Areas of expertise
- Aerospace Manufacturing
- Industrial Automation
- Industrial Ergonomics and Human Factors
Dr. Seemal Asif has over 12 years of experience in research development and delivery in the field of Automation, Robotics, and Systems Integration. Dr Asif is the Co-Investigator on a £1.3 million EPSRC-funded project (EP/V051180/1, ‘Reconfigurable robotics for responsive manufacture - R3M’), a £4.8 million EPSRC-funded Made Smarter Innovation Project (EP/V062158/1) and ATI-funded Airbus project for Module -Positioning (AutoRamp; TRL: 5-7). I currently co-manage these projects from Cranfield University (CU) side and look after the research deliverables, providing research direction to Research Assistants, horizontally collaborating with research partners and developing the architecture for systems. The projects require collaboration and communication between academic and industry partners including Airbus, Rolls Royce, Spirit Aero and GKN.
Dr Asif has been involved in several projects sponsored by Airbus, EPSRC and Innovate UK. She has been instrumental in setting up the Human-robot Interaction for gesture control. One of her research projects focuses on the Relatime Error Correction and Compensation for the Industrial Robots on an open Network. She has an interest in Swarm Intelligence and Hybrid communication. Her work for assembly and automation has been recognised and respected widely.
She has completed her Ph.D. in Robotics and Intelligent Automations at Cranfield University. Seemal received her MSc Software Engineering from the University of York in 2010 and then joined the Intelligent Automation group at the Centre for Structures, Assembly, and Intelligent Automation at Cranfield University as a Research Fellow. Seemal has worked for 4 years in the software engineering industry in an institutional environment where she had the opportunity to research supportive tools for the University. During this time, she worked on multiple projects at various levels from developer to project manager.
She is interested in researching automation, robotics, intelligent automation, machine learning, artificial intelligence, software engineering, formal methods, and control theory. Being naturally inclined towards academia, she finished her MSc Computer Science in 2009 and obtained Eureka Scholarship for the MSc Software Engineering in York. She is a gold medallist for both her Undergrad and Masters.
As part of Cranfield University, she developed the Flexible Cell Coordinator (FLEXA). Flexa was the Seventh Framework Programme (FP7) project with the involvement of companies like Volvo Aero, Rolls-Royce, Avio, MTU (Germany), etc. She teaches and supervises MSc and PhD students in Robotics, Machine Learning, and IoT and Artificial Intelligence.
She is registered as a Chartered Engineer (CEng) by British Engineering Council and recognized as a Fellow of the British Higher Education Academy (FHEA) in the UK and a member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET).
MSc by research and PhD opportunities are available in the following main areas:
- Imitation Learning
- Intelligent Robotic Hand
- Automated Robotic Welding
- Robotic inspection in confined spaces
- Robot Swarm Communication Network – A Heterogeneous system
- Applied AI and Machine Learning
If you are interested in any of those topics or you may have your own idea, please first discuss with Dr Seemal Asif (email@example.com) email to arrange the time.
Students are normally expected to identify their own source of funding, e.g. self-funding, an employer, or a nationally-funded scholarship. From time to time, we have funding for PhD scholarships - we always advertise these at https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/research/phd?Keyword=&Theme=aerospace
- Machine Learning
- Internet of Things
- System Integration
- Artificial Intelligence
- IoT 4.0 and 5.0
- Human-Robot Integration
- Intelligent automation
- Software Engineering, Design and Architecture
- Machine Vision and Image Processing
- Formal Methods
- Mikel B. Viso (2023-2029)
- Emmanuel Izuwa (2023-2029)
- Fahad Khan (2023-2029)
- Sami Alanazi (2022-2025)
- Shifan Li (2020-2023)
- Irene Bernardino Sanchez (2022-23)
- Jingjing Huang (2022-23)
- Hugo Marmonier (2022-23)
- Jiaqi Li (2021-22)
- Angelos DIMAKOS (2020-21)
- Ashish JAISWAL (2020-21)
- Zhengwei JIN (2020-21)
- Lalitha ORUGANTI (2020-21)
- Daniel WOODHALL (2020-21)
- Robert Zoumboulis-Airey (2020-21)
- Ohima Agans-oliha (2020-21)
- Daniella Alvarado (2019-20)
- Sensor-Based Object Detection and Localisation for Robot Manipulator
- Sensor-Based Object Tracking and Real-time Localisation for Robot Manipulator
- FOD Detection and Prevention on Single Aisle Aircraft
- Framework for a Flexible and Reconfigurable Robot Cell design
- A Framework for Flexible Metrology System for Product Assembly
- Model to predict Human Emotion for Adaptive and Smart Human Robot Collaboration in Automation and Manufacturing
- Deep Fake its Detection and Societal impacts
- Detecting Anomaly Traffic in IoT with Low Computation Overhead by Machine Learning Techniques
- Artificial Robotic hand for customising applications
- Framework of Robotic GMAW Process in Simulation
- Framework for Robot Swarm Communication Network – A Heterogeneous system
- Navigating in an unmapped environment with automatic obstacle avoidance
- Imitation Learning for performing a task
- Automated robotic welding station
- Application of different Machine Learning techniques on a Robot to enable multi-purposeness
- A Framework for Controlling Multiple Industrial Robots using Mobile Applications
- Imitation Learning of Bionic Hand
- Robotics Control
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning
- Signal Analysis
- Group Project - Applications of Computational Engineering Design (MSc CSTE - Computer Vision)
- Seventh Framework Programme (FP7) project with the involvement of companies such as Volvo Aero, Rolls-Royce, Avio and MTU (Germany).
- EPSRC Centre of Intelligent Automation.
- Research collaboration with Wootzano Ltd and HayBeeSee
Articles In Journals
- Asif S & Webb P (2023) Managing delays for realtime error correction and compensation of an industrial robot in an open network, Machines, 11 (9) Article No. 863.
- Asif S & Webb P (2022) Realtime calibration of an industrial robot, Applied System Innovation, 5 (5) Article No. 96.
- Dimakos A, Woodhall D & Asif S (2021) A study on centralised and decentralised swarm robotics architecture for part delivery system, Academic Journal of Engineering Studies, 2 (3).
- Alvarado D & Asif S (2021) A framework for controlling multiple industrial robots using mobile applications, International Journal of Mechatronics and Automotive Research, 3 (1) 13-18.
- Asif S & Webb P (2021) Kinematics analysis of 6-DoF articulated robot with spherical wrist, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2021 Article No. 6647035.
- Asif S & Webb P (2016) Enhanced cell controller for aerospace manufacturing, Advances in Robotics & Automation, 5 (2) Article No. 1000147.
- Asif S & Webb P (2016) Contactless medium scale industrial robot collaboration, Advances in Robotics & Automation, 5:145.
- Tang G, Asif S & Webb P (2015) The Integration of Contactless Static Pose Recognition and Dynamic Hand Motion Tracking Control System for Industrial Human and Robot Collaboration, Industrial Robot: An International Journal, 42 (5) 416-428.
- Webb P, Asif S, Hogger S, Kosche T & Kiernan P (2015) Advanced flexible automation cell control for aerospace manufacturing, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, 87 (2) 156-164.
- Asif S & Webb P (2015) Software System Integration - Middleware - An Overview, International Journal of Computer Applications, 121 (5) 27-29.
- Asif S & Webb P (2015) Networked control system – an overview, International Journal of Computer Applications, 115 (6) 26-30.
- Asif S & Muhammad Aslam (2010) FMSIND: A Framework of Multi-Agent Systems Interaction during Natural Disaster, American Journal of Science, 6 (5) 217-224.
- Alanazi S & Asif S (2023) Understanding deepfakes: a comprehensive analysis of creation, generation, and detection. In: 14th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics 2023, and Affiliated Conferences, San Francisco, 20-24 July 2023.
- Khan F, Asif S & Webb P (2023) Communication components for Human Intention Prediction – a survey. In: 14th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics 2023, and Affiliated Conferences, San Francisco, 20-24 July 2023.
- Asif S (2022) Cost effective welding system by using AR3 robot. In: 2022 2nd International Conference on Digital Futures and Transformative Technologies (ICoDT2), Rawalpindi, 24-26 May 2022.
- Seemal Asif & Phil Webb (2013) An improved cell controller for the aerospace manufacturing. In: Advances in manufacturing technology XXVII : proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, 2013, Cranfield, 19 September 2013.
- Asif S & Webb P (2012) Advanced flexible automation cell. In: 6th European Aeronautics Days, Madrid, 30 March - 1 April 2011.
- Seemal Asif (2010) Translating the TID Station into Perfect : Poster. In: VSTTE 2010 Verified Software: Theories, Tools and Experiments, Edinburgh, Scotland, 16 August 2010.