Contact Dr Peter Yuen
- Tel: +44 (0) 1793 785205
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of expertise
- Biomedical Engineering
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Defence Sensors
- Instrumentation & Sensors
- Sensor Technologies
Peter Yuen started his career with Asahi Kasei Industry Co. Ltd., Fuji, Japan in 1997 as a Chief scientist before moving to the UK in 1999 to take up a position as Principal Scientist for the Defence Evaluation Research Agency (later QinetiQ) at Winfrith. In 2003 he moved to BAE Systems as a Senior Principal Scientist at their Advanced Technology Centre in Bristol.
Peter joined Cranfield University in 2007 as a Senior Lecturer in Electro-Optics and Remote Sensing and was promoted to Reader in 2013.
Peter is the holder of several distinguished visiting positions in the People's Republic of China:
- 2013-present: Visiting Professor in Spectral Sensing, Dalian Polytechnic University
- 2012-present: Distinguished Professor in Remote Sensing, Nanchang HangKong University
- 2011-present: Visiting Professor in Electro-Optics and Hyperspectral Imaging, South West University, Chongqing.
He is affiliated to the following professional organisations:
- Fellow of Institute of Physics (FInstP) since 2002
- Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and Its Applications (FIMA) since 2002
- Chartered Mathematics (CMath) since 1999
- Chartered Physicist (CPhy) since 1991.
Peter Yuen is a Reader in electro-optics and remote sensing. He has 28 years of research experiences in academia and both corporate and government laboratories. Peter has 72 journal and conference publications in the areas of:
- semiconductor physics
- defence science
- electro-pptics including image processing
- remote sensing
- hyperspectral imaging
- machine vision.
Peter has expertise in the following areas of hyperspectral and multispectral remote sensing:
- diffuse optical imaging for biomedical applications, eg in-vivo blood oxygenation assessment, tumour classification, affective computing
- next generation snap shot high throughput multispectral imaging systems
- spectral constancy including shadow removal
- band selections
- tomography including x-ray back scatter imaging
- topological and hyperspectral algorithm development for target detection in natural and urban environments
- hyperspectral diffused optical tomography for target recognition in undersea environments
- trace detection of impurities in water using nanoplasmonic spectral differential absorption LIDAR (LIght raDAR).
He is also active in the area of machine vision:
- colour constancy to improve image visualisation
- real time people tracking in multiple CCTV networks using colour constancy and tone compression
- automatic target recognitions using cortex-like machine vision
- compressive coded aperture imaging
- high speed imaging - textural and spectral sensing for classification of small grains of targets.
- Electro Magnetic Remote Sensing Defence Technology Centre
- Systems Engineering for Autonomous Systems (SEAS) Defence Technology Centre
- Home Office
- Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
- European Defence Agency
- Lockheed Martin
- British Transport Police
- EPSRC-Technology Strategy Board
- Procter & Gamble
- Counter Terrorism Centre
- Nanchang Hang Kong University
- Dalian Polytechnic University
- Zhejiang University
- Hangzhou Denzi University
- South West University
Articles In Journals
- Zabalza J, Qing C, Yuen P, Sun G, Zhao H & Ren J (2018) Fast implementation of two-dimensional singular spectrum analysis for effective data classification in hyperspectral imaging, Journal of The Franklin Institute - Engineering and Applied Mathematics, 355 (4) 1733-1751.
- Qiao T, Yang Z, Ren J, Yuen P, Zhao H, Sun G, Marshall S & Benediktsson J A (2017) Joint bilateral filtering and spectral similarity-based sparse representation: A generic framework for effective feature extraction and data classification in hyperspectral imaging, Pattern Recognition, On Line First.
- Wang Y & Yuen P (2017) Image dehazing based on partitioning reconstruction and entropy-based alternating fast-weighted guided filters, Optical Engineering, 56 (5) Article No. 53111.
- Chen T, Yuen P, Richardson MA, She Z & Liu G (2015) Wavelength and model selection for hyperspectral imaging of tissue oxygen saturation, Imaging Science Journal, 63 (5) 290-295.
- Chen T, Yuen P, Richardson M, Liu G & She Z (2014) Detection of psychological stress using a hyperspectral imaging technique , IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing, 5 (4) 391-405.
- Soori U, Yuen PWT, Han JW, Ibrahim I, Chen WT,, Hong K, Merfort C & James D & Richardson MA (2013) Target recognitions in multiple-camera closed-circuit television using color constancy, Optical Engineering, 52 (4) 047202-1-047202-15.
- Soori U, Yuen PWT, Ibrahim I, Han JW, Hong K, Chen WT, Merfort C, James D & Richardson M (2013) Target recognitions in multiple camera CCTV using colour constancy, Optical Engineering, 52 (4).
- Ibrahim I, Yuen P, Hong K, Chen T, Soori U, Jackman J & Richardson M (2012) Illumination invariance and shadow compensation via spectro-polarimetry technique, Optical Engineering, 51 (10).
- Tsitiridis A, Richardson M & Yuen PWT (2012) Salient feature-based object recognition in cortex-like machine vision, Engineering Intelligent Systems, 20 (1-2) 59-72.
- Jackman J, Richardson M, Butters B, Walmsley R, Yuen P & James D (2011) Simulating pre-emptive countermeasures of varying performance against a Man-Portable Air-Defence (MANPAD) system with a track angle bias counter-countermeasure (CCM), Infrared Physics and Technology, 54 (2) 121-129.
- Ibrahim I, Yuen P, Tsitiridis A, Hong K, Chen T, Soori U, Jackman J, James D & Richardson M Spectral constancy on hyperspectral imageries, Defence S&T Technical Bulletin, 4 (1) 19-30.
- Jackman James, Richardson Mark, Butters Brian, Walmsley Roy, Millwood Nic, Yuen Peter & James David (2010) The Effect of Pre-emptive Flare Deployment on First Generation Man-Portable Air-Defence (MANPAD) Systems, Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation, 7 (3) 181-189.
- Yuen PWT & Richardson M (2010) An introduction to hyperspectral imaging and its application for security, surveillance and target acquisition, Imaging Science Journal, 58 (5) 241-253.
- Yuen P, Ibrahim I, Hong K, Chen T, Tsitiridis A, Kam F, Jackman J, James D & Richardson M Classification enhancements in hyperspectral remote sensing using atmospheric correction preprocessing technique, Defence S&T Technical Bulletin, 2 (2) 91-99.
- Yuen P (2003) Surface and interface roughness studies by grazing incidence x-ray scattering method, Transactions- Materials Research Society of Japan, 28 3-6.
- Yuen P (2001) Measurement of extreme weak signal embedded in large non-stationary background typical of earth's magnetic field, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 226-230 1273-1277.
- Liu Y, Yang L, Han J, Lu B, Yuen P, Zhao Y & Song R (2017) Engaging students for the learning and assessment of the advanced computer graphics module using the latest technologies. In: International Conference on Education and New Development, Lisbon, 24-26 June 2017.
- Piper J, Yuen P, Godfree P, Ding M, Soori U, Selvagumar S & James D (2016) Comparative noise performance of a coded aperture spectral imager. In: Emerging Imaging and Sensing Technologies, Edinburgh, 28-29 September 2016.
- Tsitiridis A, Yuen PWT, Ibrahim I, Soori U, Chen T, Hong K, Wang ZJ, James D & Richardson M (2011) Enhanced object recognition in cortex-like machine vision.
- Chen T., Yuen P., Hong K., Ibrahim I., Tsitiridis A., Soori U., Jackman J., James D. & Richardson M. (2011) Assessment of tissue blood perfusion in-vitro using hyperspectral and thermal imaging techniques. In: 5th International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering, (iCBBE) 2011, Wuhan, 10-12 May 2011.
- Soori U, Yuen P, Ibrahim I, Han J, Tsitiridis A, Hong K, Chen T, Jackman J, James D & Richardson M (2011) Colour invariant target recognition in multiple camera CCTV surveillance. In: Optics and Photonics for Counterterrorism and Crime Fighting VII; Optical Materials in Defence Systems Technology VIII; and Quantum-Physics-based Information Security, Prague, 19-21 September 2011.
- Tsitiridis A, Yuen P, Hong K, Chen T, Ibrahim I., Jackman J, James D & Richardson M (2010) An improved Cortex-like neuromorphic system for target recognitions. In: Optics and Photonics for Counterterrorism and Crime Fighting VI and Optical Materials in Defence Systems Technology VII, Toulouse, 20-23 September 2010.
- Jackman J, Richardson M, Yuen P, James D, Butters B, Walmsley R & Millwood N (2010) Effect of payload size on pre-emptive flare countermeasure against Man-Portable Air-Defence (MANPAD) system. In: Technologies for Optical Countermeasures VII, Toulouse, 22-23 September 2010.
- Jackman J., Richardson M., Butters B., Walmsley R., Millwood N., Yuen P. & James D. (2010) Effect of pre-emptive flares on Man-Portable Air-Defence (MANPAD) systems with a track angle bias counter-countermeasure (CCM). In: Technologies for Optical Countermeasures VII, Toulouse, 22-23 September 2010.
- Ibrahim I, Yuen P, Tsitiridis A, Hong K, Chen T, Jackman J, James D & Richardson M. (2010) Illumination independent object recognitions in hyperspectral imaging. In: Optics and Photonics for Counterterrorism and Crime Fighting VI and Optical Materials in Defence Systems Technology VII, Toulouse, 20-23 September 2010.
- Yuen P, Tsitiridis A, Hong K, Chen T, Kam F, Jackman J, James D & Richardson M (2009) A cortex like neuromorphic target recognition & tracking in cluttered background. In: 3rd International Conference on Crime Detection and Prevention (ICDP 2009), London, 3 December 2009.
- Jackman J, Richardson M, Butters B, Walmsley R, Millwood N, Yuen P & James D (2009) Analysis of first generation MANPAD attacks on fast jets. In: Technologies for Optical Countermeasures VI, Berlin, 31 August - 1 September 2009.
- Hong K, Yuen P, Chen T, Tsitiridis A, Kam F, Jackman J, James D, Richardson M, Oxford W, Piper J, Thomas F & Lightman S (2009) Detection and classification of stress using thermal imaging technique. In: SPIE: Optics and photonics for counterterrorism and crime fighting V, Berlin, 31 August - 1 September 2009.
- Yuen P, Hong K, Chen T, Tsitiridis A, Kam F, Jackman J, James D, Richardson M, Williams L, Oxford W, Piper J, Thomas F & Lightman S (2009) Emotional & physical stress detection and classification using thermal imaging technique. In: 3rd International Conference on Crime Detection and Prevention (ICDP 2009), London, 3 December 2009.
- Chen T, Yuen P, Hong K, Tsitiridis A, Kam F, Jackman J, James D, Richardson M, Oxford W, Piper J, Thomas F & Lightman S (2009) Remote sensing of stress using Electro-optics imaging technique. In: SPIE: Optics and photonics for counterterrorism and crime fighting V, Berlin, 31 August - 1 September 2009.