Contact Dr Saurav Goel
Areas of expertise
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Precision Engineering
- Smart Materials
- Surface Engineering
- Sustainable Manufacturing
- Welding and Laser Processing
I am a Lecturer in Ultra-Precision Processing at Cranfield University since 2016. My current research lies on the footings of Material Oriented manufacturing and I inform my research by using Multi-scale modelling techniques involving the use of finite element as well as atomic simulations.
I obtained a PhD in this area from Heriot-Watt University, Scotland in the year 2013.
Prior to joining Cranfield, I worked at Queen's University Belfast as a Lecturer from 2013-2016.
I came to the UK in 2010 with a rich Industrial experience of 3 years at a level of Senior Engineer in India's largest construction Conglomerate, Larsen and Toubro Limited following completion of my undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering from NERIST, India in 2007.
Since PhD completion, I've acquired the status of Chartered Engineer from IMechE, research affiliate status with the biggest Manufacturing Society, CIRP and EUSPEN and completed PGCHET from Queen's University to become a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in the UK.
Beside research, I love teaching and for this reason earned Best Supervisor award at Cranfield in 2018 and was nominated for the best lecturer at QUB Belfast in the very first year of my teaching career. On an average each of student I've supervised has also received one or other form of an award including "Student of the year”- Example include Mr Fabian, Mr Ali and Ms Junguo”. I've worked closely with students from “China, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, India, Japan, Poland, Germany, France, UK, Kuwait, Sweden, Denmark, Spain etc”. To conclude, I would welcome any student who is motivated to join exciting opportunity of doing amazing research in the field of Ultra-Precision Engineering.
I've several PhD studentships in my research group in subjects related to machining, simulations, tribology, measurements and materials. Please contact me to find out which one suits you the most.
Following staff changes at Cranfield, I was tasked and given the responsibility to steer Cranfield’s effort in successful execution of the Centre for Doctoral Training in Ultra Precision Engineering (EP/K503241/1 and EP/L016567/1). Recently, I’ve teamed up with colleagues to use my Precision Engineering knowledge to combat the current challenges associated with Detector materials to improve the performance of PET imaging systems (EP/S013652/1) that will benefit mankind.
I am specialised in Precision processing of “difficult to cut materials”, free form shapes, coating deposition techniques like Diamond like carbon films, surface metrology, and material characterisation and in creating “digital twins” of these processes. I’ve been looking into developing hybrid and sequential techniques to machine challenging materials like steel, silicon, glass, silicon carbide, tungsten etc with the highest possible precision attainable by bulk techniques.
I am currently leading the Work package 2 on synthesis of new materials in the EU COST Action CA15102 (funded by H2020) as well as I am MC member of the Cost Action CA18125. The former is aimed at developing substitutes to Critical raw materials subjected to extreme conditions (http://crm-extreme.eu/) such as tungsten and niobium that are vital to the EU industries.
Most recently, I’ve partnered with an Orthopaedic Doctor at Milton Keynes hospital to address a global challenge on infection of medical implants. I’ve researched and published over 50 Journals paper attracting 1000+ citations. For these combined reasons, I sit on the Editorial Board of one of the top tier manufacturing Journals "Int J of Mach. Tools and Manufacture" beside the Journal of Micromanufacturing – SAGE and Machines by MDPI.
1. National Physical Laboratory (http://www.npl.co.uk/)
2. Science and Technologies Facilities Council (https://stfc.ukri.org/)
3. Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (https://epsrc.ukri.org/)
4. Milton Keynes University Hospital (www.mkhospital.nhs.uk/)
5. Sophion BioScience, Denmark
6. Cost Action (Horizon 2020)
7. Kennametal, Germany
9. Adama Innovations, Ireland
10. Micromaterials, UK
11. AWE, UK
12. Cranfield Precision (Five Landis)
Articles In Journals
- Wei H, Yan S, Goel S & Menary G (2019) Characterization and modelling the mechanical behaviour of poly(l-lactic acid) for the manufacture of bioresorbable vascular scaffolds by stretch blow moulding, International Journal of Material Forming, Early online.
- Liu C, Goel S, Llavori I, Stolf P, Giusca CL, Zabala A, Kohlscheen J, Paiva JM, Endrino JL & Veldhuis SC Fox Rabinovich GS (2019) Benchmarking of several material constitutive models for tribology, wear, and other mechanical deformation simulations of Ti6Al4V, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 97 (September) 126-137.
- Goel S, Cross G, Stukowski A, Gamsjäger E, Beake B & Agrawal A (2018) Designing nanoindentation simulation studies by appropriate indenter choices: Case study on single crystal tungsten, Computational Materials Science, 152 (September) 196-210.
- Beake BD & Goel S (2018) Incipient plasticity in tungsten during nanoindentation: Dependence on surface roughness, probe radius and crystal orientation, International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, 75 (September) 63-69.
- Goel S, Martinez FD, Chavoshi SZ, Khatri N & Giusca C (2018) Molecular dynamics simulation of the elliptical vibration assisted machining (EVAM) of pure iron, Journal of Micromanufacturing, 1 (1) 6-19.
- Kovalchenko AM, Goel S, Zakiev IM, Pashchenko EA & Al-Sayegh R (2018) Suppressing scratch induced brittle fracture in silicon by geometric design modification of the abrasive grits, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, Early online (1).
- Goel S, Iñigo Llavori AZ, Giusca C, Veldhuis SC & Endrino JL (2018) The possibility of performing FEA analysis of a contact loading process fed by the MD simulation data, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 134 79-80.
- Faisal NH, Ahmed R, Goel S & Graham C (2018) Future of nanoindentation in archaeometry, Journal of Materials Research, 33 (17) 2515-2532.
- Faisal NH, Prathuru AK, Goel S, Ahmed R, Droubi MG, Beake BD & Fu YQ (2017) Cyclic nanoindentation and nano-impact fatigue mechanisms of functionally graded TiN/TiNi film, Shape Memory and Superelasticity, 3 (2) 149-167.
- Chavoshi SZ, Goel S & Morantz P (2017) Current trends and future of sequential micro-machining processes on a single machine tool, Materials and Design, 127 (August) 37-53.
- Chavoshi SZ, Xu S & Goel S (2017) Addressing the discrepancy of finding equilibrium melting point of silicon using MD simulations, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 473 (2202) Article No. 20170084.
- Rashid WB, Goel S, Davim JP & Joshi SN (2016) Parametric design optimization of hard turning of AISI 4340 steel (69 HRC), International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 82 (1-4) 451-462.
- Goel S, Kovalchenko A, Stukowski A & Cross G (2016) Influence of microstructure on the cutting behaviour of silicon, Acta Materialia, 105 464-478.
- Rashid WB & Goel S (2016) Advances in the surface defect machining (SDM) of hard steels, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 23 (August) 37-46.
- Chavoshi SZ, Goel S & Luo X (2016) Molecular dynamics simulation investigation on the plastic flow behaviour of silicon during nanometric cutting, Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 24 (1) Article No. 15002.
- Chavoshi SZ, Goel S & Luo X (2016) Influence of temperature on the anisotropic cutting behaviour of single crystal silicon: A molecular dynamics simulation investigation, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 23 (August) 201-210.
- Goel S, Beake B, Chan CW, Faisal NH & Dunne N (2015) Twinning anisotropy of tantalum during nanoindentation, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 627 249-261.
- Agrawal A, Goel S, Rashid WB & Price M (2015) Prediction of surface roughness during hard turning of AISI 4340 steel (69 HRC), Applied Soft Computing, 30 279-286.
- Goel S, Yan JW, Luo XC & Agrawal A (2014) Incipient plasticity in 4H-SiC during quasistatic nanoindentation, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 34 330-337.
- Goel S, Agrawal A & Faisal NH (2014) Can a carbon nano-coating resist metallic phase transformation in silicon substrate during nanoimpact?, Wear, 315 (1-2) 38-41.
- Goel S (2014) The current understanding on the diamond machining of silicon carbide, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 47 (24) 1-36.
- Goel S, Faisal NH, Luo XC, Yan JW & Agrawal A (2014) Nanoindentation of polysilicon and single crystal silicon: Molecular dynamics simulation and experimental validation, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 47 (27) Article No. 275304.
- Goel S, Luo X, Agrawal A & Reuben R (2014) Diamond machining of silicon: A review of advances in molecular dynamics simulation, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 88 131-164.
- Goel S, Joshi S, Abdelal G & Agrawal A (2014) Molecular dynamics simulation of nanoindentation of Fe3C and Fe4C, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 597 (March) 331-341.
- Goel S, Rashid WB, Luo XC, Agrawal A & Jain VK (2014) A theoretical assessment of surface defect machining and hot machining of nanocrystalline silicon carbide, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 136 (2) 021015-1-021015-12.
- Faisal NH, Ahmed R, Goel S & Fu YQ (2014) Influence of test methodology and probe geometry on nanoscale fatigue failure of diamond-like carbon film, Surface and Coatings Technology, 242 42-53.
- Goel S, Faisal NH, Ratia V, Agrawal A & Stukowski A (2014) Atomistic investigation on the structure–property relationship during thermal spray nanoparticle impact, Computational Materials Science, 84 163-174.
- Goel S, Stukowski A, Luo X, Agrawal A & Reuben R (2013) Anisotropy of single-crystal 3C-SiC during nanometric cutting, Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 21 (6) 1-20.
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben R, Rashid WB & Sun J (2012) Simulation study of cutting forces, stresses and temperature during nanometric cutting of single crystal silicon, Key Engineering Materials, 496 223-228.
- Goel S, Stukowski A, Goel G, Luo X & Reuben R (2012) Nanotribology at high temperatures, Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology , 3 (1) 586-588.
- Goel S, Lu X, Comley P, Reuben RL & Cox A (2012) Brittle-ductile transition during diamond turning of single crystal silicon carbide, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 65 15-21.
- Goel S & Parmar A (2012) An investigation on the colossal success of Larsen and Toubro Limited: Human resource management perspective, Pertanika Journal of Social Science and Humanities, 20 (4) 1261-1273.
- Luo X, Goel S & Reuben RL (2012) A quantitative assessment of nanometric machinability of major polytypes of single crystal silicon carbide, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 32 (12) 3423-3434.
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben RL & Pen H (2012) Influence of temperature and crystal orientation on tool wear during single point diamond turning of silicon, Wear, 284-285 65-72.
- Goel S, Luo X & Reuben RL (2012) Shear instability of nanocrystalline silicon carbide during nanometric cutting, Applied Physics Letters, 100 (23) Article No. 231902 - .
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben R & Rashid WB (2011) Atomistic aspects of ductile responses of cubic silicon carbide during nanometric cutting, Nanoscale Research Letters, 6 (589) 1-9.
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben R & Rashid WB (2011) Replacing diamond cutting tools with CBN for efficient nanometric cutting of silicon, Materials Letters, 68 507-509.
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben R, Rashid WB & Sun J (2011) Single point diamond turning of single crystal silicon carbide: Molecular dynamic simulation study, Key Engineering Materials, 496 150-155.
- Goel S, Luo X & Reuben R (2011) Molecular dynamics simulation model for the quantitative assessment of tool wear during single point diamond turning of cubic silicon carbide, Computational Materials Science, 51 (1) 402-408.
- Goel S, Pen HM, Liang YC, Luo XC, Bai QS & Ritchie JM. (2011) Multiscale simulation of nanometric cutting of single crystal copper and its experimental validation, Computational Materials Science, 50 (12) 3431-3441.
- Hawi S, Dickins A, Pardal G, Giusca C, Pearce O & Goel S (2019) Fabrication of functionalised surfaces on gum metal (Ti-30Nb) using micromachining. In: 19th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN), 2019, Bilbao, 3-7 June 2019.
- Zhao J, Giusca C & Goel S (2018) Manufacturing uncertainty: How reproducible is the depth of cut during turning of OFHC copper? (Extended abstract). In: 18th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN), Venice, 4-8 June 2018.
- Goel S, Rashid WB, Mir A, Zeng S, Sun J & Luo X (2013) Development of the surface defect machining method for micro/nano scale material removal processes. In: 13th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering & Nanotechnology, Berlin, 27 May 2013.
- Goel S, Luo X, Stukowski A & Reuben RL (2012) Influence of nanoparticle coolant and crystal structure of the workpiece during nanometric cutting of silicon carbide. In: 12th International EUSPEN Conference, Stockholm, 4-7 June 2012.