Dr Robert A Allen is a Senior Lecturer at the Centre for Defence Management and Leadership (CDS, Shrivenham Campus) and Director of Masterships in Management and Leadership (School of Management, Bedford).
Dr. Allen holds a PhD from the University of South Wales (in expert mimicry) and Master’s of Science degree in procurement from University of Glamorgan. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply, a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and has a PG Cert in teaching. He is a member of University Senate and an Academic Conduct Officer.
He is Centre for Defence Management and Leadership lead on Organisational Behaviour and procurement and supply chain leadership and management skills. He has taught on a overseas programmes including the Baltic Defence College and the MDWSC programme.
Prior to joining Cranfield, Robby was and Senior Lecturer and Academic Lead for Procurement and Supply Chain at the University of Gloucestershire. Teaching in the UK and Kazahkstan. Robby entered academia from the UK Ministry of Defence where he served in various posts in the UK and Germany over a 24-year period. Roles included: Commercial Strategy Lead for Future Submarines (Nuclear Deterrent); Assistant Head of Commercial Policy; Internal Consultant Information and Systems and Services (ISS); British Forces Germany Health Service Procurement; and CRBE (REME) and Project JADE Commercial Lead (Second Gulf war). He has also held concurrent roles in project manager and was a Harassment Investigation Officer (HIO). He was First Lieutenant at MOD-Sponsored Cadet Forces (Sea Cadet unit TS TIGER).
Outside of the University he owns a micro record label specialising in developing and recording unsigned artists and singer-songwriter.
I am currently working in a number of fields related to organisational behaviour and encourage applications in regards to:
Neurodiversity (a cognitive process that covers a variety of conditions such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, autism spectrum disorder (ASD), Asperger’s syndrome, Tourette syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)) I am particularly interested in those wanting to examine how the neurodiverse manage within their working life.
Impression Management (the behavioural strategies that people use to create desired social images or identities). I am particularly interested in those seeking to further IM theory relating to leadership and followership.
Universal/General Darwinism (extending the principles of Darwinism beyond the original domain of biological evolution). I am particularly interested in its application across management and leadership and human behaviours.
Current areas of inetrest fall into two main categories:
In the area of Social Psychology and Organisational Behaviour Dr Allen is working on the perception-behaviour link of conscious mimicry; the use of impression management; the perception of expertise; neurodiversity; Social Enterprises and the effect on behaviour of threat/stress within the workplace.
In the area of Public Procurement recent work has centred on regulation and it effect on MOD personnel.
PP & CS Limited
Articles In Journals
- White GRT, Razak RA, Thomas A & Allen RA. (2021) Socio-economic sustainability of Halal food production: an examination of poultry processing in Malaysia, The International Journal of Management, 9 (1).
- Priscott T & Allen RA (2021) Human capital neurodiversity: an examination of stereotype threat anticipation, Employee Relations, Available online 8 February 2021.
- Allen R (2020) Sources of expertise in social enterprises, Strategic Change, 29 (4) 447-458.
- White GRT, Allen RA, Samuel A, Abdullah A, Thomas & R (2020) The antecedents of cyber-security implementation: a study of the cyber-preparedness of UK social enterprises, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Available online 10 June 2020.
- Allen RA, Panagoulis G & White GRT (2019) Examining operational wastes within Greek banking operations, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 69 (1) 153-168.
- White GRT, Abdullah A, Cicmil S, Allen R & Thomas R (2019) University-Industry collaboration through Knowledge Transfer Partnerships in the UK: an extension of Activity Theory, The International Journal of Management, 8 (4) 14-24.
- Butler LRA & Allen RA (2019) Governing compliance with public procurement law: a view from the UK ministry of defence, Public Procurement Law Review.
- Allen RA & White GRT (2017) A study of attitudes towards threat in the United Kingdom Ministry of Defence Commercial Function. In: BAM 2017, Warwick Business School, University of Warwick, 5-7 September 2017.
- Allen R & Renfrey S (2017) The perceived characteristics of 'Knowledgeable' by UK MOD procurement function staff. In: 2017 International Symposium on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (IEOM), Bristol, 24-25 July 2017.