Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Carbon, Climate and Risk
- Energy and the Environment
- Renewable Energy
- Waste Management & Resource Efficiency
Stuart joined Cranfield University in 2009 and is currently a Lecturer in Renewable Energy from Waste. He has a degree in Chemistry, which was followed up with a PhD from Cranfield University in Environmental Chemistry.
He is a Chartered Chemist [CChem], a member of the Royal Society of Chemistry [RSC]. He was a member of the Environmental Chemistry Group committee for the Royal Society of Chemistry from 2012-2014, during which time he organised 2x annual 'Distinguished Guest Lecturer' symposia on the topics of rare earth elements and plastics in the marine environment.
Stuart has interests in the properties of solid waste materials, which range from household waste to commercial and industrial wastes, and has significant expertise in the properties and characterisation of waste materials. He has previously specialised in the measurement of the biodegradable content of organic waste and was involved in the development of a rapid biodegradability test method at Cranfield University.
To date he has supervised over 60 research students (MSc and PhD) to completion.
Dr Stuart Wagland is a Lecturer in Renewable Energy from Waste at Cranfield University.
He has interests in the properties of solid waste materials, such as the composition, recovery of resources, the energy potential of UK waste streams and enhanced landfill mining. Current projects include those funded by EU Horizon 2020, Innovate UK and the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council [EPSRC]. His expertise spans waste and fuel characterisation techniques, waste treatment technologies and energy recovery processes (including anaerobic digestion, incineration, gasification and pyrolysis).
He is a steering committee member of the European Enhanced Landfill Mining Consortium [EURELCO], which has a membership of over 50 organisations from across the EU. Through this involvement he was part of the organising committee for the 3rd Enhanced Landfill Mining Symposium, hosted in Lisbon in February 2016.
He established the MSc Energy from Waste course, accredited by the Chartered Institute for Waste Management [CIWM], and is the current Course Director. He is directly involved with the management of various taught modules and delivers lectures across a number of MSc courses along with the supervision of research students across a range of industry-relevant topics.
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Department of Energy and Climate Change [DECC]
- Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs [Defra]
- EDF energy
- Energy Technologies Institute [ETI]
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council [EPSRC]
- European Institute for Energy Research [EIfER]
- Innovate UK (formerly the Technology Strategy Board [TSB])
- Infinis Ltd
- Milton Keynes Council
- National Physical Laboratory [NPL]
- The Open University
- WRc plc
Articles In Journals
- Frank RR, Cipullo S, Garcia J, Davies S, Wagland ST, Villa R, Trois C & Coulon F (2017) Compositional and physicochemical changes in waste materials and biogas production across 7 landfill sites in UK, Waste Management, 63 (May) 11-17.
- Vrancken C, Longhurst PJ & Wagland ST (2017) Critical review of real-time methods for solid waste characterisation: Informing material recovery and fuel production, Waste Management, 61 40-57.
- García J, Davies S, Villa R, Gomes DM, Coulon F & Wagland ST (2016) Compositional analysis of excavated landfill samples and the determination of residual biogas potential of the organic fraction, Waste Management, 55 (September) 336-344.
- Onabanjo T, Patchigolla K, Wagland S, Fidalgo B, Kolios A, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Energy recovery from human faeces via gasification: A thermodynamic equilibrium modelling approach, Energy Conversion and Management, 118 364-376.
- Wagland S & Martins Gomes D (2016) No longer a wasted opportunity, Materials Recycling World 25-25.
- Frank RR, Davies S, Wagland ST, Villa R, Trois C & Coulon F (2016) Evaluating leachate recirculation with cellulase addition to enhance waste biostabilisation and landfill gas production, Waste Management, 55 (September) 61-70.
- Onabanjo T, Kolios A, Patchigolla K, Wagland ST, Fidalgo B, Jurado N, Hanak DP, Manovic V, Parker A, McAdam E, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) An experimental investigation of the combustion performance of human faeces, Fuel, 184 (November) 780-791.
- Hanak DP, Kolios A, Onabanjo T, Wagland ST, Patchigolla K, Fidalgo B, Manovic V, McAdam E, Parker A, Williams L, Tyrrel S & Cartmell E (2016) Conceptual energy and water recovery system for self-sustained nano membrane toilet, Energy Conversion and Management, 126 352-361.
- Dino GA, Rossetti P, Biglia G, Coulon F, Gomes D, Wagland S, Luste S, Särkkä H, Ver C, Delafeld M & Pizza A (2016) SMART GROUND Project: SMART Data Collection and Integration Platform to Enhance Availability and Accessibility of Data and Information in the EU Territory on Secondary Raw Materials, Energy Procedia, 97 15-22.
- Cook E, Wagland S & Coulon F (2015) Investigation into the non-biological outputs of mechanical-biological treatment facilities, Waste Management, 46 (December) 212-226.
- Peddireddy S, Longhurst PJ & Wagland ST (2015) Characterising the composition of waste-derived fuels using a novel image analysis tool, Waste Management, 40 9-13.
- Emkes H, Coulon F & Wagland S (2015) A decision support tool for landfill methane generation and gas collection, Waste Management, 43 307-318.
- Phillips KJ, Longhurst PJ & Wagland ST (2014) Assessing the perception and reality of arguments against thermal waste treatment plants in terms of property prices, Waste Management, 34 (1) 219-225.
- Velis CA, Wagland S, Longhurst P, Robson B, Sinfield K, Wise S & Pollard S Response to comment on "solid recovered fuel: Materials flow analysis and fuel property development during the mechanical processing of biodried waste", Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (24) 14535-14536.
- Velis CA, Wagland S, Longhurst P, Robson B, Sinfield K, Wise S & Pollard S (2013) Solid Recovered Fuel: Materials Flow Analysis and Fuel Property Development during the Mechanical Processing of Biodried Waste., Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (6) 2957-2965.
- Wagland ST, Dudley R, Naftaly M & Longhurst PJ (2013) Determination of renewable energy yield from mixed waste material from the use of novel image analysis methods, Waste Management, 33 (11) 2449-2456.
- Wagland ST, Veltre F & Longhurst PJ (2012) Development of an image-based analysis method to determine the physical composition of a mixed waste material, Waste Management, 32 (2) 245-248.
- Velis C, Wagland S, Longhurst P, Robson B, Sinfield K, Wise S & Pollard S (2012) Solid Recovered Fuel: Influence of Waste Stream Composition and Processing on Chlorine Content and Fuel Quality., Environmental Science and Technology, 46 (3) 1923-1931.
- Wagland ST, Kilgallon P, Coveney R, Garg A, Smith R, Longhurst PJ, Pollard SJ & Simms N (2011) Comparison of coal/solid recovered fuel (SRF) with coal/refuse derived fuel (RDF) in a fluidised bed reactor., Waste Management, 31 (6) 1176-1183.
- Wagland ST, Godley AR & Tyrrel SF (2011) Investigation of the application of an enzyme–based biodegradability test method to a municipal solid waste biodrying process, Waste Management, 31 (7) 1467-1471.
- Black I, Seaton R, Chackiath S, Wagland ST, Pollard SJT & Longhurst PJ (2011) The 'bankability' of the new waste technologies: an econometric method for risk sharing in private finance waste contracts, Environmental Technology, 32 (15) 1699-1707.
- Wagland ST, Godley AR & Tyrrel SF (2011) Investigation of the application of an enzyme-based biodegradability test method to a municipal solid waste biodrying process, Waste Management, 31 (7) 1467-1471.
- Wagland ST, Tyrrel SF, Godley AR & Smith R (2009) Test methods to aid in the evaluation of the diversion of biodegradable municipal waste (BMW) from landfill., Waste Management, 29 (3) 1218-1226.
- Wagland ST, Godley AR, Frederickson J, Tyrrel SF & Smith R (2008) Comparison of a novel enzymatic biodegradability test method with microbial degradation methods, Communications in Waste and Resource Management, 9 (3) 80-86.
- Wilson SL, Cranton WM, Ranson R, Koutsogeorgis DC, Mosley A, Thomas CB, Boutaud G, Wagland S, Mastio EA, Lipiec S, Spiller A, Scott J & Stoute S (2005) Optimization of the electrical and optical properties of ink-jet-printed SnO(2):Sb using thermal annealing and excimer-laser processing, Digest of Technical Papers, 36 (1) 530-533.
- Jurado N, Harradine M, Gomm S, Anthony EJ & Wagland ST (2017) Prediction of syngas composition from pyrolysis of waste-derived feedstocks in the UK using Aspen Plus. In: 8th International Conference on Clean Coal Technologies, Cagliari, 8-12 May 2017.
- Wagland ST, Smith R, Godley AR, Tyrrel SF & Blakey N (2008) The development of a novel biodegradability test method based on the enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose. In: Waste 2008 Conference: Waste and Resource Management - A Shared Responsibility, Stratford-upon-Avon, 16 September 2008.
- Wagland ST, Smith R, Godley AR, Tyrrel SF & Blakey N (2007) Development and application of an Enzymatic Hydrolysis test to assess the biodegradability of organic waste material. In: 11th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, 2007 (Sardinia 2007), S. Margherita di Pula, Cagliari, 1 October 2007.