Contact Dr Peter Clough
Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Carbon Capture & Storage
- Conventional & Advanced Fuels
- Process Systems Engineering
Dr Peter Clough is a lecturer in Energy Engineering. Dr Clough received his masters degree in Environmental Engineering (MEng hons 1st) from The University of Nottingham in 2013. He then went on to complete a PhD in Chemical Engineering at Imperial College London, where he worked on the application of high-temperature solid looping cycles for sorption enhanced steam gasification and reforming of biomass for the production of H2.
Dr Clough is currently accepting applications for PhD students.
Current PhD opportunities below, although willing to discuss other potential projects.
Dr Clough is focussed on experimental research and development around many forms of clean energy production and use. His primary activities are linked to hydrogen production particularly via Sorption Enhanced Steam Reforming (SESR), which stems from his background in calcium and chemical looping cycles for advanced applications. He is also greatly interested in the upgrading and conversion of biomass and waste materials into valuable commodities and applications of machine learning in chemical processes.
Dr Clough has a keen involvement and well rounded experience in CCS and other innovative technologies that have the ability to lower the CO2 emissions of industrial processes. His students are currently working on decreasing the production of noxious gases from oxyfuel combustion of waste materials, material development for chemical looping, and assessing the impact of hydrogen addition into a natural gas grid.
- Johnson Matthey
- Doosan Babcock
- Gas Technology Institute
- Carbon8 Systems
- Syngas Products
- IEA CCC
- Progressive Energy
Articles In Journals
- Wang K, Zhao Y, Clough PT, Zhao P & Anthony EJ (2019) Structural and kinetic analysis of CO2 sorption on NaNO2-promoted MgO at moderate temperatures, Chemical Engineering Journal, 372 (September) 886-895.
- Wang K, Clough PT, Zhao P, Anthony & EJ (2019) Synthesis of highly effective stabilized-CaO sorbents via a sacrificial N-doped carbon nanosheet template, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 7 (15) 9173-9182.
- Anthony B & Clough P (2019) Is carbon capture storage about to have its day?, Brink News.
- Clough PT, Greco G, Erans M, Coppola A, Montagnaro F & Anthony E (2018) The extent of sorbent attrition and degradation of ethanol treated CaO sorbents for CO2 capture within a fluidised bed reactor, Fuel Processing Technology, 171 (March) 198-204.
- Clough PT, Boot-Handford ME, Zheng L, Zhang Z & Fennell PS (2018) Hydrogen production by sorption enhanced steam reforming (SESR) of biomass in a fluidised-bed reactor using combined multifunctional particles, Materials, 11 (5) Article No. 859.
- Ji G, Yao JG, Clough PT, Diniz da Costa JC, Anthony EJ, Fennell PS, Wang W & Zhao M (2018) Enhanced hydrogen production from thermochemical processes, Energy and Environmental Science, 11 (10) 2647-2672.
- Seddighi S, Clough PT, Anthony EJ , Hughes RW & Lu P (2018) Scale-up challenges and opportunities for carbon capture by oxy-fuel fluidized beds, Applied Energy, 232 (December) 527-542.