Contact Dr Sonia Martins Meco
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x5051
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Welding and Laser Processing
Dr Sonia Martins Meco has a Master degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Instituto Supreior Técnico, Portugal.
- Joining of dissimilar metals
- Laser processing (welding, cutting, marking)
- Additive Manufacturing - Wire plus Arc Additive Manufacturing (WAAM) and Laser plus Arc Additive Manufacturing (LWAM)
Sonia works as a senior research fellow in laser processing and is the project manager of "NEw Wire Additive Manufacturing" (NEWAM) research programme. Its primary goal is the development of the next generation of Additive Manufacturing. New processes and materials will be developed within the scope of the programme for the manufacturing of large scale components with the following characteristics:
- Reduced lead time and cost due to high deposition rates used and net shape components.
- mechanical strength equal or superior to the wrought material.
ClientsBAE Systems, SPI Lasers, Crown Packaging
Articles In Journals
- Rato Rafael Coroado J, Coroado J, Ganguly S, Williams S, Suder W, Martins Meco S & Rodrigues Pardal G (2022) Comparison of continuous and pulsed wave lasers in keyhole welding of stainless‑steel to aluminium, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 119 (1-2) 367-387.
- Coroado J, Williams S, Suder W, Ganguly S, Meco S & Pardal G (2022) New phenomenological model for comparison of lasers with different temporal outputs, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 120 (9-10) 6107-6123.
- Coroado J, Ganguly S, Suder W, Williams S, Meco S & Pardal G (2021) Selection of parameters in nanosecond pulsed wave laser micro-welding, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 115 (9-10) 2929-2944.
- Coroado JR, Ganguly S, Suder WJ, Williams S, Meco S & Pardal G (2020) Selection of processing parameters in laser microwelding. Part 1: Continuous wave (CW) mode, Lasers in Engineering, 46 (5-6) 265-284.
- Banat D, Ganguly S, Meco S & Harrison P (2020) Application of high power pulsed nanosecond fibre lasers in processing ultra-thin aluminium foils, Optics and Lasers in Engineering, 129 (June) Article No. 106075.
- Gao Q, Meco S, Wang K, Zhou Q, Guo S & Ganguly S (2019) Investigation of latest generation pulsed fiber laser in dissimilar joining of Al and Mg alloys, Chinese Optics Letters, 16 (6) Article No. 061401.
- Meco S, Ganguly S, Williams S & McPherson (2019) Design of laser welding applied to T joints between steel and aluminium, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 268 (January) 132-139.
- Meco S (2017) Expert Laser System: Practical application for keyhole welding, The Laser User (85, Summer 2017) 30-31.
- Coroado J, Meco S, Williams S, Ganguly S, Suder W, Quintino L & Assunção E (2017) Fundamental understanding of the interaction of continuous wave laser with aluminium, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 93 (9-12) 3165-3174.
- Meco S, Cozzolino L, Ganguly S, Williams S & McPherson N (2017) Laser welding of steel to aluminium: thermal modelling and joint strength analysis, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 247 (September) 121-133.
- Pardal G, Meco S, Dunn A, Williams S, Ganguly S, Hand DP & Wlodarczyk KL (2017) Laser spot welding of laser textured steel to aluminium, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 241 (March) 24-35.
- Tremsin AS, Ganguly S, Meco SM, Pardal GR, Shinohara T & Feller WB (2016) Investigation of dissimilar metal welds by energy-resolved neutron imaging, Journal of Applied Crystallography, 49 (4) 1130-1140.
- Meco S, Williams S & Eiroa D (2016) Laser cutting of AA2024 aluminium alloy for aeropsace industry: How fibre lasers can be used to mitigate crack formation, The Laser User (81, Summer 2016).
- Meco S, Pardal G, Ganguly S, Williams S & McPherson N (2015) Application of laser in seam welding of dissimilar steel to aluminium joints for thick structural components, Optics and Lasers in Engineering, 67 (April) 22-30.
- Pardal G, Meco S, Ganguly S, Williams S & Prangnell P (2014) Dissimilar metal laser spot joining of steel to aluminium in conduction mode, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 73 (1-4) 365-373.
- Meco S, Ganguly S, Williams S & McPherson N (2014) Effect of laser processing parameters on the formation of intermetallic compounds in Fe-Al dissimilar welding, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 23 (9) 3361-3370.
- Meco S, Pardal G, Ganguly S, Miranda RM, Quintino L & Williams S (2013) Overlap conduction laser welding of aluminium to steel, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 67 (1-4) 647-654.
- Meco S, Pardal G, Ganguly S & Williams S (2013) Dissimilar metal joining using a 8kW fibre laser, The Laser User (30, Autumn 2013).
- Meco S, Pardal G, Eder A & Quintino L (2013) Software development for prediction of the weld bead in CMT and pulsed-MAG processes, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 64 (1-4) 171-178.