Areas of expertise
- Aviation Management & Operations
BackgroundRobert is a Senior Lecturer in Air Transport Management and the Deputy Director of Education for the School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing.
Robert is the Course Director for the Executive MSc in Air Transport Management and the module leader for the airline economics, finance and strategy modules in the Centre for Air Transport Management. He also lectures on airport ground operations and air cargo. His research interests include airline marketing, strategy and economics as well as air cargo.
Furthermore, in his role as Deputy Director of Education for the School of Aerospace, Transport and Manufacturing, he is involved in academic quality (including course accreditations) and innovation in the School.
Robert has taught on short courses and customised executive development courses for:
- Aéroports de Paris
- China Eastern Airlines
- European Consortium for Advanced Training in Aerospace (ECATA)
- Incheon Airport
- Schiphol Group
- Singapore Airlines
- Singapore Aviation Academy
- South African Airways Technical
- Turkish Airlines
- Vienna Airport
and research and consultancy work for
- Heathrow Airport
Articles In Journals
- Sezgen E, Mason K & Mayer R (2019) Voice of airline passenger: a text mining approach to understand customer satisfaction, Journal of Air Transport Management, 77 (June) 65-74.
- Mayer R (2016) Airport classification based on cargo characteristics, Journal of Transport Geography, 54 (June) 53-65.
- Mayer R, Ryley T & Gillingwater D (2015) Eco-positioning of airlines: perception versus actual performance, Journal of Air Transport Management, 44-45 (May-June) 82-89.
- Mayer R, Ryley T & Gillingwater D (2014) The role of green marketing: insights from three airline case studies, Journal of Sustainable Mobility, 1 (2) 46-72.
- Mayer R, Ryley T & Gillingwater D (2012) Passenger perceptions of the green image associated with airlines, Journal of Transport Geography, 22 179-186.
- Mayer R (2018) Airline sustainability and corporate social responsibility. In: The Routledge Companion to Air Transport Management, Routledge, p. 277-296.
- Budd T & Mayer R (2017) Air cargo. In: The Routledge Handbook of Transport Economics, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, UK: Routledge, p. 385-403.
- Mayer R (2016) ICT for air freight management. In: E-Logistics: Managing Your Digital Supply Chains for Competitive Advantage, London: Kogan Page, p. 57-84.