Contact Dr Sagar Jain
Areas of expertise
- Vibrational , Photoemission (HR-XPS, UPS, NEXAFS) & Optoelectronic Characterization
- Emerging Photovoltaics and optoelectronics
- Non-toxic photovoltaics
- Printed electronics
- Transistors and sensors
- H2 Economy -> Generation (photocatalysis) , Transport (fuel cell) and Storage (electrochemical)
* Bachelor (BSc) and Master of Science (MSc) in Physical Chemistry from University of Pune, India.
* Research fellow : Secured Council of scientific and industrial research (CSIR), Government of India fellowship to work on Catalysis at National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), Pune. India
* Doctoral degree : Secured Italian government's Ministry of university education and research (MIUR) scholarship to complete Ph.D. in science and technology of nanomaterials at University of Turin, Italy (Prof. Adriano Zecchina)
* Postdoctoral fellows : Won Baden-Wurttemberg fellowship to perform research on advanced spectroscopic characterization and application of self-assembled monolayers in futuristic microelectronics at Heidelberg university, Germany
* Scientist : Won prestigious Wallenberg fellowship of Swedish government to perform research on emerging photovoltaics and optoelectronics at Uppsala university, Sweden (Prof. Gerrit Boschloo, Prof. Anders Hagfeldt)
* Independent Marie-Curie fellow : Won ER Marie-Curie fellowship to perform research in characterization, fabrication and upscale of emerging photovoltaics and optoelectronics at Swansea university, UK (Prof. James R. Durrant, FRS)
He expertise on energy device fabrication/engineering (these includes - Photovoltaics, Solar-thermal Thermoelectric , Printed electronics, Bioelectronics, Transistors, Sensors devices etc) and atomic to subatomic level characterization by employing HR-XPS, UPS, & NEXAFS characterization techniques by regular access to synchroton facilities (Maxlab IV, Sweden; Bessy II, HZB Germany and Diamond light source, UK).
With over 13 years of research experience working closely with industrial partners and university he demonstrated several lab-to-fab breakthrough research work. He is also a visiting professor at Henan University, China.
Presently, he is the group leader of photovoltaics and optoelectronics lab. His group is actively exploring the device fabrication, characterization and scale-up aspects of Photovoltaics/Solar cells, Solar-thermal, Thermoelectric and Optoelectronics devices at Cranfield University.
If you are an outstanding and enthusiastic individual interested in PhD/Post-doc in the Photovoltaics and Optoelectronics group to contribute to these challenging sectors (and Research areas mentioned) then please send in your CV with publications and 1 pager research interest statement to Sagar.M.Jain@cranfield.ac.uk
Self-funded Ph.D. Students are encouraged to apply and directly contact via email
Research projects are available on following topics -
- * Emerging Photovoltaics and optoelectronics
- * Non-toxic photovoltaics
- * Printed electronics
- * Bioelectronics
- * Transistors and sensors
- * Solar Thermal & Thermoelectric
- * H2 Economy -> Generation (photocatalysis) , Transport (fuel cell) and Storage (electrochemical)
Dr. Sagar Jain has strong track record of getting funding via fellowships. If you are interested in applying for a fellowship (doctoral/postdoctoral) to work in Photovoltaics and Optoelectronics group, then please drop an email, Sagar.M.Jain@cranfield.ac.uk
Information about the various postdoc fellowship opportunities can be found via following links:
- EPSRC Fellowships
- Ernest Rutherford Fellowships
- Leverhume Trust Fellowships
- Marie Curie Fellowships
- Newton International Fellowships
- Royal Academy of Engineering Fellowships
- Royal Society University Research Fellowships
- Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowships
- Royal Society of Edinburgh (RSE) Enterprise Fellowships
Dr. Sagar Jain holds the chair of photovoltaics and optoelectronics group and is based in the energy and power theme. His research investigates the fabrication/engineering, integration and characterization of novel materials for emerging Photovoltaics, Solar-thermal , Thermoelectric and Optoelectronics. (these includes but not limited to – Silicon photovoltaics, Perovskite solar cells, Organic photovoltaics, Quantum dot solar cells, Tandem solar cells and Dye solar cells)
He is exploring advanced optoelectronic, spectroscopic (vibrational, HRXPS, UPS, NEXAFS) as well photovoltage characterization techniques to understand structure-property-performance relation in emerging photovoltaics. One of the several domains of his research involves fundamental investigation to minimize the toxicity of these solar cells and using interface engineering approach to improve performance, long-term stability and ultimately upscaling of these novel technologies. The research also involves exploring new application for photovoltaics for instance, photocatalysis (H2 generation), indoor light harvesting for IOT, Space application, Building integrated photovoltaics (BIPV), Application targeted integrated photovoltaics (ATIP) and many more inline.
With Industrial partners he is actively investigating Floating photovoltaics (FPV) and Agrivoltaics (APV) performance , research and development capabilities at Cranfield University.
Presently, he is establishing the scale-up facility for roll-to-roll manufacture of perovskite, dye solar, organic photovoltaics and tandem photovoltaics.
Membership - Member of American chemical society , Royal chemicals society , Associate member of Supergen Supersolar hub
Review editor for Frontiers in Chemistry , Frontiers in Materials, Frontiers in Energy research.
Articles In Journals
- Li S, Yang F, Chen M, Yang J, Jiang L, Sun Y, Graced AN, Jain SM & Liu H (2022) Additive engineering for improving the stability of tin-based perovskite (FASnI3) solar cells, Solar Energy, 243 (September) 134-141.
- Venkateshalu S, Subashini G, Bhardwaj P, Jacob G, Sellappan R, Raghavan V, Jain S, Pandiaraj S, Natarajan V, Al Alwan BA, Al Mesfer MK, Alodhayb A, Khalid M & Grace AN (2022) Phosphorene, antimonene, silicene and siloxene based novel 2D electrode materials for supercapacitors - A brief review, Journal of Energy Storage, 48 (April) Article No. 104027.
- Liu H, Zhang Z, Yang F, Yang J, Grace AN, Li J, Tripathi S & Jain SM (2021) Dopants for enhanced performance of tin-based perovskite solar cells—a short review, Coatings, 11 (9) Article No. 1045.
- Gao R, Liu H, Yang JE, Yang F, Wang T, Xia C, Zhang Z, Liu X, Jia H, Xu B & Jain SM (2021) Tunable electronic properties and large optical anisotropy in the CsPbXnY3-n (X, Y = Cl, Br, I) perovskite, Solar Energy, 217 165-172.
- Zong H, Lou YH, Li M, Wang KL, Jain SM & Wang ZK (2020) Improved open-circuit voltage via Cs2CO3-Doped TiO2 for high-performance and stable perovskite solar cells, Organic Electronics, 77 Article No. 105495.
- Liu Z, Liu K, Zhang F, Jain SM, He T, Jiang Y, Liu P, Yang J, Liu H & Yuan M (2020) CH3NH3PbI3:MoS2 heterostructure for stable and efficient inverted perovskite solar cell, Solar Energy, 195 436-445.
- Pham HD, Jain SM, Li M, Wang ZK, Manzhos S, Feron K, Pitchaimuthu S, Liu Z, Motta N, Durrant JR & Sonar P (2020) All-rounder low-cost dopant-free D-A-D hole-transporting materials for efficient indoor and outdoor performance of perovskite solar cells, Advanced Electronic Materials, 6 (4) Article No. 1900884.
- Pham HD, Yang TC, Jain SM, Wilson GJ & Sonar P (2020) Development of Dopant-Free Organic Hole Transporting Materials for Perovskite Solar Cells, Advanced Energy Materials, 10 (13) Article No. 1903326.
- Gnanasekar S, Sonar P, Jain SM, Jeong SK & Grace AN (2020) Performance evaluation of a low-cost, novel vanadium nitride xerogel (VNXG) as a platinum-free electrocatalyst for dye-sensitized solar cells, RSC Advances, 10 (67) 41177-41186.
- Lee HK, Barbé J, Meroni SM, Du T, Lin CT, Pockett A, Troughton J, Jain SM, De Rossi F, Baker J, Carnie MJ, McLachlan MA, Watson, TM, Durrant JR & Tsoi WC (2019) Outstanding Indoor Performance of Perovskite Photovoltaic Cells – Effect of Device Architectures and Interlayers, Solar RRL, 3 (1) Article No. 1800207.
- Kirubakaran DD, Dhas CR, Jain SM, Marchesi LF & Pitchaimuthu S (2019) Jet nebulizer-spray coated CZTS film as Pt-free electrocatalyst in photoelectrocatalytic fuel cells, Applied Surface Science, 463 994-1000.
- Yang F, Zuo W, Liu H, Song J, Liu H, Li J & Jain SM (2019) Ion-migration and carrier-recombination inhibition by the cation-π interaction in planar perovskite solar cells, Organic Electronics, 75 Article No. 105387.
- Liu H, Liu H, Yang J, Yang F, Liu Z & Jain SM (2019) Improving the Performance of Planar Perovskite Solar Cells through a Preheated, Delayed Annealing Process to Control Nucleation and Phase Transition of Perovskite Films, Crystal Growth and Design, 19 (8) 4314-4323.
- Wang KL, Zhang CC, Jiang YR, Liu HR, Li XM, Jain SM & Ma H (2019) High-quality perovskite films via post-annealing microwave treatment, New Journal of Chemistry, 43 (24) 9338-9344.
- Jain SM, Edvinsson T & Durrant JR (2019) Green fabrication of stable lead-free bismuth based perovskite solar cells using a non-toxic solvent, Communications Chemistry, 2 (1) Article No. 91.
- Pham HD, Jain SM, Li M, Manzhos S, Feron K, Pitchaimuthu S, Liu Z, Motta N, Wang H, Durrant JR & Sonar P (2019) Dopant-free novel hole-transporting materials based on quinacridone dye for high-performance and humidity-stable mesoporous perovskite solar cells, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 7 (10) 5315-5323.
- Liang JJ, Li M, Zhu JY, Zong H, Zhang Y, Jain SM & Wang ZK (2019) Detrimental effect of silver doping in spiro-MeOTAD on the device performance of perovskite solar cells, Organic Electronics, 69 343-347.
- Barbé J, Kumar V, Newman MJ, Lee HK, Jain SM, Chen H, Charbonneau C, Rodenburg C & Tsoi WC (2018) Dark electrical bias effects on moisture-induced degradation in inverted lead halide perovskite solar cells measured by using advanced chemical probes, Sustainable Energy and Fuels, 2 (4) 905-914.
- Phuyal D, Jain SM, Philippe B, Johansson MB, Pazoki M, Kullgren J, Kvashnina KO, Klintenberg M, Johansson EM, Butorin SM, Karis O & Rensmo H (2018) The electronic structure and band interface of cesium bismuth iodide on a titania heterostructure using hard X-ray spectroscopy, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 6 (20) 9498-9505.
- Liu Z, Liu K, Wang H, Jain SM, Duan J, He T, Fan R, Yang J, Liu H & Zhang F (2018) Solvent engineering approach via introducing poly (3, 4-ethylene dioxy-thiophene)–poly (styrene sulfonate) (PEDOT:PSS) into photosensitive absorber layer for ambient temperature processed efficient inverted planar perovskite solar cells, Solar Energy, 176 1-9.
- Newman MJ, Speller EM, Barbé J, Luke J, Li M, Li Z, Wang ZK, Jain SM, Kim JS, Lee HK & Tsoi WC (2018) Photo-stability study of a solution-processed small molecule solar cell system: correlation between molecular conformation and degradation, Science and Technology of Advanced Materials, 19 (1) 194-202.
- Li M, Wang ZK, Zhuo MP, Hu Y, Hu KH, Ye QQ, Jain SM, Yang YG, Gao XY & Liao LS (2018) Pb–Sn–Cu Ternary Organometallic Halide Perovskite Solar Cells, Advanced Materials, 30 (20) Article No. 1800258.
- Lee HK, Wu J, Barbé J, Jain SM, Wood S, Speller EM, Li Z, Castro FA, Durrant JR & Tsoi WC (2018) Organic photovoltaic cells-promising indoor light harvesters for self-sustainable electronics, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 6 (14) 5618-5626.
- Pham HD, Hayasake K, Kim J, Do TT, Matsui H, Manzhos S, Feron K, Tokito S, Watson T, Tsoi WC, Motta N, Durrant JR, Jain SM & Sonar P (2018) One step facile synthesis of a novel anthanthrone dye-based, dopant-free hole transporting material for efficient and stable perovskite solar cells, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 6 (14) 3699-3708.
- Pham HD, Do TT, Kim J, Charbonneau C, Manzhos S, Feron K, Tsoi WC, Durrant JR, Jain SM & Sonar P (2018) Molecular Engineering Using an Anthanthrone Dye for Low-Cost Hole Transport Materials: A Strategy for Dopant-Free, High-Efficiency, and Stable Perovskite Solar Cells, Advanced Energy Materials, 8 (16) Article No. 1703007.
- Li M, Zhao C, Wang ZK, Zhang CC, Lee HK, Pockett A, Barbé J, Tsoi WC, Yang YG, Carnie MJ, Gao XY, Yang WX, Durrant JR, Liao LS & Jain SM (2018) Interface Modification by Ionic Liquid: A Promising Candidate for Indoor Light Harvesting and Stability Improvement of Planar Perovskite Solar Cells, Advanced Energy Materials, 8 (24) Article No. 1801509.
- Liu Z, He T, Wang H, Jain SM, Liu K, Yang J, Zhang N, Liu H & Yuan M (2018) Improvement in the performance of inverted planar perovskite solar cells via the CH3NH3PbI3-xClx:ZnO bulk heterojunction, Journal of Power Sources, 401 303-311.
- Jain SM, Phuyal D, Davies ML, Li M, Philippe B, De Castro C, Qiu Z, Kim J, Watson T, Tsoi WC, Karis O, Rensmo H, Boschloo G, Edvinsson T & Durrant JR (2018) An effective approach of vapour assisted morphological tailoring for reducing metal defect sites in lead-free, (CH3NH3)3Bi2I9 bismuth-based perovskite solar cells for improved performance and long-term stability, Nano Energy, 49 614-624.
- Jain SM, Cesano F, Scarano D & Edvinsson T (2017) Resonance Raman and IR spectroscopy of aligned carbon nanotube arrays with extremely narrow diameters prepared with molecular catalysts on steel substrates, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 19 (45) 30667-30674.
- Jain SM, Philippe B, Johansson EM, Park BW, Rensmo H, Edvinsson T & Boschloo G (2016) Vapor phase conversion of PbI 2 to CH 3 NH 3 PbI 3: spectroscopic evidence for formation of an intermediate phase, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 4 (7) 2630-2642.
- Jain SM, Qiu Z, Häggman L, Mirmohades M, Johansson MB, Edvinsson T & Boschloo G (2016) Frustrated Lewis pair-mediated recrystallization of CH3NH3PbI3 for improved optoelectronic quality and high voltage planar perovskite solar cells, Energy and Environmental Science, 9 (12) 3770-3782.
- Jain SM, Tripathi S, Tripathi S, Spoto G & Edvinsson (2016) Acid-catalyzed oligomerization via activated proton transfer to aromatic and unsaturated monomers in Nafion membranes: A step forward in the in situ synthesis of conjugated composite membranes, RSC Advances, 6 (106) 104782-104792.
- Park BW, Jain SM, Zhang X, Hagfeldt A, Boschloo G & Edvinsson T (2015) Resonance Raman and excitation energy dependent charge transfer mechanism in halide-substituted hybrid perovskite solar cells, ACS Nano, 9 (2) 2088-2101.
- Park BW, Philippe B, Jain SM, Zhang X, Edvinsson T, Rensmo H, Zietz B & Boschloo G (2015) Chemical engineering of methylammonium lead iodide/bromide perovskites: Tuning of opto-electronic properties and photovoltaic performance, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 3 (43) 21760-21771.
- Cravanzola S, Jain SM, Cesano F, Damin A & Scarano D (2015) Development of a multifunctional TiO2/MWCNT hybrid composite grafted on a stainless steel grating, RSC Advances, 5 (125) 103255-103264.
- Bashir A, Iqbal D, Jain SM, Barbe K, Abu-Husein T, Rohwerder M, Terfort A & Zharnikov M (2015) Promoting Effect of Protecting Group on the Structure and Morphology of Self-Assembled Monolayers: Terphenylylethanethioactate on Au(111), Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 119 (45) 25352-25363.
- Jain SM, Biedrzycki JJ, Maurino V, Zecchina A, Mino L & Spoto G (2014) Acetylene oligomerization on the surface of TiO2: A step forward in the in situ synthesis of nanostructured carbonaceous structures on the surface of photoactive oxides, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2 (31) 12247-12254.
- Bertarione S, Bonino F, Cesano F, Jain S, Zanetti M, Scarano D & Zecchina A (2009) Micro-FTIR and micro-raman studies of a carbon film prepared from furfuryl alcohol polymerization, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 113 (31) 10571-10574.