Contact Dr Saba Al-Rubaye
Areas of expertise
- Aeronautical Systems
- Autonomous Systems
- Communications Systems
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicles
- Industrial Automation
- Systems Engineering
- Vehicle Health Management
Dr. Saba Al-Rubaye, Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in the School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing and leading Connected Systems research and development theme at DARTeC. She has more than 17 years of professional experience in the industry and academia with demonstrated track record of launching innovative solutions in design, testing, consultation, leadership, and program development.
Dr Al-Rubaye has been involved in several projects sponsored by Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), USA Government, and UK including Innovation UK, Research England, EPSRC/DTP, and Department for Transport (DfT). She has been instrumental for setting up the hardware in the loop testbed in control and communications for system integration and testing at Quanta’s Sustainable Technology Integration Laboratory (QT-STIL) in Toronto, Canada. Dr. Saba Al-Rubaye is participating in developing industry standards by being an active research group member of IEEE P1932.1 standard of License/unlicensed Interoperability and IEEE P1920.2, Standard for Vehicle to Vehicle Communications for Unmanned Aircraft Systems. Dr. Al-Rubaye has published many papers in IEEE journals and conferences and a recipient of the best technical paper award twice published in IEEE Vehicular Technology in 2011 and 2015, respectively. She has been a general co-chair, TPC co-chair and has held other leading roles for many international conferences. She has delivered tutorials at IEEE ICC, IEEE WCNC, and IEEE VTC conferences, and invited talks at various venues including Communications Research Centre (CRC) of Canada, IEEE Toronto Chapter, and IEEE UK Chapter.
Dr. Saba Al-Rubaye received her Ph.D. in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from Brunel University London. She is registered as a Chartered Engineer (CEng) by British Engineering Council and recognized as Associate Fellow of the British Higher Education Academy (AFHEA) in the UK, a member of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET), Senior Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), and she is a Certified Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Pilot.
Dr Saba Al-Rubaye is currently looking for PhD students (UK/ EU Home) to work in sponsored project. A background in Telecommunications, Control, Computer Engineering and knowledge in UAV/Airport/Networks/ML/Security would be a distinct advantage. If you are genuinely interested in doing research and highly motivated, please send your CV and transcripts to email@example.com
Dr Saba Al-Rubaye leads the research theme on autonomous and connected systems. Her research group focusing on modelling, simulation, and testing, and all the aspects which addresses the new generation of emerging technology and integration capabilities within the dynamics of autonomous and system connectivity including:
- 5G/6G Connectivity
- V2X & IoT connectivity
- Automation & Artificial Intelligent
- Airport Connected System & Security
- UTM/ATC & Urban Air Mobility
- Autonomous & Electrical Vehicle Systems
5G communication systems will enable vehicles including UAV/Aircraft requiring high-quality to achieve low-latency in visual, tactile and audio, in addition to massive capacity and connectivity. This ensures ground-breaking precision of analysis for research into methods for designing innovative connected system concepts.
Dr Saba Al-Rubaye is currently chairing and organising a new workshop for 6G Networks at IEEE ICC 2020
- Jaguar Land Rover
- Satellite Applications Catapult
- Innovation UK
- Department for Transportation (DfT)
Articles In Journals
- Al-Rubaye S & Tsourdos A (2020) Airport connectivity optimization for 5G ultra-dense networks, IEEE Transactions on Cognitive and Developmental Systems, 6 (September) 980-989.
- Awais Khan M, Adeshina Busari S, Mohammed Saidul Huq K, Mumtaz S, Al-Rubaye S, Rodrigues J & Al-Dulaimi A (2020) A novel mapping technique for ray tracer to system-level simulation, Computer Communications, 150 (January) 378-383.
- Yu H, Zhou Z, Mumtaz S, Al-Rubaye S, Tsourdos A & Qingyang Hu R (2020) Power control optimization for large-scale multi-antenna systems, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 19 (11, November 2020) 7339-7352.
- Li J, Dang S, Yan Y, Jiang X-Q, Peng Y, Al-Rubaye S & Tsourdos A (2020) Generalized quadrature spatial modulation and its application to vehicular networks with NOMA, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Available online 16 July 2020.
- Busari SA, Haq KMS, Mumtaz S, Rodriguez J, Fang Y, Sicker DC, Al-Rubaye S & Tsourdos A (2019) Generalized hybrid beamforming for vehicular connectivity using THz massive MIMO, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 68 (9) 8372-8383.
- Al-Rubaye S, Al-Dulaimi A & Ni Q (2019) Power interchange analysis for reliable vehicle-to-grid connectivity, IEEE Communications Magazine, 57 (8) 105-111.
- Al-Dulaimi A, Mumtaz S, Al-Rubaye, S, Zhang S & Chin-Lin I (2019) A framework of network connectivity management in multi-clouds infrastructure, IEEE Wireless Communications, 26 (3) 104-110.
- Al-Rubaye S, Rodriguez J, Al-Dulaimi A, Mumtaz S & Rodrigues JPC (2019) Enabling digital grid for industrial revolution: self-healing cyber resilient platform, IEEE Network, 33 (5) 219-225.
- Tahira Z, Asif HM, Khan AA, Baig S, Mumtaz S & Al-Rubaye S (2019) Optimization of non-orthogonal multiple access based visible light communication systems, IEEE Communications Letters, 23 (8) 1365-1368.
- Al-Rubaye S, Rodriguez J, Zanotti Fragonara L, Theron P & Tsourdos A (2019) Unleash narrowband technologies for industrial Internet of Things services, IEEE Network, 33 (4) 16-22.
- Zhao L, Li X, Gu B, Zhou Z, Mumtaz S, Frascolla V, Gacanin H, Ashraf MI, Rodrihuez J, Yang M & Al-Rubaye S (2018) Vehicular communications: Standardization and open issues, IEEE Communications Standards, 2 (4) 74-80.
- Al-Rubaye S, Al-Dulaimi A, Mumtaz S & Rodriguez J (2018) Dynamic pricing mechanism in smart grid communications is shaping up, IEEE Communications Letters, 22 (7).
- Busari SA, Mumtaz S, Al-Rubaye S & Rodriguez J (2018) 5G millimeter-wave mobile broadband: Performance and challenges, IEEE Communications Magazine, 56 (6) 137-143.
- Al-Rubaye S, Al-Dulaimi A, Cosmas J & Anpalagan A (2018) Call admission control for non-standalone 5G ultra-dense networks, IEEE Communications Letters, 22 (5) 1058-1061.
- Li S, Ni Q, Sun Y, Min G & Al-Rubaye S (2018) Energy-efficient resource allocation for industrial cyber-physical IoT systems in 5G era, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 14 (6) 2618-2628.
- Al-Dulaimi A, Anpalagan A, Al-Rubaye S & Ni Q (2017) Adaptive management of cognitive radio networks employing femtocells, IEEE Systems Journal, 11 (4) 2687-2698.
- Al-Dulaimi A, Al-Rubaye S, Cosmas J & Anpalagan A (2017) Planning of ultra-dense wireless networks, IEEE Network, 31 (2) 90-96.
- Al-Rubaye S & Aulin J (2017) Grid modernization enabled by SDN controllers: Leveraging interoperability for accessing unlicensed band, IEEE Wireless Communications, 24 (5) 60-67.
- Al-Rubaye S, Kadhum E, Ni Q & Anpalagan A (2017) Industrial internet of things driven by SDN platform for smart grid resiliency, IEEE Internet of Things, Early online (1).
- Al-Dulaimi A, Al-Rubaye S & Ni Q (2016) Energy Efficiency using Cloud Management of LTE Networks Employing Fronthaul and Virtualized Baseband Processing Pool, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, Early online (2).
- Al-Dulaimi A, Al-Rubaye S, Ni Q & Sousa E (2015) 5G communications race: Pursuit of more capacity triggers LTE in unlicensed band, IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, 10 (1) 43-51.
- Al-Rubaye S, Al-Dulaimi A & Cosmas J (2011) Cognitive femtocell, IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, 6 (1) 44-51.
- Tariq N, Petrunin I, Al-Rubaye S, Tsourdos A & Zischka W (2020) Quality of service study in synchronized time-triggered aerial networks. In: 2020 AIAA/IEEE 39th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), San Antonio, 11-15 October 2020.
- Ryan R, Al-Rubaye S, Braithwaite G & Panagiotakopoulos D (2020) The legal framework of UTM for UAS. In: 2020 AIAA/IEEE 39th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), San Antonio, 11-15 October 2020.
- Ayub S, Petrunin I, Tsourdos A, Al-Rubaye S, Stapylton G & Dent G (2020) In-flight entertainment datalink analysis and simulation. In: 2020 AIAA/IEEE 39th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), San Antonio, 11-15 October 2020.
- Li Z, Wu J, Mumtaz S, Taha A-E M, Al-Rubaye S & Tsourdos A (2020) Machine learning and multi-dimension features based adaptive intrusion detection in ICN. In: ICC 2020 - 2020 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Dublin, 7-11 June 2020.
- Li C, Sun SC, Al-Rubaye S, Tsourdous A & Guo W (2020) Uncertainty propagation in neural network enabled multi-channel optimisation. In: 2020 IEEE 91st Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2020-Spring), Antwerp, 25-28 May 2020.
- Panico A, Zanotti Fragonara L & Al-Rubaye S (2020) Adaptive detection tracking system for autonomous UAV maritime patrolling. In: 2020 IEEE 7th International Workshop on Metrology for AeroSpace (MetroAeroSpace), Online, 22-24 June 2020.
- Al-Rubaye S, Al-Dulaimi A & Cosmas J (2017) Spectrum allocation techniques for industrial smart grid infrastructure. In: 2016 IEEE 14th International Conference on Industrial Informatics (INDIN), Poitiers, 19-21 July 2016.
- Al-Rubaye S & Choi B (2016) Energy load management for residential consumers in smart grid networks. In: 2016 IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE), Las Vegas, NV, 7-11 January 2016.
- Le T, Al-Rubaye S, Liang H & Choi B (2015) Dynamic charging and discharging for electric vehicles in microgrids. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Communication Workshop, London, 8-12 June 2015.
- Al-Rubaye S & Al-Dulaimi A (2013) Mobility management for LTE based small cell networks. In: 31st Wireless World Research Forum, Vancouver.
- Al-Rubaye S, Al-Dulaimi A & Cosmas J (2011) Pilot power optimization for autonomous femtocell networks. In: 2011 Wireless Advanced, London, 20-22 June 2011.
- Al-Dulaimi A, Al-Rubaye S & Cosmas J (2011) Adaptive congestion control for mobility in cognitive radio networks. In: 2011 Wireless Advanced, London, 20-22 June 2011.
- Alsabbagh H, Mahmood F, Al-Rubaye S & Edwards R (2011) The design of fractal antennas for UWB using MoM. In: 2011 IEEE Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference (LAPC), Loughborough, 14-15 November 2011.
- Al-Dulaimi A, Al-Rubaye S & Al-Raweshidy H (2010) Renovate cognitive networks under spectrum unavailability. In: 2010 Sixth Advanced International Conference on Telecommunications, Barcelona, 9-15 May 2010.
- Al-Rubaye S, Al-Dulaimi & Cosmas J (2010) Cognitive femtocells for future internet base on QoS. In: 25th Wireless World Research Forum, London.
- Al-Rubaye S (2010) Green radio over fibre and femtocell access network. In: 25th Wireless World Research Forum, London.
- Al-Dulaimi A, Al-Rubaye S, Al-Raweshidy H, Cosmas J & Loo J (2010) Multi-zones of cognitive to fibre networks. In: Communication Systems, Networks and Digital Signal Processing (CSNDSP 2010), Newcastle, 21-22 July 2010.
- Al-Rubaye S, Al-Dulaimi A, Al-Saeed L, Al-Raweshidy H, Kadhum E & Ismail W (2010) Development of heterogeneous cognitive radio and wireless access network. In: 24th Wireless World Research Forum, Penang Island, 12-14 April 2010.
- Al-Dulaimi A, Al-Rubaye S & Al-Raweshidy H (2010) Radio over fibre transceiver designed for cognitive communications architecture. In: 25th Wireless World Research Forum, London.
- Kadhum E, Ismail W & Al-Rubaye S (2010) Noise analysis based on BERT using hardware in-the-loop co-simulation based FSK transceiver through a hybrid DSP/FPGA platform. In: 25th Wireless World Research Forum, London.
- Kadhum E, Ismail W & Al-Rubaye S (2010) Software digital modems for software defined radio (SDR) using hybrid architecture platform. In: 24th Wireless World Research Forum, Penang Island, 12-14 April 2010.
- Al-Rubaye S & Cosmas J (2018) Provisioning unlicensed LAA interface for smart grid applications. In: 5G Networks: Fundamental Requirements, Enabling Technologies, and Operations Management, Wiley, p. 603-624.
- Al-Rubaye S & Cosmas J (2013) Technical challenges in 4G cognitive femtocell systems. In: Self-Organization and Green Applications in Cognitive Radio Networks, IGI Global, p. 1-25.
- Al-Dulaimi A, Al-Rubaye S & Cosmas J (2012) Adaptive coexistence between cognitive and fiber networks. In: Wireless Multi-Access Environments and Quality of Service Provisioning: Solutions and Application, IGI Global, p. 311-336.
- Al-Rubaye S, Al-Dulaimi A & Cosmas J (2012) Spectrum handover strategies for cognitive femtocell networks. In: Femtocell Communications and Technologies: Business Opportunitie and Deployment Challenges, IGI Global, p. 85-102.