Areas of expertise
- Armour systems
- Structures and Materials
- Vehicle Engineering & Mobility
Richard graduated from Warwick University with a MEng in mechanical engineering in 2009 before undertaking a PhD at Southampton University in auxetic materials which was awarded in 2015. Following completion of his PhD Richard worked in industry at an SME, before joining Cranfield University in 2016. In 2017 Richard became a Chartered Engineer with the IMechE.
Richard is primarily responsible for teaching Royal Engineers Force Protection Engineering Course that explores the fundamental theory that underpins security engineering. He is also the module leader for Ammunition systems 3, which explains the mechanisms by which different armour materials and structures withstand a variety of blast and ballistic threats. Richard has a number of different research interest including:
Blast effects (Structures, Vehicles and People)
Articles In Journals
- Thawani B, Hazael R & Critchley R (2021) Numerical modelling study of a modified sandbag system for ballistic protection, Journal of Computational Science, 53 (July) Article No. 101403.
- Bloodworth-Race S, Critchley R, Peare A, Hazael R & Temple T (2021) Testing the blast response of foam inserts for helmets, Heliyon, 7 (5) Article No. e06990.
- Malbon C, Knock C, Critchley R & Carr DJ (2021) The effect of underwired and sports bras on breast shape, key anthropometric dimensions, and body armour comfort., Police Journal, Available online 23 April 2021.
- Rao P, Painter J, Appleby-Thomas G, Critchley R, Wood D, Roberts & Hazael R (2020) Fragmentation studies by non-explosive cylinder expansion technique, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 146 (December) Article No. 103714.
- Critchley R, Smy V, Corni I, Wharton J, Walsh F, Wood R & Stokes K (2020) Experimental and computation assessment of thermomechanical effects during auxetic foam fabrication, Scientific Reports, 10 (1) Article No. 18301. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13186745.v1
- Malbon C, Knock C, Critchley R & Carr DJ (2020) The effect of breast size and bra type on comfort for UK female police officers wearing body armour, Applied Ergonomics, 84 (April) Article No. 103012. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.10059434.
- da Silva LA, Johnson S, Critchley R, Clements J, Norris K & Stennett C (2020) Experimental fragmentation of pipe bombs with varying case thickness, Forensic Science International, 306 (January) Article No. 110034.
- Arifurrahman F, Critchley R & Horsfall I (2020) Experimental and numerical study of auxetic sandwich panels on 160 grams of PE4 blast loading, Journal of Sandwich Structures and Materials, Available online 30 September 2020.
- Stevenson T, Carr DJ, Harrison K, Critchley R, Gibb IE & Stapley SA (2020) Ballistic research techniques: visualizing gunshot wounding patterns, International Journal of Legal Medicine, 134 (3) 1103-1114.
- May B, Critchley R, Carr D, Peare A & Dowen K (2020) Ballistic protective properties of materials representative of English civil war buff-coats and clothing, International Journal of Legal Medicine, 134 (5) 1949-1956.
- Bockmuehl CR, Tomkins N, Keiding J, Critchley R, Peare A & Carr DJ (2019) Woven fabrics in book conservation: an investigation into the properties of aerolinen and aerocotton, Studies in Conservation, 65 (7) 375-387.
- Critchley R, Standbridge K & Peare A (2019) The effects of crossbow impacts onto a common automotive vehicle side window – a preliminary study, International Journal of Legal Medicine, 134 (4) 1395-1401.
- Dodd S, Malbon C, Critchley R, Lankester C, O’Rourke S, Corke T & Carr DJ (2018) Effects of salt water on the ballistic protective performance of bullet-resistant body armour, Police Journal, 92 (3) 264-273.
- Critchley R, Peare A & Sheldon R (2018) Scaled simulation of the blast effects on structures using lego blocks: a pilot study, Explosives Engineering, December 2018 26-28.
- Critchley R, Corni I, Wharton JA, Walsh FC, Wood RJK & Stokes KR (2013) The Preparation of Auxetic Foams by Three-Dimensional Printing and Their Characteristics, Advanced Engineering Materials, 15 (10) 980-985.
- Critchley R, Corni I, Wharton JA, Walsh FC, Wood RJK & Stokes KR (2013) A review of the manufacture, mechanical properties and potential applications of auxetic foams, Physica Status Solidi B, 250 (10) 1963-1982.
- Critchley & R (2018) An Investigation into the Blast Effects on Civilian Personnel Protective Armour. In: GEMS 2018, Defence Academy, Shrivenham, 31 January - 1 February 2018.