Areas of expertise
Dr Delafin obtained his Bachelors and Masters degrees in Fluid Mechanics and Energetics from Grenoble Institute of Technology in France in 2008 and 2010 respectively, and his PhD in Fluid Mechanics and Energy from the University of Western Brittany (France) in 2014.
During his PhD at the Naval Academy Research Insitute (France), his research was focused on the laminar to turbulent transition on hydrofoils through experiments and RANS and LES calculations as well as the hydrodynamic performance of a variable-pitch vertical-axis tidal turbine through RANS calculations. He was also involved in teaching activities in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Experimental Fluid Dynamics, thermodynamics and vibration.
He joined Cranfield University in December 2014 as a Research Fellow in Aerodynamics and CFD to work on a novel vertical-axis wind turbine.
Dr Delafin is currently working on a 30 kW novel vertical-axis wind turbine funded by Aerogenerator Project Limited (APL) with the support of the UK Government's Department of Energy & Climate Change.
He is in charge of the aerodynamic design of the turbine. Fast methods are used (Double Multiple Streamtube and vortex) to get a preliminary design. Then CFD (RANS) calculations are run to confirm the design and obtain more accurate data of the turbine performance.
- Aerogenerator Project Limited (APL)
- Department of Energy & Climate Change (DECC)
Articles In Journals
- Delafin PL, Nishino T, Kolios A & Wang L (2017) Comparison of low-order aerodynamic models and RANS CFD for full scale 3D vertical axis wind turbines, Renewable Energy, 109 (August) 564-575.
- Delafin PL & Nishino T (2017) Momentum balance in a fully developed boundary layer over a staggered array of NREL 5MW rotors, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 854 (conference 1, article number 012009).
- Wang L, Kolios A, Nishino T, Delafin PL & Bird T (2016) Structural optimisation of vertical-axis wind turbine composite blades based on finite element analysis and genetic algorithm, Composite Structures, 153 (October) 123-138.
- Manni L, Nishino T & Delafin PL (2016) Numerical study of airfoil stall cells using a very wide computational domain, Computers and Fluids, 140 260-269.
- Delafin PL, Nishino T, Wang L & Kolios A (2016) Effect of the number of blades and solidity on the performance of a vertical axis wind turbine, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 753 (2. article number 022033).