Contact Dr Saurav Goel
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754132
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sauravgoel
- Blog: http://www.cdt-up.eng.cam.ac.uk/directory/teaching-staff
Areas of expertise
- Defence manufacturing
- Manufacturing of Functional Materials
- Precision Engineering
- Surface Engineering
Dr Saurav Goel is a Lecturer (fast track) and an early career investigator in the School of Transport, Aerospace and Manufacturing at Cranfield University. He started his academic journey in 2013 as a Lecturer at Queen’s University of Belfast upon graduating from Heriot-Watt University (HWU), UK in the same year.
He has a distinct academic research record as he has worked progressively over the years by developing the skill sets and knowledge on the deformation mechanics of hard, brittle materials via multiscale simulation methods and cutting edge experiments. Concerning these areas, he has published invited and solo-authored authoritative review articles in top 1% quartile journal in manufacturing. In the recent time, he is leading a major working group in a European Cost Action project funded by the Horizon 2020 (http://www.crm-extreme.eu/). Recently, he has successfully applied for a joint funding (US-Ireland Preparation Grant), and submitted a major tri-partite proposal of worth $1.6M, NSF (USA), SFI (Ireland), Department of Economy (Northern Ireland).
Over the years, he has expanded his research beyond traditional academic boundaries and he is now supervising PhD student in other research areas such as, layer by layer assembly (LbL) processes for biomedical applications, thermal spraying processes, finite element simulation of hard turning processes and nanoindentation and nanoscratching studies. He is among the first to publish results using long range potential functions and his contributions in the field of Si and SiC machining are considered novel. Saurav is keen to build a strong research focus team at Cranfield dedicated to solve couple of major ultra-precision engineering issues.
Dr. Goel has also been very passionate about teaching evident by his nomination for the best teaching award in his very first year of teaching at QUB, Belfast. Additionally, he has delivered a short term crash course on the topic “Ultra-precision engineering” at IIT Guwahati, India under the initiative of “GIAN” funded by Ministry of Human Resources, Government of India.
Articles In Journals
- Beake BD & Goel S (2018) Incipient plasticity in tungsten during nanoindentation: Dependence on surface roughness, probe radius and crystal orientation, International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials, 75 (September) 63-69.
- Goel S, Cross G, Stukowski A, GIn pressamsjäger E, Beake B & Agrawal A (2018) Designing nanoindentation simulation studies by appropriate indenter choices: Case study on single crystal tungsten, Computational Materials Science, 152 (September) 196-210.
- Goel S, Martinez FD, Chavoshi SZ, Khatri N & Giusca C (2018) Molecular dynamics simulation of the elliptical vibration assisted machining (EVAM) of pure iron, Journal of Micromanufacturing, 1 (1) 6-19.
- Chavoshi SZ, Xu S & Goel S (2017) Addressing the discrepancy of finding equilibrium melting point of silicon using MD simulations, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 473 (2202) Article No. 20170084.
- Chavoshi SZ, Goel S & Morantz P (2017) Current trends and future of sequential micro-machining processes on a single machine tool, Materials and Design, 127 37-53.
- Faisal NH, Prathuru AK, Goel S, Ahmed R, Droubi MG, Beake BD & Fu YQ (2017) Cyclic nanoindentation and nano-impact fatigue mechanisms of functionally graded TiN/TiNi film, Shape Memory and Superelasticity, 3 (2) 149-167.
- Chavoshi SZ, Goel S & Luo X (2016) Molecular dynamics simulation investigation on the plastic flow behaviour of silicon during nanometric cutting, Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 24 (1) Article No. 15002.
- Chavoshi SZ, Goel S & Luo X (2016) Influence of temperature on the anisotropic cutting behaviour of single crystal silicon: A molecular dynamics simulation investigation, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 23 (August) 201-210.
- Goel S, Kovalchenko A, Stukowski A & Cross G (2016) Influence of microstructure on the cutting behaviour of silicon, Acta Materialia, 105 464-478.
- Rashid WB & Goel S (2016) Advances in the surface defect machining (SDM) of hard steels, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 23 (August) 37-46.
- Rashid WB, Goel S, Davim JP & Joshi SN (2016) Parametric design optimization of hard turning of AISI 4340 steel (69 HRC), International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 82 (1-4) 451-462.
- Goel S, Beake B, Chan CW, Faisal NH & Dunne N (2015) Twinning anisotropy of tantalum during nanoindentation, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 627 249-261.
- Agrawal A, Goel S, Rashid WB & Price M (2015) Prediction of surface roughness during hard turning of AISI 4340 steel (69 HRC), Applied Soft Computing, 30 279-286.
- Goel S, Faisal NH, Ratia V, Agrawal A & Stukowski A (2014) Atomistic investigation on the structure–property relationship during thermal spray nanoparticle impact, Computational Materials Science, 84 163-174.
- Faisal NH, Ahmed R, Goel S & Fu YQ (2014) Influence of test methodology and probe geometry on nanoscale fatigue failure of diamond-like carbon film, Surface and Coatings Technology, 242 42-53.
- Goel S, Rashid WB, Luo XC, Agrawal A & Jain VK (2014) A theoretical assessment of surface defect machining and hot machining of nanocrystalline silicon carbide, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 136 (2) 021015-1-021015-12.
- Goel S, Joshi S, Abdelal G & Agrawal A (2014) Molecular dynamics simulation of nanoindentation of Fe3C and Fe4C, Materials Science and Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructures and Processing, 597 (March) 331-341.
- Goel S, Luo X, Agrawal A & Reuben R (2014) Diamond machining of silicon: A review of advances in molecular dynamics simulation, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 88 131-164.
- Goel S (2014) The current understanding on the diamond machining of silicon carbide, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 47 (24) 1-36.
- Goel S, Faisal NH, Luo XC, Yan JW & Agrawal A (2014) Nanoindentation of polysilicon and single crystal silicon: Molecular dynamics simulation and experimental validation, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 47 (27) Article No. 275304.
- Goel S, Yan JW, Luo XC & Agrawal A (2014) Incipient plasticity in 4H-SiC during quasistatic nanoindentation, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 34 330-337.
- Goel S, Agrawal A & Faisal NH (2014) Can a carbon nano-coating resist metallic phase transformation in silicon substrate during nanoimpact?, Wear, 315 (1-2) 38-41.
- Goel S, Stukowski A, Luo X, Agrawal A & Reuben R (2013) Anisotropy of single-crystal 3C-SiC during nanometric cutting, Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 21 (6) 1-20.
- Goel S, Luo X & Reuben RL (2012) Shear instability of nanocrystalline silicon carbide during nanometric cutting, Applied Physics Letters, 100 (23) Article No. 231902 - .
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben RL & Pen H (2012) Influence of temperature and crystal orientation on tool wear during single point diamond turning of silicon, Wear, 284-285 65-72.
- Luo X, Goel S & Reuben RL (2012) A quantitative assessment of nanometric machinability of major polytypes of single crystal silicon carbide, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 32 (12) 3423-3434.
- Goel S & Parmar A (2012) An investigation on the colossal success of Larsen and Toubro Limited: Human resource management perspective, Pertanika Journal of Social Science and Humanities, 20 (4) 1261-1273.
- Goel S, Lu X, Comley P, Reuben RL & Cox A (2012) Brittle-ductile transition during diamond turning of single crystal silicon carbide, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 65 15-21.
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben R, Rashid WB & Sun J (2012) Simulation study of cutting forces, stresses and temperature during nanometric cutting of single crystal silicon, Key Engineering Materials, 496 223-228.
- Goel S, Stukowski A, Goel G, Luo X & Reuben R (2012) Nanotribology at high temperatures, Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology , 3 (1) 586-588.
- Goel S, Pen HM, Liang YC, Luo XC, Bai QS & Ritchie JM. (2011) Multiscale simulation of nanometric cutting of single crystal copper and its experimental validation, Computational Materials Science, 50 (12) 3431-3441.
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben R, Rashid WB & Sun J (2011) Single point diamond turning of single crystal silicon carbide: Molecular dynamic simulation study, Key Engineering Materials, 496 150-155.
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben R & Rashid WB (2011) Replacing diamond cutting tools with CBN for efficient nanometric cutting of silicon, Materials Letters, 68 507-509.
- Goel S, Luo X & Reuben R (2011) Molecular dynamics simulation model for the quantitative assessment of tool wear during single point diamond turning of cubic silicon carbide, Computational Materials Science, 51 (1) 402-408.
- Goel S, Luo X, Reuben R & Rashid WB (2011) Atomistic aspects of ductile responses of cubic silicon carbide during nanometric cutting, Nanoscale Research Letters, 6 (589) 1-9.
- Kovalchenko AM, Goel S, Zakiev IM, Pashchenko EA & Al-Sayegh R Suppressing scratch induced brittle fracture in silicon by geometric design modification of the abrasive grits, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, In press.
- Zhao J, Giusca C & Goel S (2018) Manufacturing uncertainty during micromachining: Case study on OFHC copper (Extended abstract). In: 18th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (EUSPEN), Venice, 4-8 June 2018.
- Goel S, Rashid WB, Mir A, Zeng S, Sun J & Luo X (2013) Development of the surface defect machining method for micro/nano scale material removal processes. In: 13th International Conference of the European Society for Precision Engineering & Nanotechnology, Berlin, 27 May 2013.
- Goel S, Luo X, Stukowski A & Reuben RL (2012) Influence of nanoparticle coolant and crystal structure of the workpiece during nanometric cutting of silicon carbide. In: 12th International EUSPEN Conference, Stockholm, 4-7 June 2012.