Contact Dr Steve Barker
- Tel: +44 (0) 1793 785492
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Defence Systems Engineering
Dr Barker holds a BSc (Hons) in Computer Studies, and a Ph.D in Effective Manufacturing Engineering. He currently focuses on Education and Scholarship activities, and has a track record in developing and managing courses and exploring how to structure teaching practice such that it maximises the learning experience for students. Previously, Dr Barker had several years experience working within the aerospace sector, primarily with BAE SYSTEMS, to analyse and improve management and manufacturing systems and engineering processes. Dr Barker also has experience of working with organisations in non-defence sectors, including Xerox, Panasonic, Rolls-Royce, Caterpillar, RM, and various small manufacturing enterprises. Dr Barker has expertise and experience in the fields of Engineering design and its management, Through-life capability development, requirements definition and management, Sustainable business approaches to environmental change, the development and application of process improvement criteria, and the analysis of constraints upon business processes. Dr Barker has worked as consultant in these areas on a number of occasions, and utilises that experience to improve teaching practice across a number of courses and modules.
Dr Barker is a Lecturer in Systems Engineering having joined Cranfield in October 2007. Dr Barker was initially responsible for co-ordination of research activities in through life systems management as part of a major joint research programme partly sponsored by BAE SYSTEMS, before taking up the position of lecturer. At Shrivenham, Dr Barker is a contributor to a number of courses, and is the Course Director for the Systems Engineering for Defence Capability, Defence Acquisition Management, and Systems Engineering MSc courses. Additionally, Dr Barker manages a number of modules across these, and other, courses.
Dr Barker has been Short Course Director within the Centre for Systems Engineering, and has had responsibility for leading Systems Engineering, Defence Acquisition, and Engineering Skills Development short courses.
- UK MOD/DE&S
- BAE Systems
Articles In Journals
- Smith JD & Barker S (2020) Methods to measure and track population perception and support within a manual wargame, Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation, Available online 15th October 2020.
- Guenov MD & Barker SG (2006) An Integrated Approach to Customer Elicitation for the Aerospace Sector, Systems Engineering, 9 (1) 62-72.
- Guenov MD & Barker SG (2005) Application of Axiomatic Design and Design Structure Matrix to the Decomposition of Engineering Systemshttps://cris.cranfield.ac.uk/converis/mypages/edit/Publication/25915/default, Systems Engineering, 8 (1) 29-40.
- Smith JD & Barker SD (2019) Training and education in defence wargaming. In: International Conference on Military Operational research (ISMOR) 2018, Royal Holloway, London, 17-20 July 2018.
- Ferris TLJ & Barker S (2017) System scenario selection method for faster analysis. In: 27th Annual INCOSE International Symposium, 2017, Adelaide, 15-20 July 2017.
- Summers MP & Barker SG (2017) On the resilience of systems of systems. In: 2017 IEEE International Systems Conference (SysCon 2017), Montreal, 24-27 April 2017.
- Ferris TJ, Barker SG, Adcock & RD (2016) Scenario selection method for system scenario analysis. In: INCOSE UK Annual Systems Engineering Conference, Warwick, 15-16 November 2016.
- Barker SG & Summers MP (2015) Robust Decision Making for Agile Systems Development Part 1: Exploring the Paradigm. In: 9th International Conference on Axiomatic Design - ICAD 2015, Florence, 16-18 September 2015.
- Barker SG, Summers & MP (2015) Robust Decision Making for Agile Systems Development Part 2: A Decomposition and Analysis. In: 9th International Conference on Axiomatic Design - ICAD 2015, Florence, 16-18 September 2015.
- Mackley T, Barker S, John P & Deane J (2009) Developing agile systems for systems of systems in a network enabled environment. In: INCOSE 2009 : 19th Annual International Symposium of INCOSE & 3rd Asia-Pacific Conference on Systems Engineering, Republic of Singapore, 20-23 July 2009.
- Mackley TC, Barker SG & John P (2008) Concepts of Agility in Network Enabled Capability. In: Realising Network Enabled Connectivity (RNEC) conference 2008, Leeds, 10 November 2008.
- Barker SG & King AM (2007) Coherent Design Rationale and its importance to the Remanufacturing Sector. In: 14th CIRP International Conference on Life Cycle Environment conference, Tokyo, 11 June 2007.
- Barker SG & King AM (2007) Organising Reuse: Managing the Process of Design For Remanufacture (DFR). In: Production and Operation Management Society (POMS) 18th Annual Conference, Dallas, TX, 4 May 2007.
- King AM & Barker SG (2007) Using the Delphi Technique to establish a robust research agenda for Remanufacturing. In: 14th CIRP International Conference on Life Cycle Environment conference, Tokyo, 11-13 June 2007.
- King AM & Barker SG (2007) Designing for remanufacturing/continuous upgrade: understanding and overcoming the technical design challenges. In: Production and Operation Management Society (POMS) 18th Annual Conference, Dallas, TX, 4 May 2007.
- Barker SG & King AM (2006) The development of a Remanufacturing Design Platform Model (RDPM): applying design platform principles to extend remanufacturing practice into new industrial sectors. In: 13th CIRP International Conference on Life Cycle Environment conference, Leuven, 30 May 2006.
- Barker SG & Guenov MD (2004) Toward the implementation of a tool for the informing of design decision making in the process of Requirements-driven Design Decomposition. In: 6th Cambridge DSM Workshop, Cambridge, UK, 12th – 14th September 2004 , Cambridge, 12 September 2004.
- Guenov MD & Barker SG (2004) Requirements-Driven Design Decomposition: A Method For Exploring Complex System Architecture. In: ASME 2004 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, Salt Lake, UT, 28 September - 2 October 2004.
- Barker SG & Guenov MD (2003) The process of Requirements-driven Design decomposition: A case study example. In: 5th Cambridge DSM Workshop, Cambridge, UK, 22nd - 23rd October 2003, Cambridge, 22 October 2003.
- Barker SG & Hendry LC (2002) Change Management and Process Improvement In BAE SYSTEMS. In: European Operations Management Association (EurOMA) 9th Annual International Conference, Copenhagen, 15 February 2005.
- Barker SG & Hendry LC (1999) Implementing world class manufacturing engineering within the aerospace industry: A British Aerospace example. In: EurOMA International Conference, Venice, 7 July 1999.
- Barker SG (1997) Critical evaluation of Jackson Structured Design (JSD) using the NIMSAD framework. In: 5th International Conference of the British Computer Society Information Systems Methodologies Specialist Group, Preston, 27 August 1997.
- Hearne P, Schweighart C, Barker SG & Clare P (1997) Exploring the issues involved in the teaching and learning of Soft Systems Methodology (SSM): An SSM study. In: 5th International Conference of the British Computer Society Information Systems Methodologies Specialist Group, Preston, 27 August 1997.