wastes. This work extends to developing countries, which is included in a current Innovate UK project to derive liquid fuels from the pyrolysis of wastes. He is currently working to develop image analysis techniques to be applied to mixed wastes to assess fuel properties.
Combining expertise in waste chemistry, characterisation techniques and conversion processes he is working on critical resource recovery from enhanced landfill mining. This work is funded through EPSRC (doctoral training programme) and EU Horizon 2020 projects including SMART GROUND and the NEW MINE Marie Curie training network.
He is a steering committee member of the European Enhanced Landfill Mining Consortium [EURELCO], which has a membership of over 50 organisations from across the EU.
He established the MSc Energy from Waste course, accredited by the Chartered Institute for Waste Management [CIWM]. He is directly involved with the management of various taught modules and delivers lectures across a number of MSc courses along with the supervision of research students across a range of industry-relevant topics.
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Department of Energy and Climate Change [DECC]
- Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs [Defra]
- Energy Technologies Institute [ETI]
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council [EPSRC]
- Innovate UK
- National Physical Laboratory [NPL]
- Syngas Products
Articles In Journals
- Jurado N, Somorin T, Kolios AJ, Wagland S, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L & Tyrrel S (2018) Design and commissioning of a multi-mode prototype for thermochemical conversion of human faeces, Energy Conversion and Management, 163 507-524.
- Pastre G, Griffiths Z, Val J, Tasiu AM, Camacho-Dominguez V, Wagland S & Coulon F (2018) A decision support tool for enhanced landfill mining, Detritus, 1 91-101.
- Canopoli L, Fidalgo B, Coulon F & Wagland ST (2018) Physico-chemical properties of excavated plastic from landfill mining and current recycling routes, Waste Management, Early online.
- Sarkka H, Karrtinen T, Hannus E, Hirvonen S, Valjus T, Lerssi J, Dino GA, Rossetti P, Griffiths Z, Wagland ST & Coulon F (2018) Investigation of municipal solid waste (MSW) and industrial landfills as a potential source of secondary raw materials, Detritus, 1 83-90.
- Darabkhani HG, Jurado N, Prpich G, Oakey JE, Wagland ST & Anthony EJ (2018) Design, process simulation and construction of a 100 kW pilot-scale CO2 membrane rig: improving in situ CO2 capture using selective exhaust gas recirculation (S-EGR), Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 50 (February) 128-138.
- Vrancken C, Longhurst PJ & Wagland ST (2017) Critical review of real-time methods for solid waste characterisation: Informing material recovery and fuel production, Waste Management, 61 (March) 40-57.
- Frank RR, Cipullo S, Garcia J, Davies S, Wagland ST, Villa R, Trois C & Coulon F (2017) Compositional and physicochemical changes in waste materials and biogas production across 7 landfill sites in UK, Waste Management, 63 (May) 11-17.
- Dino GA, Rossetti P, Biglia G, Coulon F, Gomes D, Wagland S, Luste S, Särkkä H, Ver C, Delafeld M & Pizza A (2016) SMART GROUND Project: SMART Data Collection and Integration Platform to Enhance Availability and Accessibility of Data and Information in the EU Territory on Secondary Raw Materials, Energy Procedia, 97 15-22.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Frank RR, Davies S, Wagland ST, Villa R, Trois C & Coulon F (2016) Evaluating leachate recirculation with cellulase addition to enhance waste biostabilisation and landfill gas production, Waste Management, 55 (September) 61-70.
- Wagland S & Martins Gomes D (2016) No longer a wasted opportunity, Materials Recycling World 25-25.
- Onabanjo T, Patchigolla K, Wagland S, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Energy recovery from human faeces via gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium modelling approach, Energy Conversion and Management, 118 364-376.
- García J, Davies S, Villa R, Gomes DM, Coulon F & Wagland ST (2016) Compositional analysis of excavated landfill samples and the determination of residual biogas potential of the organic fraction, Waste Management, 55 (September) 336-344.
- Emkes H, Coulon F & Wagland S (2015) A decision support tool for landfill methane generation and gas collection, Waste Management, 43 307-318.
- Peddireddy S, Longhurst PJ & Wagland ST (2015) Characterising the composition of waste-derived fuels using a novel image analysis tool, Waste Management, 40 9-13.
- Cook E, Wagland S & Coulon F (2015) Investigation into the non-biological outputs of mechanical-biological treatment facilities, Waste Management, 46 (December) 212-226.
- Phillips KJ, Longhurst PJ & Wagland ST (2014) Assessing the perception and reality of arguments against thermal waste treatment plants in terms of property prices, Waste Management, 34 (1) 219-225.
- Wagland ST, Dudley R, Naftaly M & Longhurst PJ (2013) Determination of renewable energy yield from mixed waste material from the use of novel image analysis methods, Waste Management, 33 (11) 2449-2456.
- Velis CA, Wagland S, Longhurst P, Robson B, Sinfield K, Wise S & Pollard S (2013) Response to comment on "solid recovered fuel: Materials flow analysis and fuel property development during the mechanical processing of biodried waste", Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (24) 14535-14536.
- Velis CA, Wagland S, Longhurst P, Robson B, Sinfield K, Wise S & Pollard S (2013) Solid Recovered Fuel: Materials Flow Analysis and Fuel Property Development during the Mechanical Processing of Biodried Waste., Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (6) 2957-2965.
- Wagland ST, Veltre F & Longhurst PJ (2012) Development of an image-based analysis method to determine the physical composition of a mixed waste material, Waste Management, 32 (2) 245-248.
- Velis C, Wagland S, Longhurst P, Robson B, Sinfield K, Wise S & Pollard S (2012) Solid Recovered Fuel: Influence of Waste Stream Composition and Processing on Chlorine Content and Fuel Quality., Environmental Science and Technology, 46 (3) 1923-1931.
- Wagland ST, Godley AR & Tyrrel SF (2011) Investigation of the application of an enzyme-based biodegradability test method to a municipal solid waste biodrying process, Waste Management, 31 (7) 1467-1471.
- Black I, Seaton R, Chackiath S, Wagland ST, Pollard SJT & Longhurst PJ (2011) The 'bankability' of the new waste technologies: an econometric method for risk sharing in private finance waste contracts, Environmental Technology, 32 (15) 1699-1707.
- Wagland ST, Kilgallon P, Coveney R, Garg A, Smith R, Longhurst PJ, Pollard SJ & Simms N (2011) Comparison of coal/solid recovered fuel (SRF) with coal/refuse derived fuel (RDF) in a fluidised bed reactor., Waste Management, 31 (6) 1176-1183.
- Wagland ST, Godley AR & Tyrrel SF (2011) Investigation of the application of an enzyme–based biodegradability test method to a municipal solid waste biodrying process, Waste Management, 31 (7) 1467-1471.
- Wagland ST, Tyrrel SF, Godley AR & Smith R (2009) Test methods to aid in the evaluation of the diversion of biodegradable municipal waste (BMW) from landfill., Waste Management, 29 (3) 1218-1226.
- Wagland ST, Godley AR, Frederickson J, Tyrrel SF & Smith R (2008) Comparison of a novel enzymatic biodegradability test method with microbial degradation methods, Communications in Waste and Resource Management, 9 (3) 80-86.
- Wilson SL, Cranton WM, Ranson R, Koutsogeorgis DC, Mosley A, Thomas CB, Boutaud G, Wagland S, Mastio EA, Lipiec S, Spiller A, Scott J & Stoute S (2005) Optimization of the electrical and optical properties of ink-jet-printed SnO(2):Sb using thermal annealing and excimer-laser processing, SID International Symposium. Digest of Technical Papers, 36 (1) 530-533.
- Särkkä H, Kaartinen T, Hannus E, Hirvonen S, Valjus T, Lerssi J, Dino GA, Piergiorgio R, Griffiths Z, Wagland S & Coulon F (2017) Assessing the opportunities of landfill mining as a source of critical raw materials in Europe. In: 16th International waste management and landfill symposium: Sardinia 2017, Sardinia, 2-6 October 2017.
- Jurado N, Harradine M, Gomm S, Anthony EJ & Wagland ST (2017) Prediction of syngas composition from pyrolysis of waste-derived feedstocks in the UK using Aspen Plus. In: 8th International Conference on Clean Coal Technologies, Cagliari, 8-12 May 2017.
- Wagland ST & Longhurst PJ (2012) Monitoring of renewable energy yield of mixed wastes by image analysis of input residual waste materials. In: 4th International Symposium on Energy from Biomass and Waste, 2012, San Servolo, Venice, 12-15 November 2012.
- Wagland ST, Smith R, Godley AR, Tyrrel SF & Blakey N (2008) The development of a novel biodegradability test method based on the enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose. In: Waste 2008 Conference: Waste and Resource Management - A Shared Responsibility, Stratford-upon-Avon, 16 September 2008.
- Wagland ST, Smith R, Godley AR, Tyrrel SF & Blakey N (2007) Development and application of an Enzymatic Hydrolysis test to assess the biodegradability of organic waste material. In: 11th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, 2007 (Sardinia 2007), S. Margherita di Pula, Cagliari, 1 October 2007.