Areas of expertise
BackgroundAfter graduating from Loughborough University in Engineering Science & Technology, Simon served as an RAF Engineer Officer in the Communications/ Electronics field. He studied for a Master's degree in Flight Dynamics at Cranfield in 1994-95, and carried out his thesis at Delft University (Netherlands) under the ERASMUS exchange scheme. There followed a period as a software engineer at Goodrich Aerospace, after which he returned to Cranfield. The 3-year research project to develop methods for the safety assessment & reliability prediction of helicopter transmission systems formed the basis of Simon's PhD thesis. He then worked for an engineering consultancy, where he spent 4 years in safety & reliability assessment on the West Coast Route Modernisation project for Network Rail and Virgin Trains.
In 2004 he returned as a Lecturer in Air Transport Engineering, keen to teach and do research in the fields of aircraft systems, safety and risk assessment and maintenance management. He is a Chartered Engineer and Member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers.
Current activitiesSenior Lecturer in the Safety & Accident Investigation Centre and Programme Director for MSc courses (Airworthiness; Safety & Human Factors in Aviation; Safety & Accident Investigation)
Responsible for modules in Airworthiness Fundamentals, Safety Assessment of Aircraft Systems and Practical Reliability.
Research interests cover safety & risk assessment, and reliability analysis in the transport sector, including maintenance human factors.
- Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department
- Hong Kong Institution of Engineers
- Raytheon Systems Ltd
- Royal Netherlands Air Force
- Singapore International Airlines Engineering Company
- STM Aerospace (Turkey)
- UK Ministry of Defence
Articles In Journals
- Rashid HSJ, Place CS, Mba D, Lim R, Healey A, Kleine-Beek W & Romano M (2015) Reliability Model for Helicopter Main Gearbox Lubrication System using Influence Diagrams, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 139 50-57.
- Rashid HSJ, Place CS, Mba D, Lim R, Healey A, Kleine-Beek W & Romano M. (2015) Helicopter MGB oil system failure analysis using influence diagrams and random failure probabilities, Engineering Failure Analysis, 50 7-19.
- Rashid H, Place S & Braithwaite G (2014) Eradicating root causes of aviation maintenance errors: introducing the AMMP, Cognition, Technology and Work, 16 (1) 71-90.
- Rashid HSJ, Place CS & Braithwaite GR (2013) Investigating the investigations: a retrospective study in the aviation maintenance error causation
, Cognition, Technology and Work, 15 (2) 171-188.
- Rashid HSJ, Place CS & Braithwaite GR (2010) Helicopter maintenance error analysis: Beyond the third order of the HFACS-ME, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 40 (6) 636-647.
- Place CS, Strutt JE, Allsopp K, Irving PE & Trille C (1999) Reliability prediction of helicopter transmission systems using stress-strength interference with underlying damage accumulation, Quality and Reliability Engineering International, 15 (2) 69-78.
- Rashid HSJ, Place CS & Braithwaite GR A proposal for an Aviation Maintenance Safety Monitoring Process, Safety Science.