Dr Robert A Allen is a Senior Lecturer at the Centre for Defence Management and Leadership (CDS, Shrivenham Campus) and Deputy Director of Masterships in Management and Leadership (School of Management, Bedford).
Dr. Allen holds a PhD from the University of South Wales and Master’s of Science degree in procurement from University of Glamorgan. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply. Prior to joining Cranfield he was Academic Lead for Procurement and Supply Chain at the University of Gloucestershire.
He entered academia from the UK Ministry of Defence where he served in various posts in the UK and Germany over a 24-year period. Roles included: Procurement Strategy Lead for Future Submarines (Nuclear Deterrent); Assistant Head of Commercial Policy; Internal Consultant Information and Systems and Services (ISS); British Forces Germany Health Service Procurement; and Project JADE Commercial Lead (Second Gulf war). He has also held concurrent roles in project manager and as a Harassment Investigation Officer (HIO). He was First Lieutenant at MOD-Sponsored Cadet Forces (Sea Cadet unit TS TIGER).
Outside of the University he owns a micro record label.
Current areas of research fall into two categories:
In the area of Social Psychology and Organisational Behaviour Dr Allen is working on the perception-behaviour link of conscious mimicry; the use of impression management; the perception of expertise; neurodiversity; Social Enterprises and the effect on behaviour of threat/stress within the workplace.
In the area of Public Procurement his recent work has centred on regulation and MOD personnel.
PP & CS Limited
Articles In Journals
- Allen R (2020) Sources of expertise in social enterprises, Strategic Change, 29 (4) 447-458.
- White GRT, Allen RA, Samuel A, Abdullah A, Thomas & R (2020) The antecedents of cyber-security implementation: a study of the cyber-preparedness of UK social enterprises, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Available online 10 June 2020.
- White GRT, Abdullah A, Cicmil S, Allen R & Thomas R (2019) University-Industry collaboration through Knowledge Transfer Partnerships in the UK: an extension of Activity Theory, The International Journal of Management, 8 (4) 14-24.
- Butler LRA & Allen RA (2019) Governing compliance with public procurement law: a view from the UK ministry of defence, Public Procurement Law Review.
- Allen RA, Panagoulis G & White GRT (2019) Examining operational waste within Greek banking operations, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 69 (1) 153-168.