Areas of expertise
- Renewable Energy
- Sustainable Manufacturing
Dr Peter King gained an MPhys from Oxford University and joined Cranfield on the MSc in Ultra Precision Technologies course. Following this course he continued at Cranfield working on his PhD in the field of Concentrating Solar Power. On completing his thesis, titled "Form Measurement and Durability of Mirror Surfaces for Concentrating Solar Power Applications", he was appointed as a Research Fellow in Concentrating Solar Thermal Manufacturing at Cranfield. He is now a Lecturer in Concentrating Solar and the Course Director for the Renewable Energy MSc.
Dr King is currently accepting applications for PhD students who wish to undertake research relating to concentrating solar technologies and applications, as well as topics relating to solar energy in general.
Dr King's current research focus is on Concentrating Solar collectors and applications. His research topics include characterising the form errors and optical properties of collector surfaces, and determining how these parameters change over time at CSP plants; methods for the collection and analysis of particles during sandstorms and use of such particles for simulated soiling, sand erosion and ageing testing of mirror surfaces; reducing the water used by CSP plants with the development and evaluation of dust barrier fencing and waterless cleaning technology. In addition, he also works on the development of solar collectors for off-grid/rural applications such as desalination and cooking. His latest research extends to other multi-disciplinary areas such as concentrating PV systems, floating solar, agri-voltaics and space-based solar.
His recent projects include:
FP7-ENERGY-2010-2, Project Number 268219, MATS - "Multipurpose applications by Thermodynamic Solar".
FP7-ENERGY-2013-IRP, Project Number 609837, STAGE STE - "Scientific and Technical Alliance for Guaranteeing the European Excellence in Concentrating Solar Thermal Energy"
H2020-LCE-02-2015, Project number 654479, WASCOP - "Water Saving for Solar Concentrated Power"
H2020-LCE-33-2016, Project number 731287, INSHIP - “Integrating National Research Agendas on Solar Heat for Industrial Processes”
H2020-LCE-11-2017, Project number 792103, SOLWATT – “Solving Water Issues for CSP Plants”
Articles In Journals
- Allauddin U, Rafique MU, Malik O, Rashid O, Waseem A, King P, Karim M & Almond H (2023) Investigation of the thermo-hydraulic performance of a roughened parabolic trough collector, Applied Thermal Engineering, 219, Part B, (January) Article No. 119523.
- Parent PA, Mirzania P, Balta-Ozkan N & King P (2021) Post subsidy conditions: evaluating the techno-economic performance of concentrating solar power in Spain, Solar Energy, 218 (April) 571-586.
- Hussaini Z, King P & Sansom C (2020) Design and configuration of solar thermal multi-tower field layout, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2303 (1) Article No. 030021.
- King P, Sansom C, Almond H, Karim M & Idiazabal L (2020) Simulation of the effect of dust barriers on the reduction of mirror soiling in CSP plants, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2303 (1) Article No. 210004.
- Bennett A, Sansom C, King P, Gobey K & Merkle H (2020) Cleaning concentrating solar power mirrors without water, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2303 (1) Article No. 210001.
- Karim M, Almond H, Sansom C, Balta-Ozkan N, Mirzania P & King P (2020) The effect of concentrated solar power plants on the socio-economic and livelihood assets of the local community and environment, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2303 (1) Article No. 150010.
- King P, Sansom C & Comley P (2020) Photogrammetry for concentrating solar collector form measurement, validated using a coordinate measuring machine, Sustainability, 12 (1) Article No. 196.
- Abdulkarim HT, Sansom CL, Patchigolla K & King P (2020) Statistical and economic analysis of solar radiation and climatic data for the development of solar PV system in Nigeria, Energy Reports, 6, Suppl 1 309-316.
- Hussaini ZA, King P & Sansom C (2020) Numerical simulation and design of multi-tower concentrated solar power fields, Sustainability, 12 (6) Article No. 2402.
- Sansom C, Tonnellier X, King P & Almond H (2019) Concentrating Fresnel lens technology for thermal desalination, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2126 (1) Article No. 230003.
- King P, Sansom C, Almond H & Abdulkarim H (2019) An experimental investigation into factors affecting the soiling of glass mirrors, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2126 (1) Article No. 160004.
- Sansom C, King P, Fernández-García A, Almond H, Kayani T & Boujjat H (2018) The design of dust barriers to reduce collector mirror soiling in CSP plants, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2033 (1) Article No. 030017.
- Sansom C, Fernández-García A, King P, Sutter F & Segura AG (2017) Reflectometer comparison for assessment of back-silvered glass solar mirrors, Solar Energy, 155 496-505.
- Perini S, Tonnellier X, King P & Sansom C (2017) Theoretical and experimental analysis of an innovative dual-axis tracking linear Fresnel lenses concentrated solar thermal collector, Solar Energy, 153 (September) 679-690.
- Sansom C, Almond H, King P, Endaya E & Bouaichaoui S (2017) Airborne sand and dust soiling of solar collecting mirrors, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1850 Article No. 130011.
- Sansom C, Fernández-García A, Sutter F, Almond H, King P & Martínez-Arcos L (2016) Soiling and cleaning of polymer film solar reflectors, Energies, 9 (12) Article No. 1006.
- King P, Comley P & Sansom C (2013) Parabolic trough surface form mapping using photogrammetry and its validation with a large Coordinate Measuring Machine, Energy Procedia, 49 118-125.
- Sansom C, Patchigolla K, Jonnalagadda K & King P (2022) Design of a novel CSP/MED desalination system. In: SOLARPACES 2020: 26th International Conference on Concentrating Solar Power and Chemical Energy Systems, Freiburg, Germany, 28 September - 2 October 2020.
- Wolfertstetter F, Wilbert S, Terhag F, Hanrieder N, Fernandez-Garciá A, Sansom C, King P, Zarzalejo L & Ghennioui A (2019) Modelling the soiling rate: Dependencies on meteorological parameters. In: SolarPACES 2018: International Conference on Concentrating Solar Power and Chemical Energy Systems, Casablanca, 2-5 October 2018.
- Sansom C, Fernández-García A, Sutter F, Almond H & King P (2016) Contact cleaning of polymer film solar reflectors. In: SolarPACES 2015, Cape Town, 13-16 October 2015.
- Sansom C, Comley P, King P, Almond H, Atkinson C & Endaya E (2015) Predicting the effects of sand erosion on collector surfaces in CSP plants. In: SolarPACES 2014, Beijing, 16-19 September 2014.