Areas of expertise
- Advanced Casting Science and Technologies
- Industrial Automation
- Manufacturing Systems
- Precision Engineering
- Sustainable Manufacturing
Dr Prateek Saxena graduated from Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing, Jabalpur with a Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) degree in Mechanical Engineering in 2012. In 2013, he joined Industrial Tribology, Machine Dynamics and Maintenance Engineering Center (ITMMEC), Indian Institute of Technology Delhi for his postgraduate studies. He was the second rank holder in the center and was awarded Master of Technology (M.Tech) degree in 2015. During his M.Tech programme, he was awarded Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD) IIT Master Sandwich Scholarship. As a part of which, he spent 7 months at TU Dresden (Germany). Starting from August 2015, Dr Saxena joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering, at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) as a PhD student. He later continued to work in the department as a Research Assistant from Aug. 2018 until Feb. 2019
In his PhD project, he focused on Sustainable Manufacturing. His research emphasized on the development of sustainable tooling solutions for molding of paper packaging products. He was a part of the Green FIber Bottle project which was carried out in collaboration with Carlsberg Group, ecoXpac A/S, and Innovations Funds Denmark. The goal was to develop the world's first paper bottle for the intended use of carbonated beverages. In March 2019, Dr Saxena successfully defended his PhD title. During his stay at DTU, he supervised 3 master thesis and 6 student projects. He also taught in a master course on metalworking processes twice (in 2016 and 2017). Dr Saxena is a recipient of the prestigious Direktor Gustav Smidths og Hustru Marie Smidth's Legat, research grant for two consecutive years (2015 and 2016).
He joined Cranfield University in April 2019 as a Research Fellow in Sustainable Manufacturing Systems Center
Dr. Saxena's current research interests include:
Industry 4.0, Casting operations, Paper packaging products, Micro-manufacturing, Tooling and tooling process chains, Polymer tribology, Finite Element Modelling, Additive manufacturing, and Advance characterization techniques such as X-ray Computed Tomography and Synchrotron imaging.
Articles In Journals
- Saxena P, Stavropoulos P, Kechagias J & Salonitis K (2020) Sustainability assessment for manufacturing operations, Energies, 13 (11) Article No. 2730.
- Gorji NE, Saxena P, Corfield M, Clare A, Rueff J-P, Bogan J, González PGM, Snelgrove M, Hughes G, O'Connor R, Raghavendra R & Brabazon D (2020) A new method for assessing the recyclability of powders within powder bed fusion process, Materials Characterization, 161 (March) Article No. 110167.
- Singh H, Saxena P & Puri YM (2020) Materials selection and manufacturing of metal membranes for industrial applications, Materials Letters, 269 Article No. 127557.
- Zandi S, Saxena P & Gorji NE (2020) Numerical simulation of heat distribution in RGO-contacted perovskite solar cells using COMSOL, Solar Energy, 197 (February) 105-110.
- Pathak S, Saxena P, Ray AK, Großmann H & Kleinert R (2019) Irradiation based clean and energy efficient thermochemical conversion of biowaste into paper, Journal of Cleaner Production, 233 893-902.
- Saxena P & Bissacco G (2019) Assessment of the inflatable core assisted paper bottle moulding process, Procedia Manufacturing, 33 312-318.
- Saxena P, Bissacco G, Bedka FJ & Stolfi A (2018) Tooling for production of the Green Fiber Bottle, Procedia CIRP, 69 348-353.
- Didone M, Saxena P, Brilhuis-Meijer E, Tosello G, Bissacco G, Mcaloone TC, Pigosso DCA & Howard TJ (2017) Moulded pulp manufacturing: Overview and prospects for the process technology, Packaging Technology and Science, 30 (6) 231-249.
- Anand G & Saxena P (2016) A review on graphite and hybrid nano-materials as lubricant additives, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 149 Article No. 012201.
- Saxena P, Schinzel M, Andrich M & Modler N (2016) Development of a novel test-setup for identifying the frictional characteristics of carbon fibre reinforced polymer composites at high surface pressure, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 149 Article No. 012124.
- Singh H, Dharonde S, Saxena P, Mishra U, Puri YM & Kuthe AM (2019) Finite element analysis of induction heating process design for SMART foundry 2.0. In: COMSOL Conference 2019, Bengaluru, 28-29 November 2019.
- Saxena P, Bissacco G, Gundlach C, Dahl VA, Trinderup CH & Dahl AB (2019) Process characterization for moulding of paper bottles using computed tomography and structure tensor analysis. In: 9th Conference on Industrial Computed Tomography (iCT2019), Padova, 13-15 February 2019.
- Saxena P, Bissacco G, Stolfi A & De Chiffre L (2017) Characterizing green fiber bottle prototypes using computed tomography. In: 7th International Conference on Industrial Computed Tomography, Leuven, 7-9 February 2017.
- Saxena P & Bissacco G (2017) Application of silicone based elastomers for manufacturing of green fiber bottle. In: 11th International Workshop on Silicone Polymers 2017 (ISPO 2017), Snekkersten, 2-6 July 2017.
- Saxena P & Bissacco G (2016) Moulding process characterization of paper bottles using computed tomography. In: Pan Pacific Conference, Seoul, 25-28 October 2016.
- Meijer EB & Saxena P (2015) The sustainable future of packaging: A biodegradable paper beer bottle. In: Sustain DTU 2015, Lyngby, 17 December 2015.