Areas of expertise
- Precision Engineering
- Renewable Energy
- Sustainable Manufacturing
Dr Peter King gained an MPhys from Oxford University and joined Cranfield on the MSc in Ultra Precision Technologies course. Following this course he continued at Cranfield working on his PhD in the field of Concentrating Solar Power. On completing his thesis, titled "Form Measurement and Durability of Mirror Surfaces for Concentrating Solar Power Applications", he was appointed as a Research Fellow in Concentrating Solar Thermal Manufacturing at Cranfield.
Dr Peter King's current research is focused on the field of Concentrating Solar Power. His interests include assessment of solar collector shapes with ground and UAV based photogrammetry and the evaluation of mirror durability using sand erosion and simulated cleaning.
His current projects include:
FP7-ENERGY-2010-2, Project Number 268219, MATS - "Multipurpose applications by Thermodynamic Solar".
FP7-ENERGY-2013-IRP, Project Number 609837, STAGE STE - "Scientific and Technical Alliance for Guaranteeing the European Excellence in Concentrating Solar Thermal Energy"
H2020-LCE-02-2015, Project number 654479, WASCOP - "Water Saving for Solar Concentrated Power"
H2020-LCE-33-2016, Project number 731287, INSHIP - “Integrating National Research Agendas on Solar Heat for Industrial Processes”
H2020-LCE-11-2017, Project number 792103, SOLWATT – “Solving Water Issues for CSP Plants”
Articles In Journals
- Hussaini ZA, King P & Sansom C (2020) Numerical simulation and design of multi-tower concentrated solar power fields, Sustainability, 12 (6) Article No. 2402.
- King P, Sansom C & Comley P (2020) Photogrammetry for concentrating solar collector form measurement, validated using a coordinate measuring machine, Sustainability, 12 (1) Article No. 196.
- Sansom C, Tonnellier X, King P & Almond H (2019) Concentrating Fresnel lens technology for thermal desalination, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2126 Article No. 230003.
- King P, Sansom C, Almond H & Abdulkarim H (2019) An experimental investigation into factors affecting the soiling of glass mirrors, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2126 Article No. 160004.
- Sansom C, King P, Fernández-García A, Almond H, Kayani T & Boujjat H (2018) The design of dust barriers to reduce collector mirror soiling in CSP plants, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2033 (1) Article No. 030017.
- Perini S, Tonnellier X, King P & Sansom C (2017) Theoretical and experimental analysis of an innovative dual-axis tracking linear Fresnel lenses concentrated solar thermal collector, Solar Energy, 153 (September) 679-690.
- Sansom C, Almond H, King P, Endaya E & Bouaichaoui S (2017) Airborne sand and dust soiling of solar collecting mirrors, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1850 Article No. 130011.
- Sansom C, Fernández-García A, Sutter F, Almond H, King P & Martínez-Arcos L (2016) Soiling and cleaning of polymer film solar reflectors, Energies, 9 (12) Article No. 1006.
- King P, Comley P & Sansom C (2013) Parabolic trough surface form mapping using photogrammetry and its validation with a large Coordinate Measuring Machine, Energy Procedia, 49 118-125.
- Wolfertstetter F, Wilbert S, Terhag F, Hanrieder N, Fernandez-Garciá A, Sansom C, King P, Zarzalejo L & Ghennioui A (2019) Modelling the soiling rate: Dependencies on meteorological parameters. In: SolarPACES 2018: International Conference on Concentrating Solar Power and Chemical Energy Systems, Casablanca, 2-5 October 2018.
- Sansom C, Fernández-García A, Sutter F, Almond H & King P (2016) Contact cleaning of polymer film solar reflectors. In: SolarPACES 2015, Cape Town, 13-16 October 2015.
- Sansom C, Comley P, King P, Almond H, Atkinson C & Endaya E (2015) Predicting the effects of sand erosion on collector surfaces in CSP plants. In: SolarPACES 2014, Beijing, 16-19 September 2014.