Areas of expertise
- Water Science and Engineering
Dr Rachel Whitton joined Cranfield University as a Research Fellow in Biological Engineering in 2016. Rachel obtained her first degree from the University of Portsmouth before joining Cranfield University to undertake an MSc in Water and Wastewater Treatment followed by an EngD through the STREAM IDC. Her EngD research focused on the viability of microalgae for the remediation of wastewater effluents, with a focus on immobilised microalgae. Following completion of her studies, Rachel undertook research in conjunction with Thames Water using flow cytometry for the microbiological characterisation of water reuse treatment processes and distribution networks. Since returning to Cranfield, Rachel has further progressed research activities aligned to microalgae for wastewater remediation in addition to flow cytometry for potable water treatment processes and distribution networks.
Rachel is also part of the STREAM IDC management team.
- Microalgae for wastewater remediation
- Flow cytometry for assessing microbiological water quality
- Severn Trent Water
Articles In Journals
- Murujew O, Whitton R, Kube M, Fan L, Roddick F, Jefferson B & Pidou M (2019) Recovery and reuse of alginate in an immobilised algae reactor, Environmental Technology, Available online 9 October 2019.
- Whitton R, Ometto F, Villa R, Pidou M & Jefferson B (2019) Influence of light regime on the performance of an immobilised microalgae reactor for wastewater nutrient removal, Algal Research-Biomass Biofuels and Bioproducts, 44 (December) Article No. 101648. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.9892169
- Whitton R, Fane S, Jarvis P, Tupper M, Raffin M, Coulon F & Nocker A (2018) Flow cytometry-based evaluation of the bacterial removal efficiency of a blackwater reuse treatment plant and the microbiological changes in the associated non-potable distribution network, Science of the Total Environment, 645 (December) 1629-1620.
- Whitton R, Santinelli M, Pidou M, Ometto F, Henderson R, Roddick F, Jarvis P, Villa R & Jefferson B (2018) Tertiary nutrient removal from wastewater by immobilised microalgae: impact of wastewater nutrient characteristics and hydraulic retention time (HRT), H2Open Journal, 1 (1) 12-25.
- Whitton R, Le Mével A, Pidou M, Ometto F, Villa R & Jefferson B. (2016) Influence of microalgal N and P composition on wastewater nutrient remediation, Water Research, 91 371-378.
- Whitton R, Ometto F, Pidou M, Jarvis P, Villa R & Jefferson B (2015) Microalgae for municipal wastewater nutrient remediation: mechanisms, reactors and outlook for tertiary treatment, Environmental Technology Reviews, 4 (1) 133-148.
- Ometto F, Pozza C, Whitton R, Smyth B, Torres AG, Henderson RK, Jarvis P, Jefferson B & Villa R (2014) The impacts of replacing air bubbles with microspheres for the clarification of algae from low cell-density culture, Water Research, 53 (April) 168-179.
- Ometto F, Quiroga G, Pšeničkac P, Whitton R, Jefferson B & Villa R (2014) Impacts of microalgae pre-treatments for improved anaerobic digestion: Thermal treatment, thermal hydrolysis, ultrasound and enzymatic hydrolysis, Water Research, 65 350-361.
- Ometto F, Whitton R, Coulon F, Jefferson B & Villa R (2014) Improving the energy balance of an integrated microalgal wastewater treatment process, Waste and Biomass Valorization, 5 (2) 245-253.