An experienced academic with over 20 years' experience in higher and continuing education and with business, education and training expertise. Experience of line management, business development and major strategic and change programme management. Roger has worked throughout Europe, in East and S.E. Asia, Africa and the Middle East where he developed and led IHRM, executive management, strategy, leadership and change management programmes. He has a strong commercial awareness acquired in various business development and consulting roles, and a record of delivering results and business and service improvement, across a wide range of industries in the public, defence & security, private and voluntary sectors. He has continued to teach mainly at the post-graduate level and supervised and examined at MBA, MSc, MA and PhD levels. Throughout this time he has continued to publish widely and presented at international conferences on management and development related topics.
Managing HRM in the wider international defence and security environment. Inter-agency working and the use of collaborative learning. Knowledge Management in the Defence Sector.
- Course Director, MSc Defence & Security Management in partnership with the Indonesian Defence University (IDU).
- Module Leader - Defence Management & Leadership.
- Module Leader - HRM & Change Management.
- Module Leader - Managing & Measuring Resources in the Security Sector.
- Module Leader - Knowledge Management & HRM.
- Module Leader - MDWSC including in: Central & East European Region ( Ukraine, Croatia, Romania, Armenia, Georgia, Kosovo); African States (Nigeria, Malawi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Zambia, South Africa); South East Asia Region (Indonesia, India, Nepal); Maghreb (Tunisia, Libya, Morocco, Malta); Middle East (UAE, Saudi Arabia); South America (Brazil, Uruguay).
- MoD, UK
- Indonesia Department of Defence
- United Nations
- The British Council
Articles In Journals
- Rupidara NS & Darby R (2017) Institutional influences on HRM in the Asian business environment: the case of Indonesia, Journal of Asia Business Studies , 11 (3) 262-277.
- Darby R & Kirke C (2016) The development of a KIM behavioural framework to support science and technology knowledge transfer in the UK defence sector. A case study approach, Journal of Information and Knowledge Management, 15 (3).
- Darby R (2015) Leadership development in the Asia-Pacific region. Building capacity in the Indonesia defence environment A case study, Journal of Management Development, 34 (5) 506-523.
- Darby R (2014) Inter-Agency Working and Co-operation: Learning from Collaboration in the Humanitarian and Security Sector Space, Journal of Humanitarian Assistance.
- Darby R (2013) Cyber Defence in Focus: Enemies Near and Far - or Just Behind the Firewall: The Case for Knowledge Management, Defence Studies, 12 (4) 523-538.
- Darby R & Williamson C (2012) Challenges to international human resource management: the management of employee risk in the humanitarian aid and security sectors., International Journal of Human Resources Development and Management, 12 (2012) 159-186.
- Darby R (2012) Cyber Defence in Focus: Enemies near and far - or just behind the firewall. the case for Knowledge Management, Defence Studies, 12 (4) 523-538.
- Studdard N & Darby R (2011) Social Entrepreneurship: Managing Strategic Decisions in Social Entrepreneurial Organisations, International Journal of Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 1 (1) 66-78.
- Studdard N & Darby R (2008) From social capital to human resource development : a cross cultural study of the role of HRM in innovation and entrepreneurship in high technology organisations, European Journal of International Management, 2 (3) 333-355.
- Studdart N & Darby R (2008) From social capital to human resource development: a cross cultural study of the role of HRM in innovation and entrepreneurship in high technology organisations, European Journal of International Management, 2 (3) 333-356.
- Darby R (2006) Training and Management Development in Chinese Multinational Enterprises, Employee Relations, 28 (4).
- Darby R (2003) 'E-commerce Marketing: Fad or Fiction? Management Competency in Mastering Emerging Technology. An international case analysis in the UAE, Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 16 (2).
- Siu NYM & Darby R (1999) Feeding the Dragon: A Study of Management Development Issues in a Foreign Joint Venture in the People's Republic of China, Research and Practice in Human Resource Management, 7 (1) 87-99.
- Siu NYM & Darby R (1995)
Management Development and Customer Orientation: The Case of Foreign Joint Ventures in the People's Republic of China, Asia Pacific Business Review, 2 (2) 60-74.
- Currie G & Darby R (1995) Competency-based Management Development; Rhetoric and Reality, Journal of European Industrial Training, 19 (5) 11-18.
- Darby R (1995) Developing the Euro-Manager: Managing Cultural Diversity, European Business Review, 95 (1) 13-15.
- Studdart NL & Darby R Social entrepreneurship: managing strategic decisions in Social Entrepreneurial organisations, International Journal of Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 1 (1) 66-78.
- Darby R & Williamson C Challenges to international human resource management: the management of employee risk in the humanitarian aid and security sectors, International Journal of Human Resources Development and Management, 12 (3) 159-186.
- Darby R & Kirke CMStG (2014) The Development of a KIM Behavioural Framework to support Knowledge Transfer in the Defence Sector - a Case Study Approach. In: 2014 IEEE International Conference on Management of Innovation and Technology (ICMIT 2014), Singapore, 23-25 September 2014.
- Darby R (2012) Distributed Leadership in Inter-Agency Working: Learning from Collaboration in the Humanitarian Space. In: 11th World Congress of the International Federation of Scholarly Associations of Management, Limerick, 26 June 2012.
- Darby R (2010) IHRM in states in transition: the provision of educational programmes in security co-operation. Triggering critical mass and the application of soft power. In: IHRM International Conference, Aston University, 9 June 2010.
- Studdard N & Darby R (2010) Social entrepreneurship: managing strategic decisions in social entrepreneurial organizations..
- Darby R (2009) The Provision of educational programmes in security cooperation: is situational awarenness key to success? Moving towards the third space.. In: Intnl Inter-University Seminar on Armed Forces, 1 January 2004.
- Darby R & Studdard N (2007) From Social Capital to Human Resource Development: A cross-cultural study of the role of HRM in innovation and entrepreneurship in hi-tech organizations..
- Darby R (2004) Training the Dragon: International Training and Management Development in Chinese Multinationals (MNEs). In: Western Academy of Management 8th International Conference, Shanghai, 1 June 2004.
- Darby R (2004) Cross-Cultural Context in the Implementation of Knowledge Management: A cross-cultural case study analysis. In: 5th European Conference on Knowledge Management, Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers, Paris, France, 1 September 2004.
- Matthews R, Darby R & Cleary LR. (2016) Southeast Asia. In: Security Sector Horizon-Scanning 2016 - Southeast Asia. Dorman AM, O’Brien T, Craig M (ed.), Shrivenham: Cranfield University, p. 1-22.
- Darby R (2016) Indonesia. In: Security Sector Horizon-Scanning 2016 - Southeast Asia. Dorman AM, O’Brien T, Craig M (ed.), Shrivenham: Cranfield University, p. 69-111.
- Darby R (2010) Capacity building in the Indonesian defence sector: after success....failure? Adding value through educational support.. In: Indonesian Defence University Yearbook, Jakarta, Indonesia: Tim Penulis, p. 237-261, ed. 1.
- Darby R (2006) Human Resource Management in the Defence environment. In: Managing Defence in a Democracy, Routledge.
- Darby R (1996) International human resource management: an act of remembrance? Supporting the expatriate manager.. In: Contemporary Developments in Human Resource Management. Beardwell I (ed.), Paris: ESKA Editions, p. 365-377, ed. 1.