Contact Dr Simon Place
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754235
- Email: C.S.Place@cranfield.ac.uk
Areas of expertise
BackgroundAfter graduating from Loughborough University in Engineering Science & Technology, Simon served as an RAF Engineer Officer in the Communications/ Electronics field. He studied for a Master's degree in Flight Dynamics at Cranfield in 1994-95, and carried out his thesis at Delft University (Netherlands) under the ERASMUS exchange scheme. There followed a period as a software engineer at Goodrich Aerospace, after which he returned to Cranfield. The 3-year research project to develop methods for the safety assessment & reliability prediction of helicopter transmission systems formed the basis of Simon's PhD thesis. He then worked for an engineering consultancy, where he spent 4 years in safety & reliability assessment on the West Coast Route Modernisation project for Network Rail and Virgin Trains.
In 2004 he returned as a Lecturer in Air Transport Engineering, keen to teach and do research in the fields of aircraft systems, safety and risk assessment and maintenance management. He is a Chartered Engineer and Member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers.
Current activitiesSenior Lecturer in the Safety & Accident Investigation Centre and Course Director for the MSc in Airworthiness.
Responsible for modules in Airworthiness, Safety Assessment of Aircraft Systems, Air Transport Engineering and Practical Reliability.
Research interests cover safety & risk assessment, and reliability analysis in the transport sector, including maintenance human factors.
- Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department
- Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
- Raytheon Systems Ltd
- Royal Netherlands Air Force
- Singapore International Airlines Engineering Company
- STM Aerospace (Turkey)
- UK Ministry of Defence
Articles In Journals
- Rashid HSJ, Place CS, Mba D, Lim R, Healey A, Kleine-Beek W & Romano M (2015) Reliability Model for Helicopter Main Gearbox Lubrication System using Influence Diagrams, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 139 50-57.
- Rashid HSJ, Place CS, Mba D, Lim R, Healey A, Kleine-Beek W & Romano M. (2015) Helicopter MGB oil system failure analysis using influence diagrams and random failure probabilities, Engineering Failure Analysis, 50 7-19.
- Rashid H, Place S & Braithwaite G (2014) Eradicating root causes of aviation maintenance errors: introducing the AMMP, Cognition, Technology and Work, 16 (1) 71-90.
- Rashid HSJ, Place CS & Braithwaite GR (2013) Investigating the investigations: a retrospective study in the aviation maintenance error causation
, Cognition, Technology and Work, 15 (2) 171-188.
- Rashid HSJ, Place CS & Braithwaite GR (2010) Helicopter maintenance error analysis: Beyond the third order of the HFACS-ME, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 40 (6) 636-647.
- Place CS, Strutt JE, Allsopp K, Irving PE & Trille C (1999) Reliability prediction of helicopter transmission systems using stress-strength interference with underlying damage accumulation, Quality and Reliability Engineering International, 15 (2) 69-78.
- Rashid HSJ, Place CS & Braithwaite GR A proposal for an Aviation Maintenance Safety Monitoring Process, Safety Science.