Areas of expertise
Steve's academic training is in mathematics and experimental physics (Cambridge University, 1st class), then ecological physics (instrumentation and atmospheric physics; Cranfield Institute of Technology).
Research projects have included international field campaigns in US and Europe, involving ground-based and airborne measurement systems to study insect migration, land-surface / atmosphere interactions, and remote sensing. He has extensive practical experience including electronics, signal processing, field experiments and satellite payloads.
Qualifications include membership of professional societies in physics, meteorology and remote sensing.
Steve has been involved in teaching space engineering subjects at postgraduate level for over 20 years, with experience running the MSc in Astronautics and Space Engineering as well as doctoral research student supervision. He is a fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
He was funded by the Royal Academy of Engineering for an Industry Secondment to Astrium, and works as the UK representative for design engineering to the ISO committee for Space Systems and Operations (ISO TC20/SC14).
Academic interests / expertise include:
- Space system engineering
- Measurement physics and signal processing - especially for space sensor systems such as radar
- Radar and Earth observation applications
- Environmental applications - land surface and atmosphere in particular.
Current research projects:
- Geosynchronous synthetic aperture radar (GEO SAR)
- Sustainable space - space debris mitigation and remediation
- Low-cost de-orbit systems for small satellites (e.g. TechDemoSat-1 and ESA's ESEO mission).
His research sponsors include:
- UK research councils
- European Union
- European Space Agency
- BNSC / UK Space Agency
- Royal Society
- US Department of Agriculture
- UK space industry: SSTL, NPA Fugro, EADS Astrium
Articles In Journals
- Andra Baduge A, Henschel M, Hobbs S, Buehler S, Ekman J & Lehrbass B (2016) Seasonal variation of coherence in SAR interferograms in Kiruna, Northern Sweden, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 37 (2) 370-387.
- Llop JV, Roberts PCE, Palmer K, Hobbs S & Kingston J (2015) Descending Sun-Synchronous Orbits with Aerodynamic Inclination Correction, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 38 (5) 831-842.
- Kingston J, Hobbs S, Roberts P, Juanes-Vallejo C, Robinson F, Sewell R, Snapir B, Llop J & Patel M (2015) Use of CYPRES™ cutters with a Kevlar clamp band for hold-down and release of the Icarus De-Orbit Sail payload on TechDemoSat-1, Acta Astronautica, 100 (1) 82-93.
- Snapir B, Hobbs S & Waine TW (2014) Roughness measurements over an agricultural soil surface with Structure from Motion, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 96 210-223.
- Hobbs S, Mitchell C, Forte B, Holley R, Snapir B & Whittaker P (2014) System design for geosynchronous synthetic aperture radar missions, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 52 (12) 7750-7763.
- Rajbansi B, Sarkar U & Hobbs SE (2014) Hazardous odor markers from sewage wastewater: A step towards simultaneous assessment, dearomatization and removal, Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 45 (4) 1549-1557.
- Mukherjee R, Sarkar U & Hobbs SE (2012) Source areas for a passively diffusing methane gas from South Asian paddy fields using the Flux Footprint Model, Atmospheric Research, 104-105 154-163.
- Sheng W & Hobbs SE (2011) Research on compensation of motion, Earth curvature and tropospheric delay in GEOSAR, Acta Astronautica, 68 (11-12) 2005-2011.
- Hobbs Stephen (2010) Disposal orbits for GEO spacecraft: A method for evaluating the orbit height distributions resulting from implementing IADC guidelines, Advances in Space Research, 45 (8) 1042-1049.
- Bruno D & Hobbs SE (2010) Radar imaging from geosynchronous orbit:temporal decorrelation aspects, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 48 (7) 2924-2929.
- Hobbs S (2008) Database of individual wheat plant motion in wind: Application to radar imaging of vegetation, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 148 (11) 1860-1868.
- Hobbs Stephen, Seynat Cedric & Matakidis Panos (2007) Videogrammetry: A practical method for measuring vegetation motion in wind demonstrated on wheat., Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 143 (3-4) 242-251.
- Hobbs SE & Aldhous AC (2006)
Insect ventral radar cross-section polarisation dependence measurements for radar entomology, IEE Proceedings Radar Sonar and Navigation, 153 (6) 502-508.
- Bruno D, Hobbs SE & Ottavianelli G (2006) Geosynchronous synthetic aperture radar: Concept design, properties and possible applications, Acta Astronautica, 59 (1-5) 149-156.
- Hobbs SE, Sarkar U & Longhurst PJ (2003) Community modelling: a tool for correlating estimates of exposure with perception of odour from municipal solid waste (MSW) landfills, Journal of Environmental Management, 68 (2) 133-140.
- Sarkar U & Hobbs SE (2003) Landfill odour: Assessment of emissions by the flux footprint method, Environmental Modelling and Software, 18 (2) 155-163.
- Sarkar U, Hobbs SE & Longhurst P (2003) Dispersion of odour: a case study with a municipal solid waste landfill site in North London, United Kingdom, Journal of Environmental Management, 68 (2) 153-160.
- Hobbs Stephen, Dyer David, Courault Dominique, Olioso Albert, Lagouarde Jean-Pierre, Kerr Yann, Mcaneney John & Bonnefond Jean (2002) Surface layer profiles of air temperature and humidity measured from unmanned aircraft, Agronomie, 22 (6) 635-640.
- Sarkar U & Hobbs SE (2002) Odour from municipal solid waste (MSW) landfills: A study on the analysis of perception, Environment International, 27 (8) 655-662.
- Hobbs SE, Longhurst P, Sarkar U & Sneath RW (2000) Comparison of dispersion models for assessing odour from municipal solid wastes., Waste Management and Research, 18 (5) 420-428.
- Lee SH, Le Dilosquer M, Singh R, Hobbs SE, Giannakopoulos C, Plantevin PH, Law KS, Pyle JA & Rycroft MJ (1997) Implications of NOy emissions from subsonic aircraft at cruise altitude, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 211 (3) 157-168.
- Hobbs SE & Wolf WW (1996) Developments in airborne entomological radar, Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 13 (1) 58-61.
- Thomas G, Hobbs SE & Dufour M (1996) Woodland area estimation by spectral mixing: Applying a goodness-of-fit solution method, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 17 (2) 291-301.
- Hobbs SE (1994) Calibration and performance evaluation of a lightweight propellor anemometer for micrometeorological research, Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 68 (3) 259-273.
- Hobbs SE & Hodges G (1993) An optical method for automatic classification and recording of a suction trap catch, Bulletin of Entomological Research, 83 (1) 47-51.
- Hobbs SE (1991) A radar signal processor for biological applications, Measurement Science and Technology, 2 (5) 415-418.
- Hobbs SE (1990) Kite performance measurements in natural wind, Aeronautical Journal -New Series-, 94 (932) 59-66.
- Hobbs SE & Wolf WW (1989) An airborne radar technique for studying insect migration, Bulletin of Entomological Research, 79 (4) 693-704.
- Hobbs SE (1989) Kite measurements in the boundary layer, Wind Engineering, 13 (2) 50-60.
- Hobbs S, Convenevole C, Guarnieri AM & Wadge G (2016) Geostare system performance assessment methodology. In: 2016 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Beijing, 10-15 July 2016.
- Hobbs S, Guarnieri AM, Wadge G & Schulz D (2014) GeoSTARe initial mission design. In: 2014 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Quebec, 13-18 July 2014.
- Kingston JC, Hobbs SE & Roberts PCE (2008) Satellite in-orbit servicing concepts. In: 59th International Astronautical Congress, Glasgow, 29 September 2009.
- Roberts Peter C E, Bowling Tom & Hobbs Stephen (2005) MUSTANG: A Technology demonstrator for formation flying and distributed systems technologies in space.
- Ottavianelli G, Hobbs SE, Smith R & Bruno D (2005) The application of space-borne remote sensing for landfill management. In: Waste Minimisation & Resource Efficiency: The Role of Physics, Institute of Physics, London, 23 March 2005.
- Ottavianelli G, Hobbs SE, Smith R & Bruno D (2005) Assessment of SAR data and interferometric products for solid waste landfill management. In: RSPSoc Annual Conference 2005 - Measuring, Mapping and Managing a Hazardous World, Portsmouth, UK, 6 September 2005.
- Ottavianelli G, Hobbs SE, Smith R & Bruno D (2005) Earth observation for solid waste landfill management. In: 56th International Astronautical Congress, Fukuoka, Japan, 17 October 2005.
- Bruno D, Hobbs SE & Ottavianelli G (2005)
Geosynchronous synthetic aperture radar: Concept design, properties and possible applications. In: 56th International Astronautical Congress, Fukuoka, Japan, 17 October 2005.
- Lecuyot Arnaud, Hobbs Stephen & Honstvet Ian (2004) Simulation of rigidly-linked nanosatellites.
- Hobbs Stephen (2004) Dynamics and control issues for future multistatic spaceborne radars.
- Bruno D & Hobbs S (2004) Effect of atmospheric noise on SAR interferometry for DEM generation. In: 55th International Astronautical Congress, Vancouver, 4 October 2004.
- Andrews F, Hobbs SE, Honstvet I & Snelling M (2004) Fundamental physical limits for the size of future planetary surface exploration systems. In: 37th ESLAB Symposium - Tools and Technologies for Future Planetary Exploration, Noordwijk, 2 December 2003.
- (2006) Proceedings of 7th Conference on the Dynamics and Control of Systems and Structures in Space..
- Ottavianelli G, Hobbs S, Smith R & Bruno D (2005) Assessment of hyperspectral and SAR remote sensing for solid waste landfill management, p. 103-110.
- (2004) Proceedings of 6th Conference on Dynamics and Control of Systems and Structures in Space..