Contact Dr Saurav Goel
Areas of expertise
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Precision Engineering
- Smart Materials
- Surface Engineering
- Sustainable Manufacturing
- Welding and Laser Processing
Dr Goel studied his undergraduate in India Doctorate (PhD) degree in the UK and has industrial experience of working in India’s largest Construction Conglomerate Larsen and Toubro Limited for three years. Dr Goel has completed Chartered Engineering from IMechE and is a research affiliate of the biggest Manufacturing Society, CIRP and EUSPEN. Before moving to Cranfield as a Lecturer, Dr Goel, worked at Queen’s University Belfast.
Dr Goel is Course Director and coordinator of the only Centre in the UK on Doctoral Training (CDT) in Ultra-Precision Engineering together with the “University of Cambridge” funded by UK’s apex funding council “EPSRC” (www.ultraprecision.org). Dr Goel has delivered a short crash course on the topic “Ultra-precision engineering” at Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, under the initiative of “GIAN” funded by Ministry of Human Resources, Government of India.
Dr Goel’s experience both in simulations and in applied research supported by respectable track record (~1000 citations with an h-index of ~25) on i) leading original and independent research both in fundamental and applied sciences, ii) setting and driving large multidisciplinary and collaborative projects, and iii) engaging and promoting transfer of technology to industry; demonstrate that he is exceptionally well placed to realise his research vision of using engineering education for generation of wealth. Dr Goel is passionate to work on National Supercomputers of the UK like ARCHER (earlier called HECTOR) and JADE.
research, Dr Goel loves teaching and for this reason earned Best Supervisor
award at Cranfield in 2018 and was nominated for the best lecturer at QUB Belfast
in the very first years of his teaching career. On an average each of his
student supervised also earns “Best student of the year”- Example include Mr
Fabian, Mr Ali and Ms Junguo”. He works closely with students from “China, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, India,
Japan, Poland, Germany, France, UK, Kuwait, Sweden, Denmark, Spain etc”.
Any student wanting an exciting student learning experience to work towards a
Postgraduate degree is welcome to contact.
He specialises in machining and characterising of various materials including steel, silicon, glass, silicon carbide, tungsten etc and material characterisation and nanomaterials in the area of biomedical, solar and technology in space. His research promotes a multidisciplinary approach (modelling, testing, characterisation and fabrication) to engineer and untangle multiscale processes (time, energy and space) in materials of various sort. His research is at the influent of several thrust areas ranging from contact mechanics, manufacturing, materials science, nanotechnology and multiscale modelling, enable key advances in the area of ultra-precision manufacturing and material testing. From a background in mechanical engineering. he intimately bridge experiment with a strong emphasis on functional properties, to theory. It is evident from Dr. Goel’s involvement as a Co-I on two high value EPSRC grants (EP/K503241/1 and EP/L016567/1) cumulating to a gross value in excess of £5M. In addition to this, Dr Goel represents the UK and is a Working Group Leader (WP2) in the COST Action CA15102 (funded by H2020) of worth £120k dealing with critical raw materials subjected to extreme conditions (http://crm-extreme.eu/) which has allowed Dr Goel to communicate and discussed his research findings with colleagues in EU.
Recently he has initiated a project with an Orthopaedic Doctor at Milton Keynes hospital to address a global challenge on infection of medical implants. He has researched and published over 50 Journals paper attracting over 1000 citations and serves on the Editorial board of the top notch manufacturing Journal "Int J of Mach. Tools and Manufacture".
Having experienced at first hand during his work at QUB and at Cranfield, the context, barriers and enablers for exploitation of research and technology, the applicant is ideally placed to put into practice lessons learnt especially for bridging the gulf that sometimes exists between university based research and (wealth creating) user requirements.
1. National Physical Laboratory (http://www.npl.co.uk/)
2. Science and Technologies Facilities Council (https://stfc.ukri.org/)
3. Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (https://epsrc.ukri.org/)
4. Milton Keynes University Hospital (www.mkhospital.nhs.uk/)
5. Sophion BioScience, Denmark
6. Cost Action (Horizon 2020)
7. Kennametal, Germany
9. Adama Innovations, Ireland
10. Micromaterials, UK
Articles In Journals
- Goel S, Martinez FD, Chavoshi SZ, Khatri N & Giusca C (2018) Molecular dynamics simulation of the elliptical vibration assisted machining (EVAM) of pure iron, Journal of Micromanufacturing, 1 (1) 6-19.
- Goel S, Cross G, Stukowski A, Gamsjäger E, Beake B & Agrawal A (2018) Designing nanoindentation simulation studies by appropriate indenter choices: Case study on single crystal tungsten, Computational Materials Science, 152 (September) 196-210.
- Beake BD & Goel S (2018) Incipient plasticity in tungsten during nanoindentation: Dependence on surface roughness, probe radius and crystal orientation, International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, 75 (September) 63-69.
- Kovalchenko AM, Goel S, Zakiev IM, Pashchenko EA & Al-Sayegh R (2018) Suppressing scratch induced brittle fracture in silicon by geometric design modification of the abrasive grits, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, Early online.
- Goel S, Iñigo Llavori AZ, Giusca C, Veldhuis SC & Endrino JL (2018) The possibility of performing FEA analysis of a contact loading process fed by the MD simulation data, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 134 79-80.
- Faisal NH, Ahmed R, Goel S & Graham C (2018) Future of nanoindentation in archaeometry, Journal of Materials Research, 33 (17) 2515-2532.
- Faisal NH, Prathuru AK, Goel S, Ahmed R, Droubi MG, Beake BD & Fu YQ (2017) Cyclic nanoindentation and nano-impact fatigue mechanisms of functionally graded TiN/TiNi film, Shape Memory and Superelasticity, 3 (2) 149-167.
- Chavoshi SZ, Goel S & Morantz P (2017) Current trends and future of sequential micro-machining processes on a single machine tool, Materials and Design, 127 (August) 37-53.
- Chavoshi SZ, Xu S & Goel S (2017) Addressing the discrepancy of finding equilibrium melting point of silicon using MD simulations, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 473 (2202) Article No. 20170084.
- Rashid WB, Goel S, Davim JP & Joshi SN (2016) Parametric design optimization of hard turning of AISI 4340 steel (69 HRC), International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 82 (1-4) 451-462.
- Rashid WB & Goel S (2016) Advances in the surface defect machining (SDM) of hard steels, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 23 (August) 37-46.
- Goel S, Kovalchenko A, Stukowski A & Cross G (2016) Influence of microstructure on the cutting behaviour of silicon, Acta Materialia, 105 464-478.
- Chavoshi SZ, Goel S & Luo X (2016) Influence of temperature on the anisotropic cutting behaviour of single crystal silicon: A molecular dynamics simulation investigation, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 23 (August) 201-210.
- Chavoshi SZ, Goel S & Luo X (2016) Molecular dynamics simulation investigation on the plastic flow behaviour of silicon during nanometric cutting, Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 24 (1) Article No. 15002.
- Agrawal A, Goel S, Rashid WB & Price M (2015) Prediction of surface roughness during hard turning of AISI 4340 steel (69 HRC), Applied Soft Computing, 30 279-286.
- Goel S, Beake B, Chan CW, Faisal NH & Dunne N (2015) Twinning anisotropy of tantalum during nanoindentation, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 627 249-261.
- Goel S, Agrawal A & Faisal NH (2014) Can a carbon nano-coating resist metallic phase transformation in silicon substrate during nanoimpact?, Wear, 315 (1-2) 38-41.
- Goel S, Yan JW, Luo XC & Agrawal A (2014) Incipient plasticity in 4H-SiC during quasistatic nanoindentation, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 34 330-337.
- Goel S, Faisal NH, Luo XC, Yan JW & Agrawal A (2014) Nanoindentation of polysilicon and single crystal silicon: Molecular dynamics simulation and experimental validation, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 47 (27) Article No. 275304.
- Goel S (2014) The current understanding on the diamond machining of silicon carbide, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 47 (24) 1-36.
- Goel S, Luo X, Agrawal A & Reuben R (2014) Diamond machining of silicon: A review of advances in molecular dynamics simulation, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 88 131-164.
- Goel S, Joshi S, Abdelal G & Agrawal A (2014) Molecular dynamics simulation of nanoindentation of Fe3C and Fe4C, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 597 (March) 331-341.
- Goel S, Rashid WB, Luo XC, Agrawal A & Jain VK (2014) A theoretical assessment of surface defect machining and hot machining of nanocrystalline silicon carbide, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 136 (2) 021015-1-021015-12.
- Faisal NH, Ahmed R, Goel S & Fu YQ (2014) Influence of test methodology and probe geometry on nanoscale fatigue failure of diamond-like carbon film, Surface and Coatings Technology, 242 42-53.
- Goel S, Faisal NH, Ratia V, Agrawal A & Stukowski A (2014) Atomistic investigation on the structure–property relationship during thermal spray nanoparticle impact, Computational Materials Science, 84 163-174.
- Goel S, Stukowski A, Luo X, Agrawal A & Reuben R (2013) Anisotropy of single-crystal 3C-SiC during nanometric cutting, Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 21 (6) 1-20.
- Goel S, Stukowski A, Goel G, Luo X & Reuben R (2012) Nanotribology at high temperatures, Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology , 3 (1) 586-588.
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben R, Rashid WB & Sun J (2012) Simulation study of cutting forces, stresses and temperature during nanometric cutting of single crystal silicon, Key Engineering Materials, 496 223-228.
- Goel S, Lu X, Comley P, Reuben RL & Cox A (2012) Brittle-ductile transition during diamond turning of single crystal silicon carbide, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 65 15-21.
- Goel S & Parmar A (2012) An investigation on the colossal success of Larsen and Toubro Limited: Human resource management perspective, Pertanika Journal of Social Science and Humanities, 20 (4) 1261-1273.
- Luo X, Goel S & Reuben RL (2012) A quantitative assessment of nanometric machinability of major polytypes of single crystal silicon carbide, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 32 (12) 3423-3434.
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben RL & Pen H (2012) Influence of temperature and crystal orientation on tool wear during single point diamond turning of silicon, Wear, 284-285 65-72.
- Goel S, Luo X & Reuben RL (2012) Shear instability of nanocrystalline silicon carbide during nanometric cutting, Applied Physics Letters, 100 (23) Article No. 231902 - .
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben R & Rashid WB (2011) Atomistic aspects of ductile responses of cubic silicon carbide during nanometric cutting, Nanoscale Research Letters, 6 (589) 1-9.
- Goel S, Luo X & Reuben R (2011) Molecular dynamics simulation model for the quantitative assessment of tool wear during single point diamond turning of cubic silicon carbide, Computational Materials Science, 51 (1) 402-408.
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben R & Rashid WB (2011) Replacing diamond cutting tools with CBN for efficient nanometric cutting of silicon, Materials Letters, 68 507-509.
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben R, Rashid WB & Sun J (2011) Single point diamond turning of single crystal silicon carbide: Molecular dynamic simulation study, Key Engineering Materials, 496 150-155.
- Goel S, Pen HM, Liang YC, Luo XC, Bai QS & Ritchie JM. (2011) Multiscale simulation of nanometric cutting of single crystal copper and its experimental validation, Computational Materials Science, 50 (12) 3431-3441.
- Zhao J, Giusca C & Goel S (2018) Manufacturing uncertainty: How reproducible is the depth of cut during turning of OFHC copper? (Extended abstract). In: 18th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN), Venice, 4-8 June 2018.
- Goel S, Rashid WB, Mir A, Zeng S, Sun J & Luo X (2013) Development of the surface defect machining method for micro/nano scale material removal processes. In: 13th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering & Nanotechnology, Berlin, 27 May 2013.
- Goel S, Luo X, Stukowski A & Reuben RL (2012) Influence of nanoparticle coolant and crystal structure of the workpiece during nanometric cutting of silicon carbide. In: 12th International EUSPEN Conference, Stockholm, 4-7 June 2012.