Areas of expertise
- Biomedical Engineering
- Biosensors & Diagnostics
- Computing, Simulation & Modelling
- Defence Sensors
- Environment and Health
- Food Safety
- Industrial Automation
- Instrumentation, Sensors and Measurement Science
- Monitoring and Environmental Informatics
- Sensor Technologies
Peter Yuen obtained his First Class Honour in Physics and subsequently a PhD in Semiconductor Physics from the Imperial College, University of London, in 1987. Peter was accredited Fellows of the Institute of Physics (FInstP) and the Institute of Mathematics and its applications (FIMA) in 2001. Peter had about 10 years of working experience with corporate laboratory such as the BAE Systems, the Defence Evaluation Research Agency (DERA) and the Asahi Kasei (Japan) between 1997-2007 period. Peter is currently a Reader in remote sensing & electro-optics at Cranfield University since 2013. Peter has 92 peer-reviewed journal and conference papers publications in semiconductor physics, sensors, defence science, Electro-Optics, image processing including remote sensing, hyperspectral imaging, machine vision and machine learning disciplines, with over 640 journal citations from his recent 5 year publications since 2016 (H-index 11). Peter has contributed 5 of his best journal papers towards the REF2020 entry, and he is an active peer reviewer for high impact factor journals such as the IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing (TGRS), Neural Computing and Applications (NCAA), Optics & Laser Technology (JOLT), Optical Engineering (OE), MDPI’s Remote Sensing, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture (COMPAG) etc. Peter’s current research includes computer vision using statistical machine learning technique, as well as artificial intelligence deep learning methods for the detection of 'difficult' targets from heavily cluttered and camouflaged backgrounds.
Peter’s team has strong collaboration with universities in the UK and world-wide, for the R&D of remote sensing technology specifically for agricultural, environmental, industrial and security applications. Collaborators are mostly academic institutes in the UK and Far-East (China, India & Singapore), geared for the development of next generation sensor and sensing system for surveillance and world-monitoring applications towards the clean air objective. We have strong link with a few agricultural universities in China (e.g. Nanjing Agricultural University, Shanxi Agricultural University, Jiangsu University etc) and in India/Pakistan. Collaborations are taken place through joint projects funded by government bodies such as EPSRC/NERC, Royal Society, DSTL and Newton Fund etc. We welcome full time, part time and exchange researchers and students to work with us either on-site or remotely.
Current research topics in the team include :
- Electro-optics research for the development of efficient snap-shot multispectral imaging system.
- Compressive imaging algorithm development to achieve high degree of spectral reconstruction accuracy from the snap-shot multispectral imaging data.
- Hyperspectral scene simulations and their validations: to acquire an end-to-end realistic hyperspectral scene simulation capability within the next 5 years.
- Reduction of dimensionality in hyperspectral imaging through band selections for the enhancement of efficacy and efficiency of detecting ‘difficult’ targets.
- Data driven optimisation of deep learning artificial intelligence methodology for the detection and classification of high dimensional data.
- Efficacy, efficiency, robustness and flexibility of deep learning AI methodology in comparison with statistical machine learning algorithms for target detections in high dimensional hyperspectral imaging data.
- Efficiency of X-ray imaging using coded aperture compressive sensing technique.
- Robustness and efficiency of deep learning for the analysis of big data which consists of multi-modal of imaging data.
- Atmospheric correction of hyperspectral scene in the wide spectrum ranging from visible to near infra-red and far-infrared domains.
- Illumination independent targets detection methodology development.
- Diffuse optical imaging for biomedical applications such as in-vivo blood oxygenation assessment, tumour classification, affective computing.
- Spectral constancy including shadow removal.
- Tomography including the development of x-ray back scatter imaging system.
- Hyperspectral diffused optical tomography for target recognition in undersea environments.
- Colour constancy for improving image visualisation and target detection.
Automatic target recognitions using cortex-like machine vision in the spectral and spatial domains.
- Electro Magnetic Remote Sensing Defence Technology Centre
- Systems Engineering for Autonomous Systems (SEAS) Defence Technology Centre
- Home Office
- Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure (CPNI)
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL)
- European Defence Agency (EDA)
- Lockheed Martin
- British Transport Police
- EPSRC-Technology Strategy Board
- Procter & Gamble (P&G)
- Counter Terrorism Centre (CTC)
- Roke Manor Research
- 2Excel Aviation
- Rothamsted Research
- Nanjing Agricultural University
- Shanxi Agricultural University
Articles In Journals
- Sun H, Ren J, Zhao H, Yuen P & Tschannerl J (2021) Novel Gumbel-Softmax trick enabled concrete autoencoder with entropy constraints for unsupervised hyperspectral band selection, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Available online 4th June 2021.
- Xu C, Yuen P, Lang W, Xin R, Mao K & Jiang H (2021) Generative detect for occlusion object based on occlusion generation and feature completing, Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, 78 (July) Article No. 103189.
- Moya Torres R , Yuen PWT, Yuan C, Piper J, McCullough C & Godfree P (2020) Spatial spectral band selection for enhanced hyperspectral remote sensing classification applications, Journal of Imaging, 6 (9) Article No. 87.
- L Juan, Hu J & Yuen P (2020) Extinction and permanence of the predator-prey system with general functional response and impulsive control, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 88 (December) 55-67.
- Can X, Jiang H, Yuen P, Khan ZA & C Yao (2020) MHW-PD: a robust rice panicles counting algorithm based on deep learning and multiscale hybrid window, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 173 (June) Article No. 105375.
- Yuan L, Zhu X, Sun Q, Liu H, Yuen P & Liu Y. (2020) Automatic extraction of material defect size by infrared image sequence, Applied Sciences, 10 (22) Article No. 8248.
- Torres RM, Yuen PW, Yuan C, Piper J, McCullough C & Godfree P (2020) Spatial spectral and selection for enhanced hyperspectral remote sensing classification applications., Journal of Imaging, 6 (9) Article No. 87.
- Wang S, Cheng X, Zheng D, Song H, Han P & Yuen P. (2020) Prediction of the Soil Organic Matter (SOM) Content from Moist Soil Using Synchronous Two-Dimensional Correlation Spectroscopy (2D-COS) Analysis., Sensors, 20 (17) Article No. 4822.
- Zahidi UA, Yuen PWT, Piper J & Godfree PS (2020) An end-to-end hyperspectral scene simulator with alternate adjacency effect models and its comparison with cameoSim, Remote Sensing, 12 (1) Article No. 74.
- Chen W, Yang Z, Ren J, Cao J, Cai N, Zhao H & Yuen P (2020) MIMN-DPP: Maximum-information and minimum-noise determinantal point processes for unsupervised hyperspectral band selection, Pattern Recognition, 102 Article No. 107213.
- Tschannerl J, Ren J, Zhao H, Kao FJ, Marshall S & Yuen P (2019) Hyperspectral image reconstruction using multi-colour and time-multiplexed LED illumination, Optics and Lasers in Engineering, 121 (October) 352-357.
- Tschannerl J, Ren J, Yuen P, Sun G, Zhao H, Yang Z, Wang Z & Marshall S (2019) MIMR-DGSA: unsupervised hyperspectral band selection based on information theory and a modified discrete gravitational search algorithm, Information Fusion, 51 (November) 189-200.
- Ghahremani M, Liu Y, Yuen P & Behera A (2019) Remote sensing image fusion via compressive sensing, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 152 (June) 34-48.
- Chatterjee A & Yuen PWT (2019) Endmember learning with k-means through SCD model in hyperspectral scene reconstructions, Journal of Imaging, 5 (11) Article No. 85.
- Chatterjee A & Yuen PWT (2019) Sample selection with SOMP for robust basis recovery in sparse coding dictionary learning, IEEE Letters of the Computer Society, 2 (3) 28-31.
- Zahidi UA, Chatterjee A & Yuen PW (2019) A radiative transfer model-based multi-layered regression learning to estimate shadow map in hyperspectral images, Machine Learning and Knowledge Extraction, 1 (3) 904-927.
- Ding M, Yuen PW, Piper J, Godfree P, Chatterjee A, Zahidi U, Selvagumar S, James D & Richardson M (2019) Design of a tunable snapshot multispectral imaging system through ray tracing simulation, Journal of Imaging, 5 (1) Article No. 9.
- Qiao T, Yang Z, Ren J, Yuen P, Zhao H, Sun G, Marshall S & Benediktsson J A (2018) Joint bilateral filtering and spectral similarity-based sparse representation: A generic framework for effective feature extraction and data classification in hyperspectral imaging, Pattern Recognition, 77 (May) 316-328.
- Zabalza J, Qing C, Yuen P, Sun G, Zhao H & Ren J (2018) Fast implementation of two-dimensional singular spectrum analysis for effective data classification in hyperspectral imaging, Journal of The Franklin Institute - Engineering and Applied Mathematics, 355 (4) 1733-1751.
- Wang Y & Yuen P (2017) Image dehazing based on partitioning reconstruction and entropy-based alternating fast-weighted guided filters, Optical Engineering, 56 (5) Article No. 53111.
- Povey MJ, Blakemore I, Al-Lashi R, Tiede C, Zou X, Huang X, Shi J & Yuen P (2016) An integrated sensor platform for food reassurance, Food Science and Technology -London-, 30 (1) 37-39.
- Chen T, Yuen P, Richardson MA, She Z & Liu G (2015) Wavelength and model selection for hyperspectral imaging of tissue oxygen saturation, Imaging Science Journal, 63 (5) 290-295.
- Chen T, Yuen P, Richardson M, Liu G & She Z (2014) Detection of psychological stress using a hyperspectral imaging technique, IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing, 5 (4) 391-405.
- Soori U, Yuen PWT, Han JW, Ibrahim I, Chen WT,, Hong K, Merfort C & James D & Richardson MA (2013) Target recognitions in multiple-camera closed-circuit television using color constancy, Optical Engineering, 52 (4) 047202-1-047202-15.
- Soori U, Yuen PWT, Ibrahim I, Han JW, Hong K, Chen WT, Merfort C, James D & Richardson M (2013) Target recognitions in multiple camera CCTV using colour constancy, Optical Engineering, 52 (4) Article No. 047202.
- Ibrahim I, Yuen P, Hong K, Chen T, Soori U, Jackman J & Richardson M (2012) Illumination invariance and shadow compensation via spectro-polarimetry technique, Optical Engineering, 51 (10).
- Tsitiridis A, Richardson M & Yuen PWT (2012) Salient feature-based object recognition in cortex-like machine vision, Engineering Intelligent Systems, 20 (1-2) 59-72.
- Jackman J, Richardson M, Butters B, Walmsley R, Yuen P & James D (2011) Simulating pre-emptive countermeasures of varying performance against a Man-Portable Air-Defence (MANPAD) system with a track angle bias counter-countermeasure (CCM), Infrared Physics and Technology, 54 (2) 121-129.
- Ibrahim I, Yuen P, Tsitiridis A, Hong K, Chen T, Soori U, Jackman J, James D & Richardson M Spectral constancy on hyperspectral imageries, Defence S&T Technical Bulletin, 4 (1) 19-30.
- Jackman James, Richardson Mark, Butters Brian, Walmsley Roy, Millwood Nic, Yuen Peter & James David (2010) The Effect of Pre-emptive Flare Deployment on First Generation Man-Portable Air-Defence (MANPAD) Systems, Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation, 7 (3) 181-189.
- Yuen PWT & Richardson M (2010) An introduction to hyperspectral imaging and its application for security, surveillance and target acquisition, Imaging Science Journal, 58 (5) 241-253.
- Yuen P, Ibrahim I, Hong K, Chen T, Tsitiridis A, Kam F, Jackman J, James D & Richardson M Classification enhancements in hyperspectral remote sensing using atmospheric correction preprocessing technique, Defence S&T Technical Bulletin, 2 (2) 91-99.
- Yuen P (2003) Surface and interface roughness studies by grazing incidence x-ray scattering method, Transactions- Materials Research Society of Japan, 28 3-6.
- Yuen PWT (2001) Measurement of extreme weak signal embedded in large non-stationary background typical of earth’s magnetic field, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 226-230 Part 2 (May) 1273-1277.
- Yuen P (2001) Measurement of extreme weak signal embedded in large non-stationary background typical of earth's magnetic field, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 226-230 1273-1277.
- Matsuno SY, Kuba M, Nayuki T & Soga S and Yuen PWT (2000) Microstructural characterisation of thin films and surfaces by a new grazing incident x-ray diffractometer, Rigakuryoho Kagaku, 17 (2).
- Pullin MJ, Hardaway HR, Heber JD, Phillips CC, Yuen WT, Stradling RA & Moeck P (1999) Room-temperature InAsSb strained-layer superlattice light-emitting diodes at λ = 4.2 μm with AlSb barriers for improved carrier confinement, Applied Physics Letters, 74 (16) 2384-2386.
- Tang PJP, Hardaway H, Heber J, Phillips CC, Pullin MJ, Stradling RA, Yuen WT & Hart L (1998) Efficient 300K light-emitting diodes at λ 〜 5 and 〜 8 μm from InAs/In(As1-xSbx) single quantum wells, Applied Physics Letters, 72 (26) 3473-3475.
- Li YB, Bain DJ, Hart L, Livingstone M, Ciesla CM, Pullin MJ, Tang PJP, Yuen WT, Galbraith I, Phillips CC, Pidgeon CR & Stradling RA (1997) Band alignments and offsets in In(As,Sb)/InAs superlattices, Physical Review B (Condensed Matter), 55 (7) Article No. 4589.
- Tang PJP, Pullin MJ, Li YB, Phillips CC, Stradling RA, Chung SJ, Yuen WT, Hart L, Bain DJ & Galbraith I (1996) A magneto-photoluminescence investigation of the band offset between InAs and arsenic-rich In(As,Sb) alloys, Applied Physics Letters, 69 (17) 2501-2503.
- Dizhur EM, Itskevich ES, Kashirskaya LM, Voronovsky AN, Malik T, Stradling RA & Yuen WT (1996) Galvanomagnetic measurements of the 2D electron-hole gas in GaSb/InAs/GaSb quantum wells at pressures up to 2.5 Gpa, Physica Status Solidi B, 198 (1) 289-294.
- Rahman F, Thornton TJ, Huber R, Cohen LF, Yuen WT & Stradling RA (1996) Superconductor-semiconductor interaction effects in mesoscopic hybrid structures, Physical Review B (Condensed Matter), 54 (19) Article No. 14026.
- Artus L, Stradling RA, Li Y, Webb S, Yuen WT & Chung S (1996) Raman scattering from optical phonons in InAs1-xSbx/InAs strained-layer superlattices, Physical Review B (Condensed Matter), 54 (23) Article No. 16373.
- Chatterjee A & Yuen P (2021) Rapid estimation of orthogonal matching pursuit representation. In: IGARSS 2020 : International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Waikoloa, HI, 26 September - 2 October 2020.
- Ding M, Yuen PWT & Richardson MA (2018) Design of single prism coded aperture snapshot spectral imager using ray tracing simulation. In: 2018 IEEE British and Irish Conference on Optics and Photonics (BICOP), Royal Society, London, 12-14 December 2018.
- Piper J, Yuen P, Godfree P, Ding M, Soori U, Selvagumar S & James D (2016) Comparative noise performance of a coded aperture spectral imager. In: Emerging Imaging and Sensing Technologies, Edinburgh, 28-29 September 2016.
- Tsitiridis A, Yuen PWT, Ibrahim I, Soori U, Chen T, Hong K, Wang ZJ, James D & Richardson M (2011) Enhanced object recognition in cortex-like machine vision.
- Chen T., Yuen P., Hong K., Ibrahim I., Tsitiridis A., Soori U., Jackman J., James D. & Richardson M. (2011) Assessment of tissue blood perfusion in-vitro using hyperspectral and thermal imaging techniques. In: 5th International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering, (iCBBE) 2011, Wuhan, 10-12 May 2011.
- Soori U, Yuen P, Ibrahim I, Han J, Tsitiridis A, Hong K, Chen T, Jackman J, James D & Richardson M (2011) Colour invariant target recognition in multiple camera CCTV surveillance. In: Optics and Photonics for Counterterrorism and Crime Fighting VII; Optical Materials in Defence Systems Technology VIII; and Quantum-Physics-based Information Security, Prague, 19-21 September 2011.
- Tsitiridis A, Yuen P, Hong K, Chen T, Ibrahim I., Jackman J, James D & Richardson M (2010) An improved Cortex-like neuromorphic system for target recognitions. In: Optics and Photonics for Counterterrorism and Crime Fighting VI and Optical Materials in Defence Systems Technology VII, Toulouse, 20-23 September 2010.
- Jackman J, Richardson M, Yuen P, James D, Butters B, Walmsley R & Millwood N (2010) Effect of payload size on pre-emptive flare countermeasure against Man-Portable Air-Defence (MANPAD) system. In: Technologies for Optical Countermeasures VII, Toulouse, 22-23 September 2010.
- Jackman J., Richardson M., Butters B., Walmsley R., Millwood N., Yuen P. & James D. (2010) Effect of pre-emptive flares on Man-Portable Air-Defence (MANPAD) systems with a track angle bias counter-countermeasure (CCM). In: Technologies for Optical Countermeasures VII, Toulouse, 22-23 September 2010.
- Ibrahim I, Yuen P, Tsitiridis A, Hong K, Chen T, Jackman J, James D & Richardson M. (2010) Illumination independent object recognitions in hyperspectral imaging. In: Optics and Photonics for Counterterrorism and Crime Fighting VI and Optical Materials in Defence Systems Technology VII, Toulouse, 20-23 September 2010.
- Yuen P, Tsitiridis A, Hong K, Chen T, Kam F, Jackman J, James D & Richardson M (2009) A cortex like neuromorphic target recognition & tracking in cluttered background. In: 3rd International Conference on Crime Detection and Prevention (ICDP 2009), London, 3 December 2009.
- Jackman J, Richardson M, Butters B, Walmsley R, Millwood N, Yuen P & James D (2009) Analysis of first generation MANPAD attacks on fast jets. In: Technologies for Optical Countermeasures VI, Berlin, 31 August - 1 September 2009.
- Hong K, Yuen P, Chen T, Tsitiridis A, Kam F, Jackman J, James D, Richardson M, Oxford W, Piper J, Thomas F & Lightman S (2009) Detection and classification of stress using thermal imaging technique. In: SPIE: Optics and photonics for counterterrorism and crime fighting V, Berlin, 31 August - 1 September 2009.
- Yuen P, Hong K, Chen T, Tsitiridis A, Kam F, Jackman J, James D, Richardson M, Williams L, Oxford W, Piper J, Thomas F & Lightman S (2009) Emotional & physical stress detection and classification using thermal imaging technique. In: 3rd International Conference on Crime Detection and Prevention (ICDP 2009), London, 3 December 2009.
- Chen T, Yuen P, Hong K, Tsitiridis A, Kam F, Jackman J, James D, Richardson M, Oxford W, Piper J, Thomas F & Lightman S (2009) Remote sensing of stress using Electro-optics imaging technique. In: SPIE: Optics and photonics for counterterrorism and crime fighting V, Berlin, 31 August - 1 September 2009.
- Phillips CC , Tang PJP , Pullin MJ, Hardaway HR, Chung SJ, Yuen WT, Stradling RA, Li YB & Hart L (1997) Room temperature LED's for the mid-infrared based on In(As,Sb) strained layer superlattices. In: Infrared Applications of Semiconductors - Materials, Processing and Devices, 1996, Boston, 2-5 December 1996.
- Liu Y, Yang L, Han J, Lu B, Yuen P, Zhao Y & Song R (2017) Engaging students for the learning and assessment of the advanced computer graphics module using the latest technologies. In: International Conference on Education and New Development, Lisbon, 24-26 June 2017.