Contact Dr Ruben Sakrabani
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 750111 x2710
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Energy and the Environment
- Food waste
- Soil Resources
- Waste Management & Resource Efficiency
- Water Science & Engineering
BackgroundDr Ruben Sakrabani obtained his first degree in Chemistry from the National University of Malaysia. He obtained the prestigious British High Commissioners Chevening Award to pursue an MSc in Environmental Pollution Control from University of Leeds. After his MSc, he worked for a year at Earth Tech Engineering Ltd as an Assistant Environmental Specialist. He then started his PhD at University of Abertay Dundee and later transferred to University of Bradford. His PhD work was on contaminated sediments. He has experience in field and laboratory analysis involving contaminated sediments and hands on experience operating AAS, HPLC and ion chromatograph. During his PhD, Dr Sakrabani spent four months at Aalborg University in Denmark developing novel methods to predict biodegradability of organic matter from combined sewer sediments. In addition, he was also involved in an EU collaborative project involving trans-national access to Major Research Infrastructure (MRI) at WL Delft Hydraulics in the Netherlands. Dr Ruben Sakrabani joined Cranfield in September 2002 as Lecturer in Soil Chemistry.
Dr Sakrabani is a Senior Lecturer in Soil Chemistry. He is involved in his capacity as Principal Investigator on several projects which involve application of organic amendments to soils. His area of expertise is on determining nutrient dynamics in soils associated with application of organic amendments such as compost, manure, slurry, sludge, biochar and digestates. His work explores the efficiency and reliability of organic amendments as alternative sources of fertilisers to improve soil fertility. Dr Sakrabani's research interest also extends to nations such as Malawi, Malaysia, India and China. Dr Sakrabani teaches primarily on the MSc Land Reclamation and Remediation. Dr Sakrabani is also a full member of the Royal Society of Chemistry and British Society of Soil Science. Projects that Dr Sakrabani has been involved include:
- Nutrient dynamics and mechanisation of organo-mineral fertilisers
- Effects of conventional and organic farming practices on soil physical properties
- Assessing the balance between greenhouse gas and ammonia emissions from pastures receiving slurry
- Fate and transport of micropollutants (such as personal care products) present in sludge when applied to soil
- Impact of compost on soil physical, chemical and biological aspects of brownfield land established with bioenergy crops
- Recovery of phosphorus from sewage sludge and utilising novel methods to determine plant available phosphorus to meet crop demands
- UK Committee Member for EU COST Action Programme on Biochar.
- Agri-Food Charities
- United Utilities
Articles In Journals
- Mašková L, Simmons RW, De Baets S, Montero EM, Delmer A & Sakrabani R (2019) Assessment of silt from sand and gravel processing as a suitable sub-soil material in land restoration: a glasshouse study, Chemosphere, 219 (March) 58-65.
- Odukoya J, Lambert R & Sakrabani R (2019) Impact of crude oil on yield and phytochemical composition of selected green leafy vegetables, International Journal of Vegetable Science, Early online.
- Batista Seguí MD, Tyrrel S, Hess T, Sakrabani R & Knaggs D (2018) Long‐term phosphorus accumulation and removal efficiency in a land‐based wastewater treatment system in the UK, Water and Environment Journal, Early online.
- Anyaoha KE, Sakrabani R, Patchigolla K & Mouazen AM (2018) Evaluating oil palm fresh fruit bunch processing in Nigeria, Waste Management and Research, 36 (3) 236-246.
- Sakrabani R & Hollis J (2018) Evaluating changes in soil organic matter with climate using CENTURY in England and Wales, Journal of Environmental Quality, 47 (4) 695-703.
- Echchelh A, Hess T & Sakrabani R (2018) Reusing oil and gas produced water for irrigation of food crops in drylands, Agricultural Water Management, 206 (July) 124-134.
- Anyaoha KE, Sakrabani R, Patchigolla K & Mouazen AM (2018) Critical evaluation of oil palm fresh fruit bunch solid wastes as soil amendments: Prospects and challenges, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 136 (September) 399-409.
- Wadsworth R, Hallett S & Sakrabani R (2018) Phosphate acceptance map: A novel approach to match phosphorus content of biosolids with land and crop requirements, Agricultural Systems, 166 (October) 57-69.
- Antille DL, Godwin RJ, Sakrabani R, Seneweera S, Tyrrel SF & Johnston AE (2017) Field-scale evaluation of biosolids-derived organomineral fertilizers applied to winter wheat in England, Agronomy Journal, 109 (2) 654-674.
- Seguí MD, Hess T, Sakrabani R & Tyrrel S (2017) Long-term phosphorus removal in land treatment systems: Evaluation, experiences, and opportunities, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (5) 314-334.
- Verheijen FG, Mankasingh U, Penizek V, Panzacchi P, Glaser B, Jeffery S, Bastos AC, Tammeorg P, Kern J, Zavalloni C, Zanchettin G & Sakrabani R (2017) Representativeness of European biochar research: part I–field experiments, Journal of Environmental Engineering and Landscape Management, 25 (2) 140-151.
- Sakrabani R, Kern J, Mankasingh U, Zavalloni C, Zanchettin G, Bastos AC, Tammeorg P, Jeffery S, Glaser B & Verheijen FG (2017) Representativeness of European biochar research: part II–pot and laboratory studies, Journal of Environmental Engineering and Landscape Management, 25 (2) 152-159.
- Kern J, Tammeorg P, Shanskiy M, Sakrabani R, Knicker H, Kammann C, Tuhkanen E-M, Smidt G, Prasad M, Tiilikkala K, Sohi S, Gascó G, Steiner C & Glaser B (2017) Synergistic use of peat and charred material in growing media – an option to reduce the pressure on peatlands?, Journal of Environmental Engineering and Landscape Management, 25 (2) 160-174.
- Hallett SH, Sakrabani R, Thompson AJ, Deeks LK & Knox JW (2017) Improving soil and water management for agriculture: insights and innovation from Malta, MCAST Journal of Applied Research and Practice, 1 40-59.
- Hallett SH, Sakrabani R, Keay CA & Hannam JA (2017) Developments in land information systems: examples demonstrating land resource management capabilities and options, Soil Use and Management, 33 (4) 514-529.
- Moya B, Parker A, Sakrabani R & Mesa B (2017) Evaluating the efficacy of fertilisers derived from human excreta in agriculture and their perception in Antananarivo, Madagascar, Waste and Biomass Valorization, Early online 1-12.
- Charlton A, Sakrabani R, Tyrrel S, Rivas Casado M, McGrath SP, Crooks B, Cooper P & Campbell CD (2016) Long-term impact of sewage sludge application on soil microbial biomass: an evaluation using meta-analysis, Environmental Pollution, 219 (December) 1021-1035.
- Bachmann H, Bucheli T, Dieguez-Alonso A, Fabbri D, Knicker H, Schmidt H, Ulbricht A, Becker R, Buscaroli A, Buerge D, Cross A, Dickinson D, Enders A, Esteves V, Evangelou M, Fellet G, Friedrich K, Gasco Guerrero G, Glaser B, Hanke U, Hanley K, Hilber I, Kalderis D, Leifeld J, Masek O, Mumme J, Carmona M, Calvelo Pereira R, Rees F, Rombolà A, De La Rosa J, Sakrabani R, Sohi S, Soja G, Valagussa M, Verheijen F & Zehetner F (2016) Toward the Standardization of Biochar Analysis: The COST Action TD1107 Interlaboratory Comparison, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 64 (2) 513-527.
- Charlton A, Sakrabani R, McGrath SP & Campbell CD (2016) Long-term impact of sewage sludge application on rhizobium leguminosarum biovar trifolii: an evaluation using meta-analysis, Journal of Environmental Quality, 45 (5) 1572-1587.
- Badmos B, Sakrabani R & Lord R (2015) A glass house trial to investigate the impact of water treatment sludge and green waste compost to enhance the revegetation of contaminated sites, Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science, 62 (6) 865-876.
- Pawlett M, Deeks LK & Sakrabani R (2015) Nutrient potential of biosolids and urea derived organo-mineral fertilisers in a field scale experiment using ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.), Field Crops Research, 175 56-63.
- Rickson RJ, Deeks LK, Graves A, Harris JAH, Kibblewhite MG & Sakrabani R (2015) Input constraints to food production: the impact of soil degradation, Food Security, 7 (2) 351-364.
- Antille DL, Sakrabani R & Godwin RJ (2014) Nitrogen release characteristics from biosolids-derived organomineral fertilizers, Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 45 (12) 1687-1698.
- Antille DL, Sakrabani R & Godwin RJ (2014) Effects of biosolids-derived organomineral fertilizers, urea, and biosolids granules on crop and soil established with ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.), Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 45 (12) 1605-1621.
- Wu G, Li X, Kechavarzi C, Sakrabani R, Sui H & Coulon F (2014) Influence and interactions of multi-factors on the bioavailability of PAHs in compost amended contaminated soils, Chemosphere, 107 (July) 43-50.
- Ulyett J, Sakrabani R, Kibblewhite M & Hann M (2014) Impact of biochar addition on water retention, nitrification and carbon dioxide evolution from two sandy loam soils, European Journal of Soil Science, 65 (1) 96-104.
- Kibblewhite MG, Prakash S, Hazarika M, Burgess PJ & Sakrabani R (2014) Managing declining yields from ageing tea plantations, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 94 (8) 1477-1481.
- Chipula G, Sakrabani R, Hess T & Tyrrel S (2014) Compost-sewage effluent integration for ryegrass production, Journal of Crop Improvement, 28 (3) 345-360.
- Antille DL, Sakrabani R & Godwin RJ (2014) Phosphorus Release Characteristics from Biosolids-Derived Organomineral Fertilizers, Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 45 (19) 2565-2576.
- Whelan A, Kechavarzi C, Coulon F, Sakrabani R & Lord R (2013) Influence of compost amendments on the hydraulic functioning of brownfield soils, Soil Use and Management, 29 (2) 260-270.
- Deeks LK, Chaney K, Murray C, Sakrabani R, Gedara S, Le MS, Tyrrel S, Pawlett M, Read R & Smith G (2013) A new sludge-derived organo-mineral fertilizer gives similar crop yields as conventional fertilisers, Agronomy for Sustainable Development, 33 (3) 539-549.
- Sutherland L, Gabriel D, Hathaway-Jenkins L, Pascual U, Schmutz U, Rigby D, Godwin R, Sait SM, Sakrabani R, Kunin B, Benton TG & Stagl S (2012) The ‘neighbourhood effect’: A multidisciplinary assessment of the case for farmer co-ordination in agri-environmental programmes, Land Use Policy, 29 (3) 502-512.
- Butler E, Whelan MJ, Sakrabani R & van Egmond R (2012) Fate of triclosan in field soils receiving sewage sludge, Environmental Pollution, 167 101-109.
- Butler E, Whelan MJ, Ritz K, Sakrabani R & van Egmond R (2012) The effect of triclosan on microbial community structure in three soils, Chemosphere, 89 (1) 1-9.
- Harris JA, Tyrrel SF, Ritz K, Lanigan GJ, Griffiths BS, Brennan FP, Bourdin F, Massey PA, Moynihan EL, Rogers NE, Kibblewhite MG, Pawlett M, Sakrabani R, Hoekstra NJ, Creamer RE, Schulte RPO & Richards KG (2011) Does soil biology hold the key to optimized slurry management? A manifesto for research, Soil Use and Management, 27 (4) 464-469.
- Hathaway-Jenkins LJ, Sakrabani R, Pearce B, Whitmore AP & Godwin RJ (2011) A comparison of soil and water properties in organic and conventional farming systems in England, Soil Use and Management, 27 (2) 133-142.
- Butler E, Whelan MJ, Ritz K, Sakrabani R & van Egmond R (2011) Solvent-based washing removes lipophilic contaminant interference with phospholipid fatty acid analysis of soil communities, Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 43 (10) 2208-2212.
- Butler E, Whelan MJ, Ritz K, Sakrabani R & van Egmond R (2011) Effects of triclosan on soil microbial respiration., Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 30 (2) 360-6.
- Sakrabani Ruben, Vollertsen Jes, Ashley Richard M & Hvitved-Jacobsen Thorkild (2009) Biodegradability of organic matter associated with sewer sediments during first flush., Science of the Total Environment, 407 (8) 2989-2995.
- Sakrabani R, Ashley R & Vollertsen J (2005) The influence of biodegradability of sewer solids for the management of CSOs,, Water Science and Technology, 51 (2) 89-97.
- McIlhatton TD, Sakrabani R, Ashley RM & Burrows R (2002) Erosion Mechanisms in Combined Sewers and the Potential for Pollutant Release to Receiving Waters and Water Treatment Plants, Water Science and Technology, 43 (3) 61-69.
- Fraser AI, Sakrabani R, Ashley RM & Johnstone F (2002) Managing sewer solids for the reduction of foul flush effects ? Forfar WTP,, Water Science and Technology, 43 (3) 265-272.
- Antille DL, Sakrabani R & Godwin R (2014) Soil and crop responses following application of biosolids-derived organomineral fertilisers to ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) grown in pots. In: American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting 2014, Montreal, 13-16 July 2014.
- Whelan A, Kechavarzi C, Sakrabani R, Coulon F, Simmons RW & Wu G (2010) The influence of compost addition on the water repellency of brownfield soils.. In: European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2010, Vienna, Austria, 2 May 2010.
- Whelan A, Kechavarzi C, Sakrabani R & Coulon F (2010) The influence of compost addition on the hydraulic properties of brownfield soils. In: ConSoil 2010 : 11th International UFZ- Deltares/TNO Conference on Management of Soil, Groundwater and Sediment, Salzburg, 22 September 2010.
- Antille D, Sakrabani R & Godwin RJ (2009) Organomineral fertilisers : nutrient dynamics and evaluation of agronomic characteristics. In: 2009 American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting, Reno, Nevada, 21 June 2009.
- Antille DL, Sakrabani R & Godwin RJ (2009) Organomineral fertilisers: Nutrient dynamics and evaluation of agronomic characteristics. In: 2009 American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting, Reno, Nevada, 21 June 2009.
- Antille D, Sakrabani R & Godwin RJ (2008) Organomineral fertilisers: nitrogen dynamics and evaluation of agronomic characteristics.. In: Proc. of ASABE (American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers) Annual International Meeting, Rhode Island, USA, Rhode Island, USA, 29 June 2008.
- Hathaway-Jenkins L, Dresser M, Godwin RJ, Palmer RC & Sakrabani R (2008) A comparison of the effects of conventional and organic farming practices on soil properties. In: Proc. of ASABE (American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers) Annual International Meeting, Rhode Island, USA, Rhode Island, USA, 29 June 2008.
- Sakrabani R & Hollis JM (2006) Predicting Changes in Soil Organic Carbon in Different Land Uses for England and Wales Under Current and Future Climatic Conditions Using CENTURY 5. In: Proc. World Congress in Soil Science, Philadelphia, USA. , Philadelphia, USA. , 16 September 2006.
- Sakrabani R & Hollis JM (2005) Prediction of Changes in Soil Organic Carbon with Climate using CENTURY. In: Proc. Modelling Soil Processes - measurement, uncertainty and modelling, BSSS Conference, Aberdeen., Aberdeen, Scotland, 20 October 2005.
- Sakrabani R & Hollis JM (2004) Prediction of Changes in Soil Organic Carbon with Climate using CENTURY and ROTHC.. In: Proc. EUROSOIL Conference, Freiburg, Germany., Freiburg, Germany., 4 September 2004.
- Sakrabani R, Pawlett M, Read R & Deeks LK Optimising phosphorus supply from nutrient enriched sludge granules using diffusive gradient in thin films (DGT). In: 16th European Biosolids and Organic Resources Conference, Leeds, 14 November 2011.
- Sakrabani R, Deeks LK, Kibblewhite MG & Ritz K (2012) Impacts of Agriculture on Soil Quality. In: Environmental Impacts of Modern Agriculture. Hester RE, Harrison RM (ed.), London: Royal Society of Chemistry, p. 35-56.