Contact Dr Romano Pagliari
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754231
- Email: R.Pagliari@cranfield.ac.uk
Areas of expertise
- Aviation Management & Operations
Romano holds an MA in Economic History from the University of Edinburgh, an MSc in Transport Studies and a PhD in Management from Cranfield University. He joined Cranfield University in 1995 to support and develop the Department of Air Transport’s research and consultancy activities. He was responsible for launching and subsequently leading, as course director, a new Cranfield University MSc in Airport Planning and Management
Romano has also held the positions of student support advisor and Associate Dean for teaching in the School of Engineering and he has been especially active in the development of both open access and bespoke continuing professional development courses for the airport industry. This includes managing, in partnership with Concession Planning International, an annual Airport Commercial Revenues Workshop for Industry Managers Short Course since 2000.
Romano is currently a senior lecturer in air transport management. His teaching is largely focused around airport business management and policy, while he also has a particular research interest in the provision and regulation of essential air transport in remoter regions. In addition to these activities and interests, Romano supervises research students, is a member of the ACI Europe Economics Committee and special aviation adviser to the Board of London Luton Airport Ltd.
Research clients: MAVCOM, Heathrow Airport, Highlands & Islands Airports, ACI Europe, European Commission, Avinor, HITRANS, IFM, Lydd Airport Action Group, URS-Scott Wilson Consultants, Irish Government, Ecorys, HITRANS, INECO, Alan Stratford & Associates, LFV, Abertis, Highlands & Islands Enterprise, INAC, Aena, SBC Warburg, Natwest Markets, Barcelona Regional, Association of European Airlines, European Travel Research Foundation.
Bespoke CPD programmes: Kenya Airports Authority, Highlands & Islands Airports, Heathrow Airport, Schiphol Group / Aéroports de Paris, Vienna Airport, Birmingham Airport, Sulaymaniyah Airport (Iraq), GMR Hyderabad Airport, SITA, Tallinn Airport.
Teaching on degree partnerships: Singapore University of the Social Sciences, Muscat University
Articles In Journals
- Anuar NK, Pagliari R & Moxon R (2017) An evaluation of airport wayfinding and signage on senior driver behaviour and safety of airport road access design, Journal of Air Transport Studies, 8 (1) 108-129.
- Zeigler P, Pagliari R, Suau-Sanchez P, Malighetti P & Redondi R (2017) Low-cost carrier entry at small European airports: low-cost carrier effects on network connectivity and self-transfer potential, Journal of Transport Geography, 60 (April) 68-79.
- Alharthy AH, Rashid H, Pagliari R & Khan F (2017) Identification of strategy implementation influencing factors and their effects on the performance, International Journal of Business and Social Science, 8 (1) 34-44.
- Voltes-Dorta A & Pagliari R (2012) The impact of recession on airports' cost efficiency, Transport Policy, 24 211-222.
- Francesco AD & Pagliari R (2012) The potential impact of removing public service obligation regulations on air fares between the Italian Mainland and the island of Sardinia, Journal of Transport Geography, 24 332-339.
- Bradley A, Pagliari R & Moxon R (2012) Determination of baggage build opportunity and unit loading device storage requirements within domestic and international airport baggage hall operations., Journal of Airport Management, 6 (4) 358-372.
- Li WK, Miyoshi C & Pagliari R. (2012) Dual-hub network connectivity: An analysis of all Nippon Airways' use of Tokyo's Haneda and Narita airports, Journal of Air Transport Management, 23 12-16.
- Bradley A, Pagliari R & Moxon R (2012) Determination of baggage build opportunity and unit loading device storage requirements witihin domestic and international airport baggage hall operations, Journal of Airport Management, 6 (4) 358-372.
- Groppe M, Bui M & Pagliari R (2010) Applying functional analysis to study the airline pilot's perspective on human-human interactions during flight operation, Journal of Air Transport Studies, 1 (1) 62-81.
- Halpern N & Pagliari R (2008) Direct, Moderating and Mediating Effects of Market Orientation on the Performance of Airports in Europe's Peripheral Areas, Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 24 (1) 47-61.
- Halpern N & Pagliari R (2007) Governance structures and the market orientation of airports in Europe's peripheral areas, Journal of Air Transport Management, 13 (6) 376-382.
- Pagliari Romano (2005) Developments in the supply of direct international air services from airports in Scotland., Journal of Air Transport Management, 11 (4) 249-257.
- Pagliari RI (2005) Developments in the Supply of Direct International Air Services from Airports in Scotland, Journal of Air Transport Management, 11 (4) 249-257.
- Williams George & Pagliari Romano (2004) A comparative analysis of the application and use of public service obligations in air transport within the EU, Transport Policy.
- Lu CC & Pagliari RI (2004) Evaluationg the potential impact of alternative airport pricing approaches on social welfare., Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 40 (2) 1-17.
- Lu CC & Pagliari RI (2004) Evaluating the potential impact of alternative airport pricing approaches on social welfare, Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 40 (1) 1-17.
- Pagliari Romano (2003) The impact of airline franchising on air service provision in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, Journal of Transport Geography.
- Pagliari R (2001) Selling grandfather: an analysis of the latest EU proposals on slot trading, Air & Space Europe, 3 (1-2) 33-35.
- Anuar K, Pagliari R & Moxon R
Airport road access design solutions: a conceptual study of wayfinding systems. In: 4th European Conference on Human Centered Design for Intelligent Transport Systems, 2014, Vienna, 5 June 2014.
**publication details needed
- Groppe M, Pagliari R & Harris D (2010) Monitoring the airport-CDM turnround process: applying a qualitative cognitive model based on field observations. In: 27th congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences (ICAS 2010), Nice, 19-24 September 2010.
- Pagliari RI (2008) Airport economic regulation and capital investment: lessons from the United Kingdom experience. In: Presentation of the yearly fact book - ICCSAI 2008: air transport in Europe, Rome, 29 May 2008.
- Lei Z & Pagliari R (2013) Airport traffic growth and airport financial performance. In: Liberalisation in aviation: competition, cooperation and public policy. Forsyth P, Gillen D, Huschelrath K, Niemeier H, Wolf H (ed.), Farnham: Ashgate, p. 287-298.
- Pagliari R (2010) Trends in air service development within the Highlands and Islands of Scotland 1983-2006. In: Air transport provision in remoter regions. Williams G, Brathen S (ed.), Farnham: Ashgate, p. 21-46.