Contact Dr Peter Clough
- Tel: +44 (0) 1234 754873
- Email: P.T.Clough@cranfield.ac.uk
- Twitter: @PTClough
- Google Scholar
Dr Peter Clough is a Senior Lecturer in Energy Engineering with expertise in thermochemical processes that produce hydrogen or capture CO2.
Dr Clough received an MEng in Environmental Engineering from The University of Nottingham and went on to complete a PhD in Chemical Engineering at Imperial College London. His PhD research focussed on high-temperature solid looping cycles and sorption enhanced steam reforming / gasification of biomass for the production of clean hydrogen.
In 2017, Dr Clough joined Cranfield University's Energy and Sustainability Theme to continue his work into hydrogen and decarbonisation technologies. Dr Clough's research is centred around the theme of clean energy, specifically low carbon hydrogen production, carbon capture, and catalytic/non-catalytic material development and testing. Within these fields, his research group investigates reaction kinetics and mechanisms, applies machine learning to design and optimise materials, and studies decarbonisation processes.
Dr Clough is an Associate Member of the Institute of Chemical Engineers [AMIChemE] and an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Association [AFHEA].
For HyPER opportunities, please see the HyPER website - www.hyperh2.co.uk
Dr Clough is currently accepting applications from PhD candidates.
Current PhD opportunities, although always willing to discuss other potential projects:
- Low carbon hydrogen production
- Carbon capture technologies
- High-temperature solids looping cycles (Sorbent enhanced reforming, calcium and chemical looping)
- Catalytic material development from molecular modelling to experimental testing
- Machine Learning applied to chemical engineering
- Ammonia production via chemical looping
- Greenhouse gas removal technologies and machine learning approaches to optimisation.
- Seawater electrolysis
- Direct conversion of solar to H2
Current projects include:
- HyPER project (Low-carbon hydrogen production by sorption enhanced reforming - https://hyperh2.co.uk/).
- Fugitive amine emissions scrubbing using electrostatic precipitation.
- Material development for CO2/N2/O2 adsorption technologies.
- Decarbonisation of industrial processes.
- Machine learning for catalytic materials design and optimisation.
- Gasification of waste plastic for hydrogen production.
- Methanol to SAF material development and reactor design.
- Ammonia conversion and production.
Articles In Journals
- Gorbounov M, Petrovic B, Ozmen S, Clough P & Soltani SM (2023) Activated carbon derived from biomass combustion bottom ash as solid sorbent for CO2 adsorption, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 194 (June) 325-343.
- Wang S, Nabavi SA & Clough PT (2023) A review on bi/polymetallic catalysts for steam methane reforming, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 48 (42) 15879-15893.
- Capa A, Yan Y, Rubiera F, Pevida C, Gil MV & Clough PT (2023) Process simulations of high-purity and renewable clean H2 production by sorption enhanced steam reforming of biogas, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 11 (12) 4759-4775.
- Mousavi SB, Heidari M, Rahmani F, Sene RA, Clough PT & Ozmen S (2023) Highly robust Zr-stabilized CaO nanoadsorbent developed by a facile one-pot MWCNT-assistance method for CO2 capture under realistic calcium looping conditions, Journal of Cleaner Production, 384 (January) Article No. 135579.
- Asibor JO, Clough PT, Nabavi SA & Manovic V (2022) A country-level assessment of the deployment potential of greenhouse gas removal technologies, Journal of Environmental Management, 323 (December) Article No. 116211. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.20427804
- Heidari M, Mousavi SB, Rahmani F, Clough PT & Ozmen S (2022) The novel Carbon Nanotube-assisted development of highly porous CaZrO3-CaO xerogel with boosted sorption activity towards high-temperature cyclic CO2 capture, Energy Conversion and Management, 274 (December) Article No. 116461.
- Nkulikiyinka P, Wagland S, Manovic V & Clough P (2022) Prediction of combined sorbent and catalyst materials (CSCM) for SE-SMR, using QSPR and multi-task learning, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 61 (26) 9218-9233. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.19241682
- Ghaedi H, Kalhor P, Zhao M, Clough PT, Anthony EJ & Fennell PS (2022) Potassium carbonate-based ternary transition temperature mixture (deep eutectic analogues) for CO2 absorption: characterizations and DFT analysis, Frontiers of Environmental Science and Engineering, 16 (7) Article No. 92.
- Güleç F, Erdogan A, Clough PT & Lester E (2021) Investigation of the hydrodynamics in the regenerator of fluid catalytic cracking unit integrated by chemical looping combustion, Fuel Processing Technology, 223 (December) Article No. 106998.
- Jiang G, Sanchez Monsalve DA, Clough P, Jiang Y & Leeke G (2021) Understanding the dechlorination of chlorinated hydrocarbons in the pyrolysis of mixed plastics, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 9 (4) 1576-1589.
- Asibor JO, Clough PT, Nabavi SA & Manovic V (2021) Assessment of optimal conditions for the performance of greenhouse gas removal methods, Journal of Environmental Management, 294 (September) Article No. 113039.
- Yan Y, Borhani TN, Subraveti SG, Pai KN, Prasad V, Rajendran A, Nkulikiyinka P, Asibor JO, Zhang Z, Shao D, Wang L, Zhang W, Yan Y, Ampomah W, You J, Wang M, Anthony E, Manovic V & Clough PT (2021) Harnessing the power of machine learning for carbon capture, utilisation, and storage (CCUS) – A state-of-the-art review, Energy and Environmental Science, 14 (12) 6122-6157.
- Masoudi Soltani S, Lahiri A, Bahzad H, Clough P, Gorbounov M & Yan Y (2021) Sorption-enhanced steam methane reforming for combined CO2 capture and hydrogen production: a state-of-the-art review, Carbon Capture Science and Technology, 1 (December) Article No. 100003.
- Zha J, Huang Y, Zhu Z, Yu M, Clough PT, Yan Y, Dong L & Cheng H (2021) Dynamic transformations of metals in the burning solid matter during combustion of heavy metal-contaminated biomass, ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 9 (20) 7063-7073.
- Zha J, Zhu Z, Huang Y, Clough PT & Xia Z (2021) Gaseous CdCl2 and PbCl2 adsorption by limestone at high temperature: mechanistic study through experiments and theoretical calculation, Applied Surface Science, 555 (July) Article No. 149669.
- Wang K, Gu F, Clough PT, Zhao Y, Zhao P & Anthony EJ (2021) Molten shell-activated, high-performance, un-doped Li4SiO4 for high-temperature CO2 capture at low CO2 concentrations, Chemical Engineering Journal, 408 (March) Article No. 127353.
- Zha J, Huang Y, Clough PT, Xia Z, Zhu Z, Fan C, Yu M, Yan Y & Cheng H (2021) Green production of a novel sorbent from kaolin for capturing gaseous PbCl2 in a furnace, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 404, Pt. B (February) Article No. 124045.
- Wang K, Gu F, Clough PT, Zhao P & Anthony EJ (2020) Porous MgO-stabilized CaO-based powders/pellets via a citric acid-based carbon template for thermochemical energy storage in concentrated solar power plants, Chemical Engineering Journal, 390 (June) Article No. 124163.
- Yan Y, Thanganadar D, Clough PT, Mukherjee S, Patchigolla K, Manovic V & Anthony EJ (2020) Process simulations of blue hydrogen production by upgraded sorption enhanced steam methane reforming (SE-SMR) processes, Energy Conversion and Management, 222 (October) Article No. 113144.
- Ahmadi A, Ignatova S, Ketabchi MR, Clough P & Soltani SM (2020) Commercial waste wood in the removal of methylene blue from aqueous media, Desalination and Water Treatment, 198 (September) 407-421.
- Yan Y, Manovic V, Anthony EJ & Clough PT (2020) Techno-economic analysis of low-carbon hydrogen production by sorption enhanced steam methane reforming (SE-SMR) processes, Energy Conversion and Management, 226 (December) Article No. 113530.
- Zha J, Huang Y, Clough PT, Dong L, Xu L, Liu L, Zhu Z & Yu M (2020) Desulfurization using limestone during sludge incineration in a fluidized bed furnace: Increased risk of particulate matter and heavy metal emissions, Fuel, 273 (August) Article No. 117614.
- Nkulikiyinka P, Yan Y, Gulec F, Manovic V & Clough PT (2020) Prediction of sorption enhanced steam methane reforming products from machine learning based soft-sensor models, Energy and AI, 2 (November) Article No. 100037. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13256633, 10.17862/cranfield.rd.13256573
- Yan Y, Clough PT & Anthony EJ (2020) Investigation of the apparent kinetics of air and oxy-fuel biomass combustion in a spouted fluidised-bed reactor, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 153 (January) 276-283. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.7484870
- Yan Y, Wang K, Clough PT & Anthony EA (2020) Developments in calcium/chemical looping and metal oxide redox cycles for high-temperature thermochemical energy storage: A review, Fuel Processing Technology, 199 (March) Article No. 106280.
- Yan Y, Mattisson T, Moldenhauer P, Anthony EJ & Clough PT (2020) Applying machine learning algorithms in estimating the performance of heterogeneous, multi-component materials as oxygen carriers for chemical-looping processes, Chemical Engineering Journal, 387 (May) Article No. 124072. Dataset/s: 10.17862/cranfield.rd.9892055
- Ghaedi H, Zhao M, Clough PT, Anthony EJ & Fennell PS (2019) High CO2 absorption in new amine based-transition-temperature mixtures (deep eutectic analogues) and reporting thermal stability, viscosity and surface tension: Response surface methodology (RSM), Journal of Molecular Liquids, 316 (October) Article No. 113863.
- Wang K, Clough PT, Zhao P & Anthony EJ (2019) Synthesis of highly effective stabilized-CaO sorbents via a sacrificial N-doped carbon nanosheet template, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 7 (15) 9173-9182.
- Wang K, Zhao Y, Clough PT, Zhao P & Anthony EJ (2019) Structural and kinetic analysis of CO2 sorption on NaNO2-promoted MgO at moderate temperatures, Chemical Engineering Journal, 372 (September) 886-895.
- Wang K, Zhao Y, Clough PT, Zhao P & Anthony EJ (2019) Sorption of CO2 on NaBr co-doped Li4SiO4 ceramics: Structural and kinetic analysis, Fuel Processing Technology, 195 (December) Article No. 106143.
- Yang H, Ji G, Clough PT, Xu X & Zhao M (2019) Kinetics of catalytic biomass pyrolysis using Ni-based functional materials, Fuel Processing Technology, 195 (December) Article No. 106145.
- Wang K, Gu F, Clough P, Zhao P & Anthony E (2019) CO2 capture performance of gluconic acid modified limestone-dolomite mixtures under realistic conditions, Energy and Fuels, 33 (8) 7550-7560.
- Anthony B & Clough P (2019) Is carbon capture storage about to have its day?, Brink News.
- Clough PT, Greco G, Erans M, Coppola A, Montagnaro F & Anthony E (2018) The extent of sorbent attrition and degradation of ethanol treated CaO sorbents for CO2 capture within a fluidised bed reactor, Fuel Processing Technology, 171 (March) 198-204.
- Ji G, Yao JG, Clough PT, Diniz da Costa JC, Anthony EJ, Fennell PS, Wang W & Zhao M (2018) Enhanced hydrogen production from thermochemical processes, Energy and Environmental Science, 11 (10) 2647-2672.
- Clough PT, Boot-Handford ME, Zheng L, Zhang Z & Fennell PS (2018) Hydrogen production by sorption enhanced steam reforming (SESR) of biomass in a fluidised-bed reactor using combined multifunctional particles, Materials, 11 (5) Article No. 859.
- Seddighi S, Clough PT, Anthony EJ , Hughes RW & Lu P (2018) Scale-up challenges and opportunities for carbon capture by oxy-fuel fluidized beds, Applied Energy, 232 (December) 527-542.
- Gonzalez B, Blamey J, Al-Jeboori MJ, Florin NH, Clough PT & Fennell PS (2016) Additive effects of steam addition and HBr doping for CaO-based sorbents for CO2 capture, Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 103 (May) 21-26.
- Clough PT, Boot-Handford ME, Zhao M & Fennell PS (2016) Degradation study of a novel polymorphic sorbent under realistic post-combustion conditions, Fuel, 186 (December) 708-713.
- Sikarwar VS, Zhao M, Clough P, Yao J, Zhong X, Memon MZ, Shah N, Anthony EJ & Fennell PS (2016) An overview of advances in biomass gasification, Energy and Environmental Science, 9 (10) 2939-2977.
- Lesemann M, Mays J, Clough PT, Oakey J, Adedipe T & Duncan A (2022) Hydrogen production with integrated CO2 capture via sorbent enhanced reforming. In: 16th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, GHGT-16, Lyon, 23-27 October 2022.
- Petrovic B, Gorbounov M, Özmen S, Clough P & Soltani SM (2022) Synthesis of nanoporous type A and X zeolite mixtures from biomass combustion fly ash for post-combustion carbon capture. In: 2022 IEEE 22nd International Conference on Nanotechnology (NANO), Palma de Mallorca, 4-8 July 2022.
- Gorbounov M, Petrovic B, Özmen S, Clough P, Bekmuratova D & Masoudi Soltani S (2022) Development of nanoporosity on a biomass combustion ash-derived carbon for CO2 adsorption. In: 2022 IEEE 22nd International Conference on Nanotechnology (NANO), Palma de Mallorca, 4-8 July 2022.
- Yan Y, Borhani N & Clough P (2020) Machine learning applications in chemical engineering. In: Machine learning in chemistry: the impact of artificial intelligence, Royal Society of Chemistry, p. 340-371.
- Anthony EJ & Clough P (2019) Post-combustion carbon capture and storage in industry. In: CO2 Separation, Puriﬁcation and Conversion to Chemicals and Fuels, Springer, p. 39-53.