Contact Dr Pietro Goglio
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754293
- Email: Pietro.Goglio@cranfield.ac.uk
Areas of expertise
Dr Pietro Goglio is Lecturer in LCA and systems modelling. He carried out his University studies in Agricultural Sciences and a PhD in AgroBiosciences and Environmental sciences. His past research focused mainly in LCA, greenhouse gas estimation and monitoring, agroecosystem modelling. He has also carried out research in the field of bioenergy, with lignocellulosic bioenergy and transformation systems. He has worked with most temperate arable crops including wheat, barley, maize, clover, alfalfa, triticale, oilseed rape, Ethiopian mustard, sunflower and sorghum. He has also carried out research in assessing the biomass potential and resource use at territorial level. He has excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills in at least 3 languages (English, French and Italian) to ensure proper interpretation and plain language explanation of scientific research to various echelons of audiences.
Dr Pietro Goglio has a strong track record in publications (i-10=6, h-factor=7) in several peer reviewed journals related to bioenergy such as Journal of Cleaner Production, Science of the Total Environment, Biomass and Bioenergy. More recently, Dr Pietro Goglio has been participating to the training course for the Post-Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice and has been appointed Guest Editor for a Special Volume in Bioeconomy of the Journal of Cleaner Production. He is focusing in environmental assessment of production chains and he has a strong agricultural background. He is currently focusing his research in developing approaches to combine science with LCA methodologies for agricultural, energy, waste systems which better reflect the characteristics of the systems.
ClientsUnilever, Cawleys, Biogen, AAFC (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada), INRA (French National Institute of Agronomic Research)
Articles In Journals
- Goglio P, Brankatschk G, Trydeman Knudsen M, Williams AG & Nemecek T (2018) Addressing crop interactions within cropping systems in LCA, International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 23 (9) 1735-1743.
- Goglio P, Smith WN, Worth DE, Grant BB, Desjardins RL, Chen W, Tenuta M, McConkey BG, Williams A & Burgess P (2018) Development of Crop.LCA, an adaptable screening life cycle assessment tool for agricultural systems: a Canadian scenario assessment, Journal of Cleaner Production, 172 (January) 3770-3780.
- Goglio P, Smith WN, Grant BB, Desjardins RL, Gao X, Hanis K, Tenuta M, Campbell CA, McConkey BG, Nemecek T, Burgess PJ & Williams AG (2018) A comparison of methods to quantify greenhouse gas emissions of cropping systems in LCA, Journal of Cleaner Production, 172 (January) 4010-4017.
- Ingrao C, Bacenetti J, Bezama A, Blok V, Geldermann J, Goglio P, Koukios E, Lindner M, Nemecek T, Siracusa V, Zabaniotou A & Huisingh D. (2016) Agricultural and forest biomass for food, materials and energy: Bio-economy as the cornerstone to cleaner production and more sustainable consumption patterns for accelerating the transition towards equitable, sustainable, post fossil-carbon societies [Commentary], Journal of Cleaner Production, 117 4-6.
- Goglio P, Smith W, Grant B, Desjardins R, McConkey B, Campbell C & Nemecek T (2015) Accounting for soil carbon changes in agricultural life cycle assessment (LCA): A review, Journal of Cleaner Production, 104 23-39.
- Uzoma K, Smith W, Grant B, Desjardins R, Gao X, Hanis K, Tenuta M, Goglio P & Li C (2015) Assessing the effects of agricultural management on nitrous oxide emissions using flux measurements and the DNDC model, Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 206 71-83.
- Goglio P, Grant B, Smith W, Desjardins R, Worth D, Zentner R & Malhi S (2014) Impact of management strategies on the global warming potential at the cropping system level, Science of the Total Environment, 490 921-933.
- Goglio P, Colnenne-David C, Laville P, Doré T & Gabrielle B (2013) 29 % N2O emission reduction from a modelled low-greenhouse gas cropping system during 2009-2011, Environmental Chemistry Letters, 11 (2) 143-149.
- Goglio P, Bonari E & Mazzoncini M (2012) LCA of cropping systems with different external input levels for energetic purposes, Biomass and Bioenergy, 42 33-42.
- Goglio P & Owende P (2009) A screening LCA of short rotation coppice willow (Salix sp.) feedstock production system for small-scale electricity generation, Biosystems Engineering, 103 (3) 389-394.
- Chowdhury JI, Balta-Ozkan N, Goglio P, Hu Y, Varga L & McCabe L (2018) Potentials of load-shifting with renewable energy storage: An environmental and economic assessment for the UK. In: 36th USAEE/IAEE North America Conference, "Evolving Energy Realities: Adapting to What's Next", Washington, DC, 23-26 September 2018.