Contact Dr Peter Clough
Areas of expertise
- Biomass and Waste
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Conventional & Advanced Fuels
- Process Systems Engineering
Dr Peter Clough is a lecturer in Energy Engineering. Dr Clough received his masters degree in Environmental Engineering (1st class MEng hons) from The University of Nottingham in 2013. He then went on to complete a PhD in Chemical Engineering at Imperial College London, where he worked on the application of high-temperature solid looping cycles for sorption enhanced steam gasification and reforming of biomass for the production of CO2 abated hydrogen.
Dr Clough is currently accepting applications for PhD students in the fields of:
- Machine Learning applied to Chemical Engineering
- Hydrogen production via thermochemical routes
- Carbon capture and storage technologies (primarily calcium and chemical looping)
- Catalytic porous foams
Current PhD opportunities, although always willing to discuss other potential projects.
Dr Clough's experimental research is centred around the theme of clean energy, specifically hydrogen production, carbon capture and storage, and catalytic material development and testing. Within these fields his research students and post-doctoral researchers apply machine learning to aid the control and safety of reactors, predict optimal material properties, and explain the most important features within a system.
He is the PI for a £260k project investigating material development for CO2 adsorption technologies, a Co-I on a £500k Phase 1 decarbonised bulk hydrogen supply project, a Co-I on a £200k UKCCSRC project studying the scale up of chemical looping technologies. Dr Clough also regularly advises and consults for various other clients.
- Johnson Matthey
- Doosan Babcock
- Gas Technology Institute
- Carbon8 Systems
- Syngas Products
- IEA CCC
- Progressive Energy
Articles In Journals
- Wang K, Zhao Y, Clough PT, Zhao P & Anthony EJ (2019) Structural and kinetic analysis of CO2 sorption on NaNO2-promoted MgO at moderate temperatures, Chemical Engineering Journal, 372 (September) 886-895.
- Wang K, Gu F, Clough P, Zhao P & Anthony E (2019) CO2 capture performance of gluconic acid modified limestone-dolomite mixtures under realistic conditions, Energy and Fuels, 33 (8) 7550-7560.
- Wang K, Zhao Y, Clough PT, Zhao P & Anthony EJ (2019) Sorption of CO2 on NaBr co-doped Li4SiO4 ceramics: Structural and kinetic analysis, Fuel Processing Technology, 195 (December) Article No. 106143.
- Yang H, Ji G, Clough PT, Xu X & Zhao M (2019) Kinetics of catalytic biomass pyrolysis using Ni-based functional materials, Fuel Processing Technology, 195 (December) Article No. 106145.
- Wang K, Clough PT, Zhao P, Anthony & EJ (2019) Synthesis of highly effective stabilized-CaO sorbents via a sacrificial N-doped carbon nanosheet template, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 7 (15) 9173-9182.
- Anthony B & Clough P (2019) Is carbon capture storage about to have its day?, Brink News.
- Ji G, Yao JG, Clough PT, Diniz da Costa JC, Anthony EJ, Fennell PS, Wang W & Zhao M (2018) Enhanced hydrogen production from thermochemical processes, Energy and Environmental Science, 11 (10) 2647-2672.
- Clough PT, Greco G, Erans M, Coppola A, Montagnaro F & Anthony E (2018) The extent of sorbent attrition and degradation of ethanol treated CaO sorbents for CO2 capture within a fluidised bed reactor, Fuel Processing Technology, 171 (March) 198-204.
- Clough PT, Boot-Handford ME, Zheng L, Zhang Z & Fennell PS (2018) Hydrogen production by sorption enhanced steam reforming (SESR) of biomass in a fluidised-bed reactor using combined multifunctional particles, Materials, 11 (5) Article No. 859.
- Seddighi S, Clough PT, Anthony EJ , Hughes RW & Lu P (2018) Scale-up challenges and opportunities for carbon capture by oxy-fuel fluidized beds, Applied Energy, 232 (December) 527-542.
- Sikarwar VS, Zhao M, Clough P, Yao J, Zhong X, Memon MZ, Shah N, Anthony EJ & Fennell PS (2016) An overview of advances in biomass gasification, Energy and Environmental Science, 9 (10) 2939-2977.
- Clough PT, Boot-Handford ME, Zhao M & Fennell PS. (2016) Degradation study of a novel polymorphic sorbent under realistic post-combustion conditions, Fuel, 186 708-713.
- Gonzalez B, Blamey J, Al-Jeboori MJ, Florin NH, Clough PT & Fennell PS (2016) Additive effects of steam addition and HBr doping for CaO-based sorbents for CO2 capture, Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 103 (May) 21-26.